Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

(edited)

1/5

(Might have pulled out a 2/5 if I hadn't got bored going through the alphabet somewhere around L)

Edited by opus
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, opus said:

(Might have pulled out a 2/5 if I hadn't got bored going through the alphabet somewhere around L)

I hear ya. I only got in A B C D ... before I said eh, let's see what's in the fridge to eat.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

WEEK 33 • April 26, 2021 — NO asterisk
161. City Origin Stories. The mythical founder Byzas consulted the Oracle of Delphi before establishing what’s now known as this city.
162. U.S. National Parks. This subtropical region is a biosphere reserve, a UNESCO World Heritage Site &, as of 1947, a National Park.
163. Hollywood Legends. This director was quoted as saying, “I believe I can take any 60 pages of the Bible and make a great picture.”
164. Odd Words. A homophone of a letter in the alphabet, this 5-letter word sounds the same if you remove its last 4 vowels.
165. Books & Authors. In books by him, the Kingdom of Noland, ruled by an orphan named Bud, borders a country called Ix, where Queen Zixi reigns.

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, Driad said:

Trying to think of refreshments (a fifth of something?) and games.  Hoping others will join me, otherwise it's solitaire.

Since Jeopardy taught us a fifth is 750 ml, your contribution to T5 will be easier to muster up. Maybe I can sneak by with my beggar's cup in hand for a sample?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Driad said:

5/5.  Trying to think of refreshments (a fifth of something?) and games.  Hoping others will join me, otherwise it's solitaire.

Not wanting to deny you your well deserved reward, but shouldn’t the 1/5 people be the ones who get a fifth of something? 

• LOL 5
40 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

shouldn’t the 1/5 people be the ones who get a fifth of something? 

Sure, I'll bring enough for everyone to enjoy while I prepare a 5 ingredient dish.

• Love 3

5/5. maybe it’s my vaccination that has me on this role. It probably is just that there haven’t been biblical or English royalty questions in final jeopardy in weeks if not months! 

• Love 5
On 4/30/2021 at 7:10 PM, j5cochran said:

Week thirty-three: four out of five! I could not pull the Everglades out of my brain -- the best I could come up with was the Dry Tortugas, but it didn't become a national park until 1992. 

I only know about the Dry Tortugas because of a Nevada Barr novel.

22 hours ago, opus said:

1/5

I didn't get bored, but I did run it quickly because I didn't think of doing that in the first place. D'oh!

13 hours ago, Driad said:

Sure, I'll bring enough for everyone to enjoy while I prepare a 5 ingredient dish.

How about some lemon pudding cake for dessert?

• Love 3
(edited)

Oh yeah, I forgot. 1/5

The other day I watched old Jeopardy episodes on Netflix during my exercise. I must say, I'm either sharper first thing in the morning (literally just out of bed), or the questions were easier. It felt like I was sharper. Which makes sense, I am a morning person.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2

4/5 this week - I totally misheard/misread Thursday's clue and by the time my brain translated it, the thinking music was over.  It was a major Duh moment when the answer was revealed.  

Trying to make my Monday morning mind think of a beverage contribution to the table, maybe Sangria?

• Love 3

5/5 this week. I first thought Dahl for Friday so made a lucky change there to Baum. After this weekend, I could use a whole fifth of something refreshing. Count me in!

• Love 5
12 hours ago, theartandsound said:

I just watched a new PBS doc on L. Frank Baum

I will have to look for that. I no longer get PBS via my antenna but maybe it's online somewhere.

Interestingly, there are FIVE FIVE scores this week. How much "drink" is five fifths?

I can see the winner of this week so will be back with the announcement that y'all are waiting for. Go ahead and start on the hors d'oeuvre, AH'll be baaahck.

Meanwhile, May the 4th be with you.

• Love 3

It's still Tuesday although today it's spelled TWOSday because we have two outstanding Contest Winners this week. These two don't even sit next to each other yet they've posted identical scores for the last three weeks. And not only that, the numbers keep increasing each week so that next week both scores must be FIVES! as these two continue to REACH FOR THE STARS.

So to honor @j5cochran and @Prevailing Wind, our two contest players who are reaching for the stars, here is your personalized trophy, engraved with your names and your scores. Go ahead and reach for those stars, baby! See you both at the T45 next week!

reach-for-the-stars-award-001.jpg.e9f96d2a0a5b1a42b1e695a9d36ecfc5.jpg

• Love 6
(edited)

I'm beyond thrilled -- I love the trophy! And I promise that @Prevailing Wind and I have not been copying from one another!

(But I'm afraid I won't make it to the Table for Five for next week - I missed today's book. 😥 )

Edited by j5cochran
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

(But I'm afraid I won't make it to the Table for Five for next week - I missed today's book. 😥 )

I could loan you my book ... it's the correct one ...

• LOL 3

Congratulations @j5cochran and @Prevailing Wind - I am proud to share the T44 with you and the menu this week sounds delish - My Sangria recipe doesn't quite meet the 4 ingredient requirement (it has 8) but I still going to claim it is appropriate because we have two weekly Champions at the table and that is just 4 ingredients per Champion!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I am SO honored! I, too, will not be advancing to 5/5, as I couldn't come up with Gulag to save my life.  We're still having Petit Fours & Four-Cheese Lasagna at the T44, right?

Plus @Grundoon59's 2X4 Sangria. We may have problems coming up with the right questions for the rest of the week....

• LOL 6

Also 3/5.  Got Monday and Tuesday, building up hubris, then missed Wednesday and Thursday but crawled back up Friday.  (One Halloween I was Lady Scottishplay, complete with bloody gloves.)

• Love 6
(edited)
18 hours ago, Browncoat said:

2/5 this week, assuming I would have been ruled correct on Friday's FJ. 

Friday's answer was King James (James I of England, James VI of Scotland). Being half Scottish, I got it easily with a little help from Diana Gabaldon and those Jacobites.

Just assuming you said James VI for Friday. If you said George or King Mike, then no extra point for you. Let me know for sure.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

WEEK 34 • May 3, 2021 — ONE asterisk *
166. 19th Century Americans. His book “An Overland Journey from New York to San Francisco in the Summer of 1859” shows he heeded his own famous advice.
167. World Literature. This 1970s memoir told of harsh places that metaphorically were like an island chain “from the Bering Strait almost to the Bosporus.”
168. Classic Albums. The title of this huge hit 1977 album was the idea of the bass player, who specified it should be spelled the British way.
*169. Countries' National Anthems. With words written by a Bishop of Urgell, its anthem praises Charlemagne & says it “was born a princess…between two nations.”  *
170. Shakespeare & History. Macbeth has a vision of a line of 8 Scottish kings, the 8th holding a mirror to reflect this 9th in line who may have been in the audience.

5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Just assuming you said James IV for Friday. If you said George or King Mike, then no extra point for you. Let me know for sure.

I said James VI.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

1/5. I always get right clues about James VI/I for some reason.

It was a miserable week that is finally over, and I watched all the episodes back to back Saturday morning. I wonder if that makes a difference.

• Love 1