Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I pre-called Buffy the Vampire Slayer!

Didn't get FJ though. I read a book early on in high school (~2004-2005) that I didn't like and it was the first time I actually didn't finish reading a book because I disliked it so much. When The Hunger Games movie first game out, I had no interest in it as I thought it was based on the book I had read.

Tonight I learned the book was actually released in 2008....so now I wonder, what was it that I actually read and didn't finish?

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Very few TS, and no surprises among them - well, maybe Grambling a little, or at least that no one even picked a southern HBU to guess - and only one or two wrong answers from each contestant, so that was a great game.

I did just okay in the first round; I ran financial terms, airlines, and 8-letter words, but missed two each in lit and squads, and one in cartoons (the $200 clue, no less, because I called Finding Dory "Finding Nemo Part 2" [I never saw either one]).

In FJ, I was about the same - I ran TOC, colleges, and space, but missed three TV finales, two artists, and one historic place (I joined the contestants in being stumped by Peterhof).

I could have sat here until I died and not come up with FJ; I know nothing about The Hunger Games other than there's someone named Katniss - not that I knew that was the book at issue to begin with.  I had no guess at all, and just sat here sipping my drink as the music played.

• Love 3

A good game to watch.

I got the ts of Durer and the missed DD of booster.

For FJ I got the Pan part from "bread and circuses" but I've never read the books or watched the Hunger Games movies so I had no idea what would come after Pan.

• Love 8
36 minutes ago, Trey said:

A good game to watch.

I got the ts of Durer and the missed DD of booster.

For FJ I got the Pan part from "bread and circuses" but I've never read the books or watched the Hunger Games movies so I had no idea what would come after Pan.

For personal reasons I should remember Dürer, but I never do. 

Booster was easy for me because I was very interested in the space program, and I'd just finished the "right stuff" series, and a documentary on the Challenger.

I knew the FJ book, but bread and circus threw me off, as I tried to figure out the venue of the challenges. Even so, I probably would have missed it as Panem never stuck with me.

• Love 5

I have J! set up to record on my pvr, and for some reason there's a Sunday taping - always a previous show from way-back-when. I usually delete the Sunday taping; however, this week I had the urge to watch it. It was from Feb 27/2020 (I think) and Mackenzie Jones (I think) was in her winning streak. What I noticed was how ill Alex was - and doing a fine job of covering up his cold. His voice was deep and at times his throat sounded hoarse. I felt so sad. It really hit me how he must have struggled during those final months to keep on keeping on... so when Katie made the comment of how hard hosting J! is, and how much more respect she had for Alex, I understood.

Like you, @Trey, I've never seen Hunger Games and got only the "pan" part of FJ.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Oh, right.  I didn't know any of those.  I've heard of Grambling and Durer -- but I've never heard of Peterhof.

I was the exact opposite. I've been to Peterhof but I had no idea on the other two.

• Love 3

I got booster and did a happy squee when the Citadel was mentioned. My great nephew went there and did all 4 years on the Dean’s list with his 4.0 self. I once asked him why he took German as his language. He told me “Because it is the language of math”. 

• Love 5

I wouldn't get FJ! if I stood at the podium until the world ended.  I've never seen or read Hunger Games.  Other than Monday's FJ!, I'm finding the clues are easier than, let's say, a year ago.  Anyone else think so?  P.S.  Katie Couric bores me. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I wouldn't get FJ! if I stood at the podium until the world ended.  I've never seen or read Hunger Games.  Other than Monday's FJ!, I'm finding the clues are easier than, let's say, a year ago.  Anyone else think so?  P.S.  Katie Couric bores me. 

agree clues are easier and agree re katie.  loved ken and executive producer

• Love 1

Got all the Apps and Small Mammals, and only missed one each in Atlanta News, Historic Henrys, and Songs.

TS - shrew, gophers, squirrel, Mortica Addams (the only one I got in that category 😞 ), bumblebee bat, hardening of the arteries, and ermine.
Only got one DD, Henry Clay, which was an absolute guess.

No FJ, except I accidentally saw it in the archive before the game (I was trying to click on the game link below it, so I could copy the categories into my scorecard, and accidentally moved my mouse over the box so it showed the answer. Looked away real quick before I could register what it said, but when I looked back I saw it had gotten stuck, because my computer is always cranky for a few minutes when I first wake it up, so I saw it). So then I just read the clue and knew I wouldn't have gotten it anyway. Overall score of 66% (which is sadly 9 points better than yesterday).

I was questioning the response of "iHeart," but in the app store it's listed as "iHeart: Radio, Music, Podcast‪s" (I listen to Alec Baldwin's podcast which is on iHeartRadio, but I've never used the app).

4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I once asked him why he took German as his language. He told me “Because it is the language of math”. 

