Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

Saber -- on Tuesday, at least three of us (M. Darcy, Mindthinkr, and I) said 50 years. Not correct (they wanted 52) but much closer than any of the contestants wrote. Any chance of partial credit?

• Love 1

2/5 

The olympics are my jam.  I know the Olympics.   And Ikea which is not my jam but I also knew (don't know if any of these have * just looked them up on TJF)

According to Toothbrush that is 1*  SCORE!

Edited by bybrandy
  • Love 1

3/5 w/* 

I got the Olympics response correct because I remembered the first LA games had been in the 30s, and the number of years had to be divisible by 4. So either 1932 or 1936 & 1936 was Hitler’s infamous games in Berlin with Jesse Owens kicking all kinds of butt. The dates of the UK labor issues led me to winter and then the Richard III quote, and IKEA was a total guess that I actually thought was probably wrong. 

I had no clue for Thursday or Friday. I keep forgetting that Frankenstein is an early 19th century book (not that I would have gotten it anyway), and the name John Muir sounded familiar but no way would it have crossed my brain. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, bybrandy said:

2/5 

The olympics are my jam.  I know the Olympics.   And Ikea which is not my jam but I also knew (don't know if any of these have * just looked them up on TJF)

The Olympics question has an *

• Love 2
On 3/24/2021 at 5:08 PM, Driad said:

Saber -- on Tuesday, at least three of us (M. Darcy, Mindthinkr, and I) said 50 years. Not correct (they wanted 52) but much closer than any of the contestants wrote. Any chance of partial credit?

No.

Bwaha ha ha!

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

WEEK 28 • March 22, 2021 — ONE asterisk *
136. Shakespearean References. This name given to U.K. labor strife in Dec. 1978 & Jan. 1979 was taken from the first line of a Shakespeare history play.
*137. The Olympics. The “City of Angels” hosted the Olympics twice, the second time this many years after the first.  *
138. International Business. The “effect” named for this company founded in 1943 refers to increased value of a product to a consumer whose own labor is needed.
139. Literary Inspirations. The now-debunked theories of Luigi Galvani influenced the science in this 1818 novel.
140. 19th Century Americans. In 1869 he moved to Yosemite Valley & was the first to say the area was formed by glacial erosion, a theory generally accepted today.

14 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I had no clue for Thursday or Friday.

We should have teamed up @Toothbrush, for a perfect week. I got Frankenstein but don't have a clue why. It just came to me. And Friday's clue was as easy for me as if it had been "This number comes after 23 and also is the number of hours in a day." Of course, the environment is my No. 1 interest as are national parks and the outdoors, plus maybe being a member of The Sierra Club helped with that FJ too.

• Love 3

There was no way I would ever get the IKEA FJ. I've never been to an IKEA store nor have I ever even seen one, or seen anything from there. I looked up where they are ... the closest is a three-hour drive east. There is another a five-hour drive south. I'd have to go all the way to Utah to find one to the west. And since I've been building my own furniture and cabinets since forever, IKEA is just not part of my world.

And the Shakespeare clue? I was out as soon as I saw the category!

10 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I agree. Fifty is not evenly divisible by 4.  Close, but no cigar.

LOL. I didn't even think of the math, another one of my not-so-strong suits.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

There was no way I would ever get the IKEA FJ. I've never been to an IKEA store nor have I ever even seen one, or seen anything from there. I looked up where they are ... the closest is a three-hour drive east. There is another a five-hour drive south. I'd have to go all the way to Utah to find one to the west. And since I've been building my own furniture and cabinets since forever, IKEA is just not part of my world.

And the Shakespeare clue? I was out as soon as I saw the category!

LOL. I didn't even think of the math, another one of my not-so-strong suits.

When my brother lived in Richmond, VA, their closest IKEA was in D.C.  They bought some goofy chairs there and a few months later, SIL decided she wanted different color cushions. She asked me to go to my IKEA, buy them, & ship them to her; she'd pay for it all. It was worth it to her not to have to drive up to DC to get them.  That was the one and only time I've ever been IN an IKEA. It's about 12 miles from me, across Atlanta. I do not want to suffer that traffic again. There's nothing IKEA can offer me that's worth that.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Nothing Burgers are DELICIOUS with pickles, sweet onions and salsa ranch dressing. I know from experience!

E1E75FC6-6858-424D-BE46-11074C6AE1EA.thumb.jpeg.a3d7affad08af4c2d27842b4880e5053.jpeg

I make a good burger and even grill the onion. Anyone who wants one is welcome to join me. 
Sometimes things aren’t so bad at the lower scored tables. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

There's nothing IKEA can offer me that's worth that.

