Type keyword(s) to search

S40.E12: Friendly Fire

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

1 minute ago, Cornhusker12 said:

I think another aspect of this is the fact that the remaining players don't really have very "dynamic" or outgoing personalities in comparison. I'm guessing if people like Rob, Parvati, Natalie, Adam and Yul, etc were still in the game these last couple episodes in place of Kim, Sophie, Denise, Nick and Michelle, for example, there would be some more entertaining and dynamic footage to feature. As it turns out, we have a group of comparatively low-key people along with the whirlwind of Tony haha.

I absolutely agree!

100%. I'm not sure watching a bunch of complacent players, who give up winning immunity for peanut butter and chocolate, and reach a consensus decision 10 minutes after the immunity challenge ends, is riveting television. For instance, we spent 25 total minutes on the Wendell / Michelle drama and she didn't even make a big move to vote him out. The reason why others aren't getting a good edit is because they all just want to fly under the radar and put the target on someone else. Heck, at this point I'd even welcome a Ben bomb at tribal for a change.

• Love 3

I don;t see Yul, Parvati, Rob, holding it against Tony and not voting for him. I think one thing about "old school" players is that they're at a point in their lives where Survivor is not the only thing that happened to them. 

I personally think Tony's probably a really fun guy and the reason he gets so much airtime is because everyone else left has a kind of dour, sour personality. Also it's like the Big Brother effect in the Diary Rooms: some people simply made better narrators than others. On Big Brother a player like Dr. Will is always going to get more Diary Rooms. Boston Rob, Sandra, Russell, Cirie, Tony, Coach, Tyson all got tons of airtime because they are very good narrators. 

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, Cornhusker12 said:

I think another aspect of this is the fact that the remaining players don't really have very "dynamic" or outgoing personalities in comparison. I'm guessing if people like Rob, Parvati, Natalie, Adam and Yul, etc were still in the game these last couple episodes in place of Kim, Sophie, Denise, Nick and Michelle, for example, there would be some more entertaining and dynamic footage to feature. As it turns out, we have a group of comparatively low-key people along with the whirlwind of Tony haha.

Until you pointed that out, I hadn't realized how BORING all the remaining players are.  Looks like "new school" is really "boring-fly-under-the-radar-hold-on-to-the-end school."

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I was yelling so much at the TV over Probst letting Tony hem and haw and fucking whisper to people before not playing his idol and then he let Jeremy do it with his advantage. Fuck this shit! GAH!

Yes!  This really ticked me off.  I dislike the plotting during TC enough, but letting them discuss whether to use idols and advantages AFTER THE VOTE was something else altogether, IMO.  I thought maybe Jeff would draw the line there, but nope.  I also expected more of an uproar here over that.  Players should have to decide for themselves in that tense moment if they've read the other players well enough. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, BrooklynRat said:

It’s a super food packed with protein and calories and helps you feel sated for a long period of time. That’s why Tyson bought it inn EoE to give himself a performance advantage. It’s the perfect Survivor food. 

Are they no longer having reward challenges, so this was their only opportunity to eat? 

• Useful 2

As for the whispering at tribal, it's absurd at this point. If everything that happens at camp is allowed to start over from scratch, only this time in secret whispers with Jeff and the jury watching but having no idea what's happening, what's the point of the game anymore? Why would anyone bother with the basic tenet of Survivor of juggling relationships while stranded on the island, or making secret pitches while you're at the water well, or hiding 30 feet up in a tree to spy?? Haha. It just takes so much fun out of the actual game itself in my opinion.

And allowing even MORE discussion AFTER the vote, on whether to use an idol/advantage? Completely bonkers.

Tribal should be a separate "sacred" place where we and the jury see the result of gameplay, not just some new location where gameplay resets and plays out in a less strategic and less entertaining way.

Edited by Cornhusker12
  • Love 11
31 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Was it?  I didn't think so.  Sarah was monologuing about "who is Sarah Lacina?  People see me as smart.  Or funny.  And pretty."  It sure didn't sound like a joke to me.  Because if it was truly a joke then she would be saying that she is dumb, boring and ugly.  There's no way Sarah really thinks that about herself.  I do feel like she really believes she is smart, funny and pretty.

Her first season she bragged about how much more observant she was than most people. She said she is the only one who would notice if the car ahead of her in traffic had an expired registration. That is something I notice all the time and I never thought of it as any kind of superior skill, so I viewed her as extremely arrogant. She hasn't done anything to change my mind about that. She is extremely arrogant.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, AntFTW said:

This seems to be one-sided. Ben hates Jeremy but Jeremy doesn't hate Ben.

