Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, j5cochran said:

I've never heard of Cane's, but according to their website, there's one about 75 miles away, in Ohio. Don't think I'll make a trip there soon!

I'm in the mood for some warm weather fare with my chicken fingers - how about a salad of spring greens and baby spinach with chopped green onions, topped by a hot bacon dressing?

That salad sounds delicious, and more in line with what I should be eating anyway!

Cane’s started as a concept in a marketing class project at LSU. The student only got a C because the professor said a restaurant serving only 1 food item would not be successful, but that student was able to turn it into a crazy successful company. Their Cane’s sauce was my biggest craving when I was expecting MiniToothbrush #1. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Table for one with no *

Now what to cook. All of the Granny Smith chat has made me crave pie. 7E8E37AA-83E5-4514-BB45-363E9DAA28FD.thumb.jpeg.65e7576c7ac02f1f71b14aa708d6b114.jpeg

mmm...pie. I make a mean pumpkin chiffon pie.

I was thinking last night after I scrolled past a Facebook post talking about "flights" of beer, etc. I was thinking desserts should served that way. A  flight of cake, pie, ice cream, cookies...the list can go on.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I was thinking last night after I scrolled past a Facebook post talking about "flights" of beer, etc. I was thinking desserts should served that way. A  flight of cake, pie, ice cream, cookies...the list can go on.

I love that idea! It's one reason I like buffets, especially brunch with lots of delicious desserts!

• Love 5
(edited)

I thought Cane's chicken sounded familiar. It turned out it is because it was big news when one opened in Davenport, Iowa. Raisin' Cane Chicken. I love chicken fingers, it's my first choice when eating out. Not that I've eaten out in the past two years. Anyway, its sauce is mayo and catsup blended. A better sauce would be horseradish and catsup together.

I moved up to the T42 (Table For Two, How Do You Do) this week. I don't know a lick about King Lear so just picked an author from that time period and lucked out with Poe. I know, color me surprised. I also got Yemen by picking a name farther down the alphabet. That, plus I knew Zaire is in Africa. Well, it was, when it was Zaire.

I guess I'm the only one who guessed Lee and Davis for the two sides of the Mason Dixon Line. Hey, I thought it was a pretty inspired guess. Wrong, but inspired.

Meanwhile, I pity the fools stuck with me at the T42. Hope you aren't hungry. May the Magic Chefs at the other tables bestow their kindness upon you.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4

3/5 with no * this week.  Three years of long ago college German got me the armored pig; Yemen was a lucky guess and having seen a couple productions of Lear (including Christopher Plummer's amazing one at Stratford Ontario) got quickly to Poe. 

I am trying to think of a good dessert to go with the chicken and salad - I am thinking some snickerdoodles and nut brittle (from a recipe that modestly calls itself "the best ever nut brittle").  Is this acceptable? 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

3/5 with no * this week.  Three years of long ago college German got me the armored pig; Yemen was a lucky guess and having seen a couple productions of Lear (including Christopher Plummer's amazing one at Stratford Ontario) got quickly to Poe. 

I am trying to think of a good dessert to go with the chicken and salad - I am thinking some snickerdoodles and nut brittle (from a recipe that modestly calls itself "the best ever nut brittle").  Is this acceptable? 

I haven't had homemade snickerdoodles since I can't remember when. Yum. And any kind of nut brittle would be wonderful. Except walnut. Walnuts taste bitter to me.

Your mention of seeing Christopher Plummer in King Lear reminded me -- I saw Anthony Hopkins as King Lear in 1986, at the National Theatre in London. My alma mater, West Virginia University, used to sponsor a class held during spring break week in London, where everyone got to play tourist and go to the theatre every night. The students then had to write a few essays about the plays seen. To fill out the spots on the trip, alumni were also allowed to go along, without the essay requirement!

• Love 7
(edited)

It's Count-down time on One, Two Threesday ... I mean Twosday, make that Tuesday ... and announcement time for the Winner of Week 1, 2, 3 ... I mean Week 34, 35, 36 ... yes, Week 36 of the FJ Contest. And that special person is the player who has been counting up for 1, 2, 3 weeks in a row, the player known as @Ailianna. Here to present the Counting Up With The Count award to Ailianna is none other than Count von Count himself.

"Greetings. I am the Count. I am happy to announce the ONE winner of week 36 in the Final Jeopardy Contest THREE, @Ailianna. It is Ailianna's win THREE this season, and is given for the ability to score ONE, TWO, THREE in a row. I vant to come back next week for a FOUR 4 score."

thecount.JPG.3991132b4a81d7a66c52b6ff7a983fac.JPG

ETA: Hey Kelly, that's how you signal a third win.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Eric Carle, the illustrator of The Very Hungry Caterpillar, died today. He was a FJ response earlier this season. 

That was also my first thought when I heard the news - was it far enough away that it doesn't fall under the "Jeopardy curse"?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Eric Carle, the illustrator of The Very Hungry Caterpillar, died today. He was a FJ response earlier this season. 

