Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E11: One-Queen Show

• Start Topic

I am looking forward to seeing more of Heidi. What was the joke about paying her taxes? That went right over my head.

Crystal really did do well and may be peaking at just the right time. I continue to be very much here for what she, Jackie, and Jaida are serving overall. Gigi still has gorgeous looks but is not there for me on charisma. She can grow into it.

Nitpicks! For the Dahlia bit to be funny, she has to wear a look that doesn’t make me think she’d rather be literally anywhere else. I mean, that girl looked, I guess you would say, steamed. And I wonder whether we ever would’ve heard that Sherry went over 5min in the original edit? I hated that I thought her act looked good.

Now I’m off to listen to “1999” again.

• Love 1

Im surprised she was allowed to go over, I figured they had a guy with a sign giving them the 1 minute/ times up warnings...

Sherry didn’t even make it to the fish before her 5 minutes were up.

it was nice to see the queens could go in whatever direction they wanted with this, though clearly some stumbled to find the right path.

I’m sad to see Heidi go, but she was definitely the bottom this week. 

• Love 3

Making Ru laugh is the cardinal rule of RPDR, if you succeed other failings will be overlooked. I just don't know why Sh*rry refused to close. If she'd taken the final slot and proceeded to mop the floor with everyone for 20 minutes, she probably would have won, actually. Again, trash human being, but damn she painted for filth on the runway. That eyeliner was spectacular.

Jackie putting Jaida in last was Naomi level "life's not fair" and I would have preferred if she'd just owned it instead of acting aggrieved. Using the two pairs of glasses to delineate her characters was a cute trick, something like that would have benefited Heidi immensely.

Gigi had such a great idea, I'm so sad she was too nervous to go all in. There are so many blonde leggy mega-bitch archetypes that she is perfectly suited to lean in to, just go for it! "F*ck you Garry" was a hilarious running gag.

Heidi is a national treasure and even got an semi-authentic Ru stamp of approval. She's going to do big things!

Crystal could put water in a bottle, and I'd buy it. Luv x infinity

• Love 10

Jaida said it best at the beginning  of the episode:

"When you're seeing your friend off at the airport that doesn't mean you love them any less"

Heidi will be missed but I suspect she'll become the biggest star from this season.

I loved the reveal on Untucked that Gary from Fuck you Gary was part of Whoopi's family.

• Love 8

I thought they should have played rock-paper-scissors or drawn straws to determine who would go last.  Then it would have been no one's "fault."

I was surprised though, that anyone made a fuss about going last.  And strange that Jackie chose to go first because during the Madonna challenge, Jan said (and everyone agreed) that going first was the worst.

Further, I am surprised that all the queens struggled with this challenge and seemed like they had never before had five minutes at the microphone.  This challenge seemed as basic as sewing.

Heidi looked more gorgeous than ever on the runway, but looked fatigued during the LSFYL.  

@853fisher -- I think the "pay your taxes" comment was just a reference to the fact that Heidi is going to be making some money now.

• Love 5

I've seen theories that Shitty Pi intentionally went long to throw off the person/people who would go afterward. Why else would a seasoned comedy camp queen insist on NOT going last? Her M.O. this whole competition seems to be "fuck over another queen if possible." Along with her bragging about how she knew everything about Fosse, but refusing to help choreograph. In the words of Thorgy, "aw, Jesus, GROSS."

I will miss Heidi tremendously. Ru was right to call her a superstar. I felt bad for Gigi, I didn't think having a script was such a bad thing. Ostensibly, she would have practiced the script to make it sound less rehearsed than it did in the initial consultation. Crystal and Jackie were spectacular in different ways. Either would have deserved the win, but I'm glad Crystal finally got one. I will be thinking about those dance moves for a LONG time.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Just Carol said:

I think the "pay your taxes" comment was just a reference to the fact that Heidi is going to be making some money now.

Ah, thank you!  I'm not surprised I didn't get it.  I simply can't relate to that. 😉

• LOL 4

Co-signing all the Heidi love. Ru really did put her stamp of approval (@rozen) on Heidi and I totally agree with her. I also believe that she’s going to be the breakout star of the season. Has Ru ever been so effusive in her praise of someone  going home before? I mean that “pack your bags and move to New York or Los Angeles” sounded like a directive as opposed to the general ra ra send off messages that she gives. 

