Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Cabin Fever

• Start Topic

Here’s what really pisses me off. Malia has this “duty” to report illegal drugs to Sandy. From what we have seen, she did not do that immediately upon finding out Hannah was using them. Instead, she invaded Hannah’s privacy, goes through her things and takes pictures to then send to Sandy at least 36 hours later. Those who watched sailing yacht know that drugs should be reported to the captain and the captain then informs the person allegedly in possession of them and asks to search their belongings. So for Malia, I guess it’s maritime law to report drugs but never mind rules of personal privacy on a boat. 

• Love 22
1 hour ago, TeeMo said:

I am a long-standing member of the “Hannah is Awful” club but I am 100% Team Hannah in this cabin debate. Malia is being completely unreasonable. And what kind of dumbass rule is this that couples must room together? With the way these people hook up and break up that is just asking for chaos. 

Sandy said that the chef has seniority over the rest of the crew , so he gets to pick his cabin mate. Is this true?

Why should Hannah & Bugsy be forced to be together ?

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I soooo wish that Captain Lee would offer up his professional opinion of all of this.  But, he probably won't, because if there is any kind of production manipulation (which it seems to be, at least in part),  he basically can't chime in without breaking the fourth wall or jeopardizing his own position.  

But, I BET that sweet Marianne is getting an earful of "Lee-isms"!!!!  

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
6 minutes ago, esco1822 said:

Here’s what really pisses me off. Malia has this “duty” to report illegal drugs to Sandy. From what we have seen, she did not do that immediately upon finding out Hannah was using them. Instead, she invaded Hannah’s privacy, goes through her things and takes pictures to then send to Sandy at least 36 hours later. Those who watched sailing yacht know that drugs should be reported to the captain and the captain then informs the person allegedly in possession of them and asks to search their belongings. So for Malia, I guess it’s maritime law to report drugs but never mind rules of personal privacy on a boat. 

Isn't Hannah allowed to have a prescription for Valium ?

• Love 11
1 minute ago, oakville said:

Sandy said that the chef has seniority over the rest of the crew , so he gets to pick his cabin mate. Is this true?

I don't remember that from any other seasons of any Below Deck show.  If I recall correctly, it seemed mostly that the Chief Stew did the cabin assignments and mates.  I know that several times people switched up during the season, but I don't ever remember the chef choosing first and then everyone else is assigned after.  

Kate even bunked with Leon for a while in that awful season!  

• Useful 2
  • Love 18
4 minutes ago, oakville said:

I do think that is true but it still doesn’t necessarily mean that Hannah and Bugsy has to room together. Neither Jess nor her man (I don’t remember his name) have any seniority over anyone so they should have to sleep where they are assigned. I assume they were trying to avoid mixed cabins which is why they didn’t suggest that Jess stay with Hannah and Bugsy stay with Jess’ man. I also noticed that for all the talk of “the chef gets to choose” Tom didn’t actually say anything about any of it himself so in this case it was “the chef’s girlfriend gets to choose.” 

• Love 22
27 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Sandy is a lying sack of shit.

Malia is a snake who went through Hannah’s purse 👛 in a fit of spite.

So much for women in authority. It has been like crabs in a bucket. There have never been so many ill advised firings in all of the rest of the history of this franchise.

Sandy is trash.

Love the crabs in bucket analogy, they will rip eachothers limbs off and feast until the bucket is empty and the last one is to be boiled alive."Them" being Sandy, Melia and Bugsy.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, esco1822 said:

Here’s what really pisses me off. Malia has this “duty” to report illegal drugs to Sandy.

Valium isn’t illegal.  And it’s not a narcotic, either.  It’s a prescribed med.  

I don’t think it’s a problem to bring prescription meds on board, but I think you’re supposed to inform the captain so she or he knows.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

Malia and Sandy are nasty cunts, and Bugsy isn’t much better. After this I am OUT on this fucking wreck of a show. Sandy Yawn, so aptly names for her boring personality, is a bully who needs sycophants like Malia licking her boots to make her feel like somebody. And Malia is a fucking twat. I can’t watch this show anymore. Fuck these bitches. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 21

I stopped watching this season 2 episodes ago but am still following this trainwreck. 

Are we supposed to believe a veteran like Hannah wouldn't know the rules of bring medication on board? So disgusted on how staged the season is by the producers. Sandy and Malia look so bad going along with this like it totally makes sense! I don't mind Bugsy so much. She does seem focused on her job and not so involved with causing drama.

Personally, I think Hannah is just dialing it in this season but I totally feel bad for her by the shitty treatment she is getting in all directions. I'm glad for her sake, she'll be off the boat soon and she has something worthwhile in her life to look forward to soon.

On the other hand, I feel like Sandy and Malia will be villainized for quite awhile.......deservedly.  Professionally, Malia is good at her job but she is such a hypocrite and entitled. I thought that way about her in season 2 when she acted all innocent about the love triangle she was "stuck" in. 

• Love 22
36 minutes ago, OHW said:

I stopped watching this season 2 episodes ago but am still following this trainwreck. 

Are we supposed to believe a veteran like Hannah wouldn't know the rules of bring medication on board? So disgusted on how staged the season is by the producers. Sandy and Malia look so bad going along with this like it totally makes sense! I don't mind Bugsy so much. She does seem focused on her job and not so involved with causing drama.

Personally, I think Hannah is just dialing it in this season but I totally feel bad for her by the shitty treatment she is getting in all directions. I'm glad for her sake, she'll be off the boat soon and she has something worthwhile in her life to look forward to soon.

On the other hand, I feel like Sandy and Malia will be villainized for quite awhile.......deservedly.  Professionally, Malia is good at her job but she is such a hypocrite and entitled. I thought that way about her in season 2 when she acted all innocent about the love triangle she was "stuck" in. 

I agree wholeheartedly about the orchestration and I’m curious how detailed it all was and how many were in the know. I definitely think the triumvirate of Sandy, Bugsy, and Malia was set and was part of selling them on this season, with the added incentive of them all teaming up against Hannah. Maybe not in getting her fired, but definitely in at least demoting her. Just any way to gang up and humiliate her.

I do wonder if Hannah was in on it at all. Obviously not the reveal of the meds, I think that was just a lucky find on Malia’s part and maybe she’ll get a bonus for lining up the kill shot. But overall I do wonder if Hannah was given some idea, though i’m assuming she caught on right quick when Bugsy reappeared.

My biggest question is how did Bravo think this was going to sell. Did they think that the Hannah hate was enough to balance out Sandy/Malia/Bugsy behaving horribly and stupidly and so very unlikeable? Did the women know how much they’d be villainized, because the way they’re all doubling down, I get the impression they think they should each be crowned and Hannah stoned? Overall, I’m just curious if this is all playing out how they each expected. The show is certainly not gaining viewers, Hannah is likely the happiest she’s been in a long time, where’s the win here? 

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Useful 3
  • Love 15
38 minutes ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

The show is certainly not gaining viewers,

I think the show’s considered a hit.  It does pretty well in the ratings, and I think it rates even higher than Below Deck OG.  (Don’t get it).  It’ll be interesting to see if the ratings fall after this week, though.  Tons of SM posts from angry ppl. saying they’re done with the show, but are they?  People always say that, but do they stop watching?  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Based on IG, yes yes she does. She is the type of person who thinks wacky fashion choices equals a personality.

LOL I haven’t seen her Instagram but I have seen her gorgeous tablescapes maybe she practices on her head 🦄

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Well that went down just about the way I expected it to go down from the previews.

Malia throws a tantrum over not being able to share bunks with their boyfriends.

Bugsy immediately uses the new rooming situation to take pictures of Hannah's medication and text Sandy.

All that really surprised me was

the level of tantrum Malia threw

Sandy humoring Malia's tantrum over the radio instead of talking to Hannah.

Malia and Bugsy were both in on turning Hannah in (from WWHL).  I thought it would be one or the other.

I am completely convinced that Malia, Bugsy, and Sandy conspired on this one.

I think I'm out after this week.

Of course that was all so faux.  Sandy would be privately sitting reading her emails and sees the photo, and it’s all caught on camera including her wow reaction...give us a fricken break 🤯

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
28 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

I think the show’s considered a hit.  It does pretty well in the ratings, and I think it rates even higher than Below Deck OG.  (Don’t get it).  It’ll be interesting to see if the ratings fall after this week, though.  Tons of SM posts from angry ppl. saying they’re done with the show, but are they?  People always say that, but do they stop watching?  

I watched Below Deck from the very beginning and after a few seasons couldn’t anymore but came back to it and more last year but I think I might just about be done between this and the bru crew.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, FlyingEgret said:

Surprise, surprise... this is not playing out as the previews showed.  Does the Maritime Rulebook also have laws about couples getting everything they want?

Malia said on WWHL that there is no such rule.  It’s a question of whether the captain and crew wan t make accommodations for the couple.

So cabingate was typical Bravo BS.  They just wanted that confrontation.  For all we know Hanna didn’t care but she played along to cause this fake conflict.  Did Malia say “man the fuck up” o Hanna directly or in the TH?

Oh and I don’t buy the bf just happening to visit when they need a chef.  With a fully booked charter season would they really dump a chef without a replacement or alternate lined up?

what would Sandy have done if there wasn’t a Michelin star quality chef available?  BTW anyone who could get a Michelin Star would open his own place, probably get financial backers because those places mint money, not work on a cramped boat by himself without souls chefs.

So the chef switch was planned and scripted and Hannah’s exit is also planned.  Hannah seems either over the show or at least on good terms with Bravo, meaning she is okay with how her departure will be depicted

• Love 13
5 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Fuck your Sandy. Fuck you Malia. Fuck you Bugsy. Fuck the hell off. Gah!!

You know this is all a show right?

The situations are contrived to evoke strong reactions , which almost always means casting some characters as villains.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, scrb said:

Malia said on WWHL that there is no such rule.  It’s a question of whether the captain and crew wan t make accommodations for the couple.

So cabingate was typical Bravo BS.  They just wanted that confrontation.  For all we know Hanna didn’t care but she played along to cause this fake conflict.  Did Malia say “man the fuck up” o Hanna directly or in the TH?

Oh and I don’t buy the bf just happening to visit when they need a chef.  With a fully booked charter season would they really dump a chef without a replacement or alternate lined up?

what would Sandy have done if there wasn’t a Michelin star quality chef available?  BTW anyone who could get a Michelin Star would open his own place, probably get financial backers because those places mint money, not work on a cramped boat by himself without souls chefs.

So the chef switch was planned and scripted and Hannah’s exit is also planned.  Hannah seems either over the show or at least on good terms with Bravo, meaning she is okay with how her departure will be depicted

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ for your post my sentiments exactly ❣️

i also have wondered if this is being played out for the benefit of Hannah ~ kind of a farewell tribute because they’re finally making her the viewers favourite.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, scrb said:

Exactly, as soon as Malia started spewing the "we were hired as a couple" nonsense, I knew it was scripted. In reality, Malia (who DOES know the ship's rules) was presenting such an over the top reaction to not sharing a cabin for 2 weeks with her 'man', that I immediately didn't buy it. Heck, even Malia didn't believe what she was saying (and Sandy needs to remember to pretend to pander to her crew rather than TLC). 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Rhetorica said:

Malia is just so fucking smug. I hope she has her comeuppance...

In this episode (with Bugsy in the kitchen) and in the earlier one (with Sandy) she keeps talking about "standards" as if she is the high and mighty perfect exemplar of "yachting standards." Smug is just the right word. I've liked her earlier, but her promotion has gone to her head.

• Love 10

Bravo is getting exactly what they want. All of this attention and talk generates viewship and ratings. They don't care one bit if we hate Sandy and Malia. That's the way all of these reality shows operate. I just hate that when we finally get a female bosun we get one like Malia who has a tantrum, runs to "mommy" and gets her way all because she can't be without her man for 2 weeks. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
6 hours ago, OHW said:

I am going to guess that Hannah assumed Sandy knew about the valium since Sandy knows about her panic attacks and has for a couple of seasons.Im pretty sure Sandy knew about Valium then

• Love 12
5 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

Right,  I turned off the episode about half way thru last night.  I just can't stand Malia. Didn't like her the first time she was on.  Sandy is just too much this time around.  Sorry to Milias man but I don't give a fuck about him.  Call it guilt by association or whatever.  

Oddly Bugsy isn't bothering me as much as her first time on. She's a bit of a try hard,  but there's nothing wrong with wanting to do a good job.  

I'll probably finish the season at some point,  but I'm too annoyed to watch right now.  Sandy should be ashamed.  

• Love 9

I am  loathe to comment before watching, but I wanted to read the comments ahead of actually viewing the episode.  BD/BDM used to be a wonderful escape to beautiful locales, but in the last year it has done nothing more than raise my blood pressure and wish to see Tamra Barney acting the fool in beachy locales rather than the misogynist assholes hired to staff a yacht.  And I'm no fan of that possum-faced fool.

So I will be skipping this and watching the comments here to see if Bugsy, Malia, and Sandy get their cumuppance.   I've commented before that I wanted Sandy to be great--a woman in a traditionally male role--but was let down at nearly every turn.  Then it dawned on me: her one talent is backing into tight parking spaces.  It's been my life long belief that backing into parking spaces is the mark of the devil.  So, despite the probably nautical need to back into slips, her innate talent for that one thing--and ONLY that one thing--has proven to me that she's just plain evil.  And the whole Covid downplaying BS didn't help. 

8 hours ago, mbaywife123 said:

Thank You also for posting about Melia or Bugs going thru Hannah's purse and posting pictures of said alleged "narcotics", total,invasion of privacy and I hope Hannah grabs Bravo by the balls and sues under HIPPA privacy rights.

Inasmuch as I would love for Hannah to have something actionable, HIPAA isn't going to work here (not to mention the usual Bravo contract language about precluding suits against other cast members).  That piece of legislation guards against a patient's privacy being violated by a health care provider or insurer in the US.  Better international legal minds than mine could make an argument about privacy laws in Spain/Greece/wherever they were or in general, but that is likely obviated by the Bravo contract, which no doubt has been vetted by lawyers with international law expertise.

Anyway, I like Hannah about as much as I like Kate: only so-so, but I enjoy their TV personalities, and like the continuity they bring to the show.  But Hannah was done dirty since the start of this season, just like Kate was in her last season.  I don't like this Bravo trend.  In fact, Bravo's airing of the *original* MDL season kicked my brain into nostalgia gear, and that early aughts, when things were nice (remember the original QE aired here), were the best times.  And if Bravo is wanting to do dirty deeds to OGs to cut their salary budget, I have suggestions....ditch Sandy, ditch all things Jeff Lewis, ditch Kyle Richards, ditch all the OC, and ditch Andy Cohen.

• Love 20
5 hours ago, scrb said:

You know this is all a show right?

The situations are contrived to evoke strong reactions , which almost always means casting some characters as villains.

Yes I do. What is your point? Everyone else seems to be having the same reaction, so was there something in my post that caused your particular response? I am not trying to be snippy. Just asking. 

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, Onecattoo said:

Top Chef, I guess. 

They played an On Demand commercial for Top Chef All Stars and I wistfully remembered when I enjoyed a Bravo show without any vindictiveness and back stabbing-TC All Stars was wonderful. 

I'm done after last night. I will read the Vulture recaps and listen to the Watch What Crappens podcast, because I got too mad watching a reality show that has no bearing on my actual life. 

Malia: First, she disabled comments on her IG, but I read some before she did and not one in support after the show aired (she apparently deletes negative comments, but was on WWHL so I figured she didn't have time). Second, for all her "I'm so strong, I'm not afraid of Hannah", she immediately ran to the captain and whined and all of the sudden, she gets her wish. Part of being a strong adult is realizing you can't get everything you want (particularly at the expense of others). Actually-that is just being an adult, strong or not.  And lastly (for now), her argument was that she and Tom came in as a team. He joined the boat the day before-calm down. She's so selfish and childish. 

Bugs: She also put up two IG posts and took them down (I am in far too many Bravo FB groups) about how she suffers from mild depression and you never know what someone is going through (to be fair, her attached picture had ZERO accessories, so that might be a sign). Shouldn't that make her more sympathetic to Hannah? Hannah certainly lived rent free in many of their heads on the day off. 

Sandy: Of course, I already disliked her, but she is so unprofessional. I would love to hear what she said on her live social media things last night, but I can't find anyone that watched it. I still don't understand the prescription drug thing. I've said before I have diabetes and sometimes I have low blood sugar-so because that can alter my mood, I need to run to Sandy every time I eat carbs and ask her for some? Last I heard, Sandy does not have a degree in endocrinology and I think I would know better than Sandy. And serious question-has a boss ever hugged anyone here after getting hired? I know it is a reality show, but Lee would never do that. Just because she is a woman doesn't make it ok, but she is the poster child for unprofessionalism. I'm proud of Hannah-if I was trying to lay down and she invaded my space, I don't think I would be that nice. 

I texted my friends last night "Please don't ever make me a sex room." I found that creepy (not that sex was creepy but it was just odd that a friend/coworker and a coworker who  never met my boyfriend would do that) and somehow juvenile-perhaps it was the T + M in table stones. 

I very much enjoy Alex and he seems like a good guy-hopefully I can catch him on a later Below Deck.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Chalby said:

Exactly, as soon as Malia started spewing the "we were hired as a couple" nonsense, I knew it was scripted. In reality, Malia (who DOES know the ship's rules) was presenting such an over the top reaction to not sharing a cabin for 2 weeks with her 'man', that I immediately didn't buy it. Heck, even Malia didn't believe what she was saying (and Sandy needs to remember to pretend to pander to her crew rather than TLC). 

I'm thinking about how Malia insisted, more than once, that "they were hired as a couple". I think that may in fact be true.

They were hired as a couple before any of this began and then the rest of the drama was scripted to play out. Not to say the producers knew exactly how it was going to go, scripts on reality tv are generally just a sketching out of possible plot directions. But I think that Kiko was hired because of his inexperience and that his firing was in the plan all along (Sandy finding ways to pick at him even when he was doing well) and that Tom's "hiring" was also part of the deal. Thus Malia insisting they were hired as a couple.

Separate note, Malia tried to defend her actions as being for the safety of the boat and how the cabin thing was already settled at that point so she wasn't being retaliatory. But I wonder if she did the big reveal to help Bugsy. Bugsy didn't want to room with Hannah anymore than Hannah did Bugsy, and yet somehow that part of the story was skated over. It may be that Malia knew she had this ammo against Hannah and she reassured Bugsy that rooming together wouldn't last long. 

Okay - I'll take off my conspiracy hat now. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 15

It does pretty well in the ratings, and I think it rates even higher than Below Deck OG.

For me I've kept with this show mostly because I LOVE the Med especially when they started in my favorite place on earth Greece, but the whole Med is gorgeous and glam in, mostly because it's less sweaty than the tropics. I did love the Thailand season of BD, because Thailand is also brutally gorgeous. But yeah I'm in these shows for the food and the scenery. Of all the Bravoreality the boat shows seem the most choreographed and planned out, but since there is at least a legit element of danger with all that tv crew and drama than I can see why they are probably even more interventionist than ever when it comes to storylines.

I suspect Hannah was the one who told production she had to leave after this last charter rather than have her go out on her own terms they decided to set her up to look terrible, only instead production/left over cast look terrible. She's defending herself from this drug stuff but overall she hasn't seemed as ticked I'd be leaving BDM wasn't already in her plans this season.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

But I think that Kiko was hired because of his inexperience and that his firing was in the plan all along (Sandy finding ways to pick at him even when he was doing well) and that Tom's "hiring" was also part of the deal. Thus Malia insisting they were hired as a couple.

Yup this is how I think it was sketched out. But I don't think going by Twitter Hannah is really cool with Bravo, so much as she is nonplussed. She intended to leave but not like THIS and she for sure seems annoyed by how they chose to make Malia and Sandy Heroes of the Sea calling out Maritime Law wherever they see it wronged, all at her expense re: "drugs!" I also don't think Malia reported right away that bit of info could only help here while she's getting a buttload of hate and add to her argument that she was following THE RULES, and she hasn't offered it up as a detail.

The larger issue is how this storyline impacts the perception of people with anxiety disorders. And it's not a good look by or for Bravo. Especially when they chose to exploit this while the racist misogynist wasn't fired until AFTER the season was in the books. Shockingly their priorities are fucked. LOL.

• Love 20
7 hours ago, Irritable said:

Shout out to the editors for cutting Pete out so thoroughly that it’s almost as if he doesn’t even exist on earth anymore.

Honestly, as all the drama was going down I was thinking - so what, one of the girls can bunk with Alex.  I had already totally forgotten Pete existed until there was a very brief glimpse of him in the vans going back to the ship.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2