Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

19 hours ago, secnarf said:

I'll bring pancakes haha - our discussion of them earlier made me crave some, and it is "Pancake Tuesday" this week!

Good! Because I am craving pancakes too, since the discussion here. And yours would be delicious while mine wouldn't even be edible. Insert YUMMY emoji!

• Love 2

1/5. Lots of that going around this week!

The talk of egg drop soup reminds me of a Nancy comic I saw as a kid. She was walking home from the store and dropped the bag, breaking the eggs. She was afraid to go home and face her mother, so she went to the nearest restaurant for lunch. What do you think the waiter asked her? "Do you want EGG DROP soup?" HA! HA! HA! HA!

Of course, there are so many things wrong with this scenario, beginning with, if she had enough money to eat lunch out, why didn't she just go back to the store and get more eggs?? It's a puzzler. But then, reading Nancy was never exactly a cerebral experience. Still, I saw this comic as a little kid in the 70s and it stuck with me. So while she may not make much sense, she is unforgettable!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Speaking of crab, can someone tell me what the hell Crab Rangoon is?  I've always understood Chinese food eschews dairy, so how is it possible there's ONE dish made with cream cheese?

My understanding is that this is not an authentic Chinese dish, but one created in America. It's been a long time since I lived where I could get authentic Chinese food, but I don't recall seeing it until moving to an area where there are only a few Chinese Restaurants - and most of those are "Chinese/American" (which in my admittedly snobby opinion means not worth eating if I want something authentic).

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DXD526 said:

The talk of egg drop soup reminds me of a Nancy comic I saw as a kid.

Oh, man, I remember Nancy comics. I would walk the four blocks to the corner drug store (every neighborhood had those back then, and corner groceries too) after I got my allowance to buy comics and a nickel candy bar. All candy bars were a nickel then, except Bun, which was an out-of-my-price-range dime. Anyway, I would buy Casper, Archie and Nancy comics. I don't know why I bought Nancy because I never thought those were funny, even though Sluggo tried to make them better. But, new comics came out, I bought them. The big monthly comics were perfect bound, had a spine, and cost a quarter. Every once in a while I could afford one of those, usually an Archie.

I also thought Casper was a wimp. I preferred The Ghostly Trio. Never liked Wendy either. Too nice.

Seems I had a theme as a kid. Didn't like nice characters, gravitated toward mean and scary ones!

And yeah, I always wondered what was up with Nancy's hair. It def was a Toni. I remember those, never had the inclination to try one, although lots of kids got them ... and ended up looking like Nancy for a few months, until it would grow out enough to be all cut off.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

most of those are "Chinese/American" (which in my admittedly snobby opinion means not worth eating if I want something authentic).

Never gave that a thought, Chinese/American. But it relates to where I live, there are a lot of Hispanic people and lots of Mexican restaurants. Many are billed as Mexican/American, and the gringos like to eat there. I prefer the real thing, found in the heart of el barrio, of which there are several around here. It's unusual to find a weta like me in them, but man, the food is the best.

• Love 4

It was a miserable week and I ended up watching all of last week tonight. Probably a mistake since I did VERY badly. 0/5 unless you count "oh that thing--what's it called?" as a correct answer if the thing in my head ( fiery blimp that crashed) matched the actual answer (Hindenburg). Which I'm pretty sure J! does not.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

It def is where all the Kool Kids are, and @Ailianna is welcome to join us. We will make your bad week better!

Aw!! Thanks so much! The table for 1 is such an awesome group. It's not Mardi Gras themed but I make amazing chocolate chip cookies from scratch. My grandma's recipe and famous where I live.

• Love 4

47 minutes ago, Driad said:

Meanwhile, at the table for 2, Grundoon59 and I are enjoying dim sum and tea.  Would anyone like to join us?

Maybe I'll join you this week.  I certainly won't be at the 5/5 table.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Driad said:

Meanwhile, at the table for 2, Grundoon59 and I are enjoying dim sum and tea.  Would anyone like to join us?

We'll take any leftovers here at the T41. We have 14 hungry mouths (so far) to feed over here! Still missing some players. I hope they aren't victims of weather.

• Love 1

Saber5055, did you announce a winner for last week?  Maybe everyone at the table for 1?  I don't mean to nag, but your contest brightens up the week for some of us, even if we don't win.  adTHANKSvance!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, illdoc said:

Is there a "Table for Zero"? The way my week is going, someone there should save me a seat! 

Saber was nice enough to include my zero at the table for one. I'm sure you're welcome too. 

• Love 4

Sorry I'm so late posting. The weather has been a problem here with disrupting work and my attention to what's important, the contest! 4/5 this week, 1*. Our family cat was named Diogenes, and I have family in Maryland. I did think Monday's answer was Moscow. At least it's in Russia.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Driad said:

Saber5055, did you announce a winner for last week?  Maybe everyone at the table for 1?  I don't mean to nag, but your contest brightens up the week for some of us, even if we don't win.  adTHANKSvance!

