Type keyword(s) to search

S45.E15: Daniel Craig/The Weeknd

• Start Topic

(edited)

Sorry for scaring everyone last week. I am here and ready to comment!

Cold Open: Kate is so good at playing reprehensible people. Laura Ingraham AND Jeanine Pirro AND the Trump brothers all in one sketch was just gold, as were the list of bigger things to be worried about. "Fat Barbies" and "Black marching bands: they're too good" were my favorites. And Darrell Hammond making a long awaited comeback as Chris Matthews was great. And they actually got the REAL Elizabeth Warren for this, and Kate for the win on that quick change. "Maybe I'll pull a New York Times and endorse them both." We could've had President Lisa Simpson, but NOOO...

(this concludes my political opinions)

Monologue/No Time to Die: Daniel Craig: Not a nerd! He's here despite No Time To Die being delayed due to the coronavirus (cough)missing out on China's ticket sales(coughs). The "clip" was amazing, I loved it.

The Sands of Modesto: Coronavirus sketch! An OCD soap opera is just a genius concept, I loved this. The makeup department earned another Emmy with Daniel Craig's hair. I lost it at Daniel wrapping Kate in plastic wrap, and watching her try to escape from it was such an amazing visual. I haven't laughed that hard at a sketch in a while (I still haven't watched last week's episode, I might change that opinion soon)

"I thought you died in that plane crash!"
"That's what they told me, but I'm okay!"

On The Couch: This was fun.

The Deirdre Show: Ego is starring in a sketch?! What madness is this?! This was an odd sketch, but Ego was great in this. Apparently this was cut from last week's episode? I can definitely see Mulaney doing better in Daniel Craig's role.

Debbie Downer: Forget Elizabeth Warren, THIS was the best cameo of the night. I wasn't feeling this too well until she brought up Trump, THAT'S when I lost it.

WU: Oh no, political humor is gonna shift to old jokes. Sure, it's definitely a change up from...what they do with Trump (showing actual footage of stupid stuff he said in the past few days), but I'm still not happy about it. Bottle Boi was odd, but I appreciated seeing Bowen Yang not playing a stereotype (although if there was ONE time to bring back his Chinese diplomat character, it would've been now).

Seeing TheWeekndUpdate again was great, as was seeing the return of The Girl You Wish You Hadn’t Started A Conversation With at A Party. They’re bringing back the hits tonight.

Casting: Wow, a sketch about Daniel Craig's accent in Knives Out. I thought Beck's character was unnecessary, as amazing as he looked. And then Beck and Daniel starting puking and it got funny and it got everyone to break (and apparently Mikey and Ego NEVER break)

Quotes: This was kinda dull (and apparently another sketch that was cut). I just felt a lot of tension