Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’ve only ever heard uppity to mean acting above one’s station (in the opinion of the speaker). And I’ve only ever heard it followed by one word which I will definitely not repeat here. Maybe it’s a regional thing. 

Seems a little tone deaf to be using in a Jeopardy clue, but again, maybe it’s regional. 

6 hours ago, ams1001 said:

That's what I thought. I don't know if they're still in print but there was a series of books called Uppity Women (of The New World, of Medieval Times...). (Pretty sure they were in the bargain section when I worked in the bookstore years ago.)

That was my thought as well, which is why I didn’t like the clue.

• Love 2

I like Ken Jennings enough, but he doesn't have a good-enough host voice.  His voice is a little on the thin side.

Mike Richards is okay, I guess.  He seems friendly.  He has host experience.  On the other hand, he's got to come up with another departing line.  Cribbing Alex Trebek's final message to his fans every night is getting harder for him because he's having to go faster and faster.  Last night, he ran through it like he was on the Academy Award stage and was about to be played off by the orchestra.

• LOL 2

I did fairly well on the boards, got a number of the Presidential birthplaces (though Brookline  doesn't mean anything to me, so I screwed up JFK's).

I guessed Netanyahu because of Israel's connection to the US, but I had no confidence in it - I thought the 1996 date was way too early. I was so surprised and happy I pumped both fists (Rocky style). Not a great look on a little old lady, but it felt good. It's a relief, lately I've been doing well on the boards, but FJ's have eluded me, at least until Friday. So I'll be a little more relaxed this week with one under my belt.

• Love 5

Yeah, "uppity" is a rather problematic word to be using these days, because it's so often been applied to black people who have the temerity to act as if they deserve to be treated with respect.  I thought it was a little tone-deaf of the show to include it in a clue.

I think Mike Richards is doing a pretty good job, and he does have more of a traditional "game show host voice" than Ken Jennings does.  On the other hand, he's falling into the use of "stock" phrases a lot.  When someone finds the Daily Double, he almost always says, "What are you going to do?"  When he gives the answer to a triple stumper, it tends to be "We were looking for..."  Alex, and even Ken, would vary things a bit more.  It's a little thing, but it's something that I've noticed, and it may come with experience.

I did not know FJ.  I, too, was thinking about East Asia.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Wordsworth said:

Mike Richards is okay, I guess.  He seems friendly.  He has host experience.  On the other hand, he's got to come up with another departing line.  Cribbing Alex Trebek's final message to his fans every night is getting harder for him because he's having to go faster and faster.  Last night, he ran through it like he was on the Academy Award stage and was about to be played off by the orchestra.

I agree he needs a shorter sign-off. I liked Ken's simple "Thank you, Alex." But he's only got a few more days, so I guess we can live with it. I think I want whoever becomes the permanent host to develop their own thing. (But keep the tribute card at the end. I like it and, unrelated to Alex/Jeopardy, I'm finding I kind of like that short moment of silence. It seems to do something to calm my brain, even for just a few seconds.)

• Love 4

My ts's were filet o'fish, Philip II, and fudge.

Never thought of Netanyahu.  I thought it might be Stephen Harper but I don't know if he has ever addressed Congress.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I agree he needs a shorter sign-off. I liked Ken's simple "Thank you, Alex." But he's only got a few more days, so I guess we can live with it. I think I want whoever becomes the permanent host to develop their own thing. (But keep the tribute card at the end. I like it and, unrelated to Alex/Jeopardy, I'm finding I kind of like that short moment of silence. It seems to do something to calm my brain, even for just a few seconds.)

Ken's thank you was simple, seamless and sincere.  I have no doubt Mike's is just as sincere, but it just doesn't come across quite that way IMO.  Plus, yep, it's too long.  But I love that they all want to continue honoring Alex, no matter how they do it.

• Love 4

I have been attending a music camp for the last nine years or so. I don't play nor do I want to learn but I love cheering others on. I am grateful for that as it helped me run the Guitar Talk category. Ten years ago, I had no clue what a "fret" was.

