Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, LBS said:

I also think that the music was playing too soft for them to really hear it over the clue.

I thought it was too soft also.  Otherwise I would have got it immediately.

My ts's were Po (it was that or Arno and for once I chose the right one) and Chicago Med - I watched an episode of that just the other day so knew Oliver Platt was in it.  Don't think I'll bother watching any more episodes of it.

Didn't get FJ right away but pretty quickly.  Military + lullaby = Taps seemed logical.

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I overthought FJ, thinking "lullaby" was ironic/sarcastic, so I went with a different military song. Sigh..

That also occurred to me so I thought possibly it was Reveille but stuck with non-ironic Taps.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 5

That's interesting, @MrAtoZ. Thanks for the info.

I wonder when they will tape the TOC, and who will host?  Cases have fallen substantially and I believe California has opened up more, although I'm not sure about L.A. County. 

I did get FJ.

Does anyone else play Jeopardy on their Amazon Echo device?  They are still using Alex Trebek's voice.  I find it a bit unnerving.  It's been almost 4 months now.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Where can you find yesterday's clues?  I missed part of one of the chef clues - who is it that hates green bell peppers? I may need to get that chef's cookbooks, if there are any.

Was it Gordon Ramsay?

NM. It was NOT Gordon Ramsay. I don't know.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Where can you find yesterday's clues?  I missed part of one of the chef clues - who is it that hates green bell peppers? I may need to get that chef's cookbooks, if there are any.

It's pastry chef Duff Goldman. He's on the Food network a lot.

• Love 1

I had to think a bit for FJ tonight, but I got it in the nick of time.  Not sure I spelled it correctly -- I can never remember how many Ps and how many Ls there are!  

As for TS, the only ones I got were Frontier, Gandalf, and coulomb.  

But we got a "Good for you!" from Mike!  I guess his thing is going to be reminding us to be kinder and gentler instead of thanking Alex.

• Love 3

I didn't get FJ.  the stupid thing is I thought of the Godfather and then said mario Puzo didn't direct.  I don't know if I would have gotten it had Inot veered away. Directors aren't my thing.

I got the ts of Delta and Galndalf

And I got the entire caterogy of 4 letters . So-so night.

• Love 1

ETA: Mike Richards' opening bit about Alex made me too teary to read the categories.

I knew Gandalf, even though I'm not a fan of the franchise, but I managed to slog through The Hobbit and part of the The Trilogy back in the late 60s - early 70s, so I have Jeopardy-level knowledge, heh.
Similarly, when I saw the chair in the Duncan category, I immediately knew Duncan Phyfe because Mom was into antique shopping, and, although we didn't have a Duncan Phyfe, she was sure that if she saw one she would know it. Hah. I guess now I do too.

I would be a terrible Jeopardy contestant.
Well, I'd at least use the correct question asking form. 
But if there were teams, I could be helpful. 🙂

The winner had some mannerisms that annoyed me, and Mike Richards' lisp bugs me too. Now I know how y'all felt about other stuff you complained about that didn't bother me.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Mike Richards' lisp 

I hadn't noticed... now I'll be listening for it tomorrow.

I got Gandalf just because it seemed like a reasonable guess (I've seen the LOTR movies, but it wasn't really my choice to do so).

• Love 1

This is the first time I’ve ever noticed a contestant looking at another contestant during Final Jeopardy to try to get them to clue them in on if they were going to win. After the middle guy got it right and his win depended on whether the champ got it right, he kept looking and nodding his head at the champ kind of quizzically, like he was looking for the champ to give him an indication if he was going to win or not.

• Useful 2

The Delta TS surprised me a bit, as did work, but that was a good game.

For them.  Just so-so for me.  I don't watch any of the TV shows quoted in the first round, but managed to only miss two of them.  I also missed two in Roman times and four in swords, though, so I got worse as the round went on.

In DJ, I only ran guitar goddesses and African countries; I missed one each in S words (spinet - never heard of it), physics (I knew coulomb, but could not pull it from the recesses of my brain), and museums (Guernica), and three in Duncan.

