Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

The whole centenarians category was a little off to me.  "Here is a picture of George VI's widow with Queen Elizabeth, what did they call her?" and "who was a Senator's mother named Roberta who died recently at 108?" seemed to me like child's play at $1600 and $2000, but Susan seemed very unsure on the Queen Mother and nobody got McCain.  Rose Kennedy was probably about right at $1200 if they were going to require first and last names.

And I think the writers were as surprised as many of us that they missed George Burns, since he was down in the $800 box.  It was "only" 25 years ago that he passed away, and I'm sure I see his name from time to time, say, attached to some aphorism in an otherwise unrelated article.  I would have ranked that clue as tougher than the Queen Mother or Roberta McCain but still would've thought someone could get it.  I wonder how many of my peers would know Burns & Allen.  The WandaVision miniseries, part of the Marvel universe, recently had many people I know talking about older sitcoms and associated comedians, but I didn't notice anyone interested in diving in beyond recognition of some of the standard tropes.  Too bad.  I was lucky that my father would have the 50s/60s blocks from TV Land on many weekend mornings when we kids woke up.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

The whole centenarians category was a little off to me....

...And I think the writers were as surprised as many of us that they missed George Burns, since he was down in the $800 box.

Having missed this episode, I checked J! Archive and looked at the "THEY LIVED TO 100" category. 
Note to self and others: I wonder if George Burns will turn up in the next few months in a similar category (e.g., "Centenarians" or maybe "Born Over 100 Years Ago") since he was a Triple miss. If so, I hope it's a category that can include Beverly Cleary as a Question-answer (i.e., not something like "Born in the 19th Century").

• Love 2
13 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Thank you!  It seems to be available at each currently open branch of the city library except the one around the corner.  Ah well, it's always been said that knowledge comes at a price, or something like that. 😉

Does your library not send things between branches? If something isn't kept at one of the two branches I'm willing to drive to, I can put it on hold at my primary branch and they'll get it from one that has it. Then when I return it, they send it back to the branch it lives at. (Doesn't happen too often since my primary branch is the headquarters and therefore the largest, but it's nice to have it as an option.)

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Does your library not send things between branches? If something isn't kept at one of the two branches I'm willing to drive to, I can put it on hold at my primary branch and they'll get it from one that has it. Then when I return it, they send it back to the branch it lives at. (Doesn't happen too often since my primary branch is the headquarters and therefore the largest, but it's nice to have it as an option.)

They certainly used to.  I ought to check and see whether they're doing it again, but they weren't when they finally reopened a few branches.  I called to ask about a title with only one copy in the system, at a branch that still hasn't reopened.  I was prepared to be told that it wouldn't be possible, but it sounded like the person on the phone thought I had six heads.  "No, we can't do that.  Why would you expect us to?  Why don't you just read something else if they don't have that at your branch?" she asked.  She must've been having a tough day before I called, but yeesh.  I thanked her for her time and got the hell off the phone for both our goods.  A later updated indicated that holds couldn't be filled even from open branches right now.  I get it, but it's frustrating.

37 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Having missed this episode, I checked J! Archive and looked at the "THEY LIVED TO 100" category. 
Note to self and others: I wonder if George Burns will turn up in the next few months in a similar category (e.g., "Centenarians" or maybe "Born Over 100 Years Ago") since he was a Triple miss. If so, I hope it's a category that can include Beverly Cleary as a Question-answer (i.e., not something like "Born in the 19th Century").

Oh, Beverly Cleary.  I was sorry to read that.  Add Olivia de Havilland, something clever about the "super-aging" society in Japan, maybe Roberta McCain too since she was missed too, they can have a whole new category for half the effort!

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 1

I object to accepting "Willie." I looked up the nursery rhyme and every line that references the character says "Willie Winkie." Nowhere does it just call him "Willie."

TS I got: Battlestar Galactica & Adulteration. (Only one TS in the first round! (Which I did not get.))

DDs I got: Lake Erie & Lamentations

And I got FJ. 🙂 

Players were a bit faster tonight, thank goodness. (I still don't understand why it often takes Oz so long to rule on an answer that is clearly right or wrong. Three more days to go.)

I wanna go to the Counterfeit Cheese museum. 🧀

5 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I was prepared to be told that it wouldn't be possible, but it sounded like the person on the phone thought I had six heads.  "No, we can't do that.  Why would you expect us to?  Why don't you just read something else if they don't have that at your branch?" she asked.  She must've been having a tough day before I called, but yeesh.