Ben refuses to even act like he's on Jeremy's side or entertain Jeremy, even if there's a benefit for Ben.

This dynamic confuses me the most.  There had to be something left on the editing room floor.  From last episode to this one, the only thing they've shown is that Ben tried (and failed) to vote Jeremy out.  So, Ben is angry that Jeremy didn't get bounced???  I could see Jeremy being angry at Ben, but not the other way around.  Any normal survivor player would be trying to placate Jeremy instead of acting like a petulant toddler.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

But, that's just it.  It cost her nothing.  Getting voted "out" does nothing to reduce one's chances of winning the $2 million.  It probably increases them, as you get more chance to bond with the jurors and have to cut fewer throats.

I'm not sure that'll work here.  As I mentioned elsewhere, I can see the first set of EOE newbies voting for the guy they got to bond with practically the whole time they were there.  I'd be more disappointed in winners for doing the same.  The difference with Kim and Chris is that Kim actually made it really far in the game.  Yet, does she have much game play to show for it?  And how will this jury of winners (many of whom claimed to be anti-EOE) vote, and on what basis?  Kim made what could be a bone headed move.  Obviously it was two immunities for a man and woman, so it's not like her dropping out affected Tony winning.  However, her dropping out did get herself voted out.  And if Kim doesn't make it back in the game, then I stand by it costing her.  

On that note, I am wondering if Tony overplayed his hand last night, and maybe got him and Sarah into deeper trouble.  He exposed that he had an idol, he exposed that Jeremy had something (even if it's Michele's-I'm assuming he has to give it back to her), he pretty much exposed that he and Sarah are a duo, even though everyone already knew that.  He's showing everyone how he's playing the game and why he deserves to win, which is giving everyone more reasons to get rid of him.  I'll actually be sad if that happens, as he and Sarah are the only two left I'm really rooting for and would be excited to see win.  He might have been better off keeping Sophie for a couple more votes.  

This dynamic confuses me the most.  There had to be something left on the editing room floor.  From last episode to this one, the only thing they've shown is that Ben tried (and failed) to vote Jeremy out.  So, Ben is angry that Jeremy didn't get bounced???  I could see Jeremy being angry at Ben, but not the other way around.  Any normal survivor player would be trying to placate Jeremy instead of acting like a petulant toddler.

I was wondering the same thing, especially since Jeremy seemed confused at Ben's hostility and said that they were ride or dies at one point (which also confused me).  I'm wondering if it's that Jeremy is looking to be Tony's #2, and Ben wants that for himself.  Or he thinks that if Jeremy's around, since Ben thinks he himself is a big target, that people will turn on him.  Which obviously hasn't happened yet.  But yeah, there was definitely some deep seeded anger there.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, leocadia said:

They also show Ben expressing his belief that Jeremy is going to win, no matter who sits with him at the end.

... and it does look like Ben truly believes that if Jeremy is still there at the end, he’s going to win no matter what. That’s why Ben doesn’t wanna talk to Jeremy or anything. He wants him gone.

What I don’t understand is why isn’t Ben seeing that with Tony? Why isn’t he seeing that Tony is the master of the game? Frankly, why is Kim the only one to see it? Kim sounded the alarm to everyone else and everyone else doesn’t really seem to get it.

Rob saw it and he’s on the outside looking in, not really know what’s going in back at the main camp.

Tony has gotten everyone to think that Tony is so essential to their game that he has to stick around... and nobody else sees it. I’m betting that they still won’t EVEN AFTER THAT WAS PUT ON DISPLAY AT TC FOR EVERYONE TO SEE.

• Love 5

I don't blame Denise. I'm old and cranky and I had had enough. I don't think she meant to be mean to Jeremy, I think she was just being adamant. We also have no idea how long that tribal really was. How long were they sitting there going over and over and over the same crap? I'd be tired and DONE.

I don't mind Tony or anyone else really. I think Tony will probably win, but since the majority of those left playing are handing it to him.... I guess he's earned it.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, Cornhusker12 said:

Tribal should be a separate "sacred" place where we and the jury see the result of gameplay, not just some new location where gameplay resets and plays out in a less strategic and less entertaining way.

I agree with this so much, but do have some exceptions.  TC should be treated differently than regular game play, in terms of overt plotting that not everybody is in on.  I mean this in terms of whispering with X and then with Y, or with X and Y together in a huddle, etc.  It's the same to me as taking a walk to the well with X and then meeting Y on the beach, or what have you.  When you get to TC, that time is OVER.  BUT! I don't mind the evolution to a different style once at tribal.  If you're learning something that might switch things up, then you either covertly try and signal alliance members, or just say it out loud.  Like when, I think it was Rob, told someone in some past season something like 'here's plan A, but if I put my hand on your shoulder, then it's plan B'.  Or I don't mind them trying to communicate strictly through glances or head nods at TC.  I also don't mind when someone gets fed up and just blurts to everyone 'Well, I'm voting for ......, if you want to vote with me'.  I know many might not see a difference because we all have different lines in the sand, but the two I mentioned never bothered me.  This new style bothers me a lot. 

