Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

I somehow stumbled my way to 4/5 this week.  Hopper was one of Father Grundoon's favorite artists and like @Clanstarling I had to read Faulkner (thank you W&M's Modern American Lit course).  Opera is not a strong suit and my mental rolodex didn't spin quickly enough.  A long ago trip to Australia was enough to get me to Botany Bay.  For Friday an image of Poland on the map popped into my brain and while I wasn't sure it was the right answer, I couldn't come up with a plausible alternative in time and therefore got lucky. 

• Love 6
On 5/29/2021 at 7:09 AM, Mindthinkr said:

I’m at the T41 this week. Bringing these mushroom tarts. They have a layer of gruyere cheese, mushrooms, all in a light flaky crust with a quail egg on top  

F6342204-C66B-42B4-9EC3-85629A3BF22C.thumb.jpeg.e2544c0a1d6aa65a031403c32c09931c.jpeg

Looks amazing! 

@Grundoon59 - My most successful weeks are usually thanks to a couple of lucky guesses or something pulled from a far recess of my brain. 

• Love 5

M. Darcy, welcome to the T43!  I'm admiring the mushroom goodies at the T41, and thinking they might be willing to trade some for bubbly beverages.  So I'll bring sparkling cider, sparkling wine, and seltzer.

• Love 4
(edited)

I’ll bring brisket & ribs to the T43 from my family’s Memorial Day BBQ. I can bring olive oil potato salad too. With real potatoes; not cauliflower which my mom tries to pass off as potatoes because she says we will “not be able to tell the difference”. Even if I were blind and had no tastebuds I can tell. See also cauliflower as subs for macaroni & pizza crust 🤢

Edited by Toothbrush
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Driad said:

M. Darcy, welcome to the T43!  I'm admiring the mushroom goodies at the T41, and thinking they might be willing to trade some for bubbly beverages.  So I'll bring sparkling cider, sparkling wine, and seltzer.

One extra mushroom tart coming up. May I please have a glass of sparkling wine 🍷?  Since we have a theme going I will add some stuffed mushrooms for the T41, plus plenty of extras for those that were too smart to eat with us. CF5A45FB-554F-4DEE-B98B-CB834A0EE3EB.thumb.jpeg.8e119bf6fb237db5a40c5cb9c616c4a7.jpeg

• Love 4

3/5. I missed Rossini (I said Verdi, which made no sense in retrospect) and Poland (which was an easy answer in retrospect). I really enjoyed the Tournament, I thought all the champions were, well, champions.

• Love 4

2/5 with Nighthawks and Botany Bay but I can't believe I missed Poland. I was totally in the right region.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Waiting for @bybrandy and @Prevailing Wind to check in. No doubt they both are on an extended vacation long weekend!

Thanks for the nudge.  I totally was the opposite and so slammed this weekend I forgot it was one!

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm late so I'll just cut to the chase. Week 37's winner can claim to be the Smartest Person In The Room this week, the only player to score a four, the highest this week, no mean achievement during a tough Tournament. So here's applause for the brainiac known in these parts as @Driad. Kudos and acclaim as DRIAD stands at the pinnacle of Week 37. Here's a photo of DRIAD with the rest of us just hanging out for another week in the contest. Congratulations Glorious Winner DRIAD!

153977241_pinnaclecopy.jpg.6d2832ab5f4a0a4c43188e5ca011683d.jpg

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 9
(edited)

Wow, I'm stunned, thank you!  This will probably paralyze my brain for the rest of the week.  :-)

ETA: Arrgh, I called it!  I missed FJ because a different historical person (wrong century) was demanding my attention.

Edited by Driad
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6
34 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

What is the theme this week for the table for two? 

I'm at the T42 (2 4 tee and tea for two) this week but you don't want me to set a theme. I basically suck at everything that involves social skills.

