Type keyword(s) to search

S40.E12: Friendly Fire

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

25 minutes ago, skybolt said:

With the 50/50 advantage expiring after the next tribal, I honestly can't see a scenario where Jeremy gives it back to Michelle. Every time he appears to be on the positive side of the numbers after tribal, he's back at the bottom again by next week. Michelle will likely be safe anyway next episode.

If I were Tony I'd be really concerned about the returning EoE player (if he makes it that far). I can't see any scenario working out for him. Wendell returning would create the triple alliance with Nick and Michelle. Parvati, Rob, Yul and Tyosn would automatically gun after the top dog. Natalie would surely tell Jeremy, "hey dude, you won't be able to beat Tony". Sophie may go back to being Sarah's No. 1. I'm not including players like Danni, Ethan, Adam and Amber because I think they have zero shot of returning. His best option may be Kim, or perhaps Rob or Parvati, since they would automatically be perceived as a bigger threat than him.

I’m thinking that whoever comes back from EoE would be an automatic target for the majority, whoever that majority is at the moment, no matter who the returning player is. Throwing votes at the EoE returnee is the politically easiest thing to do.

I’m trying to think what EoE returnee would really hustle the hardest once they return. Their back is immediately against the wall once they come back in. I can see the EoE returnee winning if they make it to the end. That’s the ultimate come back story and the remaining players may think the same.

To add to your best options, I would also include Tyson. Think of the ending story, making it back from EoE a second time, and being in the final three. That’s a non starter for all of the players. It would be difficult for Nick, Ben, Sarah or Michele to win against that.

I thought the coconut race on the edge was super anticlimactic. You only had to beat 5 players to get fire tokens. It was pretty obvious from the start that those 5 was going to include Ethan, Adam and Amber. When Rob hurt himself he made it clear that he probably wasn't in the running. So really there was only 1 person who was actually competitive that wasn't going to get tokens. They should have at least given an extra one for first place or something.

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

I’m thinking that whoever comes back from EoE would be an automatic target for the majority, whoever that majority is at the moment, no matter who the returning player is. Throwing votes at the EoE returnee is the politically easiest thing to do.

I’m trying to think what EoE returnee would really hustle the hardest once they return. Their back is immediately against the wall once they come back in. I can see the EoE returnee winning if they make it to the end. That’s the ultimate come back story and the remaining players may think the same.

To add to your best options, I would also include Tyson. Think of the ending story, making it back from EoE a second time, and being in the final three. That’s a non starter for all of the players. It would be difficult for Nick, Ben, Sarah or Michele to win against that.

You make some good points, but I do think that someone like Sophie (Ben and Sarah) or Wendell (Nick and Michelle) could work with the remaining players. 

2 minutes ago, skybolt said:

You make some good points, but I do think that someone like Sophie (Ben and Sarah) or Wendell (Nick and Michelle) could work with the remaining players. 

I completely agree.

To rank the goat status of the players that you listed:

1. Ben - greatest goat of the season thus far

2. Nick

3. Michele

4. Sarah - I’m torn between Michele and Sarah because they both have been riding a wave but Michele hasn’t been in the majority at all and therefore has been willing to make bolder (but subtle) moves like giving her up advantage to Jeremy, something I don’t believe Sarah would have done for anyone else.

I think that if Sophie or Wendell return, work with the players that were in their corner and get to the end, that’s a hell of a comeback.

3 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

I completely agree.

To rank the goat status of the players that you listed:

1. Ben - greatest goat of the season thus far

2. Nick

3. Michele

4. Sarah - I’m torn between Michele and Sarah because they both have been riding a wave but Michele hasn’t been in the majority at all and therefore has been willing to make bolder (but subtle) moves like giving her up advantage to Jeremy, something I don’t believe Sarah would have done for anyone else.

I think that if Sophie or Wendell return, work with the players that were in their corner and get to the end, that’s a hell of a comeback.

I agree with everything you said except for the last part. Wendell was voted out a while back. Him coming back and joining forces with Nick and Michelle to form a majority to vote out the other 3 players is just not that impressive to me. 

10 hours ago, Dominii said:

At least [Amber] could've walked around a bit while everyone else was breaking their asses during the coconut run.

Why? There was literally zero chance she could be one of the first 5 to do that. Why kill yourself for literally no reason? I struggle to understand why Amber even stayed in the first place. She has no chance to get back in so she's just depriving herself for nothing. I guess she's staying so she can help Rob. And also probably slightly because she knows the fans lose their minds when people quit and she doesn't wanna deal with that.

10 hours ago, Meowwww said:

The players on EoE look like they are dying.  They are doing all these challenges, for what?  No one is getting back in the game.  I feel personally misled lol when, in the beginning, EoE was touted as a place to get back in the game.  And I’m worried about Ethan and his health.  

They will get another chance to get back in the game though.

