Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I haven't heard the hand grenades version of that since I was a kid (military brat). It took me a beat to remember it.

I see you have been here but I can't find your score. *tap tap tap ...*

On 6/28/2021 at 11:53 AM, PBnJay said:

5/5 with 1*. But I am willing to change my score to be able to sit at the enchilada, salad (WOW to that photo!) or hot dog tables. 

One of us will distract the other tables & the other of us will discreetly nab food. Sound like a plan? 🤫

• LOL 7
23 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

One of us will distract the other tables & the other of us will discreetly nab food. Sound like a plan? 🤫

One of us could make a flaming dessert to draw their attention to our table, while the rest of us nab food.  Checking my wardrobe for big pockets.

• LOL 5

I knew a travel agent lady years ago. There was some sort of reception almost every night hosted by different destinations, or tour operators, etc.  She always wore the same jacket that had MANY big pockets, all lined in ziploc bags.  She didn't dare come home late without treats for her cats.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Driad said:

One of us could make a flaming dessert to draw their attention to our table, while the rest of us nab food.  Checking my wardrobe for big pockets.

Great idea! How does Bananas Foster sound? 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I knew a travel agent lady years ago. There was some sort of reception almost every night hosted by different destinations, or tour operators, etc.  She always wore the same jacket that had MANY big pockets, all lined in ziploc bags.  She didn't dare come home late without treats for her cats.

Pockets lined in ziploc bags - genius.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Great idea! How does Bananas Foster sound? 

That was a clue/answer on J not long ago! I remember because I had a dog named Bananas Foster. His two sisters were Banana Split (she was a split face) and Going Bananas.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

It's a plan! The flaming dessert trick should work (although now the other tables have been tipped off). I do have some Ziploc bags and I always wear something with pockets so I'm ready when you all are!

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

That was a clue/answer on J not long ago! I remember because I had a dog named Bananas Foster. His two sisters were Banana Split (she was a split face) and Going Bananas.

What kind of dogs, and what’s a split face? 

(edited)
40 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

What kind of dogs, and what’s a split face? 

Smooth Fox Terriers. This is not Banana Split but another split face, also an AKC Champion, call name "Goodie". She inherited the eyebrow from her father who has an all-white face with one tan eyebrow and one tan ear.

goodie_7838_sm2.jpg.d97e9aa18e07553896a3c4ed9cba0652.jpg

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 8
(edited)

I haven't announced the winner of Week 41 because that person is me, I got my first score of four (heh, poet) ever. I've scored a three twice this season but never higher until this past week. Thursday night I was actually nervous: "What if I get Friday correct? What if I don't get Friday correct? I've never had a four before." It even kept me awake. Then I got Friday's, an asterisk, and I selfishly felt superior to other players who scored less. Is that how you people feel when you score high and others don't? It was an odd feeling, that Church Lady Superior Thing. I'm not accustom to those thoughts or feelings. I can't say it made me feel good about myself.

Then I looked over the score sheet and I found another player who has scored a four only once but was not recognized for that achievement because @secnarf  had been named a Weekly Winner the week previous. So I name @secnarf the Official Winner of Week 41 in retrospect.

Meanwhile, there is one day left to maybe score a one this week, but I doubt that will happen. I would be shocked if I know Friday's FJ, and it's still Thursday. Maybe I'll feel lower than a zero and score a minus one or minus two for this week. Yeah, that's me. Less than nothing.

I googled "blue ribbon" so I could give one to Secnarf and this is the first image that came up. While I don't drink and have never had a PBR, I thought this was a more appropriate gift/award given my low morale and feeling like ... well, like crap. So, enjoy Secnarf. I hope you like your Blue Ribbon. And congrats FOR your FOUR.

pbr.png.59025080da529c6899529848e91123cf.png

Edited by saber5055
Geesh, I can't even spell morale.
  • Love 7
(edited)

@saber5055, I hope you are feeling better today. I appreciate you hosting this contest. Even though I don't post much, I enjoy reading here and am sorry you are feeling blue. @secnarf, congratulations on your blue ribbon. That's the best weekly prize so far, suitable for a blue week!

ETA. Your dog is so adorable Saber. You are so lucky to have that little scamp to admire every day!

Edited by PBnJay
  • Love 4

Did you get Friday?    Because I didn't.  

0 for me.  I think this is my first bagel.   And I guess I'm chowing down on bagels... do you even get a table if you don't answer a question right?

• Love 4
6 hours ago, bybrandy said:

0 for me.  I think this is my first bagel.   And I guess I'm chowing down on bagels... do you even get a table if you don't answer a question right?