• Love 1
(edited)

That was an exciting game!  I liked the previous champion a lot but I felt the same way about Melis.  When Mike said the tie at the top might be to her advantage, I thought, wouldn't that be something else?  And it was.

I hope they will keep the dedication card at least through the end of the season.  As far as the verbal tributes, perhaps they should end with Mike.  He and Ken knew Alex well, which I think lends authenticity to their remarks.  Even still, Mike has come close to trite for me a few times.   What was in another setting a charming anecdote about a day Alex's wife visited the studio turned into the kind of generic remarks about how much he loved her that are made about everyone who leaves a spouse behind.  I don't mean to sound flippant or callous, but if someone I believe sincerely admired and misses Alex has me raising my eyebrows, I think paeans from a gallery of media personalities may become tiresome or seem insincere fast.  Maybe that says more about me, I don't know.  Of course no one has to have known Alex personally to miss him or appreciate his impact.  I just don't want to see them overdo it in such a way that the words lose meaning.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 11

Wow.....I'm shocked the didn't accept double fisted and the answer was two fisted.  I've always heard it as double fisted.  And that was right at the end, had a huge effect on the outcome and FJ betting

I thought it was louvre but didn't think it was that old so went with the palace of versailles.  Then I thought for sure it was notre dame when I saw that answer, didn't think of it. 

• Love 2

8 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I'm shocked the didn't accept double fisted and the answer was two fisted

Clue: This hyphenated numerical adjective can mean tough or holding booze in both hands.  "Double" is not "numerical". 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

What a finish!  At least I agreed with the former champ.

Book title and author from a humorous contest: "Drilling for Quicksilver" by Hg Wells.

A friend was at a bar with a group. The server asked if they wanted to order more drinks. The bar was busy, so my friend ordered another beer although she had not finished her first. Unknown to her, a guy across the table ordered one for her, so she ended up with three bottles. Someone said, "I knew you were a *two* fisted drinker ..."

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
16 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Clue: This hyphenated numerical adjective can mean tough or holding booze in both hands.  "Double" is not "numerical". 

How is double not numerical?  Means two. 

Numerical is relating to or expressed as a number or numbers.  Double certainly relates to numbers.  

And the phrase is double fisted not two fisted. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 1

I first thought Notre Dame for FJ, but discarded it in favor of Versailles.  The Louvre crossed my mind briefly -- too bad I stuck with Versailles.  Good for Melis for betting zero!  I was rooting for either her or Jon.  

I got the TS of Mt. Rainier, pigments, and resilient.  

I've only ever heard it as "two-fisted", not double fisted.

• Love 7

I can't recall ever hearing "two-fisted" before.  We used to use "double-fisting" as a verb indicating you were enjoying a drink in each hand, but I'm not sure I've heard the adjective "double-fisted" either.  I didn't have anything to say in time for that one.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

It was really cool to have the new Jeopardy champ come out of nowhere like that.  She ducked while the other two took aim at each other.  It was as if they didn't think she was going to be a factor.

Regardless of where the third contestant is if you're tied for first, you pretty much have to bet it all.  Unless you're fairly certain you'll get it wrong and you're only hope is the other guy does also.  

• Love 3

Well I'm so pleased so many people guessed Notre Dame! It always makes me feel better to know I wasn't totally out to lunch 🙂

I agree that the kinder, gentler world sign off needs to stop - it was clunky to begin with, okay to do once, but more than that is not having the desired effect.

I don't think any of the other guest hosts should do any sort of Alex-related sign-off, because that will just seem insincere. I was even annoyed when I learned KJ didn't come up with his 'thank you Alex', because it made it feel less sincere to me - though KJ's earnest delivery did much to assuage that.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The LAWYER missed "Esquire" ???!!?

I was really surprised by that, and even more so that he didn't seem to have a V8 head smack reaction when the correct answer was revealed.

Pigments surprised me as a TS.  Cupid, too; even though I didn't get that one, either, one of the four of us should have!

I only got two in the "Whatcha Watching?" category and I could not get Tanganyika from my head to my mouth in time, but I otherwise ran the first round.