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

[Sarah's] first season she bragged about how much more observant she was than most people. She said she is the only one who would notice if the car ahead of her in traffic had an expired registration. That is something I notice all the time and I never thought of it as any kind of superior skill, so I viewed her as extremely arrogant. She hasn't done anything to change my mind about that. She is extremely arrogant.

Yes!  Which calls to mind the quote of hers that makes me despise her the most.  After she got the advantage that was sitting underneath Michaela's feet on the sit out bench.  "I'm a cop.  I NOTICE things."  Said in her annoying whiny voice.  I agree that Sarah is extremely arrogant, she's just not as loud about it as Tony.

• Love 4

What I love most about Tribal Council is how the open discussion clues this or that person in to what's going on.  I love to see the dawning realization come across their faces, and then the wild looks, and then the verbal scrambling,  Then the ensuing panicked discussion exposes more dirt, then someone else starts to panic...  There's always a Denise constantly intoning "stay on target....stay on target...."

The whispering takes all that away.

• Love 3

WHY. IS. BEN. STILL. THERE.

Seriously, he’s annoying the crap out of me for the maybe 25 minutes he’s on my screen every week. I can’t imagine having to live with him. And I don’t see him as a great choice to drag to the end — he’s untrustworthy, and, as Jeremy so accurately pointed out, completely petulant when he doesn’t get his way. I have to keep reminding myself that he won his season (possibly with producer assistance; YMMV).

In other news, since I praised Kim’s game last week, she, of course, had to idiotically step down this week without having one of the 7,000 in-game advantages as a backup plan. Therefore, on the off-chance that I possess the power to curse through time and space, go Ben! And go Tony. Your smarmy, hyperactive arrogance does not annoy me one bit. 😁

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, eskimo said:

I agree with this so much, but do have some exceptions.  TC should be treated differently than regular game play, in terms of overt plotting that not everybody is in on.  I mean this in terms of whispering with X and then with Y, or with X and Y together in a huddle, etc.  It's the same to me as taking a walk to the well with X and then meeting Y on the beach, or what have you.  When you get to TC, that time is OVER.  BUT! I don't mind the evolution to a different style once at tribal.  If you're learning something that might switch things up, then you either covertly try and signal alliance members, or just say it out loud.  Like when, I think it was Rob, told someone in some past season something like 'here's plan A, but if I put my hand on your shoulder, then it's plan B'.  Or I don't mind them trying to communicate strictly through glances or head nods at TC.  I also don't mind when someone gets fed up and just blurts to everyone 'Well, I'm voting for ......, if you want to vote with me'.  I know many might not see a difference because we all have different lines in the sand, but the two I mentioned never bothered me.  This new style bothers me a lot. 

Yes I'm absolutely in agreement there. Well said!

I'm with everybody else who hopes that Jeff institutes some new rules that apparently used to be unspoken rules, mainly that every player needs to stay in their seat once they're at Tribal. That would eliminate most of the annoying new trends.

Edited by Cornhusker12
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, skybolt said:

But Jeremy's statement was game play. What he said was absolutely valid. On the other hand, the hand to the face and the "I'm done" was really demeaning.

So... dismissive and/or demeaning behavior is out of bounds, but direct threats are not?  Gotcha. 🙄

Here’s my take:

1. Both are perfectly within bounds, so long as the player in question is prepared to deal with the subsequent fallout.
  2. The fact that Jeremy wants to talk game to Denise does not somehow create an automatic obligation to listen on Denise’s part, nor does it give Jeremy some right to compel Denise to listen.
  3. Regarding #1: assuming Jeremy survived this TC (which he did), once they got back to camp IMHO Denise could’ve walked back her dismissive rejection without too much trouble by simply framing it to Jeremy as aggravated disgust with the whisperfest as a whole, and nothing specifically targeted at him - and while Jeremy might not totally buy it, he might at least have some doubt as to how directly Denise might be considering Jeremy as a target.  But on what planet can Jeremy walk back his statements to Denise?  There was zero gray area in Jeremy’s game threats, no maneuvering leeway whatsoever - and Jeremy made those threats to one of the only two people 100% guaranteed to be making it back to camp after TC.  Which is why game-wise, I consider Jeremy’s remarks to be 1000x outright stupider than Denise’s.