A bagel for me too (not my first one). We'll get a table for 0 and have bagels with an assortment of cream cheeses.

0/0

• Love 5
(edited)

I lost my paper. I think I got one, but it could be none. I’ll have to wait until they show up here to remember. 

Saber, please don’t feel uncomfortable about having such a good score last week. You could be a co-winner. If I didn’t have the technological skills of a guppy I’d give you some praline pictures. You deserve to celebrate when you do well. Please don’t let that get you down. The kitties and I love you 😽

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I lost my paper. I think I got one, but it could be none. I’ll have to wait until they show up here to remember. 

Saber, please don’t feel uncomfortable about having such a good score last week. You could be a co-winner. If I didn’t have the technological skills of a guppy I’d give you some praline pictures. You deserve to celebrate when you do well. Please don’t let that get you down. The kitties and I love you 😽

Thought I'd help you out.

I didn't know which praline picture to choose, so here's some for everyone, but most particularly @saber5055 (thoughtfully suggested by @Mindthinkr)

Pralines - Gotta eat them all

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2

WEEK 42 • June 28, 2021 — TWO asterisk  *
206. Monarchies. The future Charles I suddenly became next in line to the throne of Austria in this year.
207. Colors & History. A blue pigment & a shade of blue popular in shirts are named for these, the 2 opposing nations in an 1870-71 war.
208. 20th Century Novels. British biochemist J.B.S. Haldane’s essay on ectogenesis, birth outside the womb, helped inspire this 1932 novel.
* 209. Rivers. In “Notes on the State of Virginia”, Thomas Jefferson said the most beautiful river on Earth is this one no longer in Virginia. *
* 210. Hit Songs. Written in 1930, this song was a No. 1 hit in 1960 & was covered by The Band to support a 1976 Presidential candidate.  *

• Love 1

2/5 one * Began & ended the week with correct answers. I guessed Potomac on Thursday, even though I had a nice view of that river from a hotel room in Arlington, VIRGINIA a few years ago 🤦 Not that I would have ever gotten the Ohio. And I always thought A Brave New World was about westward expansion. Guess not lol I couldn’t get past Navy blue for Tuesday. 
Franz Ferdinand/1914 immediately came to mind for Monday, and since Jimmy Carter was the only 1976 candidate I could think of, Georgia On My Mind came to me pretty quickly probably helped by the fact my dad is a huge Ray Charles fan.

• Love 4

Week forty-two: one for five, no asterisks. I got the beginning of World War I and went straight down hill from there.  I still maintain that Thomas Jefferson never went far enough west to see the Ohio River, so I don't know how he could have claimed that it was the most beautiful river on earth!

Our local groceries and farmer's markets are loaded with fresh corn on the cob -- how's that for a one-ingredient dish for the Table for One? I'll make a few flavored butters, if someone will bring a metric ton of napkins.

• Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, j5cochran said:

I still maintain that Thomas Jefferson never went far enough west to see the Ohio River, so I don't know how he could have claimed that it was the most beautiful river on earth!

I agree with you. In my mind, Thomas J. rode west for a few hours one day and came up to the Rappahannock River. He said to his guide, "Why look, it's the Ohio River! It's as beautiful as LaSalle said it was!" And his guide just rolled his eyes and said, "Yeah, you're right boss" while mumbling "Whatever" to himself. Then Jefferson went home and wrote about it.

@zoey1996, I swear, you had the best birthday ever. I am so happy for you. And some real NOLA pralines on top of it all. Once a very kind person sent me some pralines from there (and some Dukes mayo too) and I was sincerely and greatly touched by her generosity.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Normally I am all by myself with the donuts (I prefer those to bagels!) but this week I think there are enough that we can have our own round table!

0/5...unless you count Prussia (without France) as a half point.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Normally I am all by myself with the donuts (I prefer those to bagels!) but this week I think there are enough that we can have our own round table!

0/5...unless you count Prussia (without France) as a half point.

We welcome all round carbs at the round table of 0.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Anyone remember when it was a thing for Ohio rivers to catch on fire?

I remember rivers catching on fire, but I didn't remember where. I once lived briefly*  lived in Cayahoga Falls, so I at least recognized the river in the  song.

*barely a month.

16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Randy Newman does. 

• Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, bybrandy said:

We welcome all round carbs at the round table of 0.

Well, I never thought of it that way before, but this cheers me considerably. Pizza is round. I will order enough for all the tables ...  but only if they are willing to share their bounty with us Zeros.

30 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

Big fall to go with a ridiculously crazy, insane, stressful week.

It's said misery loves company. I thought I was the only one thinking how nice it would be to not be this past week. I hope the weeks to come are an improvement @Ailianna.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4