Well, that was uncalled for. 

• Love 7

Park Themes $400 did not sit well with me.  I feel I have some idea now how saber, for instance, feels about vague or inaccurate canine clues.  As far as the essence of the question, "what is the big park in Manhattan with a carousel," Central Park is obviously the one.  Fine.

But it is not accurate to describe "the carousel that's been in this Manhattan park since 1871."  The one that's there now first operated elsewhere in 1908 and has been in the park since 1951.  It is the fourth to run there, with entirely different animals, machinery, and enclosure from its predecessors.  I think the distinction is important because carousels of that period are individual collections of folk art, very different from one another.  This particular ride is one of four surviving carousels carved by hand in the shop of Solomon Stein and Harry Goldstein, who made major contributions to the Coney Island style of carousel art.  I consider that part of it objectively wrong.

I also dislike the construction "the carousel...plays 'Sidewalks of New York.'"  A carousel doesn't itself play any music, but its band organ does, if it has one.   I admit that's pedantic, but I think it's too bad that these instruments, which can be pretty musically sophisticated, are so often kept in the background.  More importantly, playing "Sidewalks of New York" is not an immutable feature of this organ.

Until recently it used paper rolls like a player piano.  "Sidewalks" is on a roll of evergreen waltzes Wurlitzer kept in stock for years along rolls of popular music to be retired after a few months.  That waltz roll has also been recut many times since Wurlitzer went out of business, so just about everyone has a copy.  But Central Park had many other rolls too.  Its longtime operator was particularly fond of another very widely distributed roll, featuring popular music of the 60s/70s, and played it daily for years.

A few years ago, the organ was hooked up to a new mechanism using MIDI files derived from many rolls, allowing for more music without making time to change them or dealing with wear on the paper.  Dollars to donuts, "Sidewalks" is in the rotation.  So it's not factually wrong to say that it's played.  My preference, however, would have been "songs including 'Sidewalks'" or something like that.  It's just a weird thing of mine.  So many profiles on carousels and organs vaguely describe some bygone melody, when there's such a rich library of music for open ears.

Now, how many people in their audiences happen to write a column for an enthusiast organization's journal, have prepared interpretive materials for historic carousels and band organs, etc.?  The list of people to whom these distinctions are important must be pretty short.  I'm used to just about any print or television news story in this category getting a factual detail wrong or characterizing something in a way I don't agree with, and am training myself just to be grateful for the publicity.

But while I don't expect the writers to get into the weeds over subjective matters of interest to niche groups, it does disappoint me that they would miss something like the distinction between the original 1871 carousel and the current one, which is apparent after a skim of any of the first several results for "Central Park carousel" on Google.  I think they might have come up with "Sidewalks" from a New York Times article associating the carousel with nostalgia, and naming several of the tunes from that old waltz roll.  Fair enough.  1871, though, was just not great.  This is the big celebration of trivia and fact!  I think they could do better.

(Otherwise, I actually enjoyed the episode quite a bit!)

• Useful 7
  • Love 2

FJ was an instaget.

I got the ts of Malachi and Battlestar Galactica (a guess).

I got the entire category of Old testament right.

I think there should have been a BMS for Wee Willie Winkie.

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I agree - William should not have been accepted but that host seems to have a habit of accepting bad answers. 

he paused before accepting so I think he got the OK from the judges.

57 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Park Themes $400 did not sit well with me....

Now, how many people in their audiences happen to write a column for an enthusiast organization's journal, have prepared interpretive materials for historic carousels and band organs, etc.?  The list of people to whom these distinctions are important must be pretty short. 

I've not seen the carousel in Central Park, but I have seen the one at Trimper's in Ocean City, MD.  https://www.secretsoftheeasternshore.com/book-excerpt-trimpers-carousel/

It's gorgeous.

I had no idea for FJ, except that I knew it wasn't (peanut butter mouth) Aaron Burr.  "Booth" should not have been accepted, though.  Might have been referring to his brother, Edwin. or the long-lost cousin, Kit.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I had no idea for FJ, except that I knew it wasn't (peanut butter mouth) Aaron Burr.  "Booth" should not have been accepted, though.  Might have been referring to his brother, Edwin.

But if it referred to Edwin it would still be right because they asked for "father of this man."  So, he was father to both of them.  As for Kit Booth, I've never heard of him, so probably not well enough known.  I mean you could say that about any just last name.  Name the first president?  Washington.  He could have meant my neighbor Bob Washington.