YMMV

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, fishcakes said:

As for Tony's bent arm in the challenge, back when Shii Ann won this challenge in All Stars, someone noted that she was the only one who held her arm locked straight and everyone else's was bent and that person said it's easier to hold your arm up straight rather than bent. My totally unscientific opinion (based on holding my arm up bent and then holding it up straight) is that that person was correct. The weight of the arm seems to distribute more evenly when the arm is straight; when it's bent, I can feel the weight in my upper arm. I'm not surprised Kass is fomenting conspiracy theories about it, though. She's such a bitter llama.

Thanks for the explanation and sharing the results of your experiment. 🙂.  I give zero effs about Kass and her conspiracy theories but I did mention to Mr. Suite that everyone but Tony looked so stretched out and awkward--as the challenge went on, Tony's bent arm just seemed to be an advantage for his balance (at least from my perspective). 

And yes---Kass is such a bitter, irrelevant llama.

1 hour ago, skybolt said:

She could've definitely handled that better. She could've nicely told Jeremy, "I understand your situation, but I've already made up my mind and am ready to vote. Please don't take it the wrong way". Really, anything would've been better than the hand to the face. It was like she took out all her anger of players scrambling again at tribal to not go with the easy vote, on him.

THIS.  I've been a Denise fan all along but that really rubbed me the wrong way.  And I didn't take Jeremy's reply to be a threat but more of a shocked reminder that she could need him tomorrow.  I hope they find a way to mend that rift.  I have a feeling that Denise will seek J out and apologize firstly because she seems like a mature, cool person who briefly lost her shit but mainly because she's found herself on the wrong side of the vote for two Tribals straight so she needs allies.

• Love 6

This season is a big boring fail. Compare it to Survivor Australia All Stars, which was thrilling and entertaining from start to finish without all the gimmicks. It must be killing Probst. He needs get over himself and listen to what the viewers want going forward. 

It kills me that they are going to say the winner of this crap season is the GOAT. 

7 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

as the challenge went on, Tony's bent arm just seemed to be an advantage for his balance (at least from my perspective). 

I'm curious if Tony was simply able to hold his arm in place at an angle without letting it fall far enough down to pull the water, while other non-musclebound people weren't able to keep their arms up as high when they risked letting their elbow bend. So he could have a little bend while others needed to stay extended to prop their arm up all the way. No need for weird Kass conspiracies in my opinion haha.

Edited by Cornhusker12
  • Love 4
25 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

THIS.  I've been a Denise fan all along but that really rubbed me the wrong way.  And I didn't take Jeremy's reply to be a threat but more of a shocked reminder that she could need him tomorrow.  I hope they find a way to mend that rift.  I have a feeling that Denise will seek J out and apologize firstly because she seems like a mature, cool person who briefly lost her shit but mainly because she's found herself on the wrong side of the vote for two Tribals straight so she needs allies.

It’s funny how Jeremy and Denise may have just switched positions now. Now she may come to realize Jeremy’s words (“you sure you wanna do that. You’re only safe for tonight”) may actually have some weight behind them.

Jeremy’s back was against the wall for the last two TC previous to this episode’s. Denise went with the numbers. Now, Jeremy’s sitting pretty for now, and Denise’s biggest ally just got voted out and she’s now out of the majority.

Tony is now in Jeremy’s real alliance rather than pretending to be, at least for now. Ben and Jeremy have just worked together.

It looks like Denise is in a pretty vulnerable position.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, eskimo said:

Yes!  This really ticked me off.  I dislike the plotting during TC enough, but letting them discuss whether to use idols and advantages AFTER THE VOTE was something else altogether, IMO.  I thought maybe Jeff would draw the line there, but nope.  I also expected more of an uproar here over that.  Players should have to decide for themselves in that tense moment if they've read the other players well enough. 

It's annoying but not unprecedented. I noted above that other players like Malcolm and Natalie have talked to others before an idol is used.

I gotta tell ya... I can't believe I'm watching an all stars edition...and these people actually won? I mean seriously no game play at all! Tony love him or hate him is the only one right now playing. I was looking forward to this season but seeing it play out and what we have left is pathetic.

• Love 9
52 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

This season is a big boring fail. Compare it to Survivor Australia All Stars, which was thrilling and entertaining from start to finish without all the gimmicks. It must be killing Probst. He needs get over himself and listen to what the viewers want going forward. 

It kills me that they are going to say the winner of this crap season is the GOAT. 