• Love 4

Primetimer's article brought up some interesting things about the supposed "Tony narrative" that the Survivor execs/producers are trying to push. I think that's BS. I do agree with them about the spy nest; I will say that it was sort of funny and simultaneously confirmed that a) Tony is up to his old tricks, and b) despite being up to his old tricks, he is changing it up (albeit a little bit). But in general, I agree that it didn't add anything to the plot development of the episode, and didn't need to be there.

Now, let's talk about alpha males and sexism and the "Tony narrative" and the "Boston Rob narrative".

First off, I'm a white male, and I'm a HUGE fan of Kim, and I was really bummed to see her get voted out. I think her season is one of my all-time favorites, and I think she's a really strong, independent, resourceful, and crafty player.

Second, I'm a big fan of Tony! I loved Cagayan - another one of my favorite seasons. Here's where the whole "The Survivor execs/producers are pushing the alpha male narrative" argument breaks down: every single one of those players on Survivor Season 40 have SEEN and KNOW all about Tony and his antics. They know that he is ALWAYS lying and ALWAYS scrambling to get his agenda fulfilled. AND YET for the past two episodes, many of them have been duped by him! He duped them into bailing him out from the extortion advantage, he duped them into voting out Sophie, and he duped them (specifically Nick) into voting out Kim. I'd say he's starting to look like someone I would vote for if I had to choose who gets the $2 million!

Next, Tony's comments about Kim being a "lower tier" player. Tony doesn't believe that - he isn't stupid! He knows how big of a threat Kim is, and he realized that when he heard Kim was trying to get him out. He acted swiftly to get her out of the game - again, another hallmark of a good Survivor contestant. He just says that "lower tier" stuff to inflate the egos of those he is working with who might more realistically be described as lower-tier threats (like Nick and Michelle and Jeremy).

Anyhow, it's been an awesome season. Looking forward to the last two episodes!!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:
12 hours ago, Dominii said:

At least [Amber] could've walked around a bit while everyone else was breaking their asses during the coconut run.

Why? There was literally zero chance she could be one of the first 5 to do that. Why kill yourself for literally no reason? I struggle to understand why Amber even stayed in the first place. She has no chance to get back in so she's just depriving herself for nothing. I guess she's staying so she can help Rob. And also probably slightly because she knows the fans lose their minds when people quit and she doesn't wanna deal with that.

I've seen a couple posts questioning or even denying Amber's participation in the coconut challenge. She did participate. They didn't show her much, but there was definitely footage of her going back and forth among the others.

I don't quite get the struggle to understand why Amber's sticking around. Why are Adam and Ethan, also long shots to get back in, still there? Just because Sandra peaced out because there was little chance (or because she rejected the whole EoE concept) doesn't mean others are going to do that. They have a desire to stick it out to the end. And Amber is participating in all the opportunities to get tokens, even if she just hands them to Rob, so it's not like she's hanging around just to hang around. She's doing what she can, same as the rest of them. And on the off chance that Rob or someone else she likes gets back in the game and makes it to the Final 3, then she can vote for them to win. She can't do that if she leaves.

21 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

I've seen a couple posts questioning or even denying Amber's participation in the coconut challenge. She did participate. They didn't show her much, but there was definitely footage of her going back and forth among the others.

I don't quite get the struggle to understand why Amber's sticking around. Why are Adam and Ethan, also long shots to get back in, still there? Just because Sandra peaced out because there was little chance (or because she rejected the whole EoE concept) doesn't mean others are going to do that. They have a desire to stick it out to the end. And Amber is participating in all the opportunities to get tokens, even if she just hands them to Rob, so it's not like she's hanging around just to hang around. She's doing what she can, same as the rest of them. And on the off chance that Rob or someone else she likes gets back in the game and makes it to the Final 3, then she can vote for them to win. She can't do that if she leaves.

If Natalie makes it back, I can totally see Parvati and Amber voting for her. Both those girls seem to love her. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, violet and green said:

I seem to be in a minority to be thrilled with the last two episodes and how the game is shaping out for Tony, so far. It's been such an unfun season for the most part, and seeing someone mad zoom around cheerfully and win improbable immunities and soothe the wounded beasts and talk them round to vote his way, and switch the votes up so Tribal boots out someone other than the dull group's obvious ouster... Such fun!

Absolutely! I get why people are annoyed by Tony's constant frantic energy but I happen to love it and think he's hilarious to watch. He's never mean spirited, he's become pretty self aware, he's always laughing about his own craziness, and more than anything he's providing life to this season in a much-needed way! I'm a huge fan of his constantly spinning wheels haha.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Cornhusker12 said:

Absolutely! I get why people are annoyed by Tony's constant frantic energy but I happen to love it and think he's hilarious to watch. He's never mean spirited, he's become pretty self aware, he's always laughing about his own craziness, and more than anything he's providing life to this season in a much-needed way! I'm a huge fan of his constantly spinning wheels haha.