Heidi gives the best (talking) head. Will miss her. 

• Love 6

Jackie's act was funny but still very personal and heartfelt. Her flying purple people eater costume was fun. I love that as soon as Whoopi asked why there was a stamp on the tongue, Michelle immediately said, "It's Molly!" (which was hilariously followed by Ru giving the requisite, "Molly, you in danger, girl!"). 

Crystal's phenomenal Phil character was silly and funny. Her purple cow look was so weird and so Crystal. My only issue was that her costume looked kind of messy, but she was totally selling it on the runway.

Heidi's concept was a good idea but the execution was mediocre. It was so confusing because she is so funny during her talking heads but her act was really not funny. Her purple gown was pretty. Her makeup looked beautiful so she really has been improving.

Gigi's flight attendant act was a fun idea but it seemed too scripted. It's totally fine to write your material but you need to make sound more natural. She has it in her to be spontaneous (mocking the audience member's distressed denim, for example) so she just needs to work on making her memorized stuff sound less rehearsed. Her flight attendant costume was cute, as was her Scooby Doo look.

Sherry went on way too long. When I was the maid of honor, I wrote my entire speech out and then I practiced saying it out loud while timing myself because I wanted to make sure that it didn't go on for too long. Apparently Sherry did not do that since she took her sweet fucking time. SEVENTEEN MINUTES?! I got annoyed on behalf of all the other queens because that SUCKS. I was in a similar situation at a New Year's Eve performance once where we had a set amount of time for the entire show and the girl right before me took up so much time that I knew I was not going to be able to do my entire performance. I was like GURL, COME ON. Michelle wasn't being harsh. Sherry was being selfish and self-indulgent and completely lacking in awareness if she went on for three times as long as she was supposed to. I'm so used to seeing Sherry with huge hair that I almost didn't recognize her on the runway.

What we saw of Jaida's act was just one long anecdote. It wasn't the worst story I've ever heard and the audience was laughing but then she kind of petered out at the end. Her runway look was very glam. I loved that during Untucked, Jackie said, "Roll back the tape," and then the producers showed exactly what happened which was Jackie's revisionist history. Even without seeing the footage again, I remembered that Jaida said she wanted to go second or third and then after everyone else got assigned a spot, Jackie specifically said, "I know you didn't want to go last, but..." I mean, seriously, if you don't want to take responsibility for assigning spots, then just have people pull numbers out of a hat. But Jackie accommodated everyone else's requests except Jaida's. That sucks but that's what she did so she should at least admit it. I mean, did she forget that there are cameras recording all the words that are said?

Finally, Crystal gets a win! Yay! I'm so happy for her! Heidi has seemed very sweet so I was sad to see her go, but Jaida was so good in the LSFYL.

• Love 5
(edited)

I think Jaida's story was just hard to follow- I don't know if it was nerves having her talk too fast or what, but I didn't understand what she was talking about until almost the end.... or what was going on with the man in the bathroom... But if she had explained more that she was asked to judge a pagent in drag, and you know, when you're in drag you want to make sure you use the bathroom before you get tucked.... but today, things didn't go as planned or whatever (at least that's what I think she was trying to demonstrate the person in the bathroom helping her with??)   It could have been a funny anecdote, i just found it hard to follow... and then she sort of gave up by the time the hotdog/onion punchline came around. 

Edited by roctavia
  • Love 9

I'm calling bigtime bullshit on Ms. Pie not having to lipsync for her life due to going over time by 12 freaking minutes!!!! If the other Girls stuck to the prescribed time, she should have been made to also, like with a big old hook coming out and dragging her tired, redundant ass of the stage. I find her boring, tedious, and same, same, same every damn challenge.

• Love 16

I've said before and I'll say it again, Jackie Cox looks a million times better out of drag than in drag. (sidenote - he mentioned going to Chicago pride one year. I'm pretty sure we're the same age and he looks vaguely familiar...) His 5ish minute bit was solid. His runway look seemed fine to me. 

