Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

I lucky guessed my way to 4/5 with two * this week.  The only one I felt at all confident about was Monday since I had a period where I read intensely about the start of WWI (I recommend "The Guns of August" to anyone interested).  

Tuesday was a guess based on the only timely war I could come up with was Franco-Prussian (trying to come up with the answer via colors was too much for me).  

I never read Brave New World and only had a vague idea what it was about so it would have been a month of Sundays before I got anywhere near it as an answer.

Desperately trying to picture the map of West Virginia got me to a wild guess of the Ohio,  And on Friday Jimmy Carter popped into my brain quickly (I was a teenage volunteer on a Michigan Senate campaign which coordinated with the local Carter campaign office that year so it was the first Presidential race I paid any significant attention to) and it somehow got me the Georgia on My Mind just in time.

Aunt Sally's Pralines are amazing - I am currently savoring the last couple from a box I ordered a couple months ago - still good for every delicious bite.

• Love 4

4/5 and 1*. On Thursday I was thinking of rivers in West Virginia so said Monongahela. At least I was in good company by missing that clue. It was nice to learn the Ohio River was beautiful back in Jefferson's day. 

• Love 5

Also 3/5.  

Sometimes I wonder if we could make teams that would do extra well, with one member making up for another's weaker categories.  This week, for example, Toothbrush got the two that I missed, and she got the two that I missed.

• Love 5

Week forty-three: three of five. I could not have come up with the name of the rock band if you threatened me with Ozzy Osbourne, but I should have gotten The Handmaid's Tale. I was sidetracked with the Decameron, got to The Canterbury Tales, but kept trying to come up with a "somecity" Tales. The Cleveland Tales? The Cincinnati Tales? The Cucamonga Tales?

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

Week forty-three: three of five. I could not have come up with the name of the rock band if you threatened me with Ozzy Osbourne, but I should have gotten The Handmaid's Tale. I was sidetracked with the Decameron, got to The Canterbury Tales, but kept trying to come up with a "somecity" Tales. The Cleveland Tales? The Cincinnati Tales? The Cucamonga Tales?

The Carson Tales?

• LOL 8
(edited)

3/5 

All week people were complaining about the THE question being too easy but not being a huge follower of sport I didn't know it.  I did know it was not the University of South Carolina who did try to make the happen and is now trying to resign itself to UofSC to distinguish itself from that team in SoCal.  Final 3 for me as well.

Edited by bybrandy
  • Love 4
(edited)

3/5 0* I got Monday, Thursday and Friday.

There seems to be a lot of us this week with that score.  We can have a huge buffet at our table.  And invite everyone else to join us.

Were there any asterisks?

eta: There were no asterisks this week.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, bybrandy said:

3/5 

All week people were complaining about the THE question being too easy but not being a huge follower of sport I didn't know it.  I did know it was not the University of South Carolina who did try to make the happen and is now trying to resign itself to UofSC to distinguish itself from that team in SoCal.  Final 3 for me as well.

I had no idea either. My husband thought it was either UofTX or UofTN since they’re both UT & both school’s colors are orange & white. 

• Love 3

4/5 - I don't think I would have gotten to U2 if they had given me 30 minutes to come up with it but it made utter sense when I heard it.  Popular music of the 90s forward would be a weak category for me since I aged out of a lot of it - have picked up some things from younger friends, coworkers, the media "ether" but I would not be comfortable staking much on any answer.

I guessed on Tonkin/Thailand, knew OSU thanks to Michigan/Ohio rivalry, did an educated guess for Rock of Ages and knew Handmaid's Tale thanks to it being published when I was still reading a lot of things that I was supposed to read (post college, pre-oh to heck with it, I just want to read something light like a cozy mystery or if I am being serious, some nonfiction). 

I am trying out a new pasta salad recipe that I would be happy to bring as a side dish if it works out or more reliably I offer the T4 some sticky sesame chicken wings. 

• Love 6

4/5; I didn’t see the U2 episode because of this weeks schedule being messed up by the NBA finals and then it was spoiled on the show before I saw the question which I don’t remember ever happening before!

• Love 3

2/5, college and U2. Knew the latter before Sanjay was done reading the clue!

Thought he was a good host. I've enjoyed many of these guest hosts, it would be hard to pick a favorite, at this point. 

• Love 3

WEEK 43 • July 5, 2021 — NO asterisk  *
211. World Geography. On either side of Indochina are these 2 gulfs that start with the same letter.
212. Colleges & Universities. In 2019 this public university attempted to trademark the word “the” for use on clothing & hats.
213. Rock Bands. In 2017 this band whose singer goes by a nickname became the first to have No. 1 albums in the U.S. in the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s & 2010s.
214. Musical Landmarks. A cleft of limestone in England sheltered Rev. Augustus Toplady from a storm & inspired this popular hymn.
215. 1980s Bestsellers. The title of this 1985 novel by a Canadian author partly alludes to the similarly named stories in a 14th century work.

• Love 8

WEEK 44 • July 12, 2021 — ONE asterisk  *
216. College Life. This dish associated with Harvard goes back to the start of the school; the wife of the first headmaster made an awful version.
217. Inventors & Inventions. In 1899 James Atkinson patented his new & improved one of these, including its spring-powered snapping action.
218. Animation. These characters first seen onscreen in a 1938 film are known in Spain as Juanito, Jorgito & Jaimito.
* 219. Book Characters. Trying to emulate the title character, he fails & is told “You lack a set of spinnerets, & you lack know-how.”  *
220. History. Completed around 1455, it sometimes gets another name because a famous copy was found in the library of Cardinal Mazarin.

• Love 1

4/5 with one*   

Particularly good week for me and I didn't know the answer to the Harvard question even after I saw the answer, so I did the very best I could with the knowledge currently in my head.  pretty chuffed to see @saber5055 too!!!

T44.... um, anything but hasty pudding?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

Particularly good week for me and I didn't know the answer to the Harvard question even after I saw the answer, so I did the very best I could with the knowledge currently in my head.  pretty chuffed to see @saber5055

T44.... um, anything but hasty pudding?

You stole my hasty pudding joke lol

5/5 w/* Almost all were instagets for me, although I was torn between Huey, Dewey, & Louie and the 3 Little Pigs. I went with HDL because I think the 3 pigs were in cartoon shorts in the early 30s  

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, opus said:

I refuse to follow Driad’s 5/5 and bybrandy’s 4/5 with my 0/5.

But I guess I just did…

That's okay. Glad you were the first ;)

I also got 0/5.

Also that is only one FJ right in four whole weeks for me. I'm going to blame it on using up all my brain cells for work. I now (finally!) have 5 days off after all these long stretches and call, and am hoping to regain some brain cells. I promise I am better at my job than I am at Jeopardy!

• Love 9
10 hours ago, bybrandy said:

um, anything but hasty pudding?

Agreed!  I looked up recipes for it and it didn't look too appetizing.  I guess back in Colonial times it was a real treat though.

2/5 0*

I love pesto on just about everything.

So happy to see you are back, @saber5055! I missed you.

• Love 3

4/5 with 1* (which I admit I only got by the last minute skin of my teeth).  My brain twirled through many possible inventions but never came near a mousetrap.  

So glad you are back @saber5055 - hope everything is okay.  You were definitely missed.  

My cooking skills are on summer holiday this week so I will offer up a Peach Sangria which may not match perfectly with the food on offer but after a couple glasses you really don't mind.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 6