FJ was pretty much an instaget, so that was a nice way to end after a somewhat frustrating game; I hadn't actually been missing all that many, but quite a few of my gets were lucky guesses, so I was feeling a little off for much of the game.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, Bastet said:

(spinet - never heard of it)

I know the word from:

For we need a little Christmas
Right this very minute
Candles in the window
Carols at the spinet
Yes, we need a little Christmas
Right this very minute

Not sure I knew what a spinet actually looked like, though. I guess I sort of assumed it was a piano type thing...

26 minutes ago, opus said:

There’s 342 hours of your life you’ll never get back.

Yes, yes it is. I was dragged by a different guy each time. The last one was a friend who had gone to the midnight showing when it opened, then called me that night with a half hour notice to go see it again. By the end I was thinking, "oh, good, it's over...oh, wait, no it's not...ooh, black screen! oh, wait, another scene...how the hell did he watch this movie twice in less than 24 hours?!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
54 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I missed one one each in S words (spinet - never heard of it), physics (I knew coulomb, but could not pull it from the recesses of my brain), and museums (Guernica), and three in Duncan.

I knew spinet, even though I’ve always associated the term with this type (although with even more spare design), and I instantly knew “Guernica.” But I had no clue about many of those you knew, @Bastet, which means we would be great Jeopardy team mates. 
image.png.2f459f3fe78f77cb9157d8102ac611be.png

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I know the word from:

For we need a little Christmas
Right this very minute
Candles in the window
Carols at the spinet
Yes, we need a little Christmas
Right this very minute

Oh, my - Not only do I know that song, it plays in the opening scene of one of my favorite Christmas episodes of Major Crimes, an episode I just re-watched in syndication in the HOUR before tonight's game, yet I had never registered that word as part of the lyrics (I really just know "we need a little Christmas, right this very minute", "haul out the holly" and "climb down the chimney" other than the "we need a little Christmas now" ending).

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I've always "known" spinet as the type of piano that isn't a grand - an "upright" piano (because the strings are perpendicular to the floor, whereas a grand's strings are parallel to the floor.) We had a really old spinet when I was growing up and when Mom wanted to sell it, the piano guy gave her more than it was worth as a piano, but he did so because of the wood used to build it. I don't recall what kind of wood it was, but Piano Dude was very impressed.

I blanked on FJ - kept thinking either Lucas or Spielberg, leaned toward Lucas. But Star Wars win a writing Oscar? Nah. The Godfathers 1 & 2 never entered my mind.

Richards is OK, but I'm surprised by how much I'd rather have KJ.  I was watching Classic Concentration earlier - Alex with mustache & dark hair. It was bittersweet.

• Love 5

I also knew "spinet" from the song in Mame. It's always played as a Christmas song even though it really isn't; it's about pretending it's Christmas because times are bad. Kind of a bittersweet message.

I knew Delta, baths, September, Bloomsbury, and Duncan Phyfe. I got FJ even though I hadn't realized Coppola co-wrote the first two Godfather movies.

Did anyone think of this famous Saturday Night Live skit with "S"Words and Swords? 

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
21 hours ago, LBS said:

I liked him as well.  I thought he moved the game along nicely.  

As for ‘Strangers in the Night’, my family always sung it as ‘Children of the Corn’ for some reason I no longer remember so I yelled that out.  😂. I also think that the music was playing too soft for them to really hear it over the clue.

PS: I rarely post on this thread but it is something I read every morning.  You guys are very informative and entertaining!

Yes I thought the music was too soft as well. I knew the answer but was hard to hear and they didn't play it long.  

I like the new guest host even though I had no idea who he was before the last two days.  I think he is doing better than ken jennings.  

Got FJ.  GFII only sequel to win best picture.  

• Love 6

I got lots of answers during the game but no ts's, at least that I marked down.

For FJ, I knew the movies were The Godfather and Godfather II, knew the director had a daughter (niece?) named Sofia but could not pull out the last name. Frustrating but better than having no clue at all.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Yes, yes it is. I was dragged by a different guy each time. The last one was a friend who had gone to the midnight showing when it opened, then called me that night with a half hour notice to go see it again. By the end I was thinking, "oh, good, it's over...oh, wait, no it's not...ooh, black screen! oh, wait, another scene...how the hell did he watch this movie twice in less than 24 hours?!"