I love it! Tony reminds me of Wile E Coyote and the Road Runner, but switches roles often. When he running around all over the place, Road Runner, and when he's snooping and up in his tree shack, Wile E Coyote.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Am I the only one who would have appreciated some extra voiceover explanations from Jeff throughout this season regarding the rules/point of Edge of Extinction and Fire Tokens? I keep getting confused about who has tokens, what they are using them for, why any of it matters, whether Edge Of Extinction has an end date, whether someone from Edge is still going to go back into the game, how the advantages from Edge being thrown into the real game helps anyone still on the Edge, why someone who was voted out first and therefore barely played the actual game should be able to vote for the winner, all of it just seems borderline pointless.

• Love 2

I feel the same way. Back in Cagayan I really disliked Tony and his antics. However, when we got down to 5 or 6 people, I started thinking to myself do I really want Trish, Kass or Woo to win this thing? I even had to admit to myself that the person I was cheering for (Spencer) was getting lapped by Tony when it came to strategy. Same thing with Rick Devens, I absolutely hated his personality, but at the end I preferred him a million times over Chris, Gavin and whoever that other lady was. I want the survivor winner to be deserving of the prize, even if I liked someone else who didn't do anything in the game. For instance, I'm not a Denise fan, but if she takes out Tony (on top of Sandra), please let her win over players riding other's coattails.

Am I the only one who would have appreciated some extra voiceover explanations from Jeff throughout this season regarding the rules/point of Edge of Extinction and Fire Tokens? I keep getting confused about who has tokens, what they are using them for, why any of it matters, whether Edge Of Extinction has an end date, whether someone from Edge is still going to go back into the game, how the advantages from Edge being thrown into the real game helps anyone still on the Edge, why someone who was voted out first and therefore barely played the actual game should be able to vote for the winner, all of it just seems borderline pointless.

I agree. It's like not even attempting to put lipstick on a pig.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, EllenB said:

When Survivor has the big rewards, I always wonder how many of them will have digestive issues from eating rich food after being away from it for a stretch of time.

There was that one guy from a few seasons back who went on a food reward that featured a bunch of grilled meats, veggies, salad, bread etc. and he was so, so, very excited to see the steak option that he completely stuffed himself with the steak.  The two women with him cautioned him that he should have some veggies, get some variety, but he was all "meat, meat, MEAT!!!!!"  And then.........had to leave on a medical because he was unbelievably constipated from his meat sweats.  That.......was an ignominious exit.

I've also read that others have mentioned "issues" with the rich food during the rewards.  It has to be so hard on them, with their depleted bodies, to try to use restraint when confronted with those feasts, knowing they'll regret it later.  But they just can't seem to help themselves!

All things considered, peanut butter is probably better for their bodies to process than, say, fettuccine Alfredo, or steak, or (dare I say it) coffee.

But still.  Never.  Ever. Step down from a challenge for food.  Not worth it.  KIM.

• Love 8

Also if Amber pulls the sail up she is off the jury right. So in the event that Rob makes it back in I am sure that he would appreciate that guaranteed vote. 

Not to mention if she stays and someone else leaves wouldn't she make more money? Because even though she was voted out she is still in the game right. So even though she got voted out before Sandra I would think her take home cash would be more than Sandra's. And if someone else bails I assume she would make more than that person.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I think there's a few reasons. One: if she quits, she doesn't go home anyway. She goes straight to Ponderosa. And also, if she stays on Edge, she's at least with her husband. She either stayed when Rob was in the game to be a guaranteed vote, or she stayed when Rob's been on Edge because at least she's with Rob for the rest of the time they're in Fiji anyway. Plus, she came back to Survivor all this time. Yes, she got voted out early, which is incredibly unfortunate for her, but I can see why she wouldn't want to just quit because she got voted out. There are still advantages to being at Edge still, and it's basically just because of Rob. 

• Love 4

I don't think there is any question why Amber would stay on the Edge.  Yes, it sucks and is tough, but at least she is with her husband.  If she quits, what's she going to do?  She will go to Ponderosa where she can sleep in a clean bed and take a shower and eat good food, but she will be all alone there with Sandra.  And probably thinking about her suffering husband the whole time.  And being completely disconnected from the game.  Unless she and Rob wanted to quit together (which he would never do), seems like a pretty easy decision for her.

I find her reasons for staying completely understandable and it never even occurred to me that she would quit.  Even Reem stayed on the Edge, and it was obvious from the start that Reem would have next to zero chance of returning.  Although I feel like Reem's desire to stay was motivated by pettiness and anger and a desire to stick it to the finalists during final tribal.  

• Love 5
23 hours ago, blackwing said:

Was it?  I didn't think so.  Sarah was monologuing about "who is Sarah Lacina?  People see me as smart.  Or funny.  And pretty."  It sure didn't sound like a joke to me.  Because if it was truly a joke then she would be saying that she is dumb, boring and ugly.  There's no way Sarah really thinks that about herself.  I do feel like she really believes she is smart, funny and pretty.

I don't agree.  Of course her peanut butter cost her.  Getting voted out definitely decreases your chances.  Before, she had a 1 in 8 chance to win the game.  Now, she has a 1 in 11 chance to be the EoE returnee... and that takes a lot of skill and luck as she has to outlast all of the other Edgers to get back in the game.  Then when she comes back in, let's say there are 6 people left, then she has a 1 in 6 chance.  There's a lot of variables of course but if you're looking at the probabilities and assume it that each person has an equal chance of returning / winning, she gave up a 1 in 8 shot (maybe 1 in 9 if you include the returnee) and in return now has a 1 in 66.