Hah.  Jeffy drinks his own kool aid, so there's absolutely no way that Jeffy is clutching any pearls about this season.  I am absolutely certain that he thinks this season is the best season ever.  

• LOL 1
19 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Also, I want to thank Ben and Nick for the laughs tonight.  I'm sorry Nick is taking such a beating online, and is unhappy with his edit-but when Tony was grilling him about whether or not Kim was coming after him, and Nick was not looking at him and was all 'ummmm'.  He might as well have just told Tony the truth.

I thought Nick should have thrown Ben under the bus. Tony said Ben spilled the beans, so if Tony wants to know who brought his name up to the group I would tell him it was Ben! Obviously Nick couldn't trust Ben to keep a secret, so might as well make him Tony's next target.

18 hours ago, riprock said:

The more I think about it, the more I think that two immunities today made no sense. This isn’t a challenge where men should have a natural advantage over women, which is generally why they’d put up two immunities to begin with. I’m no biologist or doctor, but I don’t follow. Denise is fit af and Tony is built too; that's not gender, it’s gym time.

Also this is a challenge that has been won 7/8 times by women.

5 hours ago, skybolt said:

One question I have is how are seating arrangements determined at tribal council? Did Tony sit next to Jeremy on purpose or does production have assigned seats for each episode?

I've wondered this too.

53 minutes ago, Cornhusker12 said:

I'm curious if Tony was simply able to hold his arm in place at an angle without letting it fall far enough down to pull the water, while other non-musclebound people weren't able to keep their arms up as high when they risked letting their elbow bend. So he could have a little bend while others needed to stay extended to prop their arm up all the way. No need for weird Kass conspiracies in my opinion haha.

Maybe Tony has longer than average arms. I think the rope length is determined by the person's height, so if he has long arms for his height he would be able to bend his elbow while people with average length arms would need to hold them straight.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, OldWiseOne said:

I thought Nick should have thrown Ben under the bus. Tony said Ben spilled the beans, so if Tony wants to know who brought his name up to the group I would tell him it was Ben! Obviously Nick couldn't trust Ben to keep a secret, so might as well make him Tony's next target.

I thought so as well. Once Nick told Tony no one was discussing voting him out, he should have committed to the lie. Tony threw Ben under the bus, Nick shouldn’t have had a problem backing up the bus and running Ben over again. For all Nick knew, Tony could have been lying and fishing for information.

If you’re gonna lie in the game, die with the lie! Deny everything, only your version matters. Nick should have walked Tony over to Kim and hoped Kim has a good poker face and ready to improvise and said “Kim, can you believe Ben accused all of us plotting against Tony when it was really Ben plotting a blindside? Since Ben is spreading lies and playing us all, I say we target Ben.”

Edited by AntFTW
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, rhygirl720 said:

I gotta tell ya... I can't believe I'm watching an all stars edition...and these people actually won? I mean seriously no game play at all! Tony love him or hate him is the only one right now playing. I was looking forward to this season but seeing it play out and what we have left is pathetic.

I've mentioned this before, but I do believe the new school players became complacent after getting rid of big old school threats by just banding together and voting them out. They were also helped by players like Yul and Sandra. It's hard to change your game if what you're currently doing has gotten you this far. I also truly believe that players like Michelle, Ben or Nick believe that if they just make it to final tribal they can win (even against Tony). With practically everyone having a jury vote, people like Danni or Ethan have no clue what Tony or Sarah is doing other than what they see at tribal. Many castoffs never got a chance to play with these players since they got voted off so early in the game. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why we have so much going on at tribal because players want to showcase their skill set to the jury and not just have them base their votes on "oh, I at least met Michelle, so I'll vote for her."

• Useful 1
20 hours ago, SoWindsor said:

How did Tony get Nick to vote for Kim?

Why was Tony going to give Sarah his idol?

Why was Tony so confident in telling Jeremy not to play his advantage?

That was a confusing tribal.

And will Jeremy return that advantage to Michelle??

4 hours ago, fishcakes said:

He's earned the win, and the funny thing is that he's playing basically the same game as he played in Cagayan and people are letting him. 

This is why it's so boring/frustrating to watch for me. Watching people fall for Tony's shit wasn't interesting the first time so it's even less interesting now with people who really should know better.

My totally unscientific opinion (based on holding my arm up bent and then holding it up straight) is that that person was correct. The weight of the arm seems to distribute more evenly when the arm is straight; when it's bent, I can feel the weight in my upper arm.

After Kass' post I tried it out and I came to the same conclusion. When I bent my arm, my shoulder immediately started burning. Tony actually mentioned how his shoulder was hurting right away as well. Tony lucked out that there was a male winner and that Nick is an idiot because he likely wouldn't have won otherwise.

