Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

Week thirty-five: one of five. I would blame the fact that I had evening meetings four of five days this week, but I got Monday's answer right and I had two meetings that night!

I'm in a bit of a Chinese mood, so I'll bring homemade egg drop soup with mini wontons. Made with ginger and garlic, it's yummy!

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

In honor of chocolate chip day I will make both chocolate chip cookies and safe-to-eat chocolate chip cookie dough for the table for 4. 

Sad-face emoji because I'm at the T41, and I had to fudge (the non-edible kind) to get there.

• Love 1

3/5 this week - Books of the Bible would never be a strong suit for me and Friday my mind did not process the clue properly and I got stuck on the east/west direction and the less than 100 years part so I got totally messed up. 

I could try to blame it on having mowed the grass before dinner and just realizing I was out of Zyrtec as my sinuses protested but I think I would have hit the same end even if I were breathing properly.  I have no idea for a food/beverage contribution for the T43 but I will try to think of something.

Oh well, onward and upward for next week - since this is my first year participating in the contest, I am assuming TOC still counts?

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

since this is my first year participating in the contest, I am assuming TOC still counts?

Yep, the contest continues regardless of who is playing or who is hosting. I think it was last season that we got a bunch of reruns. We kept playing and discovered those of us who didn't know the answers the first time didn't know them the second or third time either.

It will be interesting to see if the ToC FJs are considered more difficult. I doubt it since I'm a firm believer in IEIYKI.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Fudge sounds like a marvelous addition to the T41. Yummy.

Only if someone else makes it. I would even ruin melting chocolate chips and pouring them into a pan.

• LOL 2
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

How about these folks:

I'm so confused but it appears to be a really real place. However, online ordering isn't working. And since you live closer, how about you take your speed boat up the coast and buy a few boxes for the T41. Please. And thank you.

fudge.thumb.png.3c5370734517628d90342ce88a05abef.png

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I'm so confused but it appears to be a really real place. However, online ordering isn't working. And since you live closer, how about you take your speed boat up the coast and buy a few boxes for the T41. Please. And thank you.

fudge.thumb.png.3c5370734517628d90342ce88a05abef.png

The got the Colbert Bump, I guess and sold out.  Colbert promoted them on his show. That's a pretty lengthy speedboat trip. 😊

• LOL 2
9 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Fudge sounds like a marvelous addition to the T41. Yummy.

9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Only if someone else makes it. I would even ruin melting chocolate chips and pouring them into a pan.

I make awesome homemade fudge. None of this melt chocolate chips and add sweetened condensed milk stuff! My fudge is the original Hershey's Cocoa recipe (that isn't on the cans anymore), with sugar and cocoa and milk cooked to the softball stage...

The only question that I have, for the assorted denizens of the Table for One, do you want crunchy peanut butter added for the nuts, or creamy for that mild hint of PB? And warn me if any of you have a peanut allergy!

• Love 6

Bless your heart @j5cochran. I'm a crunchy peanut butter person but can live with creamy or none at all. I am very easy to please ... any food that isn't created by me is delicious. Plus, I have no allergies and I like everything. Yeay me! All food makes me happy.

I am currently doing my taxes because deadline tomorrow. I will need a whole box of your Hershey's Cocoa fudge (I remember when there was a recipe on the cans ... my mom used to make it, I can still see the can, I would retrieve it for her from the cupboard because I was much taller than she) when and if I ever manage to struggle through these forms. The left side of my brain got beaten up by the right side many years ago.

• Love 2

No nuts or peanut butter in my fudge, please!  @j5cochran, does your fudge require beating until your arm falls off after it gets to the soft ball stage? (that all sounds so naughty!) That might be the same recipe we use in my family.  And it’s way more delicious to me than that mushy stuff you get in fudge shoppes.

• LOL 3
9 hours ago, j5cochran said:

I make awesome homemade fudge. None of this melt chocolate chips and add sweetened condensed milk stuff! My fudge is the original Hershey's Cocoa recipe (that isn't on the cans anymore), with sugar and cocoa and milk cooked to the softball stage...

