Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

146. Daytime TV Personalities. Accepting a Lifetime Achievement Emmy, he said, “Just take… 10 seconds to think of the people who have helped you become who you are.”:  Instaget
147. 20th Century American History. A biography of him: “In a sweltering, dimly lit cabin, its window shades closed…his first presidential decisions were made.”:... hmmm Johnson was sworn in on an airplane... but that's 1800s and that's 1800s... I think TR was hiking when he learned about McKinley??!?!?   But I don't remember a cabin...oh... airplane cabin!!!! DUH Johnson.   (The entire mental gymnastic event) 
148. Notorious. In 1897 she was accused of a much lesser crime, shoplifting in Rhode Island.: instaget
*149. South America. 2 of the 3 national capitals on the continent whose metro areas have more than 10 million people.  *:  I did this one on TJF and totally missed the category was South America... I'm an idiot. So I didn't get close.  I mean TJF had the category I just didn't bother to read it... I read it ont he LBJ question.   But then I don't htink I would have gotten it if I had seenthe category.
150. American Literature. One edition of this 1930s novella shows a farm within the silhouette of a rabbit.: Of Mice and Men pretty instaget.

4/5 no *

• Love 2

5/5 with one *.  I did exactly the same thing @bybrandy did for the Tuesday response trying to remember where the heck TR was when McKinley was assassinated but then a mental picture of LBJ flashed through my brain just in time.  

I am very shaky on South American geography so my answer was not anything more than a lucky guess but I hit on Bogota right away (no real idea why and might not have spelled it correctly though) and then heard Evita in my head and added Buenos Aries.

Monday and Wednesday were instagets.  Friday took a second but the novella part of the clue narrowed it down for me and then I flashed on George using the idea of rabbits and the farm to calm Lenny down.  

• Love 4
On 4/6/2021 at 1:31 PM, saber5055 said:

Once again Toot Toot Tuesday has rolled around, and it's my pleasure to shine the FJ Contest spotlight on the Master Contest Player known as PERFECT @M. Darcy, the only player to score a Perfect Five this week. M.Darcy did it twice before, but that was way back in weeks 9 and 16, so to be the only one to top the score in Week 29 was an achievement indeed. Congratulations and use those bragging rights for as long as you wish. You earned it! And you also earned this trophy. Or at least your smarty brain did.

Thanks! I’d like to thank the academy, my family and all of you guys! 

• Love 6
On 4/6/2021 at 1:31 PM, saber5055 said:

Once again Toot Toot Tuesday has rolled around, and it's my pleasure to shine the FJ Contest spotlight on the Master Contest Player known as PERFECT @M. Darcy, the only player to score a Perfect Five this week. M.Darcy did it twice before, but that was way back in weeks 9 and 16, so to be the only one to top the score in Week 29 was an achievement indeed. Congratulations and use those bragging rights for as long as you wish. You earned it! And you also earned this trophy. Or at least your smarty brain did.

Thanks! I’d like to thank the academy, my family and all of you guys! 

3/5 this week. 

• Love 3
On 4/7/2021 at 5:22 PM, saber5055 said:

Hey @PBnJay, I found this story about you!

I'm famous! Although I'm not sure being famous for being edible is good, but I'll take it. Thanks!

5/5 and 1* this week. I almost missed the South American clue, I said Buenos Aires right away, then said Santiago but switched to Bogota instead. Lucky me! lol, I'm famous and lucky this week!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I have totally lost track of the days. I have been straining my brain to remember what yesterday's FJ was.  I've been thinking ALL DAY that it's Tuesday.

Well, good luck on Saturday's FJ. I'm rooting for you!

• LOL 5
56 minutes ago, theartandsound said:

Pathetic showing. PATHETIC!!!!!

But it gets you a seat at the fun table.  (People with other numbers are welcome but they will have to perch.)  Shall we play cancellation hearts or double Monopoly?

• Love 2
6 hours ago, theartandsound said:

Pathetic showing. PATHETIC!!!!!

I guess we bid adieu to the chance for a SEVENTH week of the same score. You had a great run.

Meanwhile, it's time to announce the clear and far away winner of Week 30. Behold, the brilliant player who went from Zero to Hero to reach the pinnacle of glory this week. Let the spotlight shine and shimmer and light up the magnificent player, brainiac of the week, known as @Mindthinkr. Ride the wave of your glory for as long as you like. Or, at least until next Tuesday.

Honorable Mention goes to two players this week: @secnarf, for having identical scores for the past three weeks, that's no easy feat, and @illdoc, for having three weeks of fun scores that read like a countdown to blast off. (Insert your own joke here.)

As a token of appreciation, here's a little something for your trophy wall, Mindthinkr.

1774245425_zeroHerocopy.jpg.7d8d0fb086c9e6287ad2e8516e094f85.jpg

• Love 6

Aww...I’m touched Saber. Thank you. I was literally thinking I had lost my mind. Maybe I did, but it came back when the Dr left. Thank goodness. I was fearful of seeing a real Dr. How do you say to one that the reason you are in the office for the appointment is because you blanked for two weeks on Jeopardy 😂

• LOL 4

While I am pleased at your success @Mindthinkr, I am vaguely disappointed that those of us at the T41 will be going hungry, a better option than me cooking for the table. My cooking is a sure-fire way to lose that pandemic weight!