I've heard that IKEA has samples and sells Swedish meatballs. True? It would be worth suffering Atlanta traffic for some of those, me being Swedish and all. Those meatballs are THE BEST and I haven't had any for many years.

Oh, they sell furniture too? Who knew!

@Mindthinkr, great photo, and thanks for that before I have my oatmeal breakfast. I have been staring at it for a while now, and will continue to do so, me with my bowl of oatmeal ...

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 4

Somehow or other I stumbled into a 5/5, one * week.  I am not really sure how - the only ones I was certain on were "winter of our discontent" ( I have seen all of the history plays - thank you Stratford Ontario! - and Richard III has the only memorable opening line that I could come up with) and the Olympics question - like Toothbrush I knew it was the 30s (I think from a long ago LA city tour that stopped there) and was able to rule out 1936 due to knowing that was Berlin. 

The others were guesses - I have never been to an IKEA although there is one fairly near me, I have never read Frankenstein but it was all I could come up with having been written at the time and I have never been to Yosemite but think I connected it through Ken Burns' National Parks documentary which I rewatched during the pandemic.  

Anyway however I got there, I am happy to have the result especially after a trying week.  In real life, a couple of students at the career training school where I work tested positive for COVID - I hadn't had any contact with them but a coworker who did then tested positive which led to our entire team being quarantined and me finally getting tested for the first time (never had known exposure or symptoms before).  Good news is the test was relatively painless and came out negative and I am surviving working from home (again new experience since I wasn't full time employed until late last summer).  

Edited by Grundoon59
bad proof reading
  • Love 7
On 3/27/2021 at 10:18 PM, secnarf said:

Back at the table for 1.

Thank goodness for Ikea, which was a total instaget. Hadn't a clue for any of the others.

Are you me? Am I you? That was exactly my week and experience too. 

• Love 2
(edited)

It's Toot Toot Time to Tell Tuesday's Triumphant Two Trivia Toppers of FJ's Week 28. Yes, TWO! Topping the list is Long Time Player, First Time Winner @biakbiak, It took biakbiak 23 weeks to duplicate a certain score, an amazing feat of sticktoitiveness worthy of recognition.

The Second Tuesday Triumphant Trivia Topper of FJ's Week 28 is @Good Queen Jane, who takes home the honor of Co-Winner of Week 28 because she deserves it. And what better reason is there than that?

Congratulations to you both for having special weeks. As a token of appreciation to you both for being loyal FJ Contest players, here is a medal for each of you to prove your brilliance. Wear them in good health. And wear them often! Even after this week.

biakWinner.jpg.19518b98adfc8bca1c51352b0c325e62.jpgGoodQueen.jpg.86cd836aae862131382dd6613f868618.jpg

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 9

Tl;dr I won a free sofa from IKEA

About 7 years ago I went to IKEA for Christmas lights (& Swedish meatballs), & they were giving away scratch cards for prizes & I won an Ektorp sofa. We were shopping for family room furniture at the time and were designing a sectional, but cheap Dr Toothbrush decided that with 3 kids under the age of 7 a free sofa made more sense than spending a lot of money on furniture. I grudgingly agreed, and we got the sofa & a few other pieces of the Ektorp grouping and upgraded to a more durable, stain-resistant fabric. Turns out Ektorp isn’t the most comfortable for someone with a long torso like Dr T, so within 2 or three years we had donated the furniture & bought what we originally planned to, and have had no problems even with 3 active kids & cats. And Dr Toothbrush is still cheap. Lol 

• LOL 8
(edited)

WEEK 29 • March 29, 2021 — TWO asterisk **
141. Authors: Book to Screen. Horrified by the 1964 movie musical from her work, she okayed a U.K. stage version as long as “no Americans” were involved.
142. American History. While performing in Philadelphia, the future father of this man sent a letter threatening to slit Andrew Jackson’s throat.
*143. Logos. After 9/11, designer Milton Glaser modified this iconic logo of his, adding a bruise & the words “more than ever.”  *
*144. Antidisestablishmentarianism. A real-life antidisestablishmentarian, William Bridgeman opposed the 1920 disestablishment of this in Wales. *
145. Eponymous Landmarks: In 1960 the ashes of this aviator were spread over the Venezuela natural wonder he famously sighted decades earlier.

Edited by saber5055

There seems to be some curse that has loomed over me during Dr Oz’s residency in the hosting spot. I never got one FJ right. I’m doing well enough in the games. I’m getting DDs and clearing some categories. It’s not like I’ve been cleaning up, but I’m flummoxed. I even began to wonder yesterday if I’d raised up some kind of curse or sudden onset dementia. I seem to be my usual self otherwise.  So for the second week in a row I have to tell you that I got another zero. 

• Love 1