Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

There seems to be some curse that has loomed over me during Dr Oz’s residency in the hosting spot.

Hopefully, the coming week will be kinder to you with a Happy Cheesehead Host. Unless you are a Bears fan, then you are doomed once again.

Me, I am comfortably back at the T41.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

Joining in with the very popular 2/5 with 1*. I wonder if we all got the same ones?

I got Tuesday's FJ of John Wilkes Booth and Thursday's FJ of Church which was also an *.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, secnarf said:

but with my first asterisk of the season!

Good news/bad news: Not to harsh your mellow,  but I have you down for asterisks in Weeks 4 and 17.

Edited by saber5055
15 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Good news/bad news: Not to harsh your mellow,  but I have you down for asterisks in Weeks 4 and 17.

Seriously??? I have zero recollection of that.

Then again, an hour after watching Jeopardy I typically have forgotten the FJ question and answer, and I need to wait for you to post the week's questions before I can remember which ones I did/didn't get. Memory of a goldfish, over here.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

Seriously??? I have zero recollection of that.

Then again, an hour after watching Jeopardy I typically have forgotten the FJ question and answer, and I need to wait for you to post the week's questions before I can remember which ones I did/didn't get. Memory of a goldfish, over here.

I have trouble remembering too, which is why I usually wait a little to make sure @saber5055 has put them up before I post my score. Occasionally I've been pleasantly surprised. Most often not.

If I'm really motivated, I'll look at J!Archive (https://j-archive.com/) but then I have to look at it day by day.

• Love 3

3/5 with one *.  Started off hot - Mary Poppins was the first movie I ever saw in a theater and a Mary Poppins doll was one of my first memorable Christmas presents plus I actually like the movie Saving Mr. Banks so it all made sense.  For some reasons, Tuesday and Wednesday were instagets.

But then pride goes before a fall and I got lost in the wording of the question on Thursday in addition to trying to remember what antidisestablishmentarianism meant so I didn't even formulate an answer.  On Friday Angel made sense as an answer but I talked myself out of it because I didn't realize it was named after a person much less an aviator.  

• Love 4

To make some of you players feel better ... I didn't even know Mary Poppins was a book. Monday = fail.

Tuesday = I actually answered that one right away. Yeay me, back at the T41!

Wednesday = What, that's a freaking LOGO? But again, who knew Glaser ran Push Pin Studio. Extra credit doesn't count, so sad.

Thursday = I thought antidisestablishmentarianism was some fake-o word like supercalifragilisticexpialidocious -- shout out to Monday's clue! so I pulled Nazi out of the air, even though that was a decade later. At least I wrote down something for everyone to make fun of.

Friday = What? WHO? There was a Jimmie Angel? Who knew. Maybe his brother Johnny did. ("Johnny Angel, how I love him He's got something that I can't resist ...")

And that should make everyone's day a bit brighter. Happy Easter to everyone who observes that. Happy Sunday to everyone else.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

3/5 with 1*

1) Knew it was Mary Poppins right off and rembmered P L Travers name which is more surprisging.   
2) John Wilkes Booth was a from a family of famous thespians so I figured it was him.   Random aside: I interned at a museum in Waxhaw NC in college.  Andrew Jackson was born in the Waxhaws but there is some argument about if it was in North or South Carolina.  Both clain him.  And I spent many, many, many summer days telling patrons this and that Andrew Jackson's father's body was lost on the way to the burial site when his pallbearners had a bit too much to drink and failed to notice the coffin had fallen off the cart.  They had to backtrack to find him.   These are the only two things I remember from my time interning at the museum of the Waxhaws.   /randomaside
3) I ❤️ NY instaget

4) Did not get this. 
5) I thought of Angel Falls but I didn't realize it was named after a guy...  SIgh.   

• Love 7
8 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Andrew Jackson's father's body was lost on the way to the burial site when his pallbearers had a bit too much to drink and failed to notice the coffin had fallen off the cart.

Don't hate me that this made me laugh. More than once.

Excellent story, @bybrandy. Thanks.

• Love 2

Week twenty-nine: three of five with an asterisk! When I was a kid (lo, these many years ago...), I had a fascination with the word antidisestablishmentarianism. It was at one time considered to be the longest word in the English language, so I remember looking it up to see what the heck it meant and why on earth anyone would ever need a word so long. All I remember now is that it had to do with getting rid of an established or state church, but I still can't remember if that concept is intended to be for or against the church!

• Love 3
(edited)
38 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

getting rid of an established or state church, but I still can't remember if that concept is intended to be for or against the church!