The "1 in 8 chance" cliche has always been BS.    In every Final 8 there are contestants with a 0 in 8 chance and others with better than a 1 in 8 chance.

It is kind of like claiming the last 8 teams remaining in a sports leagues playoffs all have a 1 in 8 chance.  They don't.

Based upon the only other EOE season, your best chance is to win the final EOE challenge as the EOE jurors are going to vote for that person, rather than for someone more deserving who made them jealous and bitter, by remaining in the game to the end, by playing well and not getting voted out.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

There was that one guy from a few seasons back who went on a food reward that featured a bunch of grilled meats, veggies, salad, bread etc. and he was so, so, very excited to see the steak option that he completely stuffed himself with the steak.  The two women with him cautioned him that he should have some veggies, get some variety, but he was all "meat, meat, MEAT!!!!!"  And then.........had to leave on a medical because he was unbelievably constipated from his meat sweats.  That.......was an ignominious exit

That would be FBI Agent Joe, who, I believe, also had not eaten red meat in years and yet decided to load up. There were also incidents in Africa (S3) and Panama (S12) related to eating at rewards and why on earth do I remember these? -__- 

13 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

That would be FBI Agent Joe, who, I believe, also had not eaten red meat in years and yet decided to load up. There were also incidents in Africa (S3) and Panama (S12) related to eating at rewards and why on earth do I remember these? -__- 

The one I remember is from Australia.  I think it must have been the merge feast, because back then, they'd all go gaga over a "reward" of a can of Mountain Dew or a bag of Doritos so I can't imagine there was a feast for a reward.  I vividly remember a scene of Colby frantically running through the woods looking for a private place to take a dump.  Because back then, they didn't poop in the ocean, they seem to have had a designated spot in the woods.  I also remember the season when an outhouse and toilet paper was an actual reward.

If Jeffy or producers read these boards, I really hope we see a "Survivor: Back to Basics" season soon.  Wouldn't it be great if Season 41 could be like this?  After a Season 40 of all winners and the biggest prize ever, remake/restart the series with Season 41.  No immunity idols, no Edge, no advantages, nothing.  Just straight up gameplay and alliances.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
33 minutes ago, ellenr33 said:

I wonder if the final chance to get back into the game is going to come down to something as simple as who on the edge has the most fire tokens!

With Natalie having 1 idol already in her pocket, I assume she can buy another one with all her tokens. If she makes it back she could be guaranteed final 4. Love Natalie, but that's ridiculous.

27 minutes ago, skybolt said:

With Natalie having 1 idol already in her pocket, I assume she can buy another one with all her tokens. If she makes it back she could be guaranteed final 4. Love Natalie, but that's ridiculous.

If you get back in the game all your fire tokens would be gone I would think! 

6 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

Why are Adam and Ethan, also long shots to get back in, still there? 

Exactly! I don't get why most of them stay tbh. I mean, I get it, I just can't relate and think it's stupid lol. But then, any time people quit this game I just think whatever, good for them, and not wow what a horrible person for quitting a game show.

5 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Not to mention if she stays and someone else leaves wouldn't she make more money? Because even though she was voted out she is still in the game right. So even though she got voted out before Sandra I would think her take home cash would be more than Sandra's. And if someone else bails I assume she would make more than that person.

I'm sure Amber already made a pretty penny for even coming on the show as she was likely a package deal with Rob and I imagine Production gave him a lot to return because they love him the most.

3 hours ago, ellenr33 said:

I wonder if the final chance to get back into the game is going to come down to something as simple as who on the edge has the most fire tokens!

I assume it'll be the exact same challenge they had in season 38 since the first EoE challenge in this season was exactly the same as the first EoE challenge in season 38. They can't even come up with new EoE challenges for fuck's sake! I would actually welcome it being about fire tokes since at least that'd be different and also it might make the fire tokens relevant.

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, blackwing said:

If Jeffy or producers read these boards, I really hope we see a "Survivor: Back to Basics" season soon.  Wouldn't it be great if Season 41 could be like this?  After a Season 40 of all winners and the biggest prize ever, remake/restart the series with Season 41.  No immunity idols, no Edge, no advantages, nothing.  Just straight up gameplay and alliances.

I'd also like to see them go back to challenges that actually had to do with survival such as signaling a rescue plane or building a stretcher or a raft to rescue someone or themselves.

Edited by eel21788
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Exactly! I don't get why most of them stay tbh. I mean, I get it, I just can't relate and think it's stupid lol. But then, any time people quit this game I just think whatever, good for them, and not wow what a horrible person for quitting a game show.