The only question that I have, for the assorted denizens of the Table for One, do you want crunchy peanut butter added for the nuts, or creamy for that mild hint of PB? And warn me if any of you have a peanut allergy!

Peanut butter any way it comes - I've literally only eaten peanut butter cups for the last year (I mean, as a candy bar treat one day a week for eating well the rest of it).

But I'm open to fudge of any kind.

• Love 2

4/5. I said the same thing as one of the contestants, "Oh, the Places You Will Go." Oh well. I'm not going any place any time soon so I guess it's okay.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

4/5. Chocolate chip cookies for me!

PS: Is there a difference between toll house cookies and chocolate chip cookies? Asking for a friend.

Yes, for Toll House cookies use the recipe on the bag of Nestle's semisweet chocolate chips. For chocolate chip cookies, use any chocolate chip cookie recipe, and any brand of chocolate chips. I like the one that adds oatmeal to the dough, but Toll House are always the best. Use a good quality chocolate; the others just don't taste right.  I don't know what's in the KFC chocolate chip cookies, but the chocolate isn't good and tastes off.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

No nuts or peanut butter in my fudge, please!  @j5cochran, does your fudge require beating until your arm falls off after it gets to the soft ball stage? (that all sounds so naughty!) That might be the same recipe we use in my family.  And it’s way more delicious to me than that mushy stuff you get in fudge shoppes.

Yep! We have strong arms on the women in my family!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, bybrandy said:

2/5 (should have been 3 but I can't read.... and was looking for east Asian capitals rather than west Asian capitals.0

Now I wonder what is the farthest east Asian capital. Anyone?

It's only Muh Muh Muh Muhnday, I mean Monday, but the winner of Week 35 is loud and clearly the brilliant player known as @Driad, the only one of us to score a perfect FIVE. And to commemorate this very special event, here is a BIG FIVE trophy just for you, Driad. Start a trophy case and put this in it as the first of more to come. I'm sure of it! Now, congratulations to you from us all, and ... BEHOLD! Your award!

DriadFive.thumb.jpg.3c1dc51cfd802a95c745edc290dd07bb.jpg

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I found this photo of @j5cochran's great grandmother taken just after she finished stirring up a pot of fudge.

We_Can_Do_It.jpg.995042bb25b28a717d60e8ac5a3cbdcf.jpg

Truthfully, that looks a bit like my mom back in her fudge-stirring days. She's now 97!

• Love 5
1 minute ago, j5cochran said:

Truthfully, that looks a bit like my mom back in her fudge-stirring days. She's now 97!

I was going to say that's a pic of your mom but didn't want to insult her. Just in case. But now I know there is a strong family resemblance, your mom to her grandmother! (Hugs to your mom. Bless her heart.)

7 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

here is a BIG FIVE trophy just for you, Driad.

Wow, thank you!  I have a few others (math, costuming, and fantasy football) but this is the most gorgeous.

I'll bring five spice chicken and a batch of ranger cookies to share with all the tables.

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Now I wonder what is the farthest east Asian capital. Anyone?

Ok, I spent far too long looking at my wall calendar.

First - presuming Oceania is NOT included in Asia, I believe it would be Tokyo.

Then, I went down a rabbit hole of what is the furthest East capital in general. Must first define "furthest East". Is it closest to 180 degrees, or closest to international date line?

If you define as closest to international date line, it looks like Apia, closely followed by Funafuti and then Suva.

If you define as closest to 180 degrees (but still on the "left" or Western side of 180 degrees) then it would be Funafuti.

15 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

It's only Muh Muh Muh Muhnday, I mean Monday, but the winner of Week 35 is loud and clearly the brilliant player known as @Driad, the only one of us to score a perfect FIVE. And to commemorate this very special event, here is a BIG FIVE trophy just for you, Driad. Start a trophy case and put this in it as the first of more to come. I'm sure of it! Now, congratulations to you from us all, and ... BEHOLD! Your award!

