Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

3/5 - one *.  Again started the week well (feel like the William and Mary gods pulled me through on the Monroe Doctrine) but could not get the Thursday or Friday answers to come to the front part of my brain even though I know the information existed in the dim recesses of my memory. 

I would blame on it on golf keeping me from seeing the show and having to read the clues in the archive but if I am being honest, I don't know that I would have gotten them any better as a viewer.  

I know strawberries and ice cream were already claimed by another table but I just picked up some lovely Michigan berries at a farmers market this morning so I would propose the combo for an all tables dessert this week.  You have got to enjoy fresh fruit in season whenever you can.  

• Love 7
(edited)

4/5 and 1*. I completely missed Friday, I was concentrating too much on croaked and doornail and couldn't come up with even a guess at author.

I'm happy about Michigan strawberries and ice cream as this week's dessert treat. I will bring extra ice cream, there is never enough ice cream.

Edited by PBnJay
  • Love 8

4/5, 1*. I had to go to the archive after Wednesday though. I'm not sure if that was good or bad, but it definitely was bad for my mood when I realized I was missing those episodes.

Berries and ice cream sound lovely. Can I bring a berry variety pack though? Blueberry, blackberry, raspberry and kiwi to go with the strawberry? And I know kiwi isn't a berry but it does go well.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

Berries and ice cream sound lovely. Can I bring a berry variety pack though? Blueberry, blackberry, raspberry and kiwi to go with the strawberry? And I know kiwi isn't a berry but it does go well.

I would love a mix of berries.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

The Table for Two is going to be really crowded this week!

Yes, but with such nice people. But don't worry folks, I expect to be back at my usual seat at the T41 next week.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Ailianna said:

4/5, 1*. I had to go to the archive after Wednesday though. I'm not sure if that was good or bad, but it definitely was bad for my mood when I realized I was missing those episodes.

Kiwis CAN be berries...  https://hbfberries.com/fresh-fruit/kiwi-berries/

• Love 1
13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Yes, but with such nice people. But don't worry folks, I expect to be back at my usual seat at the T41 next week.

We'll miss you this week.

7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Technically so are tomatoes https://www.britannica.com/science/berry-plant-reproductive-body, but I'm thinking they don't go well with ice cream (but Kiwis do).

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I have no problem with any kind of berry mix - strawberries just happen to be the ones in season right now here in Michigan.  I am already looking forward to raspberry and blueberry season in the near future (although according to my favorite farm market vendor all fruits this year are a bit delayed due to our fairly odd spring weather - but the good news is it looks like all fruits will have good seasons this year - especially peaches - can't wait)

• Love 5

Well folks, here's a historic first: No Weekly Winner for Week 40. No one was copying off of anyone else's paper, no one was doing numerical patterns with his/her scores. I thought about pulling a number from the Magic Cottage Cheese cup but I'm too lacking in energy myself to do even that. So sorry Players, Week 40 will be a Big Pass.

@Grundoon59, however, is awarded Honorable Mention for once again telling the best and most interesting stories. So there's that. Just no tangible award this week Grundoon, just a hearty handshake and a virtual pat on the back.

Anyone looking for me, I'll be over in the corner eating ice cream directly from the tub.

• Love 3

I happily and humbly accept the Honorable Mention.  Glad to know the comments/stories are being received in the spirit in which they were intended. 

@saber5055 I agree with the no bad ice cream theory and do enjoy a wide variety myself although these days I am hitting a good quality vanilla pretty hard to let the strawberries be the star.  Thanks again for the Honor. 

• Love 6
(edited)

All this talk about ice cream (even though I initiated it this weekend) has made sure that it's on my list for shopping tomorrow. I might even get a pint instead of the cups I generally use to limit my intake.

Plus the 100+ temperatures outside aren't exactly discouraging icy treats.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

All this talk about ice cream (even though I initiated it this weekend) has made sure that it's on my list for shopping tomorrow.

I just got home from grocery shopping (it's an hour's drive 'round trip so a big deal) and had a discount coupon for a tub of ice cream. So I made use of my spoon on the way home.

