Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

13 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Errr, week 23, isn’t it? 

Fixed, thank you. It creates a problem when I don't update the column headers! After I posted the pic of DXD526's trophy, I kicked myself I didn't make the inscription "Wins Week 22." Now I'm glad I didn't!

• Love 1

I'm sitting alone at the Table for BIG FAT ZEROS this week. Don't feel sorry for me, I don't deserve to eat or drink anything, I'm such a loser. (Not that anyone else who might score 0 is. "It's not you, it's me.")

4 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I'm sitting alone at the Table for BIG FAT ZEROS this week. Don't feel sorry for me, I don't deserve to eat or drink anything, I'm such a loser. (Not that anyone else who might score 0 is. "It's not you, it's me.")

You're not alone. I'm there with you: 0/5 this week. And if anyone deserves to eat/drink it's us. I'm thinking a pint of Ben & Jerry's each.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

WEEK 24 • Feb. 22, 2021 — TWO asterisk **
116. Music. Just 24 notes, this piece is nicknamed “Butterfield’s Lullaby” for the U.S. Army general who arranged it.
117. Movie Directors. Along with his writing partner, this director is the only person to win screenwriting Oscars for both a film & its sequel.
118. Business History. David McConnell’s cosmetics & perfume co. was rebranded in 1939 with this name, honoring the home of his favorite playwright.
* 119. Landlocked Countries. Losing its ocean access in 1993, this African Union member is the most populous landlocked nation, with 110 million people.  *
* 120. Early U.S. History. Elbridge Gerry, Charles Pinckney & John Marshall were the diplomats in this 1797 incident that led to a quasi-war with France. *

I was so counting on having my fifth week in a row at the head of T41 that not knowing any FJs put me into a funk and at Table Zero. But it's cheering to have good company, so I feel better that secnarf and Clanstarling are here with me. And a pint of Ben & Jerry's would def make me feel better. Cherry Garcia is my go to, with Chunky Monkey as a back up. Side note: I live far enough from any grocery store that I can slowly eat an entire pint of B+J before I get to my driveway. I keep a spoon in my van.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I was so counting on having my fifth week in a row at the head of T41 that not knowing any FJs put me into a funk and at Table Zero. But it's cheering to have good company, so I feel better that secnarf and Clanstarling are here with me. And a pint of Ben & Jerry's would def make me feel better. Cherry Garcia is my go to, with Chunky Monkey as a back up. Side note: I live far enough from any grocery store that I can slowly eat an entire pint of B+J before I get to my driveway. I keep a spoon in my van.

I like your style. Usually I'll curl up with a pint and nice smooth spoon and tell myself I'm only clearing off edges and then I'll put it back in the freezer. (never happens) I'm a Chocolate Fudge Brownie gal, but sometimes I'll cheat with Pistachio Pistachio

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

To demonstrate how sad my Jeopardy week was, I haven't played J6 for a while. But the day one category was HORSE & WRITER, I  played so I could see the horse clue. Result? 11 of 12 correct. The only one I missed ... HORSE & WRITER.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

WEEK 24 • Feb. 22, 2021 — TWO asterisk **
116. Music. Taps (I literally learned this fact the weekend before last.) 1/1
117. Movie Directors. Francis Ford Copolla.  I Knew it was The Godfather I and II took me a bit longer to ge to FFC 2/2
118. Business History. Literally no idea even after I looked it up.  New info for me. 2/3
* 119. Landlocked Countries. The Democratic Republic of the Congo (I didn't think there were enough people but it is landlocked) 2/4
* 120. Early U.S. History. The XYZ affair!!  3/5 Flat out knew this one... history degree for the win... erm... for the middle of the packing. 

3/5 1*

• Love 4

Am I all alone at the table for 1?  Oh, well, I'm still pretty stuffed from the pastrami sandwiches, two kinds of teas and petit fours from last week.  Guess I'll just order in a pizza.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, biakbiak said:

4/5 and 1*. 

That seems to be your usual. You are a good player. Ever tried out? 

6 hours ago, Trey said:

Am I all alone at the table for 1?  Oh, well, I'm still pretty stuffed from the pastrami sandwiches, two kinds of teas and petit fours from last week.  Guess I'll just order in a pizza.

You are welcome at any table I sit at. Since I usually cook you will be eating well. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, theartandsound said:

4/5, one asterisk. Finally got myself out of a 3/5 slump!!!

Teaming up with @M. Darcy to copy each other's papers has worked well for you both these past FIVE weeks. Yes, FIVE WEEKS! I'm going to move closer to you both.

