Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

31 minutes ago, Miss Anne Thrope said:

It comes up in a lot of trivia contests that Cher has had #1 hits in each of the past six decades - I might not have it down perfectly, but I think that's it -- so perhaps if nothing else came to him, he hoped one of her hits might have hung around on the charts for a few years. Just a thought.

Though the category was "American Rock Bands," definitely not a solo act, so yeah -- his answer should have been definitely not Cher.

That was his answer for the $200 Donna Summer clue, not FJ.

On 3/5/2021 at 5:00 PM, Katy M said:

I got the entiere categories of text and Army and the partial category of Navy right and the entire category of Ryan Gosling wrong.  I don't know the difference between Ryan Gosling and Ryan Reynolds.  Shh.  Don't tell them. Wouldn't want to hurt their feelings.

I can finally tell them apart - after years of confusing them. It's a mystery to me why Gosling's considered the hot one.

On 3/5/2021 at 7:12 PM, BuckeyeLou said:

Me also....Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer",  and all I know about the Ryans is that Ryan Reynolds is married to Blake Lively.

Blake Lively is one of the young actresses I couldn't tell apart in a lineup.

On 3/5/2021 at 9:48 PM, Cotypubby said:

I didn’t have a clue for FJ. All I could think was “It’s not Queen, stop thinking Queen, they’re not American, think of something else!” And then couldn’t get “We Are the Champions” out of my head. 😆 

I said Queen too, to which the husband replied "and you would be wrong - they're not American." D'oh!

On 3/6/2021 at 5:10 AM, blueray said:

Finally Jeopardy I was like Queen? I knew that couldn't be the answer but it kept popping in my head anyway. They did just have a movie a year or so before that. More then Journey, why would anyone buy their CD now? 

That was my reasoning for Queen. I'm thinking it's because Journey was inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame in 2017 (had to look that up).

23 hours ago, Trey said:

A good game for me.  I got the ts's of unicorn fish (don't know why no one even guessed at that one), Baltic Sea, and Jesse James.  I knew Jonathon Livingstone Seagull but garbled it like the contestant did.

Trouble was, instead of seeing a "horn" I saw what looked like a bird's beak - which was so close to the eye it looked to me like the fish had two faces. So I said something along the line of bird fish (I forget).

21 hours ago, stonehaven said:

Final Jeopardy was an instaget for me. If anyone ever listens to Pandora or even terrestial radio, Journey is quite the staple with 'Believin'" being on heavy rotation. Our local oldies stations cuts out after the the fourth "Don't Stop Believing" which I find insane as that's the part everyone waits for..but I digress...

I guess I listen to the wrong Pandora channels. 😄

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Army brat! I was an answer!  I said Bon Jovi because it was the only band I could think of. 

You and me both! Though since my father left the Army  and joined the Air Force, I say "military brat" most of the time. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

You and me both! Though since my father left the Army  and joined the Air Force, I say "military brat" most of the time. 

"Army brat"  was instaget for me too because my ex (and father of 2 of my 3) was born in Japan and reared on bases on both coasts of the States as well as Germany --even though his father was Air Force.

• Love 2

When I saw the Marine Biology category I was holding out hope that we'd get a George Costanza question.  

I like the new champion but I think rock & roll Jeopardy would not be her thing.  Twisted Sister wasn't the strongest guess.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Mean Machine said:

I like the new champion but I think rock & roll Jeopardy would not be her thing.  Twisted Sister wasn't the strongest guess.

Probably not, but maybe she just knew she didn't know it so wrote her favorite band down.  Or maybe she was planning on having a tantrum and singing We're Not Going to Take it if she lost:)

• LOL 5
On 3/6/2021 at 11:41 AM, stonehaven said:

Final Jeopardy was an instaget for me. If anyone ever listens to Pandora or even terrestial radio, Journey is quite the staple with 'Believin'" being on heavy rotation. Our local oldies stations cuts out after the the fourth "Don't Stop Believing" which I find insane as that's the part everyone waits for..but I digress...

