Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Cabin Fever

• Start Topic

On 8/12/2020 at 3:44 PM, blixie said:

So she is a terrible person stigmatizing mental health AND maliciously stupid/uninformed? Production really knew what it was doing when it asked these two women to take their knives out for Hannah and they eagerly leaped to wear it. I'm not sure why infamous enthusiastic pothead Andy is carrying Bravo's "weed pen/narcotics" water on this one though. Hannah must of crossed him mightily.

If Hannah had told her what she was taking there would be no problem. I don't want the chief stew who is accountable for my and my family's safety under the influence of anything. And that is coming from someone who has dealt with a panic disorder for 20 years. 

4 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

If Hannah had told her what she was taking there would be no problem. I don't want the chief stew who is accountable for my and my family's safety under the influence of anything. And that is coming from someone who has dealt with a panic disorder for 20 years. 

That isn’t what Sandy has stated in any of her several versions of the story. She said point blank that she couldn’t have Valium, even though that isn’t true, and be on charter.

• Love 3

I've been bingeing BD and BDM, and also watched season 1 of BDA. After this, I am done with BDM and any show that has Sandy or Malia on it. I've despised Sandy's management since S2 (really, since the 3rd or so ep she was on of OG Below Deck, since that's where I saw her first). For the first 6-7 eps of this season, I really liked Malia as bosun (having been in that position myself), even though I had a LOT of problems with her previously.

First: A chef does NOT rank above a chief stew. They both have 3 stripes. They are different departments. A captain might *value* a chef above a chief stew, because it's harder to find a chef in a pinch than to just get rid of a chief stew and promote the 2nd stew. 

Second: According to my yachtie friends, couples have no priority on board, totally made up.

Third: It sounds like Hannah probably did something wrong. My assumption based on my experiences, was that she probably had a medical questionnaire from a crewing agency that the yacht uses, where she had to disclose any medications she was on. I've had to do this myself. She more or less admitted in a TH that she didn't disclose the valium. I won't address the CBD beyond saying that Sandy calling it "pot" over and over is just stupid. But lots of folks (at least in the US) don't even know what CBD is.

Fourth: Sandy, give us a break. Stop chasing Hannah around the dock pretending that you care about her. Nobody is fooled by your awful performance. Get back into the galley and micromanage the new chef. Oh wait, you probably won't because he's Malia's boyfriend, so of course he's perfect.

Fifth: Malia is a POS for 1) going through Hannah's stuff to get the photos and 2) pretending to CARE about Hannah when she had a panic attack... and THEN turning her in. And again, if Hannah didn't disclose her meds, she was wrong. But if Malia wasn't a total POS, this would have gone differently, including a conversation with Sandy, instead of a fucking text with photos.

Also, if Malia is so concerned about Pete calling her "sweatheart," etc (which was totally wrong of him to do), she shouldn't tell her crewmates (especially the women) to "bro up" and "man up." Fuck off, Malia. Do you want to be empowered as a woman, or do you want to be a "bro?"

Sandy prides herself on being a female captain. And sure, it was harder for her to get there than it would be for a man. But you know what? As a female captain, she is employing many of the same tactics that a man in that situation would employ, and there's NO REASON to believe she got to her position in any other way: She lies, gaslights, rewrites history, and is just a total and complete asshole. 

Fuck this show until Sandy is gone. I won't return to it, and wherever she appears on other shows in the franchise, I won't watch.

• Like 4

Rewatching this episode (and the one after it), and it’s even more shittier now than it was then.

— Tom supposedly making a “quick stop” on his way to visit his uncle, who’s at death’s door….and stays.

— Bugs herself also telling Malia that rooming with Hannah was a bad idea. 

— Cap’n Sandy again playing favorites by getting on the horn and blasting that Malia and Tom will be shacking up.

— Cap’n Sandy then discussing a personnel issue with Malia (all she had to tell Malia was Hannah had been let go).

This is when the show stopped being appointment TV for me. 

On 3/16/2023 at 7:00 AM, beerophilia said:

I've been bingeing BD and BDM, and also watched season 1 of BDA. After this, I am done with BDM and any show that has Sandy or Malia on it. I've despised Sandy's management since S2 (really, since the 3rd or so ep she was on of OG Below Deck, since that's where I saw her first). For the first 6-7 eps of this season, I really liked Malia as bosun (having been in that position myself), even though I had a LOT of problems with her previously.

First: A chef does NOT rank above a chief stew. They both have 3 stripes. They are different departments. A captain might *value* a chef above a chief stew, because it's harder to find a chef in a pinch than to just get rid of a chief stew and promote the 2nd stew. 

Second: According to my yachtie friends, couples have no priority on board, totally made up.

Third: It sounds like Hannah probably did something wrong. My assumption based on my experiences, was that she probably had a medical questionnaire from a crewing agency that the yacht uses, where she had to disclose any medications she was on. I've had to do this myself. She more or less admitted in a TH that she didn't disclose the valium. I won't address the CBD beyond saying that Sandy calling it "pot" over and over is just stupid. But lots of folks (at least in the US) don't even know what CBD is.

Fourth: Sandy, give us a break. Stop chasing Hannah around the dock pretending that you care about her. Nobody is fooled by your awful performance. Get back into the galley and micromanage the new chef. Oh wait, you probably won't because he's Malia's boyfriend, so of course he's perfect.

Fifth: Malia is a POS for 1) going through Hannah's stuff to get the photos and 2) pretending to CARE about Hannah when she had a panic attack... and THEN turning her in. And again, if Hannah didn't disclose her meds, she was wrong. But if Malia wasn't a total POS, this would have gone differently, including a conversation with Sandy, instead of a fucking text with photos.

Also, if Malia is so concerned about Pete calling her "sweatheart," etc (which was totally wrong of him to do), she shouldn't tell her crewmates (especially the women) to "bro up" and "man up." Fuck off, Malia. Do you want to be empowered as a woman, or do you want to be a "bro?"

Sandy prides herself on being a female captain. And sure, it was harder for her to get there than it would be for a man. But you know what? As a female captain, she is employing many of the same tactics that a man in that situation would employ, and there's NO REASON to believe she got to her position in any other way: She lies, gaslights, rewrites history, and is just a total and complete asshole. 

Fuck this show until Sandy is gone. I won't return to it, and wherever she appears on other shows in the franchise, I won't watch.

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏🥂🥂🥂🥂🥂🥂

Same. She is fucking TOXIC. Glad her ass finally left BD.

• Like 1

Yeah, rewatching it now too. I just keep yelling at the screen "the prescription is ON THE BOX!" I mean, when you fill a Rex, they take the script. And, if the photo was taken 3 days ago, then clearly Malia broke some MARITIME LAWS too by not reporting it right away.

But, most of all, FFFF Sandy for making Hannah's firing all about HER. Soooooo self-centered and selfish!

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, TeapotWakeen said:

Yeah, rewatching it now too. I just keep yelling at the screen "the prescription is ON THE BOX!" I mean, when you fill a Rex, they take the script. And, if the photo was taken 3 days ago, then clearly Malia broke some MARITIME LAWS too by not reporting it right away.

But, most of all, FFFF Sandy for making Hannah's firing all about HER. Soooooo self-centered and selfish!

Sandy should have made Hannah produce a doctor’s prescription, like Lee did with Kat early on in BD. IIRC, too, Hannah did not have a “pot pen” — it was CBD. That may have been contraband, but the prescription was somehow the “bigger” issue.

I think Hannah was just worn down after putting up with Sandy for three years. That, to me, explains why she was seemingly checked out for a lot of episodes — not that she was doped up. Sandy’s concern-trolling on the dock still makes me 🤬. She wanted Hannah gone two seasons prior. Who was she trying to bullshit?

• Like 2