Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'm glad to have so much great company with me at The Official Table For One, where I once again take my seat at the head of the table. I say we vote to let @Clanstarling join us as guest so as to partake in the wonderous culinary feast soon to be set by the talented chef known as @Mindthinkr.

Works for me! I'll bring a (purchased!) bag full of a fine West Virginia delicacy -- pepperoni rolls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepperoni_roll

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Ailianna said:

4/5 but mostly guesses except C-SPAN.

I need to borrow your guesser.

@secnarf, I used to work with the head photographer for the New York Times group. He was based in Florida and was at every launch during that time span. He said they actually got boring, hard to find new and interesting views to shoot. He also was one of the photogs waiting with reporters outside the Miami house where Elián González was staying, for anyone who remembers that. Tony had so many interesting stories.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

Works for me! I'll bring a (purchased!) bag full of a fine West Virginia delicacy -- pepperoni rolls.

My best friend in college was from Parkersburg, and now I am really upset she never mentioned pepperoni rolls, which means, of course, I never got any when I visited her. They sound delicious.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

I'm in the Huntington area, but you can get pepperoni rolls in every grocery store. And gas station convenience store, but I don't buy mine there!

2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

My best friend in college was from Parkersburg, and now I am really upset she never mentioned pepperoni rolls, which means, of course, I never got any when I visited her. They sound delicious.

I grew up in Charleston, which is pretty much central WV, but I never heard of pepperoni rolls until I moved to the more northeast area for college. I wouldn’t have expected them to be a thing in Huntington or Parkersburg. And I guess we can now return you to our non-West Virginia programming. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

3/5 no *

I guessed CNN for Thursday & the only answer I could think of for Friday was the Swiss Guards.  Which made no sense since Switzerland =/= invasion force. The hubster guessed the French Navy. Spanish Armada seems so obvious after the fact! 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

3/5 no *

I guessed CNN for Thursday & the only answer I could think of for Friday was the Swiss Guards.  Which made no sense since Switzerland =/= invasion force. The hubster guessed the French Navy. Spanish Armada seems so obvious after the fact! 

Aren't the Swiss Guards the ones who protect the Pope?

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Aren't the Swiss Guards the ones who protect the Pope?

Yes. There was a photo shown of the SGs in their flamboyant uniforms on some game show recently. None of the players could ID them. Might have been a Jeopardy episode.

I've never had cable so said Nat Geo for that FJ clue. Everyone, feel free to laugh.

• Love 2

2/5 which is honestly better than I thought it would be when I read the questions.   🙂  Sun king=sun god and entropy are things I know but having had a recording malfunction and having gotten the answers and questions from the net this week I'm still confused about how the rhyme works.. I mean I get that Seuss is pronounced Soice... I just feel like Voice is a better rhyme as it doesn't have the extra syllable.   

• Love 4

There are two, two, two contest winners this week, Week 21. It just so happens they sit next to each other on my score sheet, and they've posted identical scores for the last four weeks. Not that I'm implying anything. But @theartandsound and @Toothbrush are being awarded the very special The MIRRORmirror Week 21 Award, created just for them. Enjoy your special week, you two. And I might add, those scores for four weeks running are pretty darn good. It will be a long time, if ever, you are seated at Saber's special table. Congratulations! and good luck, or rather, good knowing, this week!

897795290_mirror0copy.jpg.1c1f25e73e4a944739d3da045c2a791c.jpg

• Love 10

Save me a seat at the table for 1 -- 1/5 this week.

I really am an idiot!  No idea why I thought yesterday was Friday.  There’s still hope for me to be at the table for two!

Edited by Browncoat
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Save me a seat at the table for 1 -- 1/5 this week.

I really am an idiot!  No idea why I thought yesterday was Friday.  There’s still hope for me to be at the table for two!

This week I've been ahead of myself all week (to the point of nearly submitting my time card on Tuesday) and then yesterday (my end of week), I thought it was Wednesday. I feel your pain.

Right now I'm 1/5, hope we both make it to 2/5 today!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Right now I'm 1/5, hope we both make it to 2/5 today!

Yeah, okay, go ahead and desert me you guys. I was thankful for yesterday since I thought I'd be at The Table For Zeros this week. Interesting that Walt Disney was easy for me, not so easy for the players. Proof again that I live in Bizarro World.

I'm once again 1/5. Yeay me. The King of Consistency, if that's anything to brag about.

Side note: Spending Friday watching Hawaii Five-O. It's somehow comforting to see people in shirt sleeves and surfing when it's been -10 here since Feb. 2 and will be all next week too, with snow as high as an elephant's eye. Or, as high as Saber's eye.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Yeah, okay, go ahead and desert me you guys. I was thankful for yesterday since I thought I'd be at The Table For Zeros this week. Interesting that Walt Disney was easy for me, not so easy for the players. Proof again that I live in Bizarro World.

I'm once again 1/5. Yeay me. The King of Consistency, if that's anything to brag about.

Side note: Spending Friday watching Hawaii Five-O. It's somehow comforting to see people in shirt sleeves and surfing when it's been -10 here since Feb. 2 and will be all next week too, with snow as high as an elephant's eye. Or, as high as Saber's eye.

I'll never desert you, I always make return visits, and may well be there once the show is over today. 🙂

I can see how watching 5-0 helps with the cold - I hate watching shows in the snow when it's cold here. But thankfully, it never gets that cold. Just enough to remind me that I don't like the cold, even if I keep the house at 62 in the winter.