I think it's more to do with separating the church from the state so religion plays no part in politics.

I could be wrong.

Edited by Trey
46 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

Week twenty-nine: three of five with an asterisk! When I was a kid (lo, these many years ago...), I had a fascination with the word antidisestablishmentarianism. It was at one time considered to be the longest word in the English language, so I remember looking it up to see what the heck it meant and why on earth anyone would ever need a word so long. All I remember now is that it had to do with getting rid of an established or state church, but I still can't remember if that concept is intended to be for or against the church!

I did the same thing. My son laughed when I told him because at 14 I don’t think he’s ever looked up anything in an actual dictionary. I guess at one point I thought my parents may as well have learned to tell time using a sundial!

4/5 w/one * As usual Thursday was my downfall. I was thinking of a company logo & came up with NYSE. Friday was a lucky guess that I figured was wrong because I thought the falls were named for Gabriel & co. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Once again Toot Toot Tuesday has rolled around, and it's my pleasure to shine the FJ Contest spotlight on the Master Contest Player known as PERFECT @M. Darcy, the only player to score a Perfect Five this week. M.Darcy did it twice before, but that was way back in weeks 9 and 16, so to be the only one to top the score in Week 29 was an achievement indeed. Congratulations and use those bragging rights for as long as you wish. You earned it! And you also earned this trophy. Or at least your smarty brain did!

(Honorable mention goes to @theartandsound for an amazing consecutive SIX WEEKS, yes SIX WEEKS ! in a row of the same score. Outstanding -- if not mind boggling!)

475871672_no1trophy.jpg.01a1c18a7e15e38a870439fdc230a406.jpg

• Love 7
On 4/5/2021 at 10:59 AM, saber5055 said:

Don't hate me that this made me laugh. More than once.

Excellent story, @bybrandy. Thanks.

This is why I told this story to everybody who came to visit me at the Museum of the Waxhaws.   🙂  It is a fun story... you know... if it isn't your loved one or you aren't the drunk guys going, "oh no we've lost the coffin... do you think anybody will notice if we turn up without it?  Hmmm.  Yeah..  Probably.  Maybe we should find it.  But it is dark and cold.  Maybe another nip?  Wait, what were we doing again?"  (At least I assume it went something like that)

• LOL 5
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I guess I have to thank John Steinbeck for keeping me from the Table For One

I'm taking that as a personal affront, what with me continuing to occupy my well-worn seat at the head of the T41. Way to hurt my feelings ... *sad face*

• Love 1

Week thirty: four of five, no asterisks. South American geography gets me again. I got Buenos Aires, and then came to a full stop, trying desperately to think of capitols of any other South American countries. Don't cry for me!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

WEEK 30 • April 5, 2021 — ONE asterisk *
146. Daytime TV Personalities.
Accepting a Lifetime Achievement Emmy, he said, “Just take… 10 seconds to think of the people who have helped you become who you are.” 
147. 20th Century American History. A biography of him: “In a sweltering, dimly lit cabin, its window shades closed…his first presidential decisions were made.”
148. Notorious. In 1897 she was accused of a much lesser crime, shoplifting in Rhode Island.n
*149. South America. 2 of the 3 national capitals on the continent whose metro areas have more than 10 million people.  *
150. American Literature.
One edition of this 1930s novella shows a farm within the silhouette of a rabbit.

Edited by saber5055
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

2/5 this week.  I guess I have to thank John Steinbeck for keeping me from the Table For One, although I really dislike everything of his that I've read.

Ironically, Steinbeck's my favorite literary author, and I missed it. So I'm at the Table for One, 1.5

10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'm taking that as a personal affront, what with me continuing to occupy my well-worn seat at the head of the T41. Way to hurt my feelings ... *sad face*

Hey, I'm there with you and @Trey, so you've got good company. 🙂

• Love 3
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'm sorry!  I didn't mean anything personal by it, I swear!  Unless you take my dislike of Steinbeck personally -- I can't help that.  🙂  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I'm sorry!  I didn't mean anything personal by it, I swear!  Unless you take my dislike of Steinbeck personally -- I can't help that.  🙂  

People like what they like, and hate what they hate. Some of my favorite people love Hemingway - and I feel about him the way you do Steinbeck.

PS - not that I'm sure, but I think @saber5055 was referring to our Table for One.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1

5/5 *
Surprisingly the geography question was an instaget. I almost missed the LBJ question because my mind went to log cabin & Linclon, but remembered the category was 20th century history and thankfully came up with plane cabin & LBJ in time. 

• Love 5