But glad to know football agrees with you. Just be glad no more doctors are in your future. At least not on Jeopardy. Let's drink a toast to our continued health in the J threads!

• Love 1
18 hours ago, saber5055 said:

and @illdoc, for having three weeks of fun scores that read like a countdown to blast off.

Hopefully, the countdown will not end this week! Or is it "will end"? Which one means "I don't want a 0 (which is the end of the countdown)"?

• LOL 1
7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

My cooking is a sure-fire way to lose that pandemic weight!   (snip)

Just be glad no more doctors are in your future. At least not on Jeopardy.

I would say that about my cooking, too, except GrubHub delivers Fast Food to my house frequently...

Don't forget Dr. Sanjay Gupta. At least, he's a real, respected doctor.

• Love 2

WEEK 31 • April 12, 2021 — ONE asterisk *
150. Olympic Hosts. Aside from the United States, one of the 2 countries with 2 different cities that have hosted the Summer Olympics.
151. Astronomy. As Huygens observed in 1656, a weapon in this constellation contains a nebula, one of a few that can be seen with the naked eye.
152. Shakespeare. With 4,042 lines, it’s Shakespeare’s longest play & it’s also the one that’s been filmed the most.
153. Physics. Modern formulations of Newton’s 2 most famous equations both begin with this quantity that’s measured in Newtons.
 *154. American Names. One of the luminaries who drove in the “Golden Spike” in Utah in 1869 was this man who later founded a university.*

• Love 1

Week thirty-one: two of five, with the asterisk! I only seemed to have luck with the clues that caused everyone else on this site to struggle. 

Astronomy was easy, as my father used to teach the subject, and Orion is one of my favorite constellations. Orion disappears in the summer months (he's there in the daylight). I always welcome him back in the fall.

And the Friday question . . . well, I live near the town named after Collis P. Huntington, one of the directors of the Central Pacific Railroad, the guys building the railroad from California eastward. And I knew that Leland Stanford was one of his fellow tycoons. FYI, Stanford University is not named for the railroad tycoon; it's named for his son, who died of typhoid as a teenager on a European tour.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, j5cochran said:

And the Friday question . . . well, I live near the town named after Collis P. Huntington, one of the directors of the Central Pacific Railroad, the guys building the railroad from California eastward. And I knew that Leland Stanford was one of his fellow tycoons. FYI, Stanford University is not named for the railroad tycoon; it's named for his son, who died of typhoid as a teenager on a European tour.

Having once live in the Bay Area for over 20 years, this was an instaget. I rarely get anything instantly.

I also knew it was named after his son.

Anyway, I doubled my score this week - 2/5*

• Love 2

4/5, 1*.  Monday I named a country that had the Olympics in two different cities, but I'm not interested in sports so I didn't know whether they were summer or winter.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DXD526 said:

2/5 seems so popular this week, I'll go with it, too. 

I know, right? I second that remark. Meaning, twoses for me two too to 2! I doubled my score, saber said proudly.

• Love 4

I don’t know what I got. I had company and couldn’t watch the game. If Fridays answer was Stanford then I got 1 with an *. If that was incorrect then I had another zero week. I’m so glad I was rewarded for my last week. It makes my washout weeks worth it. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
I was just able to edit a mistype.
  • Love 3

I am utterly amazed to say it but 5/5 with one *.

The Olympics, Shakespeare and American Names answers popped into my brain quite easily but science categories do not play to my strengths.  As a Sagittarius, it was my first thought but I didn't remember anything about a nebula regarding it and luckily I got to Orion in time.   

I despaired when Physics was announced as FJ since I managed to avoid having to take it in high school and only have picked up a little about it over the years but I swear there was a similar clue in a crossword puzzle I was doing on line not too long ago so I guessed Newtons with far more confidence than I normally would and was pleasantly surprised to be right.  

• Love 6

12 APR    Ger + Aust        1/1
13 APR    Orion            2/2
14 APR    Hamlet        3/3
15 APR    force            4/4
16 APR    Brigham Young    4/5

4/5, no *.

I'M BACK BABY!!!!! 🤪

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Good Queen Jane said:

3/5, no *, although Stanford did cross my mind but the writers distracted me by putting "Utah" in the clue.

Utah probably fucked with so many people's minds with that clue. Writers, we hate you... 😜

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

3/5, no *, although Stanford did cross my mind but the writers distracted me by putting "Utah" in the clue.

You know, I wondered why so many people went the Brigham Young route - I didn't even notice Utah, since I knew immediately it was Stanford. Now I understand.

• Love 2

It's still Toot Toot Tuesday. I mean Twosday because this week we once again celebrate TWO winners in a Big Five OH OH OH week, the second one this season. Our two winners are OH OH OH @opus and Five Time Favorite @Browncoat who share the honors this week. To commemorate this Five OH special award, here is your very special FIVE OH medallion keepsake. Wear it well and wear it proudly you TWO TOO 2.

373618710_five-0copy.jpg.01c8dbed3f3f0875a72ac8b5f5aa0472.jpg

• Love 9