Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

(edited)
4 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Anyone up for boiled crabs? The females are so delicious right now 🦀

That all just sounds so wrong.

I'm up for some cold sangria though said the person who doesn't drink, if it's okay if I bring a mug by on my way to the T41.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Not a fan of crabs. And, as Saber says, that just sounds wrong. I've never thought of different genders tasting better (no snark here). Except for bell peppers, but then I always forget which is which.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

That all just sounds so wrong.

6 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I love blue crabs, dungeness, etc., but I don’t like soft shell crab. It’s been one of the joys of living where we can get crab, not krab. 🙂

• Love 2

Just last week I watched a cooking show (can't remember which one) where they took the whole soft shell crab, battered it, and deep fried it.  I am so-so on crab (and lobster) but I don't think I could have eaten that.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Trey said:

Just last week I watched a cooking show (can't remember which one) where they took the whole soft shell crab, battered it, and deep fried it.  I am so-so on crab (and lobster) but I don't think I could have eaten that.

I was in a restaurant on the DelMarVa peninsula - Atlantic on one side, Chesapeake Bay on the other. I thought I'd try something I'd never had before, so I ordered a soft-shell crab sandwich. It came just as you described - entire crab battered & deep fried, each lil leg separate.  I choked down most of it. Then I decided to order some bread pudding. How can you fuck up bread pudding?  Easy. Put hard boiled eggs in it. OMG; I nearly threw up. I asked for a to-go cup and then eventually threw it out.

Later, I learned that the shells are soft because they've outgrown & molted their hardened shells and in a short while, these will have hardened too.

Please, do not bring soft-shelled crabs to any table for the FJ contestants!  On the other hand, on my way to Maine, I stopped in Mick's Crab House. It was an All You Can Eat festival. Everybody had buckets with discarded crab shells in them and wee hammers where they were mauling their dinner to get to the meat.  Um, no, thanks. I'm not wrestling with my dinner.  I ordered Crab Imperial, already shucked & served in a creamy sauce.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Score negative points for the above convo reminding me of the free clinic in college. "Female crabs" indeed.

That's where my mind went, but I chose to stifle my urge. 😄

13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Everybody had buckets with discarded crab shells in them and wee hammers where they were mauling their dinner to get to the meat.  Um, no, thanks. I'm not wrestling with my dinner.  I ordered Crab Imperial, already shucked & served in a creamy sauce.

Though I don't like crab, I have the same feeling about lobster. I don't want to mine for my dinner (though I do approve of the bibs - which I think should be standard for all meals, lol).

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I've been AWOL for a couple weeks due to my entire world imploding. I finally stole some time and caught up this week. And maybe deep stress, 15 hour work days, and constantly interrupted sleep is good for my J! game, if nothing else. I'm pretty sure thus was my first 5/5 and there was even an *.  I performed "Who's on First?" a million years ago when I was an actor, and the others all had similar connections that made them easy for me, though I wouldn't have gotten some without those specific connections.

• Love 6

4/5 with one *.  Shakespeare and Abbott & Costello were readily accessible in my brain.  Phoenix was a last minute pop in from somewhere I was not even sure existed.  My mind whirled around trying to get to Hawking in time - even though I was clearly picturing him, the name was hiding until the very last second.  Cartagena would not come to me for love or money {even while I was resorting to my Real Housewives of NYC part of my brain - please don't judge}.

Peaches are in season here in Michigan and I do have a great  Peach Sangria recipe and can offer some fresh sliced peaches for those who don't drink.  I hesitate to admit it but I love lobster and crab in almost any form but soft shells are a particular treat.  Blame it on summer visits to Maine to see my dad's family when lobster was cheap and plentiful (Father Grundoon did regret introducing me to it at a young age when he thought I wouldn't like it and he would have extra).  As to crab, four years at W&M helped cement that as a preference.  

