Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E11: One-Queen Show

• Start Topic

A buddy of mine pointed out how much editing really can inform our opinions, so I'm unsure how I'd feel about Sherry if we could see her the way it was originally filmed. His example was Bianca Del Rio, one of the all-time greats, but she definitely had a pretty limited look. The vanishing nose thing is weird on Sherry, but otherwise, her skills are really quite good. And the first episode, she did come off as smart and funny. So if the crimes had never come to light, I suspect there would be more fans, and I'm glad she's been edited down so much. Otherwise, she still would've garnered fans who would've handwaved her crimes away. People will defend the weirdest stuff, man.

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't think there's any way I would have been charmed by Sherry. I didn't find her schtick funny in her first episode, and I couldn't comprehend why she was in the top 2 lip sync with Jaida.

The only challenges where I've actually been impressed by Sherry were Gay's Anatomy, because her Harvey Fierstein impression was dead-on (even though it wasn't exactly the most original choice she could have made), and the makeover challenge.

If Sherry was depicted positively, and was as funny as Bianca was in the workroom, I'm sure I'd think more positively of her. But I also have a hard-time believing she's really capable of being that funny. She hasn't done much in the challenges to suggest that.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 2

I mean, I'm not saying she's as funny as Bianca Del Rio. That's a whole special level of greatness. But I can see a glimpse of the talent she's got even with her edits. So I'm definitely willing to acknowledge her talent. Too bad that talent is wrapped up in a predatory sociopath.

I have no idea what I would think of Ms. Pie under different circumstances, because A: I haven’t seen enough of her (thank Jeebus) to really judge, and B: I can’t unknow what I know. Clearly the judges saw something special in her, given that she’s made it this far.  But sociopaths are often highly charismatic, which could easily deflect from a lack of substantive talent.

Pie-hole aside, I’m glad the producers made the decision to air this season anyway. The other queens did nothing wrong (in fact, they did many things very, very well!) and they deserved to be seen.  I kind of wish they could re-do the season without the spectre of slime hanging over them, but they managed to make this season eminently watchable despite it all, which is saying a lot. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I’m glad the producers made the decision to air this season anyway. The other queens did nothing wrong (in fact, they did many things very, very well!) and they deserved to be seen.

I agree. I remember after the allegations about Johnny Iuzzini came out, the entire season of The Great American Baking Show was pulled from the lineup. I totally understand why the decision was made but I felt really bad for all the contestants who didn't do anything wrong and didn't get to have their friends and family see all the work they'd done. Like RPDR, the entire season had already been filmed. The first two episodes aired and then the show got pulled (later some highlights from the unaired episodes were posted on Facebook but the full episodes never saw the light of day). And even then, ABC dragged their feet. The allegations were widely publicized over a week before the season began. ABC ran the first two episodes anyway and only officially pulled the show two weeks after the allegations were made public. In contrast, RPDR did some last minute editing to allow this season to continue airing. I can only imagine the frantic editing that had to happen so that the second episode could air without the show taking a week off.

• Love 2

I think bad behaviour hit hardest on “I Love Money”.  The season had actually started to air when one of the contestants was charged with murder.   The show was pulled....rumour was that the guy either won or made it to the finale So they couldn’t edit around him... and the show was subsequently cancelled.   

Just catching up with this season. Had no idea there was a huge scandal, and can't google it cuz it will spoil the winner. so I guess I will find out what Sherry did when I finish the season. 

Had to stop in to give a kiss good-bye to my fave, Heidi. I loved her so much. I know she stumbled here and there, but I still thought she deserved to stay over Jackie and Sherry. I got the feeling Ru is going get her into allstars sooner than later, or maybe help her in some other way. Does anyone know what name she is currently using? I was wondering if she stuck with Heidi Afrodite.

9 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Just catching up with this season. Had no idea there was a huge scandal, and can't google it cuz it will spoil the winner. so I guess I will find out what Sherry did when I finish the season. 

Had to stop in to give a kiss good-bye to my fave, Heidi. I loved her so much. I know she stumbled here and there, but I still thought she deserved to stay over Jackie and Sherry. I got the feeling Ru is going get her into allstars sooner than later, or maybe help her in some other way. Does anyone know what name she is currently using? I was wondering if she stuck with Heidi Afrodite.

Sherry's scandal was for behavior predating the show; here's an article from March that'll give you the gist without spoiling the results, if you're interested. 

I'd say keep the suspense about what Heidi does with her name - it was fun. But if you want to know, 

Spoiler

She's still going by Heidi N. Closet. It works as an ongoing joke with hometown fans, I gather.