No FJ for me tonight.  It took me too long to figure out what they were asking, and by the time I figured out who "this man" was, time was up.  Oh well.

I did get Battlestar Galactica and adulteration, though.  

It wouldn't have hurt my feelings if all three had lost tonight.  Between Bryce's interesting gestures, Jean's "Alright!" when picking the next clue, and the other woman's swaying (and the guest host), this game was tough to watch.

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, Katy M said:

But if it referred to Edwin it would still be right because they asked for "father of this man."  So, he was father to both of them.  As for Kit Booth, I've never heard of him, so probably not well enough known.  I mean you could say that about any just last name.  Name the first president?  Washington.  He could have meant my neighbor Bob Washington.

The clue asked specifically for "the future father of this man."  Junius Booth wrote the letter in 1835.  At that time he was the current father of Edwin, born in 1833.  Only his 11th and 12th children were men born after 1835, John and Joseph, the latter of whom is not well remembered.  I would have been perfectly happy with "Who is Booth?" but think "Who is Edwin Booth?" would have to be marked wrong.

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've not seen the carousel in Central Park, but I have seen the one at Trimper's in Ocean City, MD.  It's gorgeous.

I'm glad you have!  It really is gorgeous.  The link tells the story well.  More carousels by Herschell-Spillman have survived than by Stein & Goldstein.  I really enjoy the whimsical animals they included in addition to the horses, and the gorgeous jewel-tone scenery paintings.  There was a hostile takeover by another branch of the Trimper family during the 2019-2020 offseason, and I sure hope the new owners take as good care of the carousel and the other interesting pieces of history there as those who came before them.

• Useful 1

I was rooting for Jean because she was so nervous for the first few minutes of the game her hand was shaking, but that FJ answer was ... something.

The Vertigo TS surprised me a bit, as did adulteration going unanswered.

I do not know much about Kipling's works, so only correctly guessed two clues in that category.  I also missed three in moguls.  I ran the other categories in the first round.

In DJ, I - to the surprise of absolutely no one - didn't get a single clue in the Old Testament category.  Other than that, all I missed were two rivers.

I didn't get FJ, though.  I didn't even have a guess, but when the answer was revealed, I said aloud, "Oh, that makes sense."

• Love 1

I was so proud of what I thought was my instaget FJ, but I guess “Who is the father of John Wilkes Booth?” would have been wrong ––although maybe not with Oz. Plain “Booth” was smart after “Willie” was accepted. 
And I like to think the winner will be able to pay off medical school with his winnings.

I was indignant about just “Willie” rather than “Wee Willie Winkie” without even a prompt from Oz to “be more specific,” but I guess there isn’t a prompt for when the response is incomplete?

BSG = Battlestar Galactic was instaget.  

I would have run the Old Testament category if I hadn’t been taking a picture of the sunset when they gave the categories and then was left wondering what “Old” was. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

As for Kit Booth, I've never heard of him, so probably not well enough known. 

I have to say, this gave me one good hearty laugh. I expect it did as well for some of you other old timers.

Carousel lovers, are you familiar with the largest carousel in the world? It's in Spring Green, Wisconsin, not far from me. I haven't been there for many years, though, and they keep expanding and adding things. My favorite was always the self-playing instruments, we would put in our quarters and dance in the hallways where the machines were. Other tourists would give us a wide berth, but it was lots of fun.

House on the Rock

• Love 6
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I have to say, this gave me one good hearty laugh. I expect it did as well for some of you other old timers.

Carousel lovers, are you familiar with the largest carousel in the world? It's in Spring Green, Wisconsin, not far from me. I haven't been there for many years, though, and they keep expanding and adding things. My favorite was always the self-playing instruments, we would put in our quarters and dance in the hallways where the machines were. Other tourists would give us a wide berth, but it was lots of fun.

House on the Rock

I haven’t been in decades, but I used to love the House on the Rock!  

• Love 3
12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I object to accepting "Willie." I looked up the nursery rhyme and every line that references the character says "Willie Winkie." Nowhere does it just call him "Willie."

I didn't care for it either.