• Love 7

5/5 and 1*. I love that Abbott and Costello routine, it never gets old even though it is. I used to go to a buffet with a friend when buffets existed, it featured crab legs and we'd stay there for hours. Because it takes hours to get enough out of those legs to get filled up. So I'm all for the FJ Crab Boil. And toss in a couple lobsters too. I'll bring the drawn butter!

• Love 5

4/5 no asterisk.... because I didn't think of when.  Why?  I don't know.  Third Base!

Cartagena is always my go to Columbia answer because so seared on my brain is Kathleen Turner's Joan Wilder asking repeatedly, "Is this the bus to Cartagena." 

Edited by bybrandy
  • Love 4

WEEK 47 • August 2, 2021 — TWO asterisk  *
* 231. Historic Businessmen. Born in the village of Waldorf, Germany, in 1763, he arrived in the U.S. in 1784.  *
232. Asia. This country became independent in 1946; in 1964 it officially switched its independence day from July 4 to June 12.
* 233. The Declaration of Independence. The first published announcement of the Declaration was by a Philadelphia paper that reported it in this foreign language.  *
234. 1930s America. Unpopular at the time, the man for whom it is named wasn’t invited to the September 30, 1935 dedication of this landmark.
235. Literature & The Animal Kingdom. In 2020 scientists named Trimeresurus Salazar, a new species of this, after a character in a book series.

• Love 1

Week forty-seven: four of five with both asterisks! I had absolutely no clue on the Trimeresurus Salazar, not even that it was named after the founder of Slytherin House. I guess that it was some kind of dinosaur.

• Love 4

Week 47:  3/5, one *

YTD: 102/235, sixteen *

On 8/2/2021 at 6:51 PM, saber5055 said:

I hope everyone enjoyed the video clip today of the main course at the FJ Contest Table for Soft Shell Crabs. I got a laugh out of it anyway.

Totally missed it, sorry to say!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I guess I know a lot about German immigrants the key to two asterisks this week.

GFY.  I got those two, but I need to study Asian history, and the only Salazars I knew were historical people.

• Love 1

5/5 ** I knew German & Hoover, The Philippines & Astor were lucky guesses, and snake came out of freaking nowhere. I was thinking some sort of aquatic life, but somehow landed on snake. My mind works in very mysterious ways lol 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

@Ailianna it's good to see you, hope your weeks are going better. I am missing your scores for Weeks 43, 44 and 45 (July 5, 12 and 19) and need them to keep you in the running for FJ Contest prizes. No need to watch an entire episode to find FJ. The clues are posted here if you scroll back, or you can go to TheJeopardyFan.com, click on the days, and the answers will also be there about halfway down the page. I don't want to lose you in the contest at this late date!

Somehow went 5/5 with 2*.  Monday-Thursday were nearly instagets for me (Philippines was a bit on the lucky guess side but I settled on it quickly and didn't deviate).  Friday I went straight to Potter land but couldn't decide for sure on the creature - finally just guessed snake since You Know Who's snake was so central to the middle to end of the books/movies.  

I made a pretty good crunchy noodle salad with a new dressing recipe this week (mainly because I can't find my original one) which I will offer up with some garlic bread for a nice August meal.  

• Love 4

5/5 and 2*. I lucked out with Monday's clue, I focused on Waldorf and just answered Waldorf Astoria = Astor. I'm glad I didn't pay attention to the years as I had no idea he was that old.

I will bring Waldorf salad in honor of my getting that answer in spite of not paying attention. Sometimes half a brain is all I need. It should pair well with @Grundoon59's Crunchy Salad.

• Love 5

5/5 2*   Add me to the Waldorf Atoria.... Astor... Can John Jacob Astor be that old?  Eh, okay.   I think the approxomate dates in my head for Astor have to relate to one of his many like named descendants.   

Asia, we didn't grant a lot of people we used strategically their independence so I figured I was right but I could have been wrong.  

Lots of germans live in philly so I guessed that.

1935  is depression.   So Hoover is unpopular... Hoover... Hoover dam.

Salazar=Slytherin=snake.   Not going to get tripped up on potter except when I'm doing miles for Potterhead running club.

• Love 5