Crystal's bit was amusing but I'm glad it only went five minutes. Anything more and I'd be bored.

Heidi is like a young Latrice. Beloved by all, talented but somewhat limited in skillset, and screwed up the makeover challenge. She'll be back for All-Stars 7 or 8

GiGi lacks seasoning. She is about the same age as Violet and Aquaria when they were on, but those two seemed like they've been at it for a lot longer.  

It's only now becoming apparent to me that [redacted] exists. Now that the numbers are dwindling, I could lose her in the pack when she had as much screen time as Fierce Broc-ally, but they editors have to fill up the show length with something. It's like she subconsciously went over five minutes to make up for her editing.

Jaida is still my favorite. Her story didn't work out too well, but it was a good concept. I'd say even the weaker performances were good ideas, but not performed to their full potential. 

• Love 4

I have never disagreed with Ross more in regards to Sherry. I’m with you, Electric Bugaloo. I have performed standup for years and it’s just a cardinal rule that YOU DON’T RUN YOUR TIME. It’s incredibly stressful as a performer to be getting ready to hit the stage and the person before you (or the host, which Sherry probably did often in NYC) goes into businesses for themselves and goes on and on, completely killing your adrenaline and momentum and exhausting the crowd. 7 or 8 minutes? Little offensive but okay. 18 minutes of 5? GIRL. She knew exactly what she was doing. I had quasi-PTSD from my early days of doing horrible open mikes. 

Gigi is a perfectionist, which you have to unlearn to succeed on this show. I loved her concept, though. If you lose your place in a show like that, just keep talking and you’ll find it! I was in a play once and the other actor and I both completely forgot everything. We just improvised and got somewhere and the audience was none the wiser (thankfully it was an original and not a famous play!).

• Love 12
(edited)

Nooooo Heidi noooooooo!  Sob.  My girl is gone.  Sob.  Ok that sucked bigtime. My #2 by a DeBarge hair is Crystal.  Congrats on the win!!  Long overdue imho. 

Get rid of Shitty Pie already. omg i would have been fuming were I Jaida!  They did her wrong Bigly! Lol.  I dont know that Jaida's act would have been any funnier, but i think the timing threw her all off.  Plus i dont think she ever got over being picked to go last and not speaking up for herself to say not this time.  So she might have had a bit of a defeatist attitude. 

Still the biggest daggers out of my eyes for Pie.  You suck, go home already.  You know... one other thing...lol...the panel was sort of complicit in not saying hardly anything to her at all about it.  KUDOS to Michelle for speaking up! Wtf Ru? And Ross, wtf to you too.  Pie should have to be fined or docked somehow lol.  And why didnt the judges say anything while it was happening.  Like 'times up bitch, move' and give her the hook.  Or have a clock there.  Something. That was so fucked up.  Alright i think my rant is over now. 

NOT YET!! hahah sorry.  A lot to say, this is last though.....Heidi for All Stars!  That would be awesome but Im sure theyve already shot it right?  Maybe thats why the early departure now.  Sigh. I can hope lol.  ok bye now.

Edited by Tammee
Paragraphs rule
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I've seen theories that Shitty Pi intentionally went long to throw off the person/people who would go afterward. Why else would a seasoned comedy camp queen insist on NOT going last? Her M.O. this whole competition seems to be "fuck over another queen if possible." Along with her bragging about how she knew everything about Fosse, but refusing to help choreograph. In the words of Thorgy, "aw, Jesus, GROSS."

I will miss Heidi tremendously. Ru was right to call her a superstar. I felt bad for Gigi, I didn't think having a script was such a bad thing. Ostensibly, she would have practiced the script to make it sound less rehearsed than it did in the initial consultation. Crystal and Jackie were spectacular in different ways. Either would have deserved the win, but I'm glad Crystal finally got one. I will be thinking about those dance moves for a LONG time.

OMG THE Jerk was hysterical!! That was a double spittake run to the bathroom laugh. Sorry if tmi but I roared. Sooooooooo funny!