Is that where the Sopranos cut the song off? Just wondering if they do it purposely for that reason. LOL

I am neither a lover nor a hater of Katie Couric (just call me Switzerland); however, I'm looking forward to seeing - for the first time? - a female host for J! Afterall, it's international women's day, if you follow that sort of thing.

I think every day should be is Women's Day, and every day is Valentine's Day if I'm being truthful. (If I love you, I have no hesitancy expressing that. I now have my entire family saying "I love you" instead of "goodbye" at the end of a conversation. It's sweet and it eliminates any possible regret of wishing our last words were different.)

We've lived in a Man's Day world for a really long time, and look where that's got us! Carlos Santana told me in person that it's up to us women to fix what the men have royally screwed. True story.

p.s. I love men. Can't live without them and my grandsons are my faves. I simply want women to take a stand and BE everything they're blessed to be! e.g., look at several countries being led by women (NZ, Germany, etc.) and their relative 'success'. I choose to support women rather than tearing them down. I also love a good snark, and women in the public eye must know that's the downside of their fame.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

FJ couldn't've been more up my street.  Radio history, 1949-11=1938, mass panic, got it.  I had never heard of a similar broadcast in Ecuador, but apparently there was a momentous one in Chile too.  The American one made quite clear it was fiction, but historians think a break in a competitor's show that night dropped listeners who changed stations in at just the right place to miss all those announcements.  It seems the later South American producers were less forthright.  Apparently six were killed at the station in Quito when listeners angry at having been hoaxed set it on fire.  What a terrible story.

I had "piece of cake" instead of "cakewalk," which I think would be fine.  I thought "Pan-Cake" was tough because, while Noxell does have that trademark, I think of "pancake makeup" as a generic descriptor.

I understand that she isn't well liked by everyone (I know little about her myself), but I thought Katie did well.  There was definitely less hesitation after response than with Mike, she used different phrases throughout, and her opening and closing remarks were right on the money for me, not too long or short or overwrought.  Her reading was fine, although she didn't always put a verbal comma where I thought it might belong, and I've never heard "MARE-sea-side."  I found her a bit stiff in the interviews, which surprised me given her "Today" background.  She asked good followup questions, but there has to be a better way to conclude things than "awwwwww," which seems insincere to me no matter who is awwing.  "You brainiacs" was laying it on way too thick for sure.  But I can definitely do two weeks.

The "quark" affair seemed like just a rookie mistake, which is not so bad on the first day: I guess I can see why there was uncertainty, but surely someone on alert would've noticed if she'd paused for a second and confirmed it for her in her earpiece.  After he responded twice, asking  "quark?" would surely have given him the opportunity, had he really been saying something off, to say "yes, that!"  I imagine the desire is to avoid anything like that which could appear not above board.  I don't doubt he did know it, so no problem.

Say what we will about the way the whole guest hosts affair, $26K to a worthwhile charity is nothing to sneeze at.  That was a definite feel good moment for me.

• Love 5

I don't want to keep her, but I didn't hate Katie as host. (Though she did have a little bit of a "talking to kindergarteners" tone to her voice at times, which will probably annoy me by mid-game tomorrow.)

I missed two in the novel reviews category...this annoys me.

Do I get a whole point if I got half each of both clues that asked for two names (blanked on Engels and John C. Reilly)?

The only category I ran was science (helped in part by the fact that Lithium is one of the relatively few channels on XM radio that I actually listen to, coming of age in the 90s as I did). I got all but one in each of TV Shows in 2 Words, D in the middle, Curves, Composers, Strange Bedfellows, and Cake is a Lie.

And I got Final Jeopardy. Can't remember what I was listening to, but that broadcast came up in a podcast yesterday.

44 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I had "piece of cake" instead of "cakewalk," which I think would be fine.