3 hours ago, illdoc said:

Not a spoiler, but I think you all will like one of today's categories. It's "on topic"

Went to the big city at a certain time on purpose so I would not see today's episode. I'm tired of hearing about what every host is wearing so didn't even want to see it. I'd rather drive all the country back roads for an hour than have to read more from the Jeopardy oh-so-expert fashion mavens.

What happened to the good old days when we talked about the clues/answers instead of critiquing everyone's clothing choices.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

5/5 with * Twain was a total guess! 

1 hour ago, opus said:

0/5

Stupid no y at the end of Jabberwock 😡

I learned the hard way

I don’t remember seeing you on Jeopardy. I must have missed Penguin Week 😣

• Love 6

WEEK 41 • June 21, 2021 — ONE asterisk  *
201. Reference Books. Emily Dickinson made frequent use of a work by this family friend & said that for several years, it was “my only companion.”
202. 19th Century Literary Creatures. The author said the name of this 10-letter creature in his poem meant “the result of much excited discussion.”
203. Famous Women. In 1983, 20 years after her famous first, she was honored on a one-ruble coin.
204. American Authors. “Camelot”, “The Pilgrims” & “A Postscript by Clarence” are chapters in a classic novel by this author.
* 205. New York City. Bright new lighting installed in 1880 on a street that crosses Manhattan diagonally led to this 3-word nickname.

• Love 1

Week forty-one: three of five, with the asterisk! I knew that they wanted the name of the first female cosmonaut, but couldn't come up with her name -- Svetlana . . . Irina . . . Natalia . . .  time's up! And I should have guessed Mark Twain just because it's an American Author category. 

I'm completely stumped for a fascinatingly yummy dish for the Table for Three. I've been heads-down all week making an eight-minute-long movie for a non-profit I work with. Maybe a summer fruit salad?

• Love 3
(edited)

3/5 with 1*. 

On 6/24/2021 at 9:29 PM, saber5055 said:

I just got home from grocery shopping (it's an hour's drive 'round trip so a big deal) and had a discount coupon for a tub of ice cream. So I made use of my spoon on the way home.

Went to the big city at a certain time on purpose so I would not see today's episode. I'm tired of hearing about what every host is wearing so didn't even want to see it. I'd rather drive all the country back roads for an hour than have to read more from the Jeopardy oh-so-expert fashion mavens.

What happened to the good old days when we talked about the clues/answers instead of critiquing everyone's clothing choices.

I firmly believe all the fashion talk is solely because some of the guest hosts are women. You never see much discussion of men in suits and how their clothes are good or bad. But women?

I'm a trial attorney and sometimes I have a chance to talk to the jurors afterward about what they thought of the trial. I can't count the number of times my male opponents get comments about their actual performance and I only get comments (whether or not they are complimentary) about what I wore. It's another little bit of sexism.

Back to our regularly scheduled discussion. I'm actually in the mood for enchiladas. Any takers at T43?

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 5

4/5 with one *.  Greenfield Village to the rescue again since I pass the house where Noah Webster wrote the dictionary most weekends in the summer (not this one since Base Ball was cancelled due to the field basically being a lake thanks to 7 inches of rain Friday night). 

I remembered to leave off the Y for Jabberwock in the nick of time and the female cosmonaut's name was one that stuck somewhere accessible in my memory once I learned it.

I am embarrassed that I didn't get Twain - when I think of Connecticut Yankee I think of the musical but hey having a Broadway interest made Friday an Instaget.

I have no imagination for cooking this week - Detroit is in days long cycle of mugginess and probably more rain then we can handle.  I am lucky with no flooding and no power loss but worrying about both has drained my creative juices.  Can I just bring some really good local hot dogs and buns if someone is willing to grill?

• Love 5

Hot dogs sound great, perfect for this weather. I am not too far from you even though I'm in Canada, so we are getting the same muggy weather here.

I could bring some potato salad made from the potatoes we just dug out of the garden.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

1/5 with no *. I put the Y on Jabberwock and got as far as Valentina, first woman in space, so I was close on two more. But as my Dad used to say, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

I haven't heard the hand grenades version of that since I was a kid (military brat). It took me a beat to remember it.

• Love 3