I keep forgetting to add about Whoopi. Loved her, she was great.  Liked how she was very supportive with great advice.  Almost Mother Hen like.  I wonder if she is still going to do Sister Act in London, what with the world as it is now.  Dont know if the theaters are even going to be open by then.

• Love 1

1. I loved that Ru had such kind words of encouragement for Heidi, but I really, really hope that she didn't move to Manhattan once they revealed the season twelve cast to the public. She would be stuck in the worst hotspot in the country, presumably in a tiny apartment, 24/7. Yikes!

2. I think the judges did Gigi a big disservice by insisting that she improvise. Stand-up doesn't have to be improvised. Some of the best stand-up comics in the world have their entire acts planned out word-by-word, movement-by-movement. They should have just told her to make her scripted material seem less mannered and less rehearsed. 

It's pretty clear that Gigi is a smart competitor who prepared very well for this competition. She had a great Snatch Game character in her pocket, she brought an outfit for the makeover that would work for a variety of sizes, and she had a great concept for her standup act.

And she is clearly terrible at being funny off the cuff - as evidenced by her puppet show. Just let her do the material she came with, and don't throw her off by insisting she has to throw away her notes and make stuff up off the top of her head.

3. STFU Sherry! She just had to mention force-feeding again, didn't she? Ugh. 

It's interesting that no one has played a villain role at all since Brita left. I think Sherry was originally edited as the villain of season 12, and then they had to work overtime to change the content.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, gorgy said:

I've said before and I'll say it again, Jackie Cox looks a million times better out of drag than in drag.

I consider myself "homoflexible," so I mostly am attracted to men but occasionally find women attractive. Jackie in drag looks like the type of woman I am usually attracted to but out of drag doesn't look like the type of man I am usually attracted to, even though he is good-looking.

There's no way in hell that sherrypie didn't know she was going way over her time limit and there is no way she can gaslight me into believing otherwise. A few minutes over I could believe was an honest mistake, but not 12 minutes over the limit. She was fucking Jaida over intentionally. It's interesting that in the mini challenge that Jackie's puppet impersonation was about her being a self-centered attention whore. I wonder if sherry herself was intentionally trying to create a villain storyline for herself that we just haven't seen due to so much of her being cut.

I also don't think Jaida is as much of a bitch as she claims to be because it was very gracious of her to not throw a shoe or something at her head by minute six and not to say more about it to the judges. I didn't really understand her story at all, but maybe it would have been more cohesive if she hadn't had to wait through twenty minutes of bullshit.

I feel like the problem with Heidi's act is that the best thing about Heidi is that she's Heidi. That's what Ru loves about her. Why then did she spend the entire act being other people who aren't as funny or charming as she is?? I get what she was trying to do, but I think if she'd let herself be the main character in the skit, it would have gone over better. I'm surprised they didn't give her that feedback during the practice.

I agree with Ru that she's a superstar, though. I would watch anything she's in.

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, belligerent said:

I also don't think Jaida is as much of a bitch as she claims to be because it was very gracious of her to not throw a shoe or something at her head by minute six and not to say more about it to the judges. I didn't really understand her story at all, but maybe it would have been more cohesive if she hadn't had to wait through twenty minutes of bullshit.

Re: Jaida's story, this was what I could make out - someone tell me if I'm wrong: Jaida made a public appearance at a pageant, and decided to hook up with a guy while she was off-stage, even though she really had to pee. Then she inadvertently peed all over the guy.

Then she hiked up her skirt and returned to the judges' table, and one of the judges complained about a bad odor and asked for air freshener. Jaida was mortified that she smelled like urine. But then the judge mentioned that he wanted the air freshener because other judges were eating something with onions.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

Re: Jaida's story, this was what I could make out - someone tell me if I'm wrong: Jaida made a public appearance at a pageant, and decided to hook up with a guy while she was off-stage, even though she really had to pee. Then she inadvertently peed all over the guy.

Then she hiked up her skirt and returned to the judges' table, and one of the judges complained about a bad odor and asked for air freshener. Jaida was mortified that she smelled like urine. But then the judge mentioned that he wanted the air freshener because other judges were eating something with onions.

