Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

3/5 with * I missed Utopia & Ethiopia. I felt like I should have at least guessed Ethiopia correctly after seeing so many flags at the Olympics the past couple of weeks, but I guessed Nigeria with 99.9% certainty that it was incorrect. 
Anyone else haven’t seen Jaws? 

• Love 2

WEEK 48 • August 9, 2021 —TWO asterisk  *
* 236. Beastly Eponyms. A penguin species found in southern South America is named for this 16th C. man whose crew were the first from Europe to see them. *
237. Fictional Places. A savage people called Zapoletes are contrasted with the inhabitants of the title place of this 16th-century work.
* 238. World Flags. The use of red, yellow & green as Pan-African colors began with the flag of this nation, the continent’s oldest independent country.  *
239. Blockbuster Movies. Based on a 1974 novel, this film has been described as combining “An Enemy of the People” & “Moby Dick.”
240. 19th Century American Women. 2 of the 3 women depicted on the first statue of real women in Central Park, unveiled in August 2020.

Back down to 0/5 this week.

Fits in well with the week I had at work this week 😂 I'm not sure what we are eating at the table for zero, or if indeed there is anyone to share with, but I can promise lots and lots of wine.

• Love 3

4/5, 2 *.  I missed Thursday because I don't go to movies (have not seen "Jaws"), and I have read “An Enemy of the People” so it took me in the direction of pollution.

• Love 2

Week forty-eight: 1 (and a half 😄) out of five with no asterisk. I got Jaws and Susan B. Anthony (but with Carrie Chapman Catt - wrong suffragist!).

Back to the Table for One. I want a Chocolate Cow - a root beer float with chocolate ice cream. It's too stinking hot and I've been stuck in meetings every night this week!

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Anyone else haven’t seen Jaws? 

I didn't see it when it was in theaters, because the ads just made it look like a schlocky horror film.

When I did finally see it, I loved it. It's one of our favorite films, and we use catchphrases from it often.

2/5 one *

• Love 5

Atypical let me down on the penguin queston.

2/5 with 1* because I guessed Ethiopia.   I also got Susan B Anthony.  I wrote a paper on Elizabeth Cady Stanton the year the statue was dedicated but either it didn't come up in my research or I didn't remember it.  Sigh.

• Love 4

2/5 no asterisk. But I got Friday so that was something.

Making up for lost weeks:

July 5--2/5 no *

July 12--3/5, 1*

July 19--2/5; no *

Thanks @saber5055. It's been a very stressful summer. I'm glad you pulled me back from the metaphorical J! edge. It's been fun playing along this year. Before I just watched.

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 2

i have part of the score sheet totaled but need to finish (of course) before I can post final scores and winners. I sort of went on sabbatical when I quit all Jeopardy threads, the venomous hateful posts pushed my extreme depression over the edge and I had to get away. My poor mental condition also caused me to stop naming the Contest Weekly Winner, something that I had previously enjoyed.

Final Jeopardy Contest Answer: "What is dysthymia."

Coming here for the contest fun with all of you gave me a reason to keep going, even if some weeks/months were ... well, trying to say the least. I am sad the season has ended. I actually didn't know that Friday was going to be the last day. I don't want to prattle on about my own problems, but an explanation was needed. "It's not you, it's me."

Hoping you all will want to play in Season 38 and will let me be your host. And thank you to every contest player for always being fun, positive and upbeat, making this a safe and happy place where everyone is welcome.

• Love 19

@saber5055 You have also been a font of joy to me this year, and I hope that your personal life is filled with the kindness and generosity you show on these boards on a regular basis.  Thank you so much for your time and effort on the contest, but also just for being someone whom I look forward to seeing posts from every time I'm here.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, Ailianna said:

@saber5055 You have also been a font of joy to me this year, and I hope that your personal life is filled with the kindness and generosity you show on these boards on a regular basis.  Thank you so much for your time and effort on the contest, but also just for being someone whom I look forward to seeing posts from every time I'm here.

@saber5055, I can't say it any better than @Ailianna. Looking forward to next season's contest. Maybe I'll move up a notch, or down. It doesn't matter, because it's fun either way. ❤️

• Love 5

Jeopardy contest is super fun and we enjoy it and your contribution to it with or without players of the week.  I had some rough times too this year but knowing that all the table feasts were going on in here a place where people loved knoledge for the sake of knowledge and appreciated a good praline always had me excited to come to this as a safe place.  I skipped the jeopardy main thread this year and mostly played on TJF but I had LOADS of fun and am totally back for next year!

• Love 5

1/5 with no *  - bad end to the season but I have enjoyed participating with you all this season.  You have helped me through some bad times this year and I thank you for that.  @saber5055 - it was not the same without you and as far as I am concerned wouldn't be in future.  Hope your sabbatical helped and that you can find your center again.  

No food to contribute this week for the T41 - sorry - just got power back last night after 4 days without due to storms - unfortunately I had a moderately well-stocked fridge and freezer - spending parts of the next few days judging what survived and what needs to be thrown out.  On the other hand, this past weekend was one of my favorites of the year - World Tournament of Historic Base Ball at Greenfield Village - 12 teams, 18 hours of games and incredible weather makes for one happy Grundoon.  

• Love 6

4/5 and 2 *. I ended the season by tanking on the very last day, a harbinger of things to come? I was lucky to get the asterisks though, so I know two things that Matt did not, which is amazing. If I ever get on the show (I keep trying!) that could be one of my interview comments, a shout out to contest players!

I enjoy this contest so much. My week begins by coming here and seeing how everyone has done, and to think about what to bring to the potluck. I agree there is too much negativity everywhere, it's difficult to get away from it. But this is where the nice posters are. I agree with everyone above, @saber5055, we appreciate you and hope you have brightness and happiness in your future. You and this contest make our world a better place.