18 hours ago, 853fisher said:

They certainly used to.  I ought to check and see whether they're doing it again, but they weren't when they finally reopened a few branches.  I called to ask about a title with only one copy in the system, at a branch that still hasn't reopened.  I was prepared to be told that it wouldn't be possible, but it sounded like the person on the phone thought I had six heads.  "No, we can't do that.  Why would you expect us to?  Why don't you just read something else if they don't have that at your branch?" she asked.  She must've been having a tough day before I called, but yeesh.  I thanked her for her time and got the hell off the phone for both our goods.  A later updated indicated that holds couldn't be filled even from open branches right now.  I get it, but it's frustrating.

You're being generous. As a former librarian, I apologize. And whoever it was sure doesn't seem like a reader - "just read something else" is a very strange thing to say for anyone who is a reader.

I ran the abbreviated TV category, which amazed me as I'm usually not great at acronyms.

FJ wasn't exactly an instaget, but "performing" and a threat on a president got me there pretty quickly. It makes JWB a bit more understandable, given that he grew up with a father like that.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I was indignant about just “Willie” rather than “Wee Willie Winkie” without even a prompt from Oz to “be more specific,” but I guess there isn’t a prompt for when the response is incomplete?

That annoyed me too. I also thought that the Kim Kardashian clue was too easy for it’s money value. At times you couldn’t get through the grocery store check out line without her being on at least one magazine cover. My game was so so and of course I missed FJ. 

• Love 6

I am one more who was annoyed about Wee Willie Winkie.

My only ts was the final one of the game, adulteration.

I did get FJ although it was not an instaget.  Now I can relax for the rest of the week since I won't be skunked🙂

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Actually, Oz said it once, which surprised the hell out of me.  Of course, I can't remember what it was in reference to.

Lived to 100: Kennedy---needed "Rose".

• Love 1
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Lived to 100: Kennedy---needed "Rose".

I'm not sure Oz prompted the contestant directly on that one.  I think she said "Who is Kennedy?" and either an off-screen look or simply his lack of response prompted her to add Rose.  I guess that's a prompt, in its own way, but I've typed those sentences now, so why waste them? 😉

18 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Carousel lovers, are you familiar with the largest carousel in the world? It's in Spring Green, Wisconsin, not far from me.

I'd like to get out there!  Thanks for reminding me.  My regular traveling companions have suggested that they just aren't interested, and I haven't explored what else might be around there to lure them in with.  I enjoy solo trips too, so who knows?  I understand the carousel served as an important plot device in the TV adaptation of Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" for Starz, so knowing how the writers love premium TV lately, maybe we'll get a photo as a clue sometime!

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 1

I don't know about you guys but Bryce was annoying the heck out of me.  He seemed to buzz in on every single clue, if he knew it or not.  Half the time he stuttered his way to a wrong answer.  The new champion woman was all business throughout the show.  Not one smile was cracked.

I was glad Bryce lost.  He was too nerve wracking.  

• Love 4

I'm shocked that no one got FJ!  "9/11" lead me to NY and "I (heart) NY" came to mind immediately. I guess when they heard "logo", they thought "company" and tried to come up with companies with logos (do J&J and FedEx even have logos?). Oh well, an asterisk for me.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, illdoc said:

do J&J and FedEx even have logos?

Fed Ex has a famous one. Everyone is always excited the first time they notice the arrow between the E and the X

4691BF5F-C241-469F-9D28-1D583F0D287E.jpeg

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I said Arm and Hammer.  I did not know. I was in good company.

I got the ts of fifth, Greeley, rood and Bernini.

I got the entire categories of animals, kitchen measurements and surnames right.

I feel like I should have gotten FJ, but I did not.  I said the Big Apple.  I have no idea if that's even a logo.  But I think of "I ❤️ New York" as more of a slogan than a logo anyway.

The only TS I got were Wrangler, and produce produce.  

I am also not sad that Bryce lost.  

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, opus said:

Fed Ex has a famous one. Everyone is always excited the first time they notice the arrow between the E and the X

4691BF5F-C241-469F-9D28-1D583F0D287E.jpeg

Also wasn’t  FedEx  Ken Jennings’s famously wrong answer?  I think other contestants have used that when they had no idea.

I thought the “bruise” part of the clue was pointing to “the big Apple”. Well, at least I was in the right city. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
23 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

I don't know about you guys but Bryce was annoying the heck out of me.  He seemed to buzz in on every single clue, if he knew it or not.  Half the time he stuttered his way to a wrong answer.

Well, he ended after dj in first place, so it was working for him.  Until FJ.

