Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Choosing the winner of Week 4 was a tough decision as there were multiple players in contention. But I've decided that @Ailianna and @helpmerhonda will share the glory this week based on their mirror scores for four weeks straight. If you two are copying off of each other's papers, I will have to move you to opposite sides of the room. We will see if those mirror scores continue through Week 5! (It kind of would be cool if they did.)

Meanwhile, congratulations to you both for your weeks of continued (same) good play. You guys rock!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

2/5 no *

I misread Friday's clue and answered Copeland, the composer. Since I thought the piece was called Appalachian Morning, I would have been wrong anyway. Boo hiss.

As happy as I am to have J back, I cannot get into the shows this season. I keep thinking of the contestants as pretenders while waiting for Zach to be able to return. I liked Kevin and am glad he was able to become the season's 1st 5-time champion & win a bunch of moolah. 

• Love 2

WEEK 5 • Oct. 12, 2020 — THREE asterisk *
* 21. World License Plates. Around 2010 the state license plate for Michoacan, Mexico featured these insects.  *
22. Literary Pronouns. Thanks to a horror film, this novel returned to the bestseller lists in 2017, some 30 years after reaching No. 1.
23. Movie Appearances. Not an actor, this man who died in 2018 appeared briefly in some 40 mainly action films with a combined $30 billion worldwide gross.
* 24. Psychological Terms. Physician “Cannonball Mike” Friedman defined this behavioral type & admitted the term applied to himself. *
* 25. 20th Century American Music. The composer of this 1944 ballet said it “concerned a pioneer celebration …around a newly built farmhouse in the …hills.”

• Love 2

4/5, 3*. Movies are not my category. For weeks 1-5: 20/25, 6*.

Friday I got "Appalachian Spring" because my local classical music radio station plays it frequently, although the classical period is usually defined as 1750 to 1820. I didn't know it was a ballet though.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

If butterflies [without monarch] is acceptable for Monday, then I am 4/5 with 1*.  if not, then 3/5 with 1*,

You were a lot closer than we were. I said murder hornets & Dr Toothbrush said la cuchara Both jokingly because neither of us had any clue. 

• LOL 5
8 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

If butterflies [without monarch] is acceptable for Monday, then I am 4/5 with 1*.  if not, then 3/5 with 1*,

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

WEEK 5 • Oct. 12, 2020 — THREE asterisk *
* 21. World License Plates. Around 2010 the state license plate for Michoacan, Mexico featured these insects.  *
22. Literary Pronouns. Thanks to a horror film, this novel returned to the bestseller lists in 2017, some 30 years after reaching No. 1.
23. Movie Appearances. Not an actor, this man who died in 2018 appeared briefly in some 40 mainly action films with a combined $30 billion worldwide gross.
* 24. Psychological Terms. Physician “Cannonball Mike” Friedman defined this behavioral type & admitted the term applied to himself. *
* 25. 20th Century American Music. The composer of this 1944 ballet said it “concerned a pioneer celebration …around a newly built farmhouse in the …hills.”

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

You are 4/5 with 1*. Oz has spoken.

I know this has already been adjudicated, and as a non-contestant, I probably don't have standing to address the court, how can that be?  You get a * for each one you get correct that all 3 real live contestants missed, right?  And there were 3 *'s this week?  So if someone has 4/5 correct, wouldn't they have to have at least 2 *'s? Did a couple pages stick together in my rule book?

• Love 1
(edited)
29 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I know this has already been adjudicated, and as a non-contestant, I probably don't have standing to address the court, how can that be?  You get a * for each one you get correct that all 3 real live contestants missed, right?  And there were 3 *'s this week?  So if someone has 4/5 correct, wouldn't they have to have at least 2 *'s?

LOL! All comments are welcome, from players and peanut gallery. Yes, you are correct about the asterisk. Me, I just record what players post. But @Grundoon59's total now includes two, two, TWO asterisks, not one!

Thank you!

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

So if someone has 4/5 correct, wouldn't they have to have at least 2 *'s? Did a couple pages stick together in my rule book?

This reminded me of that math puzzle where it's pitch dark and there are 10 white and 10 black socks in a drawer and you have to figure out the minimum number of socks you need to pull out to ensure you have a matching pair.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Week five:  three of five with one asterisk. 

And I'm in big trouble with my friends from WVU. I was in the WVU Marching Band in the 1970s. In our pregame show, going back to my days in the band until today, one of the numbers we played is a combination of Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man and Simple Gifts, from Appalachian Spring.  I've been playing that tune for nearly 50 years, but I blanked and said Rodeo.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, dgpolo said:

This reminded me of that math puzzle where it's pitch dark and there are 10 white and 10 black socks in a drawer and you have to figure out the minimum number of socks you need to pull out to ensure you have a matching pair.

Matching socks are overrated. If you care so much, just buy them all in the same color to begin with. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Matching socks are overrated. If you care so much, just buy them all in the same color to begin with.

Good idea. I heard an interview with a single father raising three teenage sons. He bought several dozen identical pairs of socks at a time, which they all shared.  

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

2.5/3.  I slept through two shows and got Copland but not the piece ballet, so I'm giving myself a half in an attempt to gloss over the ones missed due to snoring.

I have no idea how to score this! Check TheJeopardyFan.com for clues and answers to find your ?/5 score.

For the socks math problem, my answer is two. It's like the guy who has on two different shoes, and when asked about it says he has another pair just like it at home. That drawer is full of 10 matching pairs of socks.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Interesting (?) side note to the socks problem---the (true( solution involves something called "The Pigeonhole Principle". Why, yes, I did major in math 🙂

Three! It's three, isn't it?

• Love 1

PW, I am giving you a 3 for this week based on your honesty and ability to sleep for long distances of time.

I have three contestants vying for Week 5 Winner. But the title goes to @bybrandy for consistency in scoring, achieving the same total for the last four weeks in a row. Congratulations on being non-wavering in your commitment to FJ knowledge.

The players in close contention for Winner were @Driad, the only one to score all three asterisks this week. Nicely done, my friend. And ... @saber5055, the only player to score a big fat goose-egg ZERO this week. That's right, folks. Yours truly wins the Dumbass Of The Week award.

You're welcome.

• Love 3