Poor @Grundoon59. Although all your unfrozen food should be enough to feed all the tables at our final feast of this season. Seriously though, my sympathies. I had a big refrigerator die quite by surprise once and it was a nightmare. I will have to think of something special to bring to share with all the tables.

• Love 5

Thanks to everyone for the kind and supportive words. I will try to do better! I have the score sheet finished and ready to post but need the last week's totals for @biakbiak and @helpmerhonda before I can call this season finished. Hopefully, we can do that tomorrow.

I'm going to reupholster my chair at the T41 during the break, it's pretty worn out from me sitting in it pretty much all season, including this week. I did get to visit the T44 once and the T43 a few times. But I'm calling the T41 home. I will bring some good Iowa sweet corn to the final feast. Its shape will pair well with @Prevailing Wind's ONE-shaped hot dogs. Plus it's delicious.

I did get one name for the famous-women clue. Too bad the show wanted two names. But I proudly answered "Jaws" before that clue was finished being read. Hoping all of you are back for Season 38's FJ Contest, plus more join up so I can say "We're gonna need a bigger score sheet."

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, helpmerhonda said:

Ended my year with a 1/5.

Welcome to my favorite table! I just totaled your score and have to announce it's the best score on the entire sheet. You're at the T4! and your final total is 111 with 11 asterisks. It couldn't have been planned better.

Final scores for everyone will be posted tomorrow. Yeay! And since Jeopardy is rerunning episodes for the THIRD TIME, I'm 2/2 so far in Rerun FJ! Yeay me.

4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Oh! Can we make them Corn Dogs then?

But of course! Plus it's county/state fair time. Corn dogs (and funnel cakes) for everyone.

• Love 7
On 8/15/2021 at 7:42 PM, saber5055 said:

Hoping you all will want to play in Season 38 and will let me be your host. And thank you to every contest player for always being fun, positive and upbeat, making this a safe and happy place where everyone is welcome.

Yes, please!

Saber, I’ve been there too. I hope you find your happy place again, and the turkeys don’t get you down.

• Love 8
(edited)

As promised, here are the scores for:

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest - Sept. 14, 2020 – Aug. 13, 2021
(
Appropriate the last day was Friday the 13th.) Ties are in alpha order. Behold, the scores:

Final Jeopardy Answers Correct
PBnJay.....................218
Toothbrush...............182
Grundoon59.............176
Driad..........................172
theartandsound.......162
Browncoat................139
M. Darcy...................139
j5cochran..................131
Ailianna.....................127
bybrandy..................124
illdoc.........................123
Good Queen Jane...120
Prevailing Wind........118
helpmerhonda..........111
Trey...........................107
zoey1996.................104
Clanstarling..............94
GrannySmith............94
DXD526....................88
Mindthinkr...............78
saber.......................70
secnarf....................66
Opus.......................65

Asterisk Totals FJ 37 Contest
PBnJay...................45
Driad.......................31
Grundoon59...........30
Toothbrush.............25
theartandsound.....20
M. Darcy.................20
j5cochran...............20
Browncoat..............18
bybrandy................18
Ailianna...................17
illdoc.......................17
Good Queen Jane..17
Trey.........................17
zoey1996................17
GrannySmith..........15
helpmerhonda........11
Clanstarling............11
DXD526..................11
Prevailing Wind......10
Mindthinkr...............9
secnarf....................6
saber.......................2

I will draw numbers later today to announce the prize winners. Every player was assigned a number which will be randomly drawn from the Magic Cottage Cheese Tub. Stay tuned! (Note I have surrounded myself with All The Best People!)

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 11
On 8/16/2021 at 7:42 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

As to the trolls, I say "Off with their heads!" 

I found this excellent photo of you, Your Majesty.

queen.jpg.93ea8a613ddb64c8d8d4940d8f4410dd.jpg

Then I found this photo of me in my favorite chair at the head of the T41. Some other players have joined me and note the table is set for everyone to come and share our No. 1 hot dogs, corn dogs, Iowa sweet corn, funnel cakes and county fair lemon shakeups. "Party on, Players!"

874034105_teaparty057252-2060x1236.jpeg.a07df8df8d2c5aeda198ace9148ecb6f.jpeg

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, Trey said:

Thank you, saber.  I had some really low scores during the season so I am pleased that I ended up with a better total than I thought I had.

And I, unfortunately, ended up exactly where I thought I would. But I add my thanks to @saber5055, as it's a fun game even if I'm not a high scorer.

• Love 6

Thank you @saber5055 for hosting the contest. And please please host again next season, which is starting in a month so take this time to rest up! I loved the photo of you at the T41, and in keeping with the fair-food theme, I'm bringing cheesesteaks on hoagie buns, with a side of kettle corn. Enough for all to enjoy.

I don't get to post often but coming here and seeing how everyone has done each week in the contest is a high point for me. Saber, you are appreciated more than you know.

• Love 8

Congratulations @PBnJay!!! 

Thank you @saber5055 for making this so fun! No joke, my first thought this morning was that I had to come here & post my FJ results before I remembered that what I watched last week were repeats. I amaze myself sometimes 🤦 You are an absolute treat & have made me laugh so many times. I hope you are feeling yourself again soon. It wouldn’t be the same without you. 

• Love 6

Thanks @saber5055 for the T41 table setting and menu - I will just say YUM - and if either Tweedle Dee or Tweedle Dum's seat is available at the table, I will proudly take my place (long ago and far away in grad school, a friend and I dressed as them for a Halloween party).  

• Love 4