That's fair enough, and for the record, I don't think Sandra's a horrible person for quitting the game. Anyone's choice to stay or go is justified, because it's their choice and I'm not in their head to know for sure what they're thinking or how they're feeling. I mean, I might give Osten, for example, some side-eye for leaving because his stated reason (my body is my temple and I have to take care of it!) seemed a bit of a cop-out, but like you say, it's a game show, so it's no big deal.

Mostly I just feel protective of my (I mean Rob's) girl Amber and feel compelled to rise to her defense XD

Edited by tracyscott76
Fixing a quoting issue
6 hours ago, ellenr33 said:

If you get back in the game all your fire tokens would be gone I would think! 

I meant that she'll spend her tokens on the return challenge advantage and potentially another idol (similar to the first challenge the EoE players did).

11 hours ago, skybolt said:

If Natalie makes it back, I can totally see Parvati and Amber voting for her. Both those girls seem to love her. 

Totally deserved!

15 hours ago, skybolt said:

I'm a huge Parvati / Boston Rob fan, but at this point I would accept even someone like Ben winning than a returning player from EoE. For me it'll be like someone losing in a chess tournament in the first or second round, going into the adjacent room and winning a checkers competition, and then coming back and being crowned the ultimate chess champion. Apples and oranges.

Before this season, I would have agreed with you 100%. Chris what’s-his-name returning and winning last time was ridiculous. But this time, I would be a little more open to the idea. Mostly because the show has been running those players ragged. They haven’t just been sitting and waiting for a chance, they’ve been competing and strategizing in their own way. I see it as a parallel game, just one we haven’t seen as much of.

But it’s also because Ben and Michelle are still prominent in a dwindling group of eligible contestants. I’d rather see Sandra, fresh from the beauty salon and manicurist, float in on a sequined raft and snatch the crown from Jeff’s hands than see it given to one of those clowns.

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
On 4/30/2020 at 1:00 AM, Wandering Snark said:

Sarah  and I both found a lot 'not to love' last week with his taking out his ally's closest ally just so he could be King Kong. It wasn't cool to chop out an ally's legs like that. Most paranoid player ever. Still not a fan.

I might have not been cool but it was smart.  I mean Sophie was not a number for Tony she was a number for Sarah, so why would he want Sophie to stay?  It is all about limiting Sarah's options, he took an option away from Sarah and thus made her rely more on him.

Now I personally think he might have done it too early and it could have backfired on him big time, but I still think it was a good move.

• Love 8
On 4/29/2020 at 10:43 PM, Lantern7 said:

Am I naive to think there is no fix for Tony? I get why he’d annoy a lot of fans, but he hustles and he plays. Yeah, hiding in a tree is a bit stupid and very dangerous, but if it works? It works. I’ll go as far as thinking Probst wants another guy to win, but I honestly don’t think Tony’s name is already on the check.

Another endurance challenge. Joy. Food temptation is involved, but it rubs me the wrong way. I guess nobody that gets cast is allergic to nuts. I’d be really hesitant to eat a cookie near peanut butter. 

Rob doesn’t get evac’ed from the game, so EoE was still extra. Honestly, I don’t anyone to get hurt, but I know CBS would’ve gone “Very Special Episode” if someone got seriously injured. Also, I had to reminded Amber is still in the game.

Good idea, but then you’d get people going on hands and knees to whisper. Truth be told, I could probably take one season of that.

At this point, why the fuck not? I mean, how many tasks has she pulled off on EoE? How much money has she earned and currently has?

The only good part of Thailand. Then she called the remaining players “Stupid, stupid people.” Given that Jenna, Rupert and Tom Buchanan were still in the game, she wasn’t wrong.

Tony is one of those douche alpha male types that Probst loves and his first season was the Tony show(and the season sucks IMO). Probst would asboulety want that annoying douche to win. 

• Love 1

I watched the tribal council a couple of times and still can't figure out when Nick switched his vote from Jeremy to Kim. For instance, Ben seems very reluctant, but since his best ally in this game is Sarah, when he thought they were targeting her, he likely switched his vote. However, just before Denise shushed Jeremy, Nick told Sarah and Michelle that Tony wants him to vote Kim, but he isn't. Wonder what happened for him to flip at the last minute?

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Totally deserved!

Before this season, I would have agreed with you 100%. Chris what’s-his-name returning and winning last time was ridiculous. But this time, I would be a little more open to the idea. Mostly because the show has been running those players ragged. They haven’t just been sitting and waiting for a chance, they’ve been competing and strategizing in their own way. I see it as a parallel game, just one we haven’t seen as much of.

But it’s also because Ben and Michelle are still prominent in a dwindling group of eligible contestants. I’d rather see Sandra, fresh from the beauty salon and manicurist, float in on a sequined raft and snatch the crown from Jeff’s hands than see it given to one of those clowns.