4 hours ago, BrooklynRat said:

... i still hate the idea of the jury picking the least offensive or most likable player.

But that's what they always do lol.

4 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

FWIW I think by the time Denise threw up her hand and said "I'm done" I think she knew that the tide had turned against Kim and she just wanted to get it over with. 

I don't think she had any idea or else I feel pretty confident she too would have voted for Kim.

3 hours ago, Nashville said:

This was my take as well - that Denise’s discussion rejection wasn’t directed specifically at Jeremy, but at the whole sophomoric whisperfest.

Zero doubt, though, that Jeremy’s response - “You sure you want to do that?  You know you’re just safe tonight, though, right?” - was a targeted threat aimed directly at Denise, and she handled it much more diplomatically than I would have under such circumstances.

This!

• Love 6

I actually admire Boston Rob for finishing the task on EOE.  He also has four daughters watching him play which may want him to set an example.  It could also be a bit of a dig at Sandra who really did quit.

I'm good with Tony winning (if he does-no spoiler, just based on the comments of other posters) as he is at least playing (or trying to play...).  I mean, really, Kim hatches a plan to get him out and then steps off for peanut butter and cookies instead of trying to win immunity for herself?  Tony was her target, but once she realized there would be two winners she should have tried in order to guarantee moving forward.  There have been enough tribal councils in which the target switches to someone else.  And, as someone else noted, an all-winners season and THREE step off for peanut butter (and Ben really wanted to but he didn't last long enough to have it offered).  So, FOUR people were willing to step off for food.  I don't think the jury would vote for someone who stepped off to win the 2 million dollars-they seemed shocked/saddened/surprised that people stepped off.

• Love 10

My totally unscientific opinion (based on holding my arm up bent and then holding it up straight) is that that person was correct. The weight of the arm seems to distribute more evenly when the arm is straight; when it's bent, I can feel the weight in my upper arm.

32 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

After Kass' post I tried it out and I came to the same conclusion. When I bent my arm, my shoulder immediately started burning. Tony actually mentioned how his shoulder was hurting right away as well. Tony lucked out that there was a male winner and that Nick is an idiot because he likely wouldn't have won otherwise.

Thinking about this more though, when you have your elbow bent, there's more slack on the rope so you can move your arm more without knocking down the bucket than you could with a straight arm.

• Love 1

What I love most about Tribal Council is how the open discussion clues this or that person in to what's going on.  I love to see the dawning realization come across their faces, and then the wild looks, and then the verbal scrambling,  Then the ensuing panicked discussion exposes more dirt, then someone else starts to panic... 

For this to happen Every. Single. WEEK though . . . I mean, is everyone that indecisive? That the minute they sit down at tribal they start going around questioning everyone and second guessing themselves? Seemingly, week after week, they go to tribal unsure of what they are going to do. EVERY. WEEK.

I just don't buy it. This only started happening in the last couple of seasons and now it happens all the time. Either the players are just that horrible at this game (ironic in an all-winners season) . . . or the producers are putting them up to this.

My money is on the latter.

• Love 2
Just now, peachmangosteen said:

Thinking about this more though, when you have your elbow bent, there's more slack on the rope so you can move your arm more without knocking down the bucket than you could with a straight arm.

I'm not sure if that's true, but it depends on when they adjust the rope length. If they do it before the challenge (based on height and how long the person's arms are), which is what I always assumed they did because Jeff used to announce that the stations were adjusted for height, then the rope length is already set and you have the same amount of slack whether your arm is bent or straight. OTOH, if they do it after the player puts their arm in, and they tighten it up based on your initial arm position, then there would be less slack for the straight arm people. But since they should be able to figure that out as it's happening, it's kind of their own fault if they straighten out their arm as the rope length is being determined.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, blackwing said:

Was it?  I didn't think so.  Sarah was monologuing about "who is Sarah Lacina?  People see me as smart.  Or funny.  And pretty."  It sure didn't sound like a joke to me.  Because if it was truly a joke then she would be saying that she is dumb, boring and ugly.  There's no way Sarah really thinks that about herself.  I do feel like she really believes she is smart, funny and pretty.

Was this part before they showed the fashion show? I thought she was kidding too, playing the part of the worldly, sophisticated fashion designer. That's how I read it. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

For this to happen Every. Single. WEEK though . . . I mean, is everyone that indecisive? That the minute they sit down at tribal they start going around questioning everyone and second guessing themselves? Seemingly, week after week, they go to tribal unsure of what they are going to do. EVERY. WEEK.