In DJ, I only ran Science and Tough Talk.  I was as stumped as the contestants by Browning and Cupid, plus missed another in Illustrators; not a good category for me.  Like them, I didn't come up with Pope Francis (but spit out Khmer at the last second).  I also joined them in not knowing Shannon Tweed (but did know D.B. Sweeney), and missed another in that category. 

I guessed FJ correctly based on the dates, but I wasn't sure about it (even though I've been there).

• Love 2
(edited)

Since my first post in this thread which was formerly in this space went so swimmingly I'll just lurk from now on.

Edited by Jaded
(edited)

Wow, I was 100% certain FJ was Notre Dame and I was thinking how easy and obvious that was. 🤦‍♀️😂

What an ending! 

I’ve always heard the term of carrying two drinks at once as “double-fisting” but that does not also mean tough, so it didn’t fit the clue. In fact the second meaning for that term is so not appropriate for Jeopardy so I chuckled when the contestant said it. (Seriously, careful googling that one!!)

And yeah I always hit Stop on the DVR when  Mike starts saying the Alex tribute. It was cool the first day, but it makes me roll my eyes now since it now sounds scripted and not sincere.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I have been attending a music camp for the last nine years or so. I don't play nor do I want to learn but I love cheering others on. I am grateful for that as it helped me run the Guitar Talk category. Ten years ago, I had no clue what a "fret" was.

I cheered Mr. Starling on in bands when he was a guitarist - and Luthier. So I got them all, but he beat me to the punch each time, of course.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, secnarf said:

Well I'm so pleased so many people guessed Notre Dame! It always makes me feel better to know I wasn't totally out to lunch 🙂

I agree that the kinder, gentler world sign off needs to stop - it was clunky to begin with, okay to do once, but more than that is not having the desired effect.

I guessed Notre Dame too. Figures it would be the only place I actually visited in my 8 hours in Paris (business trip).

It's a quote from Alex's book, I think. Or at least he wrote something very like that. But I agree that it's wearing thin, even if I like the sentiment.

• Love 2

No J! here last night. WTNH and yet another COVId "town hall." Why don't you pre-empt Wheel of Fortune once in a while instead. Or run a crawl saying when you will deign to run the J! episode? Or run your damned town hall on your back-up channel? I swear between this sort of thing happening all the damned time and their evening weather dolt, I would switch to any other ABC feed I could get.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I guessed Notre Dame too. Figures it would be the only place I actually visited in my 8 hours in Paris (business trip).

I also said Notre Dame.  In 23 hours in Paris, I visited Notre Dame, the Mémorial des Martyrs de la Déportation, the Louvre, Sacre Coeur, had a Berthillon ice-cream. It was supposed to be two days, but flight delays cut it short.

• Love 4

I also said Norte Dame.  I guess I didn’t realize the Louvre had been around that long!

Wonder if they’d have accepted Steely-Eyed for Hard-Nosed?  As in, Rich Purnell  is a steely-eyed missile man!

• Love 4

Wonder if they’d have accepted Steely-Eyed for Hard-Nosed?  

How about thick-skinned? It was my first response but I'm not really sure if it actually fits. 

I guessed Versailles for FJ. The Louvre didn't cross my mind, and if it had, I'd have probably dismissed it because of IM Pei and I wasn't sure of the timing

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, bad things are bad said:

Wonder if they’d have accepted Steely-Eyed for Hard-Nosed?  

How about thick-skinned? It was my first response but I'm not really sure if it actually fits. 

Pretending I'm a fly on the wall of the judges' room: 
The category was: "Tough Talk"
The Answer was: "There's a sensory organ in this hyphenated adjective meaning tough-minded"
The expected correct question was: "What is hard-nosed?"

So, the only possible quibbles with "steely-eyed" or "thick-skinned" would be how closely they matched "tough-minded."
I think either of those would be fine, but I'm just a fly on the wall, and the judges all just went out for lunch break.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

After I noticed that Mike was repeating Alex's message, almost word for word, each day... um?... and I knew that it was Mike's idea for Ken to "thank" Alex after each show, I dug a bit deeper and came to a conclusion which works for me. Perhaps this is as simple as doing something to honour Alex on a temporary basis until they figure out how to do something more permanent, if that's what they plan to do...? I'd vote yes to some sort of acknowledgment at the end of the show, like the current dedication. If they wanted to be creative, they could add an Alexism of some sort each episode - the same as the Chuck Lorre msg at the end of Big Bang Theory. Like closing credits, which most people don't read unless there's a reason that inspires them to do so.