One of my college roommates took German because she was a voice major. My first name is a German word and she would get all excited when she'd come across it in her book. 😄 

• Love 3

I said Ganzaga.  I don't even know if that's a place.  I knew it had to be where marble came from, but that didn't help me.

I got the ts of bat, Morticia Addams, squirrel, Acapulco, Lancaster, shrew mole, Defender of the Faith, Henry Clay, and ermine.  Bonus points for having a lot and actually being able to read them all.

I got the entire category of Henry right.  Much better night than last night.

• Love 3

Between the category itself and the stray similar clues in Double Jeopardy, I don't think any of tonight's contestants have ever seen a mammal smaller than a goat.

• LOL 7
19 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

Glad the guy who answered "Paintbrushia" won.

While I appreciated his style of humor throughout the episode and so will be happy to see him again, he disappointed me by only coming up with a Double A instead of a Triple A non-answer ––but maybe that was his point ––that he didn’t have a Triple A answer. 
Meanwhile, I knew it had to be a place where marble was mined, and Carrara was familiar once it was revealed, but there was no way I could remember it.

But I did very well for me in that I had TSs of gopher (again! albeit not snake), shrew, and hardening of the arteries.

I wonder if I (and others watching at home) would do better they would show the categories on the screen during the the rounds. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
32 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I said Ganzaga.  I don't even know if that's a place.  I knew it had to be where marble came from, but that didn't help me.

Gonzaga is a university in Spokane, WA...

30 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

Glad the guy who answered "Paintbrushia" won.

The J Archive had it as "Paintbrush" and I was so confused (as mentioned above I read it before the game started). Then I saw he actually meant to write Paintbrushia and it was a joke. I was originally rooting for the returning champ but I liked him, too. He can stay.

7 minutes ago, Emma9 said:

Between the category itself and the stray similar clues in Double Jeopardy, I don't think any of tonight's contestants have ever seen a mammal smaller than a goat.

You mean lions and tigers aren't small mammals? (I wanted the other one to say bears after that.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

The gopher TS was really unexpected; even if none of them knew they're the ones who just love to dine on roots and bulbs - or watched Caddyshack - with those other two critters who dig tunnels and laugh at your attempts to outwit them (moles and voles) ruled out, I thought for sure the last contestant would get it. 

Hardening of the arteries and Muay Thai also surprised me.  So did Acapulco a bit; I thought that was more well known (as did Katie, it seems). 

I liked Katie doing the Addams family finger snap when revealing the Morticia Addams TS.  I also laughed at her reading of the Billy Joel clue.

And I got a good laugh at Paintbrushia.

They really didn't need pictures for the Ted Turner and Tyler Perry clues (or at least I hope they didn't).

I didn't specifically know most of the roles in common, but successfully guessed all but Han Solo (two nights in a row, I miss a $200 clue because of my large gaps in pop culture knowledge).  I did manage to run the app category, despite not having a smartphone.  I also ran dives and Atlanta, but missed two mammals and one word -- truncheon, which really bugged me, as I hardly ever miss vocabulary clues.

I turned right around and did it again in DJ, not knowing ermine.  I also missed one "_of the_" clue (the DD about the queen), the bat clue in Thailand, two poems, and two Henrys.  The only category I ran was songs.

FJ was an eye-opener; all this time, I have thought it was Carrera marble.  Figuring the clue referred to marble, that's what I said, but then I remembered the category, and I realized it's Carrara.

• Love 4

My thought was also the marble, but I forgot the category and thought the name I was looking for was Carrera.  I know spelling doesn't normally count, but I wonder if I would have been ruled incorrect given that my answer was correct but spelled incorrectly, in a way that didn't meet the category.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

My thought was also the marble, but I forgot the category and thought the name I was looking for was Carrera.  I know spelling doesn't normally count, but I wonder if I would have been ruled incorrect given that my answer was correct but spelled incorrectly, in a way that didn't meet the category.

It was Triple-"A" Geography so it had to have three As.

• Love 2

I wasn’t sure if the FJ category meant it had to start with A or just have 3 A’s somewhere in the name so I didn’t even know where to begin with that one. I was thinking “Does Alabaster maybe come from an Italian city?”

• Love 4

Woof, not a great game. You’re playing for pancreatic cancer research too! Get it together, y’all. 😉 Easy to knock it from behind a screen, of course. I could have picked up a fair bit of money but didn’t add it up to see if a win was possible from the so-called “fourth podium.”

I’m sure some people are more or less comfortable being interviewed, and I’ve said before that I would rather non-clue content end up on the cutting room floor if need be. Nevertheless I always feel a little sorry for the odd contestant who gets just a sentence in that portion, like Wendy tonight, while others tell more involved stories and get some back-and-forth. I’m sure they’re focused on the game and don’t give it too much thought in the moment.