I just don't buy it. This only started happening in the last couple of seasons and now it happens all the time. Either the players are just that horrible at this game (ironic in an all-winners season) . . . or the producers are putting them up to this.

My money is on the latter.

I actually think it has more to do with strategy, since it's allowed. For instance, last week Tony waited until sundown before approaching Nick and Jeremy to blindside Sophie. After tribal everyone was on to to his shtick. So this time around he waited until tribal started to pull his shenanigans to see if he can control the chaos. At that point he had nothing to lose since he was already wearing a necklace. A few weeks ago Kim started the whispers, and former players like Rob C. were saying it's a good move to see if she can hear who's name is being called out. Do I like the whispering, heck no, but unfortunately production does. In contrast, I actually don't mind out-loud conversations before Jeff reads the votes. At least in that scenario everyone, including the jury can hear what's being said.

• Love 1

Two things:

1) I can just barely tolerate all the whispering before the vote, but all that after the vote really struck me as wrong. No deep reasoning, it just felt jarringly wrong. 

2) With her buff worn on her head, Sarah looked so much like the Girl with a Pearl Earring, I couldn’t think about anything else for a while. Except being annoyed by #1. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, pwdrpuff said:

Can someone help me out and tell me what happened to Amber. I don’t recall her leaving Exile. Thanks 

She's still on EoE. She had a brief confessional, talking about Rob finishing the coconut challenge even though it was over.

• Love 1

Eh, I'm mad for the Tony survival show. I just love his energy, in such a low energy season. I think he's playing really smart, but not low-key! 

Beedy-eyed Kim getting snuffed was the icing on the cake. I never could understand her weird Svengali-like hold on her tribe in her season, one of my least favorite winners and seasons of all time.

Rob saying admiringly that Tony's a boss was the cherry on top.

I seem to be in a minority to be thrilled with the last two episodes and how the game is shaping out for Tony, so far. It's been such an unfun season for the most part, and seeing someone mad zoom around cheerfully and win improbable immunities and soothe the wounded beasts and talk them round to vote his way, and switch the votes up so Tribal boots out someone other than the dull group's obvious ouster... Such fun!

Peanut butter has excellent 'mouth feel' - the sort you get from good chocolate - so I get why they crave it. But so dumb! Good times.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Cornhusker12 said:

Yes I'm absolutely in agreement there. Well said!

I'm with everybody else who hopes that Jeff institutes some new rules that apparently used to be unspoken rules, mainly that every player needs to stay in their seat once they're at Tribal. That would eliminate most of the annoying new trends.

Or if they are going to let people talk force everyone to wear a microphone and have the whispered discussions fed into Probst's ear so he can ask leading questions. Or make it so the whispered discussions are fed to speakers so everyone can hear.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Does Denise have fans? 

Not me.  There's something about her that rubs me the wrong way.  She's just not likeable.  When she was so rude to Jeremy at TC my GF had a minor tantrum, and our dog thought she was in trouble and got all upset!  I'm glad Jeremy called Denise on her bad behavior.

Tony is the only one that's really playing, so I hope he wins.  I know he's annoying, but at least he's working hard to win this.  If not Tony, then Jeremy because he has made some good decisions about his game, and when he hasn't, he's been damn lucky!  Not a big fan of any of the women (other than Parv & Natalie) this time, so the remaining ones can all get voted out.

Why did Amber even come back?  She doesn't do anything.  At least she could've walked around a bit while everyone else was breaking their asses during the coconut run.

• Love 2
(edited)

The players on EoE look like they are dying.  They are doing all these challenges, for what?  No one is getting back in the game.  I feel personally misled lol when, in the beginning, EoE was touted as a place to get back in the game.  
And I’m worried about Ethan and his health.  

Edited by Meowwww

After Rob fell, I thought I heard a helicopter. I was waiting for his medical evac, but I guess I took "cracked" his elbow as more severe than it was.

I did for a moment think that Amber might have dropped out (and I think probably would have if Rob was evacuated). Didn't look like she was trying for the coconuts.

I didn't like Tony in his first season, I don't like him here, though he is at least working for it. Although it seems he spends a lot of unnecessary energy getting the results he could have had with way less effort. Did the spy tree accomplish anything except more camera time (which may have been the desired effect)?

I'm not sure who I'm rooting for at this point. I was fond of Sophie, then she was gone. Kim's not so... whoops. Denise seems the best of what's left, but unless she can keep winning immunity, I'm not sure of her chances. I'm glad that Edge of Extinction is a factor, that someone I'm actually excited can come back. And I'm consoled that Tony doesn't have Spencer along this time, to tell the jury they're petty and stupid if they don't vote for Tony.