If the next season starts with a new host, without any evidence of Alex's reign... if that's what J! chooses to do, I'll live.

They're still attaching the dedication at the end of the show, and I wonder if they'll still continue to do so next season. Personally, I think it's a nice touch. Perhaps they can enhance it with a p.s. BE KIND, YOU MOTHERF*CKER. Pardon my sense of humour potty mouth. Alex had a potty mouth, too, but probably not as bad as mine. This isolation isn't enhancing my vocabulary.

I chose to not become sick of hearing Mike's message - what is it? 15 seconds? I'm working on my patience and acceptance these days LOL; rather, I decided that I am (quickly) reminded that our world will be a better place when people are more kind, rather than critical/judgmental/bullyish/etc. And I would really, really like the world to be a better place than it is right now. I worry about my grandkids and what they're going to face.

Affirmations can be life-changing (for some people who choose to believe in the divine, or spiritual), similar to the grace I say before I eat, no matter where I happen to be. It's sacred (to me).

• Love 4

i got FJ.

i got the ts of spring training, Cabin 13, cairn terrier, Downton Abbey and something i can't read, but looks vaguely like port something.

I got the whole category of homophones right.

• Love 4

Finally! I got an FJ this week.  I was seriously headed for the Table for Zero.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I also got the TS of spring training, Cabin 13, Downton Abbey, Cairn Terrier, English Setter, Alaska, and postbellum.  @Katy M, maybe your "port something" was postbellum?

I'm glad they walked back the "back on the road again", since that is not the name or the lyric of the song.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I also got the TS of spring training, Cabin 13, Downton Abbey, Cairn Terrier, English Setter, Alaska, and postbellum.  @Katy M, maybe your "port something" was postbellum?

yep, that was it.  thanks!

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I'm glad they walked back the "back on the road again", since that is not the name or the lyric of the song.

I was already singing "On the Ro-o-oad again..." when Jim said "Back on the road again," and when MR didn't immediately say "No," I thought maybe Willie does add "Back" to a verse or 2 (and I'm not sure he hasn't ever). 
But my real issue is with the amount they eventually deducted from Jim. It looked like my closed captioning said "$3200" which would be twice $1600.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

But my real issue is with the amount they eventually deducted from Jim. It looked like my closed captioning said "$3200" which would be twice $1600.

Wouldn’t that be right? If he gained 1600 when he should have lost 1600, wouldn’t they have to deduct 3200 to make it right? Or was I not paying close enough attention?

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

It was a $1600 clue, so deducting $3200 is correct -- the $1600 they gave him, plus $1600 for an incorrect response.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I was already singing "On the Ro-o-oad again..." when Jim said "Back on the road again," and when MR didn't immediately say "No," I thought maybe Willie does add "Back" to a verse or 2 (and I'm not sure he hasn't ever). 

Right, they deducted the amount they awarded him plus the dollar value of the clue. 

I got spring training, Cabin 13, The Crown (DD), Downton Abbey, English setter, post bellum (antebellum is more famous), and libido (DD). I thought of planes for FJ, though I was pretty sure they were naming them during WW2.

Funny that Jim mentioned Jared Harris's other death on a TV series. I wondered if he was closing in on Sean Bean's "onscreen death" reputation, but if you look at his Cinemorgue wiki, there haven't been that many.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

With Dr. Seuss & his books being much in the news recently,  I found it ironic that Melis told a story about Dr. Seuss' books(her son 'solved" a Jeopardy question by waving his Dr. Seuss book). 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

If I recall correctly, another real world event crapped all over my enjoyment of Jeopardy not that long ago.   I watch Jeopardy as an escape from the real world, not get slapped in the face by it.

Huh? Are you talking about Alex’s death?