Everyone has reported in, and a winner needs to be announced. But guys, this is the toughest week yet. No one got a better score this week than last week. (See ETA below!)*. @theartandsound and @Toothbrush continue to copy off of each other's paper, this for the fifth week in a row. I am going to move you to opposite ends of the score sheet! @secnarf, @Mindthinkr and @GrannySmith all have had matching scores for the last three weeks. The only fair way to select a winner is by shaking up and diving into/pulling a number out of my magic sour-cream container.

I'll be bahk ... said in an Arnold voice.

ETA: * BIG error on my part. There was one player who scored higher this week, but this was already posted, proving I have a problem with mathematical comprehension.

HINT: IT'S @Clanstarling, the SMARTEST Contest player of Week 22!

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

The Magic Sour Cream tub has spoken. Lucky Winner of Week 22 is Lucky Number 7, which translates to Lucky @Browncoat. Congratulations, Browncoat! Maybe today is the day to buy a Lotto ticket, or some fortune cookies given what a special week this is. Enjoy it while you can! (But don't worry if you want to extend it into next week, that is allowed!)

Three cheers for Browncoat! One, two, THREE! Yeay!

ETA: Special thanks to @Driad for making my day by your post that said I help make your week better. That's a win-win for me!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6

Here's a breakdown of Week 22 and how players scored this week, lower, the same or higher:

Lower - 11
Same - 12
Higher - 1

Now that I've figured the stats, this week's honorary CO-WINNER goes to @Clanstarling for being the only player to score higher this week than last. So, two winners this week, Browncoat and Clanstarling. I'll be watching for you two on national news as the big Lotto winners as you both are luckier than lucky this week, according to the FJ Contest Official Score Sheet. Buy those tickets!

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Here's a breakdown of Week 22 and how players scored this week, lower, the same or higher:

Lower - 11
Same - 12
Higher - 1

Now that I've figured the stats, this week's honorary CO-WINNER goes to @Clanstarling for being the only player to score higher this week than last. So, two winners this week, Browncoat and Clanstarling. I'll be watching for you two on national news as the big Lotto winners as you both are luckier than lucky this week, according to the FJ Contest Official Score Sheet. Buy those tickets!

Well, it's a low bar, but I'll absolutely take it. Looks like I'm heading for same or lower this week.

• Love 4

Yay for me...I'll be moving up at least to the table for two this week (so far.)  Of course, I first had to guess a peanut-buttery Aaron Burr, but I remembered something about Bryan being "crucified on a cross of gold."  Besides, when I was a wee tot & my mom made me take dancing lessons; our first recital was in the auditorium of William Jennings Bryan Elementary School.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Yay for me...I'll be moving up at least to the table for two this week (so far.)  Of course, I first had to guess a peanut-buttery Aaron Burr, but I remembered something about Bryan being "crucified on a cross of gold."  Besides, when I was a wee tot & my mom made me take dancing lessons; our first recital was in the auditorium of William Jennings Bryan Elementary School.

Yay for you indeed! Nicely done. I am happy to have gotten one (so far, but I'm not counting on another) this week so as to keep my seat at TT41. I had no idea for Thursday, but take some consolation that I too guessed Theodore Roosevelt, as did one of the players. And if I had come up with the correct answer, I, too, would have spelled it "Bryant."

Disclaimer: I've never had dance lessons. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

• Love 3

WEEK 23 • Feb. 15, 2021 — TWO asterisk **
111. Playwrights. This late writer has had 10 plays on Broadway, most of them set in Pittsburgh like “Jitney”, which premiered in 2017.
112. Geographic Namesakes. In 1857 the former Surveyor-General of India objected to giving his name to this landmark as “the natives could not pronounce” it.
* 113. Winter Sports. The specific skill that gave this sport its name was eliminated from intl. competition after the 1990 World Championships.  *
* 114. 19th Century Presidential Campaigns. The first campaign of this man, who at 36 was the youngest major party nominee ever, was supported by the silver mining industry.  *
115. World Surnames. In 2019, for the first time, this nation allowed for non-gendered last names with the suffix -bur.

6 hours ago, illdoc said:

Week 23:  0/5    Overall:  60/115     I'll be at the Table 40 (for zero) if anyone needs me.

I need you and you aren’t at that table alone. Screw it. 😂 I’m bringing a good champagne. 🍾🥂

0/5 

• Love 4

Week twenty-three: three of five with an asterisk! I started the week off flying, but on Thursday I sat there saying, yeah, that guy, with three names, one of the characters in Inherit The Wind was based on him, oh, crap, time is up....

Is there a table for three? Or can I stay with my buds at the table for one? 

• Love 5

I remain at the Tea for Two table - 2/5 with 1*.  I should have gotten Iceland- one of my favorite trips with Mother Grundoon stopped there on a transatlantic cruise and I knew about the names but couldn't pull it from the cold, weary recesses of my brain.  I will bring scones and clotted cream if someone else brings the tea this week.

• Love 4