I did, too. If that's acceptable then I got all of Cake.

• Love 3

Well, I have known all day that my brain has somehow left my body. Not sure where it went. Hopefully I locate it soon.

The best I could do for FJ was "the one about aliens landing". I actually knew that story about it, too.

• Love 5

Instaget FJ for me tonight!  I even second-guessed myself, it seemed so obvious to me.

I also got the TS of baseball and Haydn.  

As for Katie -- it's going to be a loooooooooong two weeks.

• Love 9
35 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I don't want to keep her, but I didn't hate Katie as host. (Though she did have a little bit of a "talking to kindergarteners" tone to her voice at times.)

I get that. I thought she was fine, but I couldn’t help judging because she reminded me of every female teacher at every high school open house I’ve ever been to. 

• Love 4

5 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I also got the TS of baseball and Haydn.  

I also got Haydn. The XM channel I've been listening to lately is Symphony Hall, and when I got to work this morning and unplugged my iPod, the Surprise Symphony was playing.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

the Surprise Symphony was playing.

Papa Haydn wrote this tune, And a chord is coming soon,
It will be a big surprise, Open sleepy eyes!  CRASH!

• LOL 3

I have no strong feelings generally About Katie couric, but really didn't like her as host.  Her two 'ahhhhsss' after the personal stories?  Much rather have a 'good for you'   And yes I agree, her tone was like a doting mom or elementary teacher.  I thought at the end she was going to announce nap time for alll

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

I was even happier than I'd expected to see a woman hosting, and appreciated Couric's enthusiasm in her opening remarks, about what a hoot and an honor it is to be able to help fill in.  I liked her demeanor throughout - warm and welcoming. 

Another good game for Laura; she was able to ring in a lot, and had only one incorrect answer (none in her first game).  It was a good game in general; great start to the week.

Not quite as good for me, though.  I didn't run a single category in the first round.  In most I just missed one, but I sat here in silence for all but one of the TV show clues (I got Survivor as a lucky guess).

In DJ, I ran the science, cakes, and can't have just one categories, but didn't do very well in composers (but, unlike the contestants, I did know Clara Wieck) and missed two of the bedfellows movies and a port.

When the FJ category was revealed, I immediately said "War of the Worlds".  I laughed when that actually turned out to be it; I'm not sure I've ever successfully pre-guessed FJ before (I've predicted what some of the responses would be based on regular round categories, but I'm not sure about FJ).

• Love 8

I didn't like early on when she laughed at her own joke.  Unless the joke is so outrageous, the teller can't help but laugh uncontrollably at it in its awfulness, I hate when people laugh at their own jokes.  I don't even remember what she said, but it was kind of lame & she laughed like Johnny Carson himself had told it.

3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I don't want to keep her, but I didn't hate Katie as host. (Though she did have a little bit of a "talking to kindergarteners" tone to her voice at times, which will probably annoy me by mid-game tomorrow.)

I never particularly liked Alec Trebek (yeah, okay, I'm now on the floor bleeding to death from virtual stab wounds for committing the mortal sin of being indifferent to him). To me he seemed like a self-righteous know-it-all talking to people he considered half wits.

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I have no strong feelings generally About Katie couric, but really didn't like her as host.  Her two 'ahhhhsss' after the personal stories?  Much rather have a 'good for you'   And yes I agree, her tone was like a doting mom or elementary teacher.  I thought at the end she was going to announce nap time for alll

Good for you for reminding me of another reason why Trebek didn't do it for me!

• Love 1

I thought Katie did great, and I don't think her "awwww" was any more annoying than Alex's dismissive "good for you". I'm looking forward to seeing all of the temporary hosts, except that quack Dr. Oz.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Bliss said:

every day is Valentine's Day if I'm being truthful. (If I love you, I have no hesitancy expressing that. I now have my entire family saying "I love you" instead of "goodbye" at the end of a conversation. It's sweet and it eliminates any possible regret of wishing our last words were different.)

