Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I hate Phantom so much I totally ignored its existence as a standard on Broadway. Came up with a second one I also don't like, but knew it was long lived - The Music Man.

I never saw Phantom until this summer and then only because they put a bunch of ALW shows on youtube for free (one each weekend; available 48 for hours only), on a channel called The Shows Must Go On (with links to donate to the Actor's Fund and some other charities). I think they did an encore showing later on but I have no desire to watch it again. (They also had the sequel which was even worse.)

• Love 1

There have been a lot of William the Conqueror clues lately. Not that I mind because he is my ancestor. I came up with dirt, flare up and guessed A Chorus Line for FJ. I have seen Phantom and it ran through my mind, but I couldn’t remember that actor at all. 

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I have seen Phantom and it ran through my mind, but I couldn’t remember that actor at all. 

I would say he is not a "name."  I mean, he certainly is more than any of us are, but he wouldn't go above the title on the posters, put it that way.  Anyone who got it from that alone is really good in Broadway.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, lambertman said:

I got Phantom, but did so through flawed thinking; my brain saw “lead role” and conflated it with “title role”, which was true here but not always , of course. 

My brain may have kind of done the same thing; Phantom popped into my head immediately, so I didn't go through a deliberate thought process, but I think the subconscious rephrasing was basically to "what's a long-running, popular play (so there could be so many different Broadway performances of it) about a guy?" and maybe, for it to come to me so quickly (because it's certainly not a fact I knew; I am not anywhere near that well versed in musical theater), "about a guy" equated to him being in the title.

39 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Argh. Sports are preempting Jeopardy this evening.

Your station doesn't have a sibling station?  You might want to click around to see if it is on another station.  My local station is airing Jeopardy tonight on the "other" station they usually use for sitcom reruns.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Driad said:

Your station doesn't have a sibling station?  You might want to click around to see if it is on another station.  My local station is airing Jeopardy tonight on the "other" station they usually use for sitcom reruns.

No. Not since I moved to Rochester. Possibly if I switch my Internet provider to the one that includes cable, but my son-in-law said it's not so reliable, and I don't know if that would help since I think the affiliate stations are mostly Over The Air, right? The OTA stations aren't as plentiful here in Rochester as in the suburbs of Chicago. 

The contestant interviews are going on way too long lately.

I ran cold stuff and the Human Body, missed only one each in History and Honorary Knights, got only one DD (adrenal, which the player missed), no TS, zero baseball hall of fame. My second-worst game of the week. 😒

FJ was instaget, so I've got that going for me.

I was rooting for Jilana. Nick was annoying.

I like Katie's dress.

• Love 1

FJ was an instaget.  Didn't even question myself.

I got the ts of Babe Ruth, carpenter and hunter.

I got the entire categories of American history and Bibles jobs right and the entire category of play in wrong.

Oddly enough I only missed one baseball q.  that surprised me.

• Love 1

I had to find Jeopardy! on the sister station tonight, too.  Stupid basketball.

FJ was an instaget for me tonight.  I am glad to have a new champ even if it is Nick.  Morgan was starting to bug me.  I was rooting for Jiliana, though.

I got Lost In Yonkers about the same time Nick did, so I'm not going to count it as a get for me.  That was the only one I got that they didn't.  Clearly I would need to brush up on the Bible (along with about 40 million other things) if I ever wanted to go on the show.

• Love 1

“In 1791 this man beat Philip Schuyler, Alexander Hamilton's father-in-law, for a New York Senate seat”.  Katie, you don’t need to be from New York to know this, you just need to have watched/listened to the soundtrack of Hamilton multiple times.

Sir. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

“In 1791 this man beat Philip Schuyler, Alexander Hamilton's father-in-law, for a New York Senate seat”.  Katie, you don’t need to be from New York to know this, you just need to have watched/listened to the soundtrack of Hamilton multiple times.

Sir. 

I hope future hosts will refrain from suggesting players should get every question about where they are from. A. It's annoying and B. It's silly. I don't expect to know everything about the history of New Jersey just because I grew up here.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

Sigh. Between the new champ and Dr Oz, Monday’s show will be annoying to watch. 

I HATE Dr Oz but it’s not fair to the contestants not to watch.

Imagine you are finally a contestant on Jeopardy after years of trying, and when, at long last, it is your turn....Dr Oz is the host.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Sigh. Between the new champ and Dr Oz, Monday’s show will be annoying to watch. 

I HATE Dr Oz but it’s not fair to the contestants not to watch.

I hate him, too...but I just have to remind myself that I watch for the game, not the host.

• Love 4

Everyone who said "Aaron Burr" as if they had a mouth full of peanut butter, raise your hand.