19 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I'm shocked that no one got FJ!  "9/11" lead me to NY and "I (heart) NY" came to mind immediately. I guess when they heard "logo", they thought "company" and tried to come up with companies with logos (do J&J and FedEx even have logos?). Oh well, an asterisk for me.

I was actually trying to think of a fashion logo.  Because of the word designer. Yes, I know, he designed the logo, but once you get something in your head, you don't have time to get it out.  And, yes I know Arm and Hammer has nothing to do with fashion, but I switched gears to thinking about strong at the last second when I couldn't think of anything.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The only TS I got were Wrangler,

Sort of embarrassing story on that one.  First of all, I didn't get what ranch dressing meant until the last clue.  I got the last 2 right, but at the last one, I was like oh I get it dressing, what they're wearing.  So, I said Paul Newman for the wrangler clue, because I thought they were talkinga bout salad dressing and I don't know.  I would not have rung in had I been there.  At least I hope not.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Ran Animals, Kitchen Measurements and Ranch Dressing
TS: wrangler, fifth, (probably would have gotten Tiffany Haddish but I looked up too late to get a good look at the picture)
Got two of the DDs but no FJ.

• Love 1

FJ: I went with Uncle Sam Wants You (more than ever)

Since Amy Sedaris didn't write "Me Talk Pretty One Day" I guess it's OK that they didn't ask for BMS for her brother David, who DID write it. Personally, I think Amy's stuff is funnier than David's.

Only 2 more days of the Land of Oz.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Clanstarling said:
On 3/30/2021 at 2:11 PM, 853fisher said:

You're being generous. As a former librarian, I apologize. And whoever it was sure doesn't seem like a reader - "just read something else" is a very strange thing to say for anyone who is a reader.

As a retired librarian, I too apologize. But what I apologize for is the professional library staff not adequately supervising those without library degrees (or common decency) who are answering the phones. A student who worked in the college library with me was always telling people she was "a librarian." 

• Love 2
(edited)

10 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Since Amy Sedaris didn't write "Me Talk Pretty One Day" I guess it's OK that they didn't ask for BMS for her brother David, who DID write it. Personally, I think Amy's stuff is funnier than David's.

"Who is Sedaris?" needed a "be more specific." I guess Oz does not know of Amy Sedaris and just saw "David Sedaris" and thought it was good enough. No, IMO, it's not, and this is why he should never be more than a guest host. [end of rant]
I stand corrected: https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/111452-jeopardy-season-37-2020-2021/?do=findComment&comment=6694802

However, I did relate to Oz for once when he mentioned you had to be old enough to know "a fifth." In high school, after my slightly older, only boyfriend was sent to Vietnam, a friend used to get her older brother to buy us a fifth of Scotch on weekends, which she would let me drink by myself. If my parents noticed, they never said, but they did send me on a 2 week visit in the summer to another friend who had moved away.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

I'm shocked that no one got FJ!  "9/11" lead me to NY and "I (heart) NY" came to mind immediately. I guess when they heard "logo", they thought "company" and tried to come up with companies with logos (do J&J and FedEx even have logos?).

Hope the electrical charge from that shock didn't ruin your hairdo. I got a big laugh out of FedEx. If Ken had been hosting, he would have had a laugh too. I know Milton Glaser is Push Pin Studio -- I'll bet you guys didn't know that -- but I had no idea that I heart New York was a paid logo. But Glaser's work has never been what I call groundbreakingly clever.

I guess none of the three players wear jeans. Funny they knew ass-less chaps but not Wrangler jeans.

Bryce was one of my favorite players for so many reasons. Sorry to see him go. At least he got some nice cash out of a good run.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Who is Sedaris?" needed a "be more specific." I guess Oz does not know of Amy Sedaris and just saw "David Sedaris" and thought it was good enough.

The clue did contain the word “his”,  so maybe that’s why.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
(edited)

I got FJ by the skin of my teeth.  "Logo" had me thinking about businesses, and I considered a few directly affected like the airlines (although I knew it couldn't be the United tulip because that was Saul Bass) or Cantor Fitzgerald, the financial services firm with offices just above the impact zone in the North Tower: everyone who reported to work that day was killed, 2 out of 3 of their employees in New York.  Then the idea of adding words to it pointed my mind more toward slogans and mottos.  I don't know that the mark on the heart looks like a bruise, but I couldn't think of anything else.