• LOL 2

Bless your heart, @Clanstarling. It's nice to have company. Watching Five-O's resident eye candy Alex O'Loughlin helps distract me from my awful environment too. Even though I am wearing a stocking cap, hoodie with hood up and gloves while watching/typing this. He (almost) can make me forget real life.

I like to watch Deadliest Catch in the summer when it's a 90-degree sweat box in the upper Midwest. Although my memory of that temperature is vague and not reliable at the moment.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I'll never desert you, I always make return visits, and may well be there once the show is over today. 🙂

I can see how watching 5-0 helps with the cold - I hate watching shows in the snow when it's cold here. But thankfully, it never gets that cold. Just enough to remind me that I don't like the cold, even if I keep the house at 62 in the winter.

When Lawrence of Arabia came out, it played in the Miami area in one theater. Customers complained about how hot it was inside the theater.  Three years later, Doctor Zhivago played in that same theater - and people complained about how cold it was in the theater.  Manager said it was the same temp both times.

I may be at the Table for One this week, as well. I have to wait until Saber posts the summary of the days - I don't remember from day to day, but when I see the summary, I remember what I did & didn't get.  I know I got yesterday's.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

First seated at the Table for One??   Week 22: 1/5  0*   Overall: 60/110   8*

Welcome to my table @illdoc. Will post clues in a bit for you PW.

ETA: Welcome to my table @Browncoat. I hope more will join us. I do loves me some company.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4

WEEK 22 • Feb. 8, 2021 — TWO asterisk **
* 106. World Literature. In a classic novel from 1866, the murders of 2 women take place in this city. *
107. The 50 States. While it has only 31 miles of coastline on the Atlantic, its shoreline is almost 3,200 miles thanks to a large estuary & its tributaries.
108. Historic Namesakes. This aircraft was named for the second president of the Weimar Republic.
109. The Oscars. The first time an individual won 4 awards at a single ceremony was in 1954, when his wins included Best 2-Reel Short Subject.
* 110. Ancient Greek Philosophers. Asked to describe this 4th century B.C. member of the Cynics, Plato called him “a Socrates gone mad.”

Edited by saber5055
43 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

Oh, what shall I bring this week? I just fixed homemade egg drop soup, with (purchased) mini-wontons. Happy Chinese New Year!!

YES! Happy Chinese New Year today, celebrating the Year of the Ox. That, plus I am really craving some hot soup, and egg drop is my fav. Well, right after hot and sour.

So happy to have company. It's been a lonesome week/month.

Google Chinese New Year and see fireworks! Yeay!

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I am really craving some hot soup, and egg drop is my fav. Well, right after hot and sour.

Does anyone have a good recipe for hot and sour soup?  It's my fav too.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Driad said:

Is there a table for 2 near the table for 1?  I can bring dim sum.

I will arrange to pull up an honorary chair for you as High Scorer of the Week (well, so far anyway). You and your dim sum are welcome! Everyone is making me very happy tonight! @Mindthinkr, might I request something suitable for our Chinese New Year celebration from you? I can bring the hot tea, the only thing I can make that is safe for others to partake of.

1 minute ago, Driad said:

Does anyone have a good recipe for hot and sour soup?  It's my fav too.

I looked up some recipes after I posted that, and discovered I don't have half of the ingredients. I can make the egg drop though, so all is not lost.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

you may request anything. I’ll make some egg rolls because they symbolize bars of gold and represent wealth. I also love hot and sour soup so I’d be happy to make some, but would have to go to the store for ingredients. 

We do need new emojis here, a yummy AND a yipee! I could use a little share-the-wealth bars of gold right now. You guys are the BEST.

• Love 2

Count me in for the table for one! I'll bring pancakes haha - our discussion of them earlier made me crave some, and it is "Pancake Tuesday" this week!

Edit: I really did get 1/5, not just joining for the great company!

Edited by secnarf
  • Love 5

3/5 no * (again!)

I guessed Moscow on Monday, & I didn't even try Friday because I never get the Greek philosophers right. Hindenberg was a guess for Wednesday, but it was the only German aircraft name that I could think of. 

We had wonton soup, sesame chicken, lettuce wraps, & egg rolls for our Chinese New Year dinner. And a ton of fried wonton strips which my kids called Chinese Fritos when they were little.  

56 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Count me in for the table for one! I'll bring pancakes haha - our discussion of them earlier made me crave some, and it is "Pancake Tuesday" this week!

Mardi Gras! 

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Noisy fireworks should be outlawed.

Fireworks are illegal here (Illinois), but it doesn't stop the neighbors from going to Wisconsin/Indiana to buy them and set them off (not for New Year's this year, but every night for about a month around Independence Day)

• Love 2

I didn't know yesterday was Chinese New Year until it was posted here. The Google search page was neat, google Chinese New Year and fireworks shot up from the bottom of the page and exploded, NOISELESSLY, I might add. It was just nice and made me happy to see the day celebrated, albeit only on a search page.

My closest neighbor is a quarter mile away and I haven't seen (or heard) fireworks, which I have to drive about 10 miles for, for a few years. Sometimes a person at a farm down the road will fire off a shotgun on our New Years Eve, but it never wakes me up if anyone is still doing that.

The last meal I had in a restaurant was Chinese, in September 2019. I love Chinese food so can't wait for us all to take a seat at our respective tables to partake in the bounty of Week 22.

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Potstickers anyone?

Yes, please! *raises hand and waves*

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4