I can't believe no one got carpenter.  Even I know that one!  (In fact, if you'd just asked me to name jobs that biblical characters hold, I'd have said, "Carpenter. Um ... oh, shepherds!  And probably some fisherman."  So those were the three I got.)  The Babe Ruth TS kind of surprised me, too, in that no one even tossed him out there as a guess; maybe no one wanted to risk $1000 on a guess that early in the game.

In the first round, I only missed three, but quite a few of my gets were lucky guesses. 

In DJ, I ran the plays, ends in a first name, knights, and human body categories.  I almost ran lakes, but missed one.  I missed three in games.

FJ was an instaget (and I thought too easy for a FJ clue), so a great game for me all around.

• Love 6

I'm not looking forward to the next host either, but I share the perspective that I will tune in for the game most of all.  Does anyone know much about his charity, HealthCorps?  Its mission is health education and peer mentoring, especially in underserved communities, which is of course worthwhile.  My first reaction was that it seemed perhaps to be bit of a vanity project, but it has a fair score from the people who evaluate good governance in charities and seems to do legitimate work.  I think I just need to get over it so I can root for them the way I did for cancer research.

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I pre-guessed "carpenter" for the jobs in the Bible category, thinking it was too obvious to even be a correct response. Evidently not.

I did the same, having forgotten the "jobs" part of the category.  I thought It was really "prophet" or something but couldn't get there and wanted something to say.  "Nimrod the hunter" was fairly obscure, I thought.  I sure didn't get that one.

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I hope future hosts will refrain from suggesting players should get every question about where they are from. A. It's annoying and B. It's silly. I don't expect to know everything about the history of New Jersey just because I grew up here.

When it was "To Kill a Mockingbird," Katie said, "yes, you should know that as a teacher."  I don't remember what he taught, but it wasn't literature, so should he?  I rolled my eyes every time she said these things.  It was the only thing she did more than once over the fortnight that annoyed me.  The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that some consultant told her focus groups found her disconnected and recommended a method to show she was really dialed-in and remembered their work or hometown, or something.  I have no issue with her, and think she did well overall, but this didn't work for me.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Sir. 

Same! I’m also from New York and the only reason I knew that answer was because of Hamilton. It seems to me that’s why that was only a 200 clue, because the audience would be familiar with the musical.

🎶Schuyler’s seat was up for grabs, so I took it.🎶

FJ was way too easy. That felt like a leftover clue from Kids Jeopardy.

• Love 3

Nick's miss of Babe Ruth in the Baseball HOF category is easily explained. The clue said, "Greatest drawing card in history of baseball" and he guessed Honus Wagner, the most valuable (expensive) Baseball trading card in history!

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Everyone who said "Aaron Burr" as if they had a mouth full of peanut butter, raise your hand.

Is there any other way to say it? I wonder if there are other groups of people that recall a "Got Milk?" ad as much as the Aaron Burr folks?  The fact that he comes up so often in J! is a constant reminder for us to keep it alive, but I wonder about the other "Got Milk?" ads... 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Did anyone else roll their eyes at Katie's remark to Morgan during the interviews, "The breadth of your knowledge is so deep"?

My only ts was Babe Ruth.  It hasn't been a good week for me at all so I was pleased to finally get FJ, even if it was such an easy one.

23 minutes ago, Trey said:

Did anyone else roll their eyes at Katie's remark to Morgan during the interviews, "The breadth of your knowledge is so deep"?

I wonder if the depth of her knowledge is also broad...

• LOL 5
14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

No. Not since I moved to Rochester. Possibly if I switch my Internet provider to the one that includes cable, but my son-in-law said it's not so reliable, and I don't know if that would help since I think the affiliate stations are mostly Over The Air, right? The OTA stations aren't as plentiful here in Rochester as in the suburbs of Chicago. 

This is late for this week but might help in the future. I just left Rochester after several years but I learned they usually show preempted J! episodes in the middle of the night around 4:30 or so. My DVR would catch it, but it's not simulcast anywhere I know of. Hope this helps for future sports preemptions!

I watched the whole week in a bunch, and I liked Morgan. I hoped she would go further. Phantom was instant for me, but I kept the king other musicals just in case. Chicago I spent a bit of time on since there is a male lead and Chicago has also run forever with a frequently changing cast.

13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Sir. 

Yep. I immediately knew it was Burr. My history buff husband didn't and was surprised. "Hamilton" is all I said to him.

10 hours ago, 853fisher said:

"Nimrod the hunter" was fairly obscure, I thought.  I sure didn't get that one.

I got them all except Nimrod - who I didn't know much about, but I got stuck on the modern use of his name.