I want to agree with you because I genuinely would've preferred Natalie, Rob, Parvati and Yul over some of the remaining players. However, I'm not sure what game they're playing on EoE, but it's not survivor. Them starving and collecting firewood and coconuts is extremely tough, but they're not playing the real game where you have to strategize and vote someone out every 3 days. It's like me saying I climbed Mt. Everest because I starved myself for 2 weeks sitting in the middle of the forest feeling miserable. Even if I had less food available to me than the climbers during that time, I still didn't climb Mt. Everest.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Cornhusker12 said:

Tony's the reason I stopped watching. I'm so sick of him and I dont find entertaining in the least. Couldnt stand him the first time either and seeing these winners be idiots and play for him. Shitty fucking season

• Love 2
On 4/30/2020 at 3:51 PM, OldWiseOne said:

Maybe Tony has longer than average arms. I think the rope length is determined by the person's height, so if he has long arms for his height he would be able to bend his elbow while people with average length arms would need to hold them straight.

I'd be pretty certain that before the challenge ever starts, part of the initial comp setup involves the crew measuring to make sure no one player has more slack (or less) than any other player.

That being said - any starting position which grants you even a fraction more leeway to move about once the contest starts is preferable, even if initially more uncomfortable.

19 hours ago, skybolt said:

With the 50/50 advantage expiring after the next tribal, I honestly can't see a scenario where Jeremy gives it back to Michelle. Every time he appears to be on the positive side of the numbers after tribal, he's back at the bottom again by next week. Michelle will likely be safe anyway next episode.

Honestly, that’s exactly why I think Jeremy would - or should - give the 50/50 back to Michele.  Keep the 50/50, and what’s Jeremy got?  A half-shot at immunity, good for one TC only, and bad karma with Michele (and any allies she might have) for screwing her over on an act of her goodwill.  Even if the 50/50 does works at the next TC - in such a game context, is it worth THAT deep a poisoning of the jury well?  If Jeremy returns the 50/50 to Michele, though...

1. Michele feels vindicated in her trust of their relationship.
  2. That expansion of goodwill would quite likely extend to one or more of Michele’s allies.
  3. If Jeremy does feel in jeopardy at the next TC, odds are he could talk Michele into lending the 50/50 to him again.
  4. Even if Michele doesn’t lend Jeremy the 50/50 a second time, his enemies (a) won’t know that and (b) probably don’t know the uncertain nature of the advantage anyway - and after Jeremy’s agonizing “do I / don’t I” performance at last TC, they have every reason to believe Jeremy is walking around with a genuine HII in his pocket.

...all of which is why IMHO Jeremy returning the advantage to Michele is the strategically superior game move.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:
Mostly I just feel protective of my (I mean Rob's) girl Amber and feel compelled to rise to her defense XD

Oh, I love Amber. I prefer her to Rob. I was really excited about her coming back and disappointed she never really got a chance to do anything. I just think she's kind of an idiot to stay on EoE lol.

10 hours ago, skybolt said:

For instance, Ben seems very reluctant, but since his best ally in this game is Sarah, 

I feel like Ben and Sarah haven't even been shown speaking to each other since before the merge. Both of their main allies are Tony imo, which makes them both stupid but it is what it is lol. That's the problem, most of these people have decided to have Tony as their #1 when they have other options. 

• Love 3
On 5/1/2020 at 1:25 PM, blackwing said:

the best way to do that would be to not tell them at all about the changes. let them all hunt for idols and advantages that aren't there. I think it would be great to hold off on a merge until the final three or four -- keep everyone as separate as they could for as long as they could. and go back to starving them -- make them really hunt for food so the game takes more of a physical tool than an emotional one. 

Or even better, put out some fake idol making kits, so you'd have people trying to play idols that weren't really idols. Or just run two separate games, but have the juries only look at the TC of the tribe they didn't play for. It's a very fun show, but the last few seasons it's been more like 'Schemer" than Survivor. 

Now get off my lawn!

• LOL 3
24 minutes ago, EllenB said:

1) Sorry about the bizarre formatting on my posts.  My phone seems to hate Primetime.

2) I fell and chipped my elbow years ago.  It functions just fine, but I cannot straighten it out all the way.  Tony may have similar issues, especially since  with his hyper way of doing things, he's probably bouncing off walls, trees, floors, the ground, and ceilings all the time.

• LOL 3

I keep seeing posts asking why the remaining survivors don't just band together and vote out Tony. I think the main reason is that unlike Kim, Tony is actually putting in the effort to help other Survivors with their games (even if it's mostly for his own gain). Kim has always had great intuition, but instead of just telling others that Tony is a big threat, she should've been trying to convince everyone how keeping her could benefit their game. In contrast, Tony has literally saved Jeremy from being voted out twice, while keeping his 50/50 advantage. He also pulled Nick into the majority alliance after he was clearly on the outs after the Wendell and Adam vote outs. He shares everything with Sarah and was willing to use an idol for her, even though he knew the vote was between Jeremy and Kim. I don't know how, but he's convinced Ben that he's a big threat and needs a meat shield. Also, Ben rubs people the wrong way, but Tony has managed to be his best friend out there. He's also bribing players with fire tokens. It's like there are 6 Tony's out there catering to each player's needs 24/7.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

If Michelle, Denise & Nick did make it to the Final 3 it would be a pretty boring finale since they didn’t do much except for the Denise vote out of Sandra. Of course, if the do get there they deserve to be there. I’m curious to see how that plays out since it was in the episode. It must mean something, right? Although, Tony right now is running the show. He has a HII and might win more challenges or find more idols. He seems kind of unstoppable at this point. I guess we’ll have a better idea after Wednesday. 

• Love 1
On 5/1/2020 at 12:43 PM, HurricaneVal said:

There was that one guy from a few seasons back who went on a food reward that featured a bunch of grilled meats, veggies, salad, bread etc. and he was so, so, very excited to see the steak option that he completely stuffed himself with the steak.  The two women with him cautioned him that he should have some veggies, get some variety, but he was all "meat, meat, MEAT!!!!!"  And then.........had to leave on a medical because he was unbelievably constipated from his meat sweats.  That.......was an ignominious exit.

I've also read that others have mentioned "issues" with the rich food during the rewards.  It has to be so hard on them, with their depleted bodies, to try to use restraint when confronted with those feasts, knowing they'll regret it later.  But they just can't seem to help themselves!

All things considered, peanut butter is probably better for their bodies to process than, say, fettuccine Alfredo, or steak, or (dare I say it) coffee.

But still.  Never.  Ever. Step down from a challenge for food.  Not worth it.  KIM.

someone got pulled off the show because he was constipated? sheesh. 

but the whole Food/Poop thing has been a theme since Australia. I remember it was Colby and Amber and Amber was kind of sad that she didn't win anything fun and he pulled her into a hug and in his best Colby said "Think about it. We had a protein bar, and these guys are finding the nearest bush." 

Like i get wanting to have the nourishment etc but ... still. 

and the jumping down thing. also something people should have realised since Australia (since it wasn't really a thing in Boreno (nothing was a thing in Boreno lol). like i am legit waiting for someone to say the only way they are jumping off is if with that peanut butter and chocolate is a cheque for a million dollars, because other than that i wouldn't be getting off for anything. 

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, skybolt said:

I keep seeing posts asking why the remaining survivors don't just band together and vote out Tony. I think the main reason is that unlike Kim, Tony is actually putting in the effort to help other Survivors with their games (even if it's mostly for his own gain). Kim has always had great intuition, but instead of just telling others that Tony is a big threat, she should've been trying to convince everyone how keeping her could benefit their game. In contrast, Tony has literally saved Jeremy from being voted out twice, while keeping his 50/50 advantage. He also pulled Nick into the majority alliance after he was clearly on the outs after the Wendell and Adam vote outs. He shares everything with Sarah and was willing to use an idol for her, even though he knew the vote was between Jeremy and Kim. I don't know how, but he's convinced Ben that he's a big threat and needs a meat shield. Also, Ben rubs people the wrong way, but Tony has managed to be his best friend out there. He's also bribing players with fire tokens. It's like there are 6 Tony's out there catering to each player's needs 24/7.

Agreed! In addition, as great of an intuition that Kim had, she sucked at rallying the troops. She couldn't properly convey the vision she had of Tony, the guy who is making big moves, leading blindsides and winning challenges. She couldn't lay out the question of "knowing what you know as of right now, if we had the final TC right now and you're on jury, would you vote for Tony to win the $1 million? If yes, then he needs to go. Can you see others also voting for him? If yes, then he needs to go." Assume everyone doesn't know what you know. Assume everyone is clueless. Paint an extremely detailed picture for them.

The only person that seemed even slightly convinced was Nick. As of this episode, the only person that seems to understands that Tony needs to go is Nick. Nick mentioned his final 3. Nick knows he can't take Tony to the final 3. The question now is what will he do with this realization.

Lastly, just a few notes...

Tony literally paying for Ben's attention was hilarious.

By way of saving Jeremy in the Sophie blindside, Tony probably saved Michele as she probably would have been the easiest vote after Jeremy was gone.

Just a thought, Ben may be playing us all and using Tony as a shield.

1 hour ago, Daisy said:

someone got pulled off the show because he was constipated? sheesh.

The old guy (forgot him name) back on Michele's winning season.

Edited by AntFTW
(edited)

I realize that fire tokens are still super important to the EoE players, especially with the return challenge looming. However, are fire tokens now overvalued in the main game? With only one episode left before the return challenge, will someone like Denise who has acquired 6 fire tokens, get a chance to use them for something substantial? For instance, are we really going to see another advantage come into the game from EoE, or with one episode left, all of the EoE players will get a chance to collect fire tokens (similar to the coconut challenge)? Has Tony already realized this, which is why he's giving up fire tokens to win over people's loyalty? With 3 advantages still in play, I can't see another one coming into the game with only 7 players left. The only thing I can see is Jeff selling an advantage in the immunity challenge for 5 tokens.

Also, could the whole Ben vs. Jeremy drama come down to them going up against each other in a fire making challenge? That would be something. 

Edited by skybolt
  • Love 2
On 5/1/2020 at 6:40 PM, peachmangosteen said:

But then, any time people quit this game I just think whatever, good for them, and not wow what a horrible person for quitting a game show.

Not to veer off topic, but watched some of s7 with Osten this weekend and, 15 years later with my busted knees and various nerve damaged extremities without even being on the show...I get it. Probst always goes overboard about it, and of course they had Savage ready to moralize about the Moral Failures of Today's Youth, but this kid was looking at an unpleasant experience with potentially serious consequences in order to realistically make mid five figures.

So I'm okay with anyone on the Edge going if they want, because it really does seem a miserable thing with limited opportunity to advance unless you're in great shape and insanely competitive. And if they want to stay, for whatever reason, good enough.

I like the idea of the coconut challenge this time, but after a while it's just not as interesting to watch people struggle for inexplicable tokens.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, AncientNewbie said:

I like the idea of the coconut challenge this time, but after a while it's just not as interesting to watch people struggle for inexplicable tokens.

I like the idea of giving the EoE players various challenges and letting them strategize as much as possible. However, starving them makes absolutely no sense, especially since over 90% of them will be on the jury. I don't want the jury to feel like they had to go through a worse ordeal than the final 3 standing. I can just imagine someone coming back from Edge and getting multiple jury votes just because they had to endure so much. At this point I'd rather have someone like Adam or Kim come back so we don't have to hear about suffering on Edge of Extinction for 30+ days.

• Love 1
(edited)

Are Ben, Sarah and Jeremy stuck with Tony until the final 5 (assuming none of them get voted out sooner)? Jeremy has to realize now that for whatever reason everyone wants him out. If Tony goes next, the target will clearly be on his back. Plus, I can't see him turning on Tony just yet, especially since he saved him twice. Sarah is now likely 100% in Tony's corner, unless Sophie comes back. She may not agree with Tony's game, but I truly believe both players believe the other one is taking them to the end.

I'm not sure how anyone other than Sarah and Tony can trust Ben after him blabbing to Tony about Kim targeting him. I don't think he's enjoying this 4 person alliance with Jeremy, but I can't see him flipping yet. Maybe having an idol in his pocket will make him bolder to make a move on Jeremy, but I can't see him targeting Tony yet. 

Another reason why I think this alliance may work until final 5 is because of the unknown factor of the returning player. Sure, someone like Sophie could help Sarah and Ben's game, while Natalie would be a huge boost for Jeremy. However, why take a chance voting out allies if someone like Tyson, Rob, Parvati, or even Wendell (tight with Michelle and Nick) can blow up your game?

With the remaining players, which 2 would each person consider their closest allies?

Tony - Sarah & Jeremy

Sarah - Tony & Ben

Ben - Sarah & Tony

Nick - Michelle & Tony?

Michelle - Jeremy & Nick

Denise - I guess Michelle & Nick, but she's not their first or second choice

Jeremy - Tony and Michelle

Looking at the list above, it's Tony at 4, Michelle 3, Jeremy, Nick, Sarah 2, Ben 1, Denise 0.

Another thing to keep in mind is that on the surface it should be straight forward to take out a big threat like Tony. However, if you swing and miss and that person finds out, it could really blow your game. For instance, Nick went from being in Tony's top 3 to his 4th closest ally after Ben told Tony what happened. Now he finds himself in the minority. This game is not as easy as people think.

Edited by skybolt
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, skybolt said:

This game is not as easy as people think.

That's one thing that drives me nuts with the casual fans at work...they really buy the edit that Tony is the only one out there trying to play the game and the rest of them aren't scheming and plotting just as much, if perhaps not as successfully over the past 6ish days of tv time.

Brainstormy daydreaming, but I wonder how much time and effort would go into CBS revisiting older seasons (or even this one) for a Director's Cut long form version...like you see Samoa with Dave Ball and Brett having an alliance and how it sputters, or you get Michelle and whoever having a genuine chat in the shelter, and all the stuff that goes into the game but isn't relevant enough to the final tribal to get into the show. I'd probably even pay a premium on my CBS subscription for it, if if was done in a more documentary fashion and not just Rob/Coach/Hantz confessionals.

To bring it back to the present, I think something like that would go to Denise/Jeremy and the Snap Heard Around the Tribal. What's their relationship? I have no idea. So many people are quick to assume the worst about people, but I'm just left wondering about any context for that moment.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AncientNewbie said:

That's one thing that drives me nuts with the casual fans at work...they really buy the edit that Tony is the only one out there trying to play the game and the rest of them aren't scheming and plotting just as much, if perhaps not as successfully over the past 6ish days of tv time.

I think TPTB want to show successful moves as much as possible. For instance, they may not think it makes sense to spend half the episode seeing Kim trying to strategize over a move that eventually failed. It's just how the show has always worked.

48 minutes ago, skybolt said:

I think TPTB want to show successful moves as much as possible. For instance, they may not think it makes sense to spend half the episode seeing Kim trying to strategize over a move that eventually failed. It's just how the show has always worked.

I get it, I just wished they focused some on the unsuccessful moves and sometimes sent us to tribal not knowing Tony will escaped unscathed yet again.

• Love 2