That FJ was Jan. 14, game 89 of the season, the children's book with "so many holes." Whether the curse or not, it's safer to not be a FJ clue iMO. (In which case, I will live forever.) So sad to hear of his passing, I did not know that so thanks for posting here.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
On 5/25/2021 at 2:33 PM, saber5055 said:

It's Count-down time on One, Two Threesday ... I mean Twosday, make that Tuesday ... and announcement time for the Winner of Week 1, 2, 3 ... I mean Week 34, 35, 36 ... yes, Week 36 of the FJ Contest. And that special person is the player who has been counting up for 1, 2, 3 weeks in a row, the player known as @Ailianna. Here to present the Counting Up With The Count award to Ailianna is none other than Count von Count himself.

"Greetings. I am the Count. I am happy to announce the ONE winner of week 36 in the Final Jeopardy Contest THREE, @Ailianna. It is Ailianna's win THREE this season, and is given for the ability to score ONE, TWO, THREE in a row. I vant to come back next week for a FOUR 4 score."

thecount.JPG.3991132b4a81d7a66c52b6ff7a983fac.JPG

ETA: Hey Kelly, that's how you signal a third win.

Thank you so much!! It's such an honor. And a little ironic since I always loved the Count as a child and was being silly at work this week counting like him my colleagues didn't get. So this is also a redemption!

Hmm.  I am also supposed to be thanking all the people who helped me get here, right? Like my manager and agent and the best production staff...I just don't actually have any of those people. So I will just thank all the wonderful posters here who make me smile after a long day and keep me from feeling blue so often. Thank you all!!

• Love 10
34 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

So I will just thank all the wonderful posters here who make me smile after a long day and keep me from feeling blue so often. Thank you all!!

1446208877_hug612x612.jpg.527deb017a2f1058e41c51044fd0d1c0.jpg

• Love 4

WEEK 37 • May 24, 2021 — NO asterisk  *
181. 20th Century Artwork. The artist’s wife described the scene of this 1942 painting as “Brilliant interior of cheap restaurant.”
182. Nobel-Winning Novelists. Falsely accused of murder, a character in his 1948 novel becomes “tyrant over the whole county’s white conscience.”
183. Classical Composers. Monsieur Crescendo & Signor Vaccarmini (“Mr. Racket”) were derisive nicknames for this composer whose last opera dates from 1829.
184. Music & Geography. In a British folk tune, the title lass Maggie May is sentenced to go way down south to this penal colony that rhymes with her name.
185. European Borders. It’s still there, but none of the countries that bordered this country at the beginning of 1990 exist anymore.

• Love 1

Week thirty-seven: one of five. I got Botany Bay (Khannnnnnnnnnnnn!). I first thought of Poland for Friday, but changed my mind because I knew that the country is right next to Germany. Argh - East Germany! I guessed Albania instead.

I looked at the Champion's recipes from the Jeopardy website. I'll make Sam's Grilled Minnesota Wild Rice Stuffed Mushrooms for the Table for One, if someone else can bring a grill!

(https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/tournament-champions/perfect-essentials-your-2021-tournament-champions-watch-party)

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

I'll make Sam's Grilled Minnesota Wild Rice Stuffed Mushrooms for the Table for One, if someone else can bring a grill!

*Raises hand* I have a grill, albeit a little charcoal one. I can start the coals early (I'll carry some from Newcastle) and I can grill some garlic bread to go with those Champion Sam Grilled Mushrooms to help celebrate his Big Win. (Plus I absolutely LOVE mushrooms.) So all is good (for me anyway) at the T41 this week!

• Love 2

3/5 I got Faulkner (Steinbeck & Hemingway crossed my mind too), Rossini, & Poland. I could picture Nighthawks, but had no idea of its name. And I responded Saggie Bay to rhyme with Maggie May lol However Dr Toothbrush & I had a proud parent moment when one of the twin MiniToothbrushes said, “I love that song”. But then a few days later said she had never heard of Poland. Win some, lose some 🤷‍♀️

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Clearly Saber's accolades last week went to my head. 1\5, and that one only because it's a white male Southern writer on J!--must be Faulkner. (That was my actual process. Yes, I know I inferred some of those traits, but I think they were there to be inferred, if you follow my meaning.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
(edited)

I’m at the T41 this week. Bringing these mushroom tarts. They have a layer of gruyere cheese, mushrooms, all in a light flaky crust with a quail egg on top  

F6342204-C66B-42B4-9EC3-85629A3BF22C.thumb.jpeg.e2544c0a1d6aa65a031403c32c09931c.jpeg

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 3

The only Maggie May I know is Rod Stewart's, and Maggie, "You made a first-class fool out of me." And the only Botany Bay I know makes raincoats. But I do know my Hoppers. When I took the train to Chicago a couple years ago to see the Hopper exhibit at the Art Institute, a friend sent me this painting of me on the train. It looks just like me, if one switches out the stylish suit for a flannel shirt and Crocs. Interesting side note, Hopper's wife was his model in (almost) all of his paintings, and IRL my favorite artist was a, let's say, not very nice person.

compartment-c-edward-hopper.thumb.jpg.06378665efec5f316065a1ef5507bbf8.jpg

Love the (delicious) mushroom theme at T41, where all the "best people" are this week!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m at the T41 this week. Bringing these mushroom tarts. They have a layer of gruyere cheese, mushrooms, all in a light flaky crust with a quail egg on top  

F6342204-C66B-42B4-9EC3-85629A3BF22C.thumb.jpeg.e2544c0a1d6aa65a031403c32c09931c.jpeg

Oh, yum! Suddently I'm happy to be at the Table41!

• Love 3