I hadn't thought of a fifth as an older-fashioned measure.  When I first drank in college at a big "party school," everyone called a 750ml bottle of spirits a fifth.  I don't drink liquor at home anymore, but that's what I'd call it if I went to buy some now.  I am in my late 20s, but a bit eccentric and often immersed in history, so admittedly I am perhaps not the right person to report on what the kids are saying.

It was interesting to see how the closed captioning rendered the heteronymic pairs.  Neat way to make that part especially accessible, although some of what they ended up with was a little tortured.

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

There's the Dickeyville Grotto which is a fun stop for non-reverent people. Oh, and religious folk too. But it's more fun if you're not.

Danke schön!  About half our little group is religious, but not terribly austere, thank goodness.

And thank you to our librarians too!  I'm very grateful for what you all do.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 4

Great close game after a nice comeback by Bryce.  In addition to being the lone woman, Emily was wearing a shirt I also own, so I was rooting for her even though I would miss Bryce's mannerisms when he answers. 

FJ being a TS surprised me, as did produce produce and Wrangler.  Fifth a bit, too.

I ran the heteronyms category; I love those kind of clues.  In fact, I almost ran the entire first round, but I missed two in paint.  

In DJ, though, I was terrible at movies and English drama, missing three in each category.  I only ran world capitals and Native American history, but at least I only missed two others among the remaining categories - like the contestants, I failed to come up with rood or Greeley.

FJ wasn't an instaget, but I reasoned my way to it quickly -- Okay, "Something New York/New York Something More Than Ever".  A-ha: I ❤️ NY.

• Love 3

FJ was pretty close to an instaget for me, and my first asterisk this season (I am pretty sure)!!!

I also don't really think of I ❤️ NY as a logo, and I don't recall seeing the modified one post-9/11, but the phrasing of "more than ever" got me there quickly.

Also - I got the Chumash question because of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I honestly didn't even know (before tonight) if they were a real tribe or one made up by the show. But, I do know the state that BtVS takes place in!

• Love 5

I don't understand why "primer" is pronounced "primmer" when it's a "first" textbook.  I was amused at PROduce/proDUCE, as Alex would often pronounce it PRODuce. (I think it's a Canadian thing)

I got Wrangler immediately. When I was in high school, they were the only pants I'd wear in my off hours - knee-length, rolled up, wheat-colored.  I had a tan line just above my knees. They fit my waist & "hips" beautifully.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't understand why "primer" is pronounced "primmer" when it's a "first" textbook.

Me neither.  The first time the fantastic Judy Woodruff on the NewsHour said "primmer," which is the only other place I've heard it spoken, I thought, goodness, how embarrassing. 😉 I understand the other pronunciation is more common in British English.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't understand why "primer" is pronounced "primmer" when it's a "first" textbook.  I was amused at PROduce/proDUCE, as Alex would often pronounce it PRODuce. (I think it's a Canadian thing)

21 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Me neither.  The first time the fantastic Judy Woodruff on the NewsHour said "primmer," which is the only other place I've heard it spoken, I thought, goodness, how embarrassing. 😉 I understand the other pronunciation is more common in British English.

I have always thought primmer was the pronunciation for an introductory text, and it has bugged me no end to hear it pronounced like a coat of paint. Are there really places where “prymer” is the accepted pronunciation?

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I have always thought primmer was the pronunciation for an introductory text, and it has bugged me no end to hear it pronounced like a coat of paint. Are there really places where “prymer” is the accepted pronunciation?

Yes, my apartment at one time, but it's not a high class joint. 😉  After Judy pronounced it the way I found unfamiliar a second time, it occurred to me that I might want to check a dictionary, or a spoken word pri... never mind.

• LOL 5

At first FJ had me trying to think of a famous image, but I knew it would be NY related and “more than ever” led me to the correct answer of “I ❤️NY.” I then spent the rest of the 30 seconds thinking “But is that a logo? It’s a slogan but I don’t know if I’d call it a logo... It fits the clue though so I’ll go with that!” 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Yes, my apartment at one time, but it's not a high class joint. 😉  After Judy pronounced it the way I found unfamiliar a second time, it occurred to me that I might want to check a dictionary, or a spoken word pri... never mind.

Well, my first grade teacher definitely assigned me readings from my “preprimmer” not my “preprymer”. But then I guess I’m an old fogey who says zo-ology, not zoo-ology, and thinks there’s a difference between wine and whine. So I guess I’ll stop whining and get back to my wine. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3