One of my group texts this afternoon said “ooooh, our favorite pangolins on J! tonight,” so I played my own little game imagining them as the correct response to every Small Mammals clue before they came up. We think they are incredibly adorable. Katie had some pretty cute (probably) ad-libs today too. She took a bit of the sting out of no one knowing Morticia Addams, or Carolyn Jones. Like Alex, Carolyn loved her work and kept it up as long as she possibly could, doing the soap “Capitol” on CBS in a wheelchair while very sick with colon cancer.

I did get FJ, well after time was called, but before they started revealing answers. I realized too late they were asking “where’d they get the marble” and was also a little stuck on A as the first letter. Then I remembered my childhood church’s new building: they couldn’t have been prouder that the altar was to be made of Carrara marble. Then I hung up on the spelling. My day job often involves marketing copy for residential real estate, so it occasionally comes up and usually has to be corrected if I didn’t write the first draft. But you see “Carrera” often enough and it gets stuck in your head when you’re out of copywriting mode for the day. Since nobody onstage got it, we’ll say I did. Shhhhh!

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

FJ was an eye-opener; all this time, I have thought it was Carrera marble.  Figuring the clue referred to marble, that's what I said, but then I remembered the category, and I realized it's Carrara.

After pondering, I said, "Carrera. No, that's a Porsche. Oh! Three A's - Carrara!" I got it before time was up, but I wouldn't have had time to write it.

I was baffled by the Atlanta category, because on the local news they were talking about it and showed a clue about "this Mayor's name was added to the name of Hartsfield International Airport" - but that never showed up on the game. Maybe it's the J6 question.  But since I've lived here since 1973, I ran the category.  Missed a WHOLE lot of others. But I knew "heart attack ack ack ack ack ack"  LOL.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, secnarf said:

Eclipse and Earthrise are not the same thing.

I realize they aren't the same.  

The question is would you see a lunar eclipse standing on the moon or while orbiting the moon.

But the question specifically mentioned apollo 8 and what they saw so I guess that's where only earthrise works. 

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I realize they aren't the same.  

The question is would you see a lunar eclipse standing on the moon or while orbiting the moon.

But the question specifically mentioned apollo 8 and what they saw so I guess that's where only earthrise works. 

Hah! I didn’t even catch the Apollo 8 restriction––which would have just distracted me from working out the physics in time.

Anyway, the clue reads:

• You won't see this event if you're standing on the Moon, but you can if you're orbiting it, like the Apollo 8 astronauts did

So, yes, “eclipse” would otherwise work, and would be pretty awesome. 

++++++++++++

I would have just missed getting the first round DD:

• Someone who profits, or a backwards somersault that lands feet first into the water

because in trying to beat the clock I blurted out “half gainer,” which, of course, enters the water head first, even if it more accurately describes my personal financial life. 😉

Edited by shapeshifter
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I wonder if I (and others watching at home) would do better they would show the categories on the screen during the the rounds. 

We've often thought that would be great (I miss a number because I forget the category). The other gripe we have is that they should leave the clue for all those anagram categories.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I thought it was Carrera too - not that it would have changed anything.

In the dive category - the waterfowl question - my brain blipped and I answered that most famous dive of all - the duck dive. 🤣 We had a long and hard laugh over that one (thank goodness we record the show).

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I was baffled by the Atlanta category, because on the local news they were talking about it and showed a clue about "this Mayor's name was added to the name of Hartsfield International Airport" - but that never showed up on the game. Maybe it's the J6 question.

Strange! You’re probably right. I have never lived there but only recently got the strangely hypnotic message from the plane train out of my brain. “Hi! I’m Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms. Welcome to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport!” Or something like that.  And now it’s back, probably forever. *shakes fist*

13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I would like that too. I can picture a display with the category shown above the dollar amount, I think in yellow type? I have seen it somewhere, I’m sure of it, but don’t ask me where. Maybe on one of the J! games.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 1

I came up with Morticia Adams, squirrel, Acapulco, ermine, and clogging of the arteries. I knew what they were asking for in FJ, but I couldn’t pull it out of my brain. It made me mad because I have three living room tables topped with it. One in gray, one in black and one in rose marble. I think I need to eat better brain food for dinner. This losing streak is killing me. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

In the dive category - the waterfowl question - my brain blipped and I answered that most famous dive of all - the duck dive. 🤣 We had a long and hard laugh over that one (thank goodness we record the show).

Hah! I said "duck" too trying to think of "cormorant" because they often dive when I try to take their pictures, but then laughed at myself too, because, of course, "swan dive." 
And I bet if the category had been on the screen we wouldn't have been yelling "duck!" 🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Had no idea on Final Jeopardy.  I've never heard of Carrara marble, no matter how it's spelled.

I was thinking I would have written "What is Milaaan?" and hoped for some sympathy points. 😀

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

We're not nuts, thinking Carrera instead of Carrara. On Amazon, they list tiles as Carrara (Carrera)

I said Carrera, oh that won't work, so I'm making it Carrara as I had no other answer.