Ah, yes. Too many endings, I remember it well.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, Trey said:

knew the director had a daughter (niece?) named Sofia

Daughter.  She was the baby in the baptism scene in The Godfather.

This all kind of makes me feel old. 😀 I still remember when Francis Ford Coppola was one of the hot young directors!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

Daughter.  She was the baby in the baptism scene in The Godfather.

This all kind of makes me feel old. 😀 I still remember when Francis Ford Coppola was one of the hot young directors!

And the daughter in godfather III, but most would rather forget that one.  

I actually didn't know he wrote the script with Mario puzo, plus I thought ouzo just did the book.  But it was the only good answer I could come up with from the movie

• Love 1

I, too, know spinet from 'We Need A Little Christmas', but never knew it was an actual instrument. I always thought it was a brand name of a piano. So I learned something, after hearing that song for *many* years.

I LOLed at 'Swords' and 'S-words'! I think if these were normal times and there was a regular studio audience, there would have been a reaction to that.

• Love 1

I felt like I was "getting used to" Ken... his voice, mannerisms, etc. I'm fairly easy going (IMO... others might disagree LOL), and I was feeling I'd be fine if Ken continued...

And then Mike showed up.

As a host, I prefer him - mostly because his energy suits J! - and I find his voice, mannerisms, etc. more to my liking.

Bottom line: I'll watch J! no matter who hosts.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Bliss said:

I felt like I was "getting used to" Ken... his voice, mannerisms, etc. I'm fairly easy going (IMO... others might disagree LOL), and I was feeling I'd be fine if Ken continued...

And then Mike showed up.

As a host, I prefer him - mostly because his energy suits J! - and I find his voice, mannerisms, etc. more to my liking.

Bottom line: I'll watch J! no matter who hosts.

I liked his too-soon canceled version of Pyramid, so I was looking forward to this. I didn't know he was the executive producer until his appearance after Alex's passing. I didn't mind Ken as a host, but I really like Mike as the host. 

I just saw that Aaron Rodgers will be hosting, which is cool. Although I'm not a Packer fan, I remember him being really strong on Celebrity Jeopardy, and he's a hoot in his commercials.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Trey said:

For FJ, I knew the movies were The Godfather and Godfather II, knew the director had a daughter (niece?) named Sofia but could not pull out the last name. Frustrating but better than having no clue at all.

I had the same reaction - it's the Godfather movies, the director is, is, is, ... not Martin Scorcese but that other guy, time's up!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

In the middle of watching today's show... and amused at Aaron's story of catching a foul ball at a Blue Jay's game in the World Series of '92. I was at that game! Wow... what are the odds?

Laughed out loud at Ken's response to Mike's question for the second DD - he'd like another category! Hilarious.

Great game! I enjoy the close finishes... and also Mike's rapport with the show. I wonder if it's "beneath" him, status-wise, to be the host vs the producer. Why not take on both? Obviously, it is possible, given these two weeks.

Mike's mention of Alex's name gives me this little twinge in my heart. Sort of like seeing some memories flash up on social media... it's all because of the love we feel. That's a good thing, so I'll continue to appreciate the tributes until they don't make them anymore.

• Love 8

I'm only at the first commercial break but Ken is making me seasick.

'k, now it's over. I went to check something on the archive during a commercial and accidentally saw the FJ answer (but not the clue). I think I would have gotten it, anyway.

• Love 2

I got FJ, but it was a total guess.  I said Max Factor is a person.  Revlon?  Maybe.  Avon.  that wil have to be my answer.

I got the ts of trombonist and Zane Grey.

Missed some answers I should have gotten but still did pretty well.

• Love 1

It took a bit tonight for me to come up with FJ, but I got it at the last second.  Good thing it wasn't Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, or I'd never have finished writing it in time.  

The only TS I got were Sharon Tate and Zane Grey.  

Ken's swaying was bugging me, too.

9 hours ago, DXD526 said:

I LOLed at 'Swords' and 'S-words'! I think if these were normal times and there was a regular studio audience, there would have been a reaction to that.

Celebrity Jeopardy! was amazing. It's sad to think that Alex Trebek, Sean Connery, and Burt Reynolds (or Turd Ferguson) are no longer with us.