On 4/29/2020 at 8:07 PM, Eolivet said:

I think in addition to a Tribe Tracker, we need an Alliance Tracker. Maybe CBS would put a graphic at the bottom of the screen, like they do for idols: Aligned with, secretly aligned with, thinks they're aligned but not actually aligned with

If you want to add posts to the Tribe Tracker thread that track alliances, you're welcome to join me there.

I've offered to attempt to track alliances before...but trying it this season would seem to be exhausting.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, blackwing said:

Sarah was monologuing about "who is Sarah Lacina?  People see me as smart.  Or funny.  And pretty."  It sure didn't sound like a joke to me.  Because if it was truly a joke then she would be saying that she is dumb, boring and ugly.  There's no way Sarah really thinks that about herself.  I do feel like she really believes she is smart, funny and pretty.

And she should. Being your own #1 fan is not a bad thing. If you don’t think the best of yourself, why should anyone else?

• Love 6

I had to go make a peanut butter sandwich.  Yum.  It reminds me of Girl Scout day camp in the summers when I was a kid, and Mom putting them in my lunch because it was a safe food in the hot sun.  When Survivor has the big rewards, I always wonder how many of them will have digestive issues from eating rich food after being away from it for a stretch of time.

I hope Michelle doesn't win.  Her boring  tactic of not getting on anyone's bad side is for high school homecoming queen, not Survivor.  She should sign up for a show called "Least Offensive,

I'm rooting for Tony.  He works hard and plays hard (in every sense of the word), and I think there should be a Warner Brothers cartoon character based on him.

I'm glad Kim's gone, because when she was on screen, I always had to ask "Who the hell is that?" Now she'll be on EoE to confuse me more with her look-alike who I also can't remember.  Debbie? Dora?

Just now, EllenB said:

I had to go make a peanut butter sandwich.  Yum.  It reminds me of Girl Scout day camp in the summers when I was a kid, and Mom putting them in my lunch because it was a safe food in the hot sun.  When Survivor has the big rewards, I always wonder how many of them will have digestive issues from eating rich food after being away from it for a stretch of time.

I hope Michelle doesn't win.  Her boring  tactic of not getting on anyone's bad side is for high school homecoming queen, not Survivor.  She should sign up for a show called "Least Offensive, Most Bland."

I'm rooting for Tony.  He works hard and plays hard (in every sense of the word), and I think there should be a Warner Brothers cartoon character based on him.

I'm glad Kim's gone, because when she was on screen, I always had to ask "Who the hell is that?" Now she'll be on EoE to confuse me more with her look-alike who I also can't remember.  Debbie? Dora?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, EllenB said:

Dani.

It's true that all the interesting people (with the exception of Tony) are on EoE, but it really, really rubs me the wrong way that someone who was voted out can return.  And possibly win.  It completely negates the concept of "the tribe has spoken."

• Love 10

With the 50/50 advantage expiring after the next tribal, I honestly can't see a scenario where Jeremy gives it back to Michelle. Every time he appears to be on the positive side of the numbers after tribal, he's back at the bottom again by next week. Michelle will likely be safe anyway next episode.

If I were Tony I'd be really concerned about the returning EoE player (if he makes it that far). I can't see any scenario working out for him. Wendell returning would create the triple alliance with Nick and Michelle. Parvati, Rob, Yul and Tyosn would automatically gun after the top dog. Natalie would surely tell Jeremy, "hey dude, you won't be able to beat Tony". Sophie may go back to being Sarah's No. 1. I'm not including players like Danni, Ethan, Adam and Amber because I think they have zero shot of returning. His best option may be Kim, or perhaps Rob or Parvati, since they would automatically be perceived as a bigger threat than him.

• Useful 1
(edited)
33 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Dani.

It's true that all the interesting people (with the exception of Tony) are on EoE, but it really, really rubs me the wrong way that someone who was voted out can return.  And possibly win.  It completely negates the concept of "the tribe has spoken."

I'm a huge Parvati / Boston Rob fan, but at this point I would accept even someone like Ben winning than a returning player from EoE. For me it'll be like someone losing in a chess tournament in the first or second round, going into the adjacent room and winning a checkers competition, and then coming back and being crowned the ultimate chess champion. Apples and oranges.

Let's not forget that typically most of the big threats are taken out by the time we get down to 5. When the returning player from EoE enters the game at that point they're usually going up against 1 dominant player and 4 others with limited resumes. All the returning player has to do is convince the other 4 that so and so player will surely win the game because everyone on the jury is giving them their vote (based on their inside information). After the big threat is eliminated, all of a sudden the returning player has the best resume. 

Edited by skybolt
  • Love 3