• Love 2
(edited)

WEEK 38 • May 31, 2021 — ONE asterisk  *
186. The Business of Television. The day it debuted in 1980, this network with an Italian name aired a Carnegie Hall celebration of Aaron Copland’s 80th birthday.
187. Around the World. In the 1860s a zoologist proposed that this island was once part of a lost continent he dubbed Lemuria.
188. Newspaper Names. Used as a newspaper name from New York to San Diego, it was an ancient Roman official who represented the people’s interest.
189. 17th Century Frenchmen. Pope Urban VIII once said, “If there is a God,” this French minister “will have much to answer for. If not, he had a successful life.” 
* 190. 17th Century Writing. This 17th century work quotes the Book of Job, “Behold the giants groan under water, and they that dwell with them.” *

Edited by saber5055

1/5.

As someone who immediately considers a question a write-off if it is earlier than 1800, I wasn't thrilled with two days in a row of 17th century something-or-other.

• Love 3

2/5, no *.  Saber and I jinxed me this week, so I'll join you at the T42.  Fun!  I'll bring a big fruit salad, all your favorite fruits, with dressings on the side for those who want them.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

I had hoped that getting past TOC would mean a better FJ score this week. That clearly didn't happen!

It did for me. I doubled my score, from 1 to 2. Woo hoo! (I'm a poet ...)

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, Ailianna said:

3/5, no *. But the fruit, crackers and cheese plates are basically my favorite summer meal, over at the T42. Since that's three items, can we do that at T43 also?

That sounds good to me too. I will bring some hummus with pita chips to add to the cheese, cracker and fruit plate. 

eta:  I just realized that makes more than three items, but I'll still bring it anyhow.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 3

Last week I forgot but it was 2/5. Don't ask me about asterisks.

This past week, I slept through every show but woke up in time on Friday. Reviewing on the J Fan, again, I'm 2/5.  What little I saw of Bialik, she was adequate.

• Love 3

4/5 with no *.  Leviathan made total sense as soon as Mayim said it but it was not coming anywhere near my brain while the music was playing.  The rest of the week fell pretty well into my oddly acquired bits of knowledge so I will be happy with that result.

@Toothbrush - crab cakes with lemon aioli sounds heavenly.  I will be happy to contribute a blueberry streusel for dessert with some good vanilla ice cream for those who prefer a la mode. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I can't believe 5/5 and 1*. Friday's clue I thought that sounded like Moby Dick, a whale, a ... LEVIATHAN! So I lucked into that *. 

Edited by PBnJay
  • Love 7

Sorry, sorry, sorry, I set a reminder for this weekend.  :).

3/5 the first three days were gold and then.....  I knew Richelieu in theory but I kept coming up with other R names.   But 3/5 is ahead of my curve so I'll take it!

• Love 3

There were several contenders for Winner of Week 38, but the obvious standout was our friend @PBnJay who scored a perfect FIVE. I can't think of anything clever to write so I hope PBnJay forgives me as I jump right to posting the Week 38 Winner Award. And here it is. May we all be as successful in Week 39!

890635046_top-5copy.jpg.15dc533da4cceef9eb021131de1a43d8.jpg

• Love 9

Oh wow, what a complete surprise! I am so excited. I never win anything so this is the honor of a lifetime. I am going to print out my winner award for my trophy wall, which now will have one thing on it. Thank you so much FJ Contest! I am humbled by your applause.

• Love 6

WEEK 39 • June 7, 2021 — NO asterisk  *
191. Golden Age Actresses. In 2013 the Victoria & Albert Museum acquired her archives, including letters from Laurence Olivier & Tennessee Williams.
192. Food & Drink Phrases. A 1951 TIME article said, “Since the war,” this 2-word term for a period of time “has been written into union  contracts.”
193. 1960s Singers. In 2002 Macon, Ga., where he grew up, unveiled a statue of this man who sits overlooking the water, a nod to his posthumous No. 1 hit.
194. The Supreme Court. The 1st justice directly succeeded by his fomer clerk was Rehnquist by Roberts; the 2nd time was the other alliterative pair.
195. Geography Words. From the Latin for “key”, this word for a type of isolated country applies to Vatican City, which has keys on its flag.