As for FJ tonight, I was just lucky that Shakespeare was the first name that popped into my head once the clue had the home of a favorite playwright.  

• Love 2

I loved that FJ.  I didn't get it, mind you, but I loved it!  I wish I had approached it as "who are some very famous playwrights and where are they from."  Unfortunately "home" made me think more of a homestead for some reason, and I was trying to think of a playwright with a famous named home that we would recognize, like Monticello or Graceland.  With about ten seconds left, I panicked and started just trying to think of cosmetics brands.  Is Revlon a famous homestead?  Apparently not. 😉

I knew Macallan was whiskey, of all reasons because Jeff Winger on "Community" drank it, but am not sure I would have survived a Be-More-Specific.  I got Jack Lemmon, but felt that the photo wasn't a good likeness somehow, maybe just because I've seen him more often when he was younger?  I remember catching "The Apartment" and "Singin' in the Rain" in a double feature at our neighborhood theatre on January 1, 2020 and thinking, if our movie draw was starting that well, it was sure to be a great year.

I still think Mike is doing fine, but it seems that he only has one cadence and/or volume.  It's hard to describe what I mean, but I feel he is speaking the same way when he's greeting the audience or reading a clue or telling the contestant that was a cool story about the foul ball.

19 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

We had a really old spinet when I was growing up and when Mom wanted to sell it, the piano guy gave her more than it was worth as a piano, but he did so because of the wood used to build it. I don't recall what kind of wood it was, but Piano Dude was very impressed.

Was it rosewood?  "A Rosewood Spinet" was a popular song of 1948.  I've never known whether they were generally made of rosewood at a certain period of time, or just Dinah's.

• Love 4

Good episode.  All contestants were knowledgeable and played well.  Clues were not too easy.  It was relatively close at the end of Double Jeopardy.

Final Jeopardy took me a few seconds, but I got it, and that's my favorite kind of FJ.

Another good game.  "I'd like to do a different category" about coming upon a DD in the horse and writer category cracked me up.

I was on track to run the first round, but then I didn't know Tardis or Jack Johnson.

I completely blew DJ, though; I missed three or four each in the horses, soldiers, and paintings categories.  I also didn't know The Goonies or Skywalker in the movies category or transept in TNT - the only category I ran was grafting.

FJ did come to me after some thought, so at least I ended on a high note.

• Love 4

I always whiff on Winslow Homer. It's because his names are reversed - he's got a last name for a first name and a first name for a last name - so naturally, I blurted out Homer Winslow.  After I corrected myself, a few clues later we had a similar situation - Washington Irving has reversed names, too. 

I came up with Coty for FJ. I knew Revlon was owned by the Revson family, so immediately ruled that out.  Never even though of Avon, but in hindsight, it makes total sense.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Ken's swaying was bugging me, too.

I always find man-swaying distracting, but his seemed particularly "generous".  Especially in the time of the virus.  I mean, what's the point of social distancing if it's okay to just lean right into someone?

15 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Got FJ.  GFII only sequel to win best picture.  

Well, it was. Until “LOtR: Return of the King.” (And I say those movies should be longer, dammit! 😆 I want more Middle Earth! They are my favorite films and I love the extended editions.) Got that FJ immediately. And the triple stumper of Glamdring.

I think showing a photo of Jack Lemmon was waaaay to easy for a $1000 clue. Got the FJ of Avon, in a totally random occurrence I actually read about that cosmetics company changing its name to Avon earlier today on Wikipedia! 😳

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I think showing a photo of Jack Lemmon was waaaay to easy for a $1000 clue

A-ha! Maybe that's why ($1K clue) they chose a picture that didn’t look like him (in my and @853fisher’s opinions)?

8 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I got Jack Lemmon, but felt that the photo wasn't a good likeness somehow, maybe just because I've seen him more often when he was younger?

Opinion of one, but Ken is way better of a host. People have various opinions on Ken but I'm pretty sure nobody thinks he's boring. Mike on the other hand, is. He is doing an okay job but he never seems excited about anything and that his ending was the same as his opening.  I still enjoy watching it however.

Looking above, I either totally zoned out or was watching something else. I don't recall the FJ question having to do with Movies at all, there was a category however. It was like books or something. 

• Love 6