Although @Clanstarling's Ben + Jerrys has made me feel better about being a failure. So thank you for that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
45 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

That seems to be your usual. You are a good player. Ever tried out

Being on tv is literally the last thing i would ever want to do. Not to mention that is me sitting on the couch, heck sometimes I freeze up at low stakes bar trivia! 

• Love 5

4/5 w/1 *
It took me a few seconds to run through cosmetic companies before giving it a go with playwrights. Thankfully I thought of The Bard first & got Avon quickly. And a little walk down memory lane remembering the little Avon lipstick samples that my mom would give to my sister & me to play with when we were little. No idea for Friday. I guessed affair of the necklace even though I knew 1797 was too late. Hubby knew it so between us we had a perfect week lol 

• Love 3

Sorry I'm late posting again, work is so busy it is cutting into my fun time. 5/5 and two ** this week. I lucked into good categories this week. Hoping I can keep it up. I'll treat everyone to pizza in the contest break room. Trey made me hungry for pizza and now that's all I want. I'm happy to share!

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

So far, so good - 1/1  LOL

I know it's unbelievable, but same here! My answer was the only word I could come up with, and I felt so stupid because it HAD to be wrong, I shouldn't even guess it and make myself look even dumber. Then it turned out to be correct, and I was all whaaaa? I feel guilty giving myself credit for it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I know it's unbelievable, but same here! My answer was the only word I could come up with, and I felt so stupid because it HAD to be wrong, I shouldn't even guess it and make myself look even dumber. Then it turned out to be correct, and I was all whaaaa? I feel guilty giving myself credit for it.

That's a perfect example of the "always put down something" rule--you might get lucky. I've gotten credit for dumb luck answers that happened to be right many times!

• Love 1

If it's Tuesday, this must be Announce the Winner(s) of Week 24 time. The FJC hereby recognizes three of its most steadfast players this week, @PBnJay, @Clanstarling and @secnarf. And for different but legitimate reasons, meaning all three are the most deserving this week. Here is an Award Certificate to prove it. Because a certificate makes everything legal, right? Serious FJ players will know the significance of the Golden 50. Congratulations you three wieners. I mean winners. Keep on rockin'! See ya'll next week!

50-gold-3d-numbers.jpg.fb07518269df07bfe350b7b57612e846.jpg

• Love 4
13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

If it's Tuesday, this must be Announce the Winner(s) of Week 24 time. The FJC hereby recognizes three of its most steadfast players this week, @PBnJay, @Clanstarling and @secnarf. And for different but legitimate reasons, meaning all three are the most deserving this week. Here is an Award Certificate to prove it. Because a certificate makes everything legal, right? Serious FJ players will know the significance of the Golden 50. Congratulations you three wieners. I mean winners. Keep on rockin'! See ya'll next week!

Hot Dog! I can use a win, no matter how I get it! Thank you, thank you. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The FJC hereby recognizes three of its most steadfast players this week, @PBnJay, @Clanstarling and @secnarf. And for different but legitimate reasons, meaning all three are the most deserving this week. Here is an Award Certificate to prove it.

Yay, thank you thank you and thank you! I am so excited, and love the certificate. Now when (if) I go to Hawaii I can shout "I am FIVE OH!" and everyone will let me move to the head of the line. And when (if) I ever pass the test to get on the show, I will bet FIVE OH as part of my wagers as a shout out to the contest. Thanks for making my week!

• Love 3
On 3/2/2021 at 7:20 PM, saber5055 said:

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

And congratulations to @PBnJay and @Clanstarling as well 🙂

• Love 4

WEEK 25 • March 1, 2021 — ONE asterisk **
121. Geographic Regions. In “Histoire des Navigations aux Terres Australes” Charles de Brosses coined this term for the many islands of the region.
122. World Leaders Address Congress. The 2 to address 3 joint sessions are Churchill & this leader, his non-European country’s longest-serving PM, in 1996, 2011 & 2015.
*123. European Landmarks. Of the principal architects working on it from the mid-1500s to the 1980s, like Pierre Lescot & Hector Lefuel, none were foreigners. *
124. U.S. Military Equipment. The U.S. Army’s tradition of naming these began with the Sioux, used in the Korean War. 
125. American Rock Bands. In 2020 their Greatest Hits, with an optimistic ’80s anthem, became only the third album to spend 600 weeks on the Billboard 200.

I was happy to get Monday's FJ, then did not care that I got no more for the week. T41 is where I am comfortable, and it's a space I share with good friends. @Mindthinkr, you are welcome here as always. And you don't even have to bring your usual feast, just you! (Well, unless you want to. Heh.)

• Love 2
On 3/2/2021 at 7:20 PM, saber5055 said:

Serious FJ players will know the significance of the Golden 50

I thought I was serious, but could someone please clue me in on the significance of the Golden 50? TIA!

• Love 1