I ran Get 'Em While They're Cold and The Human Body. And finally, finally, got FJ. It was pretty easy - but not quite an instaget.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Gimmick Genius said:

Nick's miss of Babe Ruth in the Baseball HOF category is easily explained. The clue said, "Greatest drawing card in history of baseball" and he guessed Honus Wagner, the most valuable (expensive) Baseball trading card in history!

Yep, I mistakenly zeroed in on "card" and said Honus Wagner. 

• Love 1
On 3/19/2021 at 8:07 PM, secnarf said:

Imagine you are finally a contestant on Jeopardy after years of trying, and when, at long last, it is your turn....Dr Oz is the host.

Jerry, just kill me now.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On ‎03‎/‎18‎/‎2021 at 5:48 PM, 853fisher said:

Sting was in no hurry to read those clues, was he?  I do appreciate the way the show puts these guest categories together, so they will still be of interest even if you don't really know that individual celebrity.  I certainly know of him and The Police, and have probably heard more of their music than I know, but it's not anything I've sought out.  I still got 4/5, although showing a picture of Margaret Thatcher and asking who it is was pretty easy for $800.  That little tag at the end was cute.

Back in the day (circa 1980-something) I had a major crush on Sting and adored The Police, so I completely crushed that category.

On ‎03‎/‎18‎/‎2021 at 8:00 PM, Katy M said:

I knew I was toast when I saw the FJ category.  I said Guys and Dolls.

I'm hit or miss on Broadway as a category.  I said Fiddler on the Roof.

On ‎03‎/‎18‎/‎2021 at 10:28 PM, Bastet said:

The old-fashioned TS was surprising; not that no one remembered it

I totally remember those commercials.  I responded to the clue the same way I did to the commercials ("by inheriting it").

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On ‎03‎/‎19‎/‎2021 at 8:18 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Sir. 

Eh, I have no interest in Hamilton at all, but I just figured there'd be some irony to Burr beating out Hamilton's father-in-law in an election.  I was briefly confused because I though Burr was from the South, but then I realized it was his daughter marrying into one of South Carolina's most prominent families that was getting in the way.  Poor Theodosia wasn't even 30 when her ship was lost at sea.

On ‎03‎/‎19‎/‎2021 at 10:22 PM, Kimmmmmm said:

I hate him, too...but I just have to remind myself that I watch for the game, not the host.

I hate him enough that I probably won't watch.

• Love 1

Hey current Jeopardy watchers wave.gif

Sports is preempting Jeopardy here in Rochester again tonight, but I found some instructions online that are supposed to allow me to use my CBS All Access/Paramount+ login on my browser to watch if I set the geolocation to a place where it is not being preempted. 
So, are any of you watching on CBS somewhere where it's not preempted tonight? Or maybe it doesn't matter if you're watching on ABC; I'm not sure. I would just like a city to try because, you know, I'm a nerd.

Edited by shapeshifter
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Eh, I have no interest in Hamilton at all, but I just figured there'd be some irony to Burr beating out Hamilton's father-in-law in an election.  I was briefly confused because I though Burr was from the South, but then I realized it was his daughter marrying into one of South Carolina's most prominent families that was getting in the way.  Poor Theodosia wasn't even 30 when her ship was lost at sea.

Coincidentally, as I was reading this I had this video about the Bermuda Triangle playing down in the corner of my screen, and he starts with the story of Theodosia.

56 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

So, are any of you watching on CBS somewhere where it's not preempted tonight? Or maybe it doesn't matter if you're watching on ABC; I'm not sure. I would just like a city to try because, you know, I'm a nerd.

I watch on ABC out of NYC; no sports here, at least according to my channel guide.

• Love 1

No joy in Final for me.  I couldn't shake some variation on "toil and trouble," even though I knew Macbeth wasn't one of the history plays.  I had never heard that term used for labor strife and just don't think I would've gotten there in 100 years.

The "Magic Mirror of a Dutch artist who did optical effects" clue made me think of Vermeer, who some art historians believe used a camera obscura device.  I was shouting "Vermeer" in my mind.  It never does pay to be a smartass.

I thought Oz was fine, nothing special.  The sun could shine out of his ears and I probably still wouldn't be much impressed, but he was tolerable for half an hour.  Perhaps pettily, I did wonder whether he and Alex really were close.  Mike Richards says they were.  I'm surprised.

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Eh, I have no interest in Hamilton at all, but I just figured there'd be some irony to Burr beating out Hamilton's father-in-law in an election.

I also thought the answer seemed obvious without referring to the musical.  It wasn't on my mind.  I've heard most of the soundtrack and it's not to my taste, although I admire Miranda and think anything to attract people to history or theater in novel ways is a good thing.