DriadFive.thumb.jpg.3c1dc51cfd802a95c745edc290dd07bb.jpg

Congratulations Driad!!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, secnarf said:

If you define as closest to 180 degrees (but still on the "left" or Western side of 180 degrees) then it would be Funafuti.

Okay, I just failed that FJ answer too. Yeay me (not).

6 minutes ago, Driad said:

I'll bring five spice chicken and a batch of ranger cookies to share with all the tables.

Now you're talkin'. YUM! Ranger cookies AND FIVE FIVE FIVE-spice chicken. Appropriate!

• Love 2

My family's ranger cookie recipe makes 8-10 dozen cookies, so there will be plenty for everyone.  They keep well, I heard, but they never got the chance in our house.  Along the same lines, I have never ever made just one pan of lasagna, because why bother for so little?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Driad said:

My family's ranger cookie recipe makes 8-10 dozen cookies, so there will be plenty for everyone.  They keep well, I heard, but they never got the chance in our house.  Along the same lines, I have never ever made just one pan of lasagna, because why bother for so little?

What are ranger cookies?

I’ve made a loaf pan of lasagna, perfect for three servings. I like lasagna, but I don’t love it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

What are ranger cookies?

They have chocolate chips and also oatmeal, coconut, and Rice Krispies (or equivalent) if I recall correctly.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Driad said:

They have chocolate chips and also oatmeal, coconut, and Rice Krispies (or equivalent) if I recall correctly.

Then there are the ranger cookies made by real Army rangers ... put some sugar and creamer in a tin cup and heat it up over the MRE heater until the sugar/creamer bake together. Delicious snack!

55 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Then there are the ranger cookies made by real Army rangers ... put some sugar and creamer in a tin cup and heat it up over the MRE heater until the sugar/creamer bake together. Delicious snack!

When I was a kid, and mom wasn't home, I'd sometimes stir up cocoa, sugar, and a little hot water; that was my invention for fudge.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

WEEK 36 • May 17, 2021 — ONE asterisk *
176. Ancient Greeks. Plutarch quotes this man who sentenced many to death: “Small ones deserve that, and I have no higher for the greater crimes.”
177. Animals. German settlers in Texas called this animal “panzerschwein.”
178. Middle Eastern Geography. Of the 6 countries that border the Red Sea, it’s last alphabetically.
* 179. Colonial America. Milestones along the eastern end of the Mason-Dixon Line were marked on either side with the crests of these 2 men.  *
180. American Authors. The year before his 1809 birth, his parents acted in “King Lear,” leading scholars to believe he was named for a “Lear” character.

• Love 1

Week thirty-six: three of five, with the asterisk! I had no clue on the Greek dude on Monday, and on Friday, I got distracted by the actor parents part of the clue and guessed Edmund Booth. Except that John Wilkes Booth's brother was Edwin Booth. There was an Edmund Booth, who was a deaf journalist and writer, born in 1810.  So close. So wrong!

• Love 4

3/5 no * Yemen was a guess as I had no idea if it borders the Red Sea, but it is at the end of the alphabet so Yemen it was. 🇾🇪 Poe was a guess also, but I remembered reading that his parents were actors so went with that. 

3 hours ago, j5cochran said:

Week thirty-six: three of five, with the asterisk! 

No asterisk but I’ll see you at the TF3. I’m in a fried food mood so I’ll bring Cane’s chicken fingers. With extra sauce 😋

1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

Table for zero!

You can be the hostess & I’ll put some chicken fingers & fries to the side for you. TX toast too. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

No asterisk but I’ll see you at the TF3. I’m in a fried food mood so I’ll bring Cane’s chicken fingers. With extra sauce 😋

I've never heard of Cane's, but according to their website, there's one about 75 miles away, in Ohio. Don't think I'll make a trip there soon!

I'm in the mood for some warm weather fare with my chicken fingers - how about a salad of spring greens and baby spinach with chopped green onions, topped by a hot bacon dressing?

• Love 2