It was kind of a strange game. Daily Doubles were not kind to anyone, but I got them all except the diving one. Ironic, because when I was in college two of my roommates were on the diving team. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Hah! I didn’t even catch the Apollo 8 restriction––which would have just distracted me from working out the physics in time.

Anyway, the clue reads:

• You won't see this event if you're standing on the Moon, but you can if you're orbiting it, like the Apollo 8 astronauts did

Actually, I don't think "eclipse" is valid, even without mentioning Apollo 8.  When we have a lunar eclipse, the earth is between the sun and the moon, so that would make a solar eclipse there.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Hah! I said "duck" too trying to think of "cormorant" because they often dive when I try to take their pictures, but then laughed at myself too, because, of course, "swan dive." 
And I bet if the category had been on the screen we wouldn't have been yelling "duck!" 🤣

Compadre!

• Love 1

I didn't get to see the first few questions but I got there in time to get Morticia Addams; also got gainer, ermine and Henry Clay. I almost got Defender of the Faith but for some reason said Guardian of the Faith.

I knew more or less what they wanted for FJ but all I could come up with was alabaster; I was pretty sure there's no city in Italy named Alabaster but neither Carrera nor Carrara came to mind.  I should have got it - I watch enough of those renovation shows with their ubiquitous marble countertops.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1
On ‎03‎/‎15‎/‎2021 at 8:14 PM, ams1001 said:

There were three TS, all in Double J - Grambling State U ($1600 clue), Albrecht Durer, and Peterhof (both $2000 clues).

I should've gotten Durer, but couldn't come up with his name.

I knew Panem without needing to finish reading the clue.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Emma9 said:

I'll be honest, I said sabertooth tiger because I forgot the category.

Being a huge fan of the space program, I should've gotten Earthrise, but of course I said eclipse.  D'oh.

I did get Morticia Addams, ermine and Henry Clay.

And I knew Carrara, although I wasn't sure I was right.

15 hours ago, Bastet said:

Hardening of the arteries and Muay Thai also surprised me.  So did Acapulco a bit; I thought that was more well known (as did Katie, it seems). 

Acapulco totally surprised me, and hardening of the arteries did a bit (although I couldn't come up with it), but Muay Thai did not surprise me at all.  I've only ever heard the name in a Progressive commercial and wouldn't have had the slightest idea where it came from.

• Love 2

I don't suppose they would have accepted "what is that place in Italy with the famous marble" would they?  Because that's all I had for FJ last night.  V8 head slap when the correct response was revealed.

I also said groundhog instead of gopher -- I have numerous groundhog highways under my yard, but no gophers.  I have no idea if groundhogs eat roots.  Also, I have never heard the eyepiece of a telescope or binoculars referred to as the "eyehole".  Eyepiece or ocular is how I learned it.

But I did get lots of TS, including Morticia Addams, squirrel, gainer, ermine, hardening of the arteries, and Henry Clay.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I don't suppose they would have accepted "what is that place in Italy with the famous marble" would they?  Because that's all I had for FJ last night.  V8 head slap when the correct response was revealed.

Well, I count at least three As in there, so... (actually 5; would too many As disqualify it?).

season 3 nuts GIF

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Scott said:
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Actually, I don't think "eclipse" is valid, even without mentioning Apollo 8.  When we have a lunar eclipse, the earth is between the sun and the moon, so that would make a solar eclipse there.  

I think a lunar eclipse would be like this. No?

image.png.a4fcd717b234ac0b8eb83bca7d6623d5.png

Got TS of wreck diving and The Hot Zone, and missed DD of Jaws (also got the other DD in the second round, but not the one in the first). Got all the potent potables…for some reason I do well with that one despite the fact that I don't really drink much (there hasn't even been anything "potent" in my house for months). All but one in Novels, Five Facts, Hopeful History, Shells, Scary Movies, and Europe; missed only two each in the rest except for TV (where I missed all but one). I did not get FJ.

I predicted last Monday that Katie's sing-songy kindergarten teacher voice would get annoying and I was right. I'll be glad when she's done.
Once again, I liked all the players so I'm good with the new champ. Also, she was the only girl so I was kinda rooting for her.

• Love 5

I said  Bull Moose and Republican.  I could have sat here for 100 years and not gotten that one.  that was hard.

I got the ts of west wind and Jaws.

I got the entire category of tv wrong (weird for me), and all of Scary movies, Novels and the parial of potent potablees right.

1 minute ago, SeanC said:

I’m surprised a person could get Bull Moose right but not know that Wilson won that election.

I think "the left" just makes people auto think democrat.  But I knew Wilson won, thought Roosevelt and taft split the rest of the votes and that's the story of my wrong answer.

• Love 2