Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

5/5 and 1*. On Monday I instantly said Harvard beets because everyone hates beets, then Hasty Pudding came to me in time. The * was easy since I was given a copy of Charlotte's Web when I was a child, and I still look at it. Maybe I will bring some nice Harvard beets to the T45, enough to share with everyone!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

PBnJay, welcome to the T45!  There are 4 of us?  I love beets, so I hope you have plenty of Harvard beets, to go with a big green salad with shredded raw beets in it.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Driad said:

PBnJay, welcome to the T45!  There are 4 of us?  I love beets, so I hope you have plenty of Harvard beets, to go with a big green salad with shredded raw beets in it.

It looks like we are the table to beet this week! Harvard beets it is, plus I just found a recipe for a chocolate-beet cake, if anyone is up for that. Chocolate makes everything better, right?

• Love 3
7 hours ago, PBnJay said:

It looks like we are the table to beet this week! Harvard beets it is, plus I just found a recipe for a chocolate-beet cake, if anyone is up for that. Chocolate makes everything better, right?

I don’t think that even chocolate can make beets taste better!! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

WEEK 45 • July 19, 2021 — ONE asterisk  *
221. The 50 States. Both in the Pacific, they are the 50 states’ 2 biggest islands in area; one is about 40 degrees colder in winter than the other.
222. The 20th Century. The code name for a historic meeting at this city was “Argonaut”, after the heroes who searched for the Golden Fleece on the Black Sea.
223. African Monarchs. Some devotees of this emperor who died in 1975 trace his lineage to King Solomon & the Queen of Sheba.
224. 1970s Movie Scenes. Writer Dan O’Bannon based a scene in this film on his own Crohn’s disease, which felt like things inside him fighting to get out.
* 225. Literary Characters. This owner of a large estate in Derbyshire is described as “proud” at least half a dozen times. *

• Love 2

5/5, 1 *.  Next week I'll probably faceplant in the muck.  Re Friday, I have never read any Jane Austen (I don't relate to romance as a spectator sport) but I watch PBS.

• Love 4
(edited)

2/5* this week.

Well, 2.5 if you count Hawaii (+ "somewhere in Alaska").

Edited to add * after watching today's episode (had seen the question online earlier today).

Edited by secnarf
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 minutes ago, secnarf said:

2/5 this week.

Well, 2.5 if you count Hawaii (+ "somewhere in Alaska").

4/5 with *. But if ^^^ counts, then  4.5/5 with * 😉

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 3

Week forty-five: four of five with the asterisk! (Or four-and-a-half out of five, if I get the gimme that @secnarf mentioned above - I got the Big Island of Hawaii and some big island in the Aleutians of Alaska!)

I just made a batch of lemon cookies for my church's rummage/bake sale. They were so-so, but I figured out what I did wrong (they needed to be baked four minutes longer than the recipe). So I'll bring the new-and-improved batch of sugar cookies to the Table For Four - the T44.

• Love 4

4/5 with one * 

I cannot claim 4.5 because I did get both islands on Monday’s clue. 
I did the search by zip code that @Driad suggested, but evidently my area thinks WOF is much more important and none of the channels are showing Jeopardy. While it’s Olympic time, how do I find out correct answers to check myself? The archives give me the questions, but when I press on them for answers it states this URL is not available. I’m sure it’s my lack of iPad skills. 

• Love 2
On 7/24/2021 at 9:04 AM, Mindthinkr said:

While it’s Olympic time, how do I find out correct answers to check myself? The archives give me the questions, but when I press on them for answers it states this URL is not available. I’m sure it’s my lack of iPad skills.

If it's FJ you want, go to www.thejeopardyfan.com. The clue/answer is posted in early morning and results after noon, including who won, the DD amounts and if the FJ was an *. If it's all the answers you are looking for, J-Archive works on my desktop computer. Maybe try that old-school approach.

As for the .5 on the island thing, that's a big NO. Gotta get both or no cigar and no FJ credit. Otherwise, my answer of "That dude in the Jane Austen book" would have worked for Friday.

Speaking of, I wondered if @M. Darcy got Friday's FJ.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

5/5 with 1* - Tuesday-Friday somehow fell into my oddly shaped wheelhouse but Monday was a lucky guess with the guess part being Hawaii - I should know those islands better - my only Hawaiian experience involves deplaning after a flight from Australia to LA (we had to go through customs in Honolulu) and thanks to several hours of mild turbulence {I will never forget the pilot saying " folks we are going to be fine but uncomfortable for awhile due to a large storm we are passing over - get your drinks now because I am ordering the cabin attendants to their seats for the duration"}, I barely registered being there. 

My Alaska experience is only slightly longer - 48 hours in Fairbanks for a June wedding (mainly thanks to Australian trip frequent flyer miles) and mostly what I remember is the wedding of course and it never got dark the whole time I was there.  But somehow that island I knew.

My cooking desire is still awol so I will offer up a Detroit dessert treat - Sanders Chocolate Bumpy Cake and hope no one minds store-bought this week.  

• Love 5
(edited)
17 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

I will offer up a Detroit dessert treat - Sanders Chocolate Bumpy Cake and hope no one minds store-bought this week.  

If it's chocolate, it's great!  I have never tried that cake.  My only experience in Detroit was a business trip, part of which we spent hiding under an overpass because of hail of windshield-shattering size.  

I'll bring five spice chicken. Enough for other tables too!

Edited by Driad
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 7/25/2021 at 4:08 PM, saber5055 said:

As for the .5 on the island thing, that's a big NO. Gotta get both or no cigar and no FJ credit.

Correct which was why my final score was 4. Hey, I’ll take it. I’m tired of getting nothing 😂

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 3
(edited)

5/5 with one *. I am very happy to be at @Grundoon59's table to share that delicious Detroit Sanders Chocolate Bumpy Cake. Next time I'm in Motor City, I am going to look for one. Or two! It will be a great finish for @Driad's Five-Spice Chicken.

Look at me, just eating everyone else's contributions. I'd better get looking through my recipe books or I will be banned from all tables.

Edited by PBnJay
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

Back from Iceland (fab trip!), and checked the archives just now.  I am amazed to report that I got 5/5 with the asterisk, of course.  Some of them were even instagets, despite the whole jet lag thing I have going on today.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Back from Iceland (fab trip!), and checked the archives just now.  I am amazed to report that I got 5/5 with the asterisk, of course.  Some of them were even instagets, despite the whole jet lag thing I have going on today.

So jetlag's the secret huh? I'll let you know how that goes when I'm jetlagged next year. 🙂

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

WEEK 46 • July 26, 2021 — ONE asterisk  *
226. Notable Names. Following his death in 2018, his ashes were interred at Westminster Abbey between the remains of fellow scientists Darwin & Newton.
227. Mythological Animals. After being born this creature would bring the remains of its forebear to Heliopolis & put them on the altar of the sun god.
228. Shakespeare’s Plays. “Let’s all sink with the king” is a line from the opening scene of this play.
229. World Cities. This Colombian port of 1 million people gets its name from Phoenician for “New Town.”
* 230. Comedy & Sports. These are the 2 of a reporter’s 5 W’s that are not on the baseball team in Abbott & Costello’s “Who’s On First.” *

Side note: Five of the last eight asterisks have been on Friday. Two on Thursday, one on Monday. This since Week 38, May 31.

• Love 4

5/5 * Cartagena was a lucky guess because it was the only Colombian city I could think of besides Bogata which I knew wasn’t right. The others were pretty much instagets.

Anyone up for boiled crabs? The females are so delicious right now 🦀

• Love 6