• Love 4

I don't like Dr. Oz on principle, but objectively speaking, I guess he's not a terrible game show host. (Is he also here for two weeks?)
Nick didn't annoy me as much as he did on Friday (which does not mean I was rooting for him). New champ is fine.
They should have had to give the initials in Initially Yours. Only one did.
TS: mimicry, tween, UGG, Andy Warhol, Kool & the Gang, Tampa Bay.
The only category I ran was Egg (and 4/5 in Animals and Sleepytime). My only DD was Gutenberg. And no FJ.
I said astray instead of awry. I wonder if they would have accepted that. Thesaurus.com gives them as synonyms for each other. (Even if I count that point, it doesn't make my score anything to be proud of. I got just under half right in the second round, and 2/3 in the first.)

1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

No joy in Final for me.  I couldn't shake some variation on "toil and trouble," even though I knew Macbeth wasn't one of the history plays.  I had never heard that term used for labor strife and just don't think I would've gotten there in 100 years.

I had never heard of that either, and I'm not too familiar with the history plays.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I said astray instead of awry. I wonder if they would have accepted that

I believe the clue said "4 letters", so no (to be fair, my first thought was "astray" as well).

• Love 4

For FJ I said double double boil and trouble which sounds like a great name for a strike.  I also considered Friends and Countrymen.

I got the ts of Ugg, 40 winks, mimicry, Kool and the Gang and Andy Warhol (Andy Warhol is always the answer when they ask for a pop artist.  Always.)

I got the entire categories of sleepy time, Hisfory and Initially yours (and I think when that's the category they should have to give the initials) right.  Despite getting 3 whole categories right, I had an off night. 

• Love 1

No idea how I did it, but I did get FJ.  It came to me almost immediately, then I looked at the dates in the clue again to make sure the labor strife was in the winter.  I think Richard III is one of the few historical Shakespearean plays I know anything about.  I prefer the tragedies and comedies.

I also got the TS of Uggs, (ugh -- I hate those boots), mimicry, combat boots, Bay of Fundy, Tampa Bay, and Kool & The Gang.  I can't believe they all missed Tampa Bay.  

And yes, Oz is there for two weeks.  Each of these celebrity guest hosts will be there for two weeks.  As with Katie, it's going to be a loooooooong two weeks.

• Love 2

I got the TS of GB Shaw, Tween, Fundy & then stopped paying attention...I got sidetracked thinking "if one person guesses wrong and *then* I get it right, while the other two contestants blow it, did I still get a TS?"

I agree the initials should have been required in the initials category.

I don't know enough about Shakespeare to have gotten FJ at all.

• Love 1

I got FJ instantly. “Strife” immediately made me think “discontent” and then I doubled checked to make sure the time fit and yep it was wintertime. I thought that was really easy. 
Andy Warhol being a triple stumper in the $200 clue was stunning.

Dr. Oz seemed fine to me. I liked him better than Katie Couric. I don’t know anything about him so have no idea what problem people have with him. 🤷‍♀️ 

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 2

I don't know anything about Dr. Oz, but I looked up his charity on one of the charity rating sites and it has a good score - just shy of 90%, with 3 (out of 4) stars.  (I already knew from past experience that Katie Couric's is highly rated.)  So maybe at least J!'s money is going to a decent charity, whatever other crap he's involved with (I haven't looked that up, I just know a lot of posters here don't like him).  He seems like he'll do fine as a guest host.

The combat boots TS surprised me; that was very much a $200 clue.  There were several others I'd have predicted someone would get (tween, Tampa Bay, Ugg), but that was a real doozy.

George Bernard Shaw as a TS didn't surprise me, but that two contestants guessed German writers - one of which wasn't even a playwright - did.

The two R&B TS didn't surprise me, either, but did bum me out a little.  (I laughed that at least two of them had duh, of course reactions when Oz revealed the Kool & the Gang answer.)

They just ignored that Oz accepted "Holy Roman Empire" (instead of "Emperor").  I know Nick corrected himself right afterward, but if Oz had ruled correctly, he wouldn't have had time to.

I only missed four in the first round (and it probably would have been three if I'd have time to get farther than "something-a-gotchi" before the contestant answered tamagotchi).

In DJ, I ran R&B, bays, and A-Y, but only got two in artists.  At least other than those three, I only had two other scattered misses.

I can't quite believe it, but I came up with FJ.  I had no idea, so I looked for clues within the clue, and when I got to the months I thought "The Something Winter?"  That didn't trigger anything in terms of a labor situation or a Shakespeare play.  But then I thought of "the winter of our discontent".  I didn't remember a labor action being called that, but I certainly didn't have any other guesses and it fit, so I went with it.

I highly doubt all that would have worked under game conditions, though.

• Love 4