Huh. So that's why my sister started that "love you" instead of "goodbye" thing a few decades ago. 
Mystery solved. Thanks, @Bliss. Now I can "RIP." Heh.
Will this be a future Jeopardy clue under the category "How it Started"?

3 hours ago, 853fisher said:

The "quark" affair seemed like just a rookie mistake, which is not so bad on the first day: I guess I can see why there was uncertainty, but surely someone on alert would've noticed if she'd paused for a second and confirmed it for her in her earpiece.  After he responded twice, asking  "quark?" would surely have given him the opportunity, had he really been saying something off, to say "yes, that!"  I imagine the desire is to avoid anything like that which could appear not above board.  I don't doubt he did know it, so no problem.

The "'quark' affair" took me totally out of the game. I missed the next clue. Were they telling her in her earpiece to turn towards the light or something? 

46 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I didn't like early on when she laughed at her own joke.  Unless the joke is so outrageous, the teller can't help but laugh uncontrollably at it in its awfulness, I hate when people laugh at their own jokes.  I don't even remember what she said, but it was kind of lame & she laughed like Johnny Carson himself had told it.

I think I was out of the room for that. Was it maybe a nervous laugh at herself for telling a lame joke?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Huh. So that's why my sister started that "love you" instead of "goodbye" thing a few decades ago. 
Mystery solved. Thanks, @Bliss. Now I can "RIP." Heh.
Will this be a future Jeopardy clue under the category "How it Started"?

The "'quark' affair" took me totally out of the game. I missed the next clue. Were they telling her in her earpiece to turn towards the light or something? 

I think I was out of the room for that. Was it maybe a nervous laugh at herself for telling a lame joke?

I'm rooting for Laura because I also like Simon and Garfunkel. Sound of Silence is one of my favorite songs, I think Katie or any female host would be roasted if they were snide to the contestants. My only problem with Alex was being shocked that women knew anything about sports and his accents which gave away some answers.

• Love 3

Nice to see that  we had a woman host for International Woman’s Day. I got Acadian, pancake (as well as all of the other cake clues),  and pre-guessed FJ. This makes me hopeful that my losing streak is over. 

• Love 6

Katie did ok, but I can see where the revolving door of guest hosts is going to get old fast.  I was happy with 6 weeks of Ken. He settled in after the first week and I felt like there was some sense of continuity. Now we will just get used to a host and they will be gone.  If all 8 guest hosts do 2 weeks each that will take us to the 3rd week of June.  Wonder who will finish off the season and if they will get the Tournament of Champions done?

I got FJ easily.

• Love 4

A good game for me to start off the week.

I got the ts's of baseball, Persians, Haydn, and Clara Schumann.

Instaget FJ. 

Katie did okay but I detest "awwww" - so condescending.

• Love 1

The new champ wasn’t my favorite even before I recognized his name.  His wife, Abigail, is an activist with a book about “the transgender craze seducing our daughters” and a Twitter feed dripping with victimhood because major retailers declined to stock it, after people with qualifications beyond being a WSJ opinion columnist found it disconnected from fact.  I try to judge no one solely by the actions of another, and I don’t need to want to have a beer with someone to applaud their success in the game, but I won’t be unhappy to see the back of Zach.

That notwithstanding, it was a good match.  Another FJ clue I knew before the host finished reading means I’m due for a drought before long.  The Ferris wheel category made me laugh, because the question of whether to extend the lease of a large wheel in the main public park where I live has been the cause for much recent gnashing of teeth on both sides.  Also, I would have said Katie’s blouse was silver before she brought it up, which perhaps explains why I hear “you’re going to wear that?” so often.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

Also, I would have said Katie’s blouse was silver before she brought it up, which perhaps explains why I hear “you’re going to wear that?” so often.

I thought it was silver, too.

I did so bad tonight. Giving myself half a point for saying FJ is probably Bradbury but I did not come up with the correct response. 

Got all the "Ends in B" clues and, well, that's the best part of my game. (I did get all but one of Snakes & Ladders but the exact opposite in You Lose.)

ETA: Got TS of King Lear, Book of Kells, and environmentalist (missed DD).

• Love 1

Never been a Katie fan, ever, so it may cloud my judgement, but I just didn’t care for her demeanor or her voice.  Plus, I’m still miffed about her comment that Republicans need to be deprogrammed.  I’m not part of that group, but telling millions of people they need deprogramming is insulting.  And yes, she reminds me of a basic elementary school teacher. 

• Love 7

I had no idea on FJ.  I said grasshopper.  I wouldn't have bet big with a category like sci-fi.

I got the ts of King Lear, Poland, environmentalist and Volga

I got the entire categories of ends with B and cartels right.   

• Love 1

I didn't really have an opinion on Katie before watching. But afterwards, I'm not so sure about her as a host. I get that it was her first show, but she laughed a few times at the middle guys answers (forgot his name) and he got them right but she laughed at him. The she clearly didn't care about the "story" portion to the point where she barely responded to them and moved on right away. Something about her seemed condescending toward them. I know it was her first episode, hopefully she gets better and shes only hear for two weeks. I'm still missing Ken and hope to get these celebrity hosts over quickly.  

As for the show, I was surprised and happy that I got FJ. I love Sci-fi so I guessed Butterfly and figured that is the book that the movie with Aston kutcher is based off of. 

edit: With some research it seems like it wasn't related to a book at all. But I still got the answer.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, blueray said:

I got FJ. I love Sci-fi

Wow, how could we have guessed that from your icon?  (I have a pin that matches it.)  Anyway, good for you!

• Love 3

Gopher snake was a bit surprising as a TS.  Same with shortsightedness.

The Andy Reid TS and Katie's "Not football fans?" took me back to that notorious incident where an entire football category went unanswered.

Katie's shirt came through as purple to me, as I was admiring the color.  (Definitely a purple on the grey end of its spectrum, but purple, not silver.)  I love wearing a deep purple blouse or shoes with light grey slacks, so was imagining that shirt and my favorite dark purple peep-toe pumps with dark grey or black slacks

I ran ferris wheels, cartels, and snakes & ladders in the first round.  I should have run the B category, but couldn't get coxcomb out in time.  The other categories, I missed two each.

In DJ, I got all the cities, losers, and 16-letter words, but I was terrible with the constellation clues, missing three.  I also missed two "of" clues and Bruno Mars.

I had no idea on FJ, and would have bet zero based on the category, but when the correct response was revealed, I had an oh, of course reaction.  I don't know how long it would have taken me to scroll through my mental rolodex of insects to get to butterfly and have the "Oh, butterfly effect - that must be it" light bulb moment, though -- far longer than the show gives, that's for sure. 

• Love 3

For “ENDS IN 'B’" for $1,000, if I had said "What is a comb?" instead of "What is a coxcomb?" would that have been correct? 
I always think of "comb" as the thing on the rooster's head, whereas I think of a "coxcomb" as a self-important character in a Jane Austen novel.

For Monday’s FJ I blurted out: "The End of the World. No. Wait. That doesn't sound quite right."
I might have self-corrected in time to  The War of the Worlds if I hadn't gotten so distracted trying to sort which Well(e)s wrote it and which Well(e)s read it over the radio.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, blueray said:

I didn't really have an opinion on Katie before watching. But afterwards, I'm not so sure about her as a host. I get that it was her first show, but she laughed a few times at the middle guys answers (forgot his name) and he got them right but she laughed at him.

I took it as laughing with pleasure that he got it, that she was pulling for him. Mileage varies.

I had no real clue about FJ, but insect brought me to the Butterfly Effect, and a terrible movie (imo) with Ashton Kutcher. So two for two this week, I'm due for crickets for the remaining FJs.

• Love 5