I think the guy was already her boyfriend and he was helping her untuck to pee.  But in the process Jaida peed on him

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, After7Only said:

I think the guy was already her boyfriend and he was helping her untuck to pee.  But in the process Jaida peed on him

That’s what I figured out eventually, and the clear issue with her story- she rushed it a bit so the audience missed some of the story and then couldn’t follow why it was funny, even though it really is a funny story.

I never really thought about it before Jaida’s story, but I would think needing to pee once you’ve been tucked and in a fancy outfit is probably not a quick fix!  Pointing that out to the audience at the beginning of the story would have helped us follow the story.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, After7Only said:

Oh that makes sense. I thought they were hooking up.....orally 😂. I wondered why she would do th at if she needed to pee so bad

Also, in her story did she make Rupaul her boyfriend? Why?

• Love 1

So, we are down to five.  Since Sherry gets dropped from the finale, I wonder who goes out Friday and if they will be brought back for the finale in Sherrie’s place?

2 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

So, we are down to five.  Since Sherry gets dropped from the finale, I wonder who goes out Friday and if they will be brought back for the finale in Sherrie’s place?

Will there even be a finale? I haven't heard anything about how they plan to accomplish one.

10 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I loved that during Untucked, Jackie said, "Roll back the tape," and then the producers showed exactly what happened which was Jackie's revisionist history. Even without seeing the footage again, I remembered that Jaida said she wanted to go second or third and then after everyone else got assigned a spot, Jackie specifically said, "I know you didn't want to go last, but..." I mean, seriously, if you don't want to take responsibility for assigning spots, then just have people pull numbers out of a hat. But Jackie accommodated everyone else's requests except Jaida's. That sucks but that's what she did so she should at least admit it. I mean, did she forget that there are cameras recording all the words that are said?

Looks like she's seen the tapes...

675744626_Jaida_Essence_Hall_on_Twitter____JackieCoxNYC_Lol_its_drag_sis_and_we_deal_with_soooo_much_in_one_day_its_hard_to_keep_up__Still_love_you_____Twitter.jpg.020226cfccbe8b94043602e5f96a0fe4.jpg

• Love 7
11 hours ago, After7Only said:

I always wonder about the queens when they're drinking the "cocktails" during Untucked; aren't they worried that they might have to pee when they go back onstage? Do the ones in the bottom purposely abstain?

7 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I always wonder about the queens when they're drinking the "cocktails" during Untucked; aren't they worried that they might have to pee when they go back onstage? Do the ones in the bottom purposely abstain?

I think Willam has said that after the S2 episode where Jujubee got overserved, they have a limit of one drink in Untucked. 

10 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Shitty Pie and Gigi should have been the ones to LSFYL. One ignored the time limit and the other brought a script on stage.  Both did it knowing it was the wrong thing to do.

TIN FOIL HAT!!!

Because this show (and especially this season) is so producer and story driven, I think there was a much bigger Sherry vs. Jaida story that we’ll never see, but they didn’t put both in the bottom because they might be trying to save that for next week if needed, so we would have normally got an episode of them arguing about Sherry going over so long. But because they’ve tried to excise any Sherry storylines, we’re only gonna get bits and pieces of it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, JakeyJokes said:

I think Willam has said that after the S2 episode where Jujubee got overserved, they have a limit of one drink in Untucked. 

TIN FOIL HAT!!!

Because this show (and especially this season) is so producer and story driven, I think there was a much bigger Sherry vs. Jaida story that we’ll never see, but they didn’t put both in the bottom because they might be trying to save that for next week if needed, so we would have normally got an episode of them arguing about Sherry going over so long. But because they’ve tried to excise any Sherry storylines, we’re only gonna get bits and pieces of it.

That's quite possible, but I also think they probably edited the cepisode so that it would make sense that Heidi would be in the bottom instead of Gigi. It was too early to eliminate either Gigi or Jaida, and there was really no chance that Heidi, as cute and fun as she is, would win the whole thing. Now that she has been eliminated, she's probably a lock for Miss Congeniality. (Although Crystal seems to have avoided all shade and arguments.)

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/9/2020 at 9:48 AM, loki310 said:

snip...

Heidi gives the best (talking) head. Will miss her. 

Yes!  I loved all her reactions!  Cracked me right the F Up!  Hmmm heres a theory. Maybe when they finally get rid of you know who there will be a space to fill and they bring Heidi back!!  Are you hearing me TPTB?  I think its a great idea. 

To add: looks like Im not the only one with that idea.  LOL guess i should have read further back.  In any case...GMTA!

Edited by Tammee
Adding
  • Love 1

Ok heres a realllllllllly dumb question, but it will help solve a bet.  Did Jaida really pee on stage or did she somehow rig up something to pour water?  I think she did really pee, my friend says its water.  Consensus?

(edited)
On 5/9/2020 at 7:25 AM, Just Carol said:

I thought they should have played rock-paper-scissors or drawn straws to determine who would go last.  Then it would have been no one's "fault."

I was surprised though, that anyone made a fuss about going last.  And strange that Jackie chose to go first because during the Madonna challenge, Jan said (and everyone agreed) that going first was the worst.

Further, I am surprised that all the queens struggled with this challenge and seemed like they had never before had five minutes at the microphone.  This challenge seemed as basic as sewing.

Heidi looked more gorgeous than ever on the runway, but looked fatigued during the LSFYL.  

@853fisher -- I think the "pay your taxes" comment was just a reference to the fact that Heidi is going to be making some money now.

Ditto that and to add that theres been several celebrities who've gotten in trouble not paying taxes, the Sitch and Richard Hatch to be a couple I remember.  Oh and Dance mom, Abby Lee Miller.  Not sure if hers was tax fraud, but she did some sketchy financial stuff and got caught too.

Edited by Tammee
Added
(edited)

If Sherry Pie had not done what he did and were not who he is as a human being ....... what would our opinions be of him/if he was likeable/super talented/warranting a Finale slot, etc etc etc?

Edited by filmfan2480

One trick pony who does the same schtick every time and committed mega-comedy sin by going over time. Although it's on the show for not just cutting it off midstream, but 17 vs 5 is just nonsense. You practice your set with a clock. You don't accidentally do over 3x the set. It's extremely unprofessional either way, but the excuse is either "oops I'm completely unprofessional and too stupid to time myself in rehearsals" or "I knew I was over but wanted to see if I could get away with it". Either way, still an asshole.

• Love 13
11 hours ago, RoxiP said:

The queens probably come close to dehydrating under the stage lights so a drink at Untucked is probably not an issue.

She did really pee when it really happened to her...the night she was a judge at some pageant,

BUT...

I didn't realize there was a "stream" in her reenactment. I thought it was just a sound effect.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, filmfan2480 said:

If Sherry Pie had not done what he did and were not who he is as a human being ....... what would our opinions be of him/if he was likeable/super talented/warranting a Finale slot, etc etc etc?

I found Sherry Pie subliminally revolting on first sight. I think he probably is rather talented, and paints extraordinarily well. But there is something deeply repulsive emanating from that slightly doughy, sweaty face when out of drag; knowing the stuff that's been made public, I am not all that surprised. It could be a lot worse. A lot of the people on tv and in real life who I have found instantaneously repulsive like this have turned out to be child molesters, etc.

In short, I would never have liked Sherry Pie. But I would have shamed myself all season for my response, as I did in the first episode. 

• Love 7

I might have liked Sherry some at the beginning, but I think, like Britta you can't hide some of that cruelty... plus after doing the same old lady schtick over and over, I would definitely be over her by now.... I know queens have signature looks and some of it is over the top make up... but I also don't dig Sherry's makeup...

• Love 4
17 hours ago, filmfan2480 said:

Hard to say but I don't find him clever at all. 

• Love 1

Nope, would not have liked the Pie person even if he had a spotless record. I hate her makeup, particularly how it makes his nose look. There is something very old school about it and not in a cheeky, retro way, but in a stale, tired, outdated way.
So many raved over her purple cat look on this episode, but I thought it was horrendous. 
All the makeup stuff that I dislike could be overlooked if I thought she was funny or talented, but I don’t. Same damn thing each time.  

• Love 4