Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

WEEK 32 • April 19, 2021 — TWO asterisk **
156. Paintings. The New York Times noted “balls of orange-yellow light” & “the town off in the distance” from the artist’s window in this piece.
*157. European Tourist Attractions. Opened in 1843, it was frequented by Hans Christian Andersen & Walt Disney, who both found inspiration there.  *
*158. American Business. In 2004, after a century as a household name, its last model rolled off the assembly line in Lansing, Michigan.  *
159. Continental Geography. Djibouti, Ethiopia, Eritrea & Somalia make up this region named for its resemblance to a part of a native animal.
160. Movie Title Characters. In this 2012 film set just before the Civil War, a German dentist declares that the title character’s surname is Freeman.

29 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I hope you saved me a seat.

Sure. I’m glad you agree with me that consistency is important, unlike the silly people here who insist on getting the right answers.

• LOL 4
4 minutes ago, opus said:

I’m glad you agree with me that consistency is important, unlike the silly people here who insist on getting the right answers.

My line in the contest score sheet looks like I'm a computer talking in binary.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

1/5.  The painting was an instaget.  I had the wrong car and seriously I don't know how I missed the Africa question.   That one hurt.  The other two? Eh...  Didn't know them.  Wouldn't have gotten them.  But the Africa question?  Still mad at myself.  STILL MAD.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Which one? There were two, two, two asterisks in one week!

Oops!  I completely forgot about the first one!  Probably because I had no clue for it.  I got the second one.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

In my mind, this is what I think my average was in previous seasons. But I highly doubt it.

I can PM your scores from Seasons 35 and 36 if you want to do the math.

• Love 1

3/5 one * (Tuesday) Of course I missed the geography question, and I said Saturn for Wednesday. I clearly missed the century part of the clue, not that I would have gotten it anyway  

I will be sneaking over to the table for 1 for jambalaya & beignets. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I had to look up Wednesday's clue after thinking, "There was a planet FJ? How did I miss that?"

Oldsmobile is a lesser known planet. I hear Elon Musk plans to visit soon 🚀

• LOL 5

I am beyond surprised to end up with 5/5 - two * this week. 

Tivoli was my easiest - I have been lucky enough to have been there several times over the decades (in fact it may qualify as one of the first places I visited in Europe and several favorite Grundoon family memories revolve around it). 

For Oldsmobile I can give credit to being a Michigander and wending my way quickly through some automotive history.  

Starry Night took a minute - for some reason Van Gogh came to mind but the clue made me think of "daytime" pictures first but I got there in time.

Horn of Africa popped in to my brain only at the last second and only after I had pondered whether there was a camel hump of Africa.

For Django, I just started rolling movie titles in my head for relatively recent films set around the time of the Civil War.  I did first land on 12 Years a Slave but thought it might not meet the clue fully and thought it was more recent a film and then reached Django just in the nick of time.  

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Perfect week! Well, perfect in failure - 0/5! 

I will pack some extra peanut-butter sandwiches for you to share at our table.

38 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

If only Biden had nominated his ambassador to the Cape of Good Horn earlier in the week. 

This made me laugh. So thanks.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

1/5, 1*

I said Starry, Starry Night for Monday's FJ, because I'm an old folkie who trusted Don McLean. I counted that as a miss.

I shortened it back to Starry night just in time. I wouldn't call myself a folkie, but I loved that song.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

1/5, 1*

I said Starry, Starry Night for Monday's FJ, because I'm an old folkie who trusted Don McLean. I counted that as a miss.

As one old folkie to another, I'd say you can take that as a win. Others may disagree. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

As Contest Supreme Ruler, I'm calling it a win. The comma tells me you had a brain skip and a stutter, then started over to complete your answer. 2/5* for you this week Your Majesty.

• Love 4

All players have reported in so it's time to announce the Clear And Far Away Most Obvious Winner of Week 32 ... *drum roll turkey roll tootsie roll and forward roll* ... and the person who ROCKED Final Jeopardy's Week 32 is none other than the brilliant player more commonly known as@Grundoon59. Grundoon59 not only ruled this week with the top score of 5 plus 2, this is Grundoon's THIRD week in a row of perfect fives. And if it weren't for that rotten Week 29 sneaking in there, this would be Grundoon's FOURTH straight week of perfection.

So Grundoon59, here is a trophy sculpted in your likeness as you ROCK the FJ Contest. May we all strive to be more like you. (Donations to buy Grundoon some new clothes are welcome.)

1942634021_hulkgrundoon.jpg.0df04d2797025cc7f14431ac0df11f12.jpg

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

I am deeply appreciative of the honor but accept it with a little sense of foreboding since it would seem that I am due for a mighty crash back to earth any time now. 

Donations toward new clothing are appreciated since I have been enjoying all of the good food at the various tables this season and a few items of apparel may have gotten a little snug. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

Week thirty-three: four out of five! I could not pull the Everglades out of my brain -- the best I could come up with was the Dry Tortugas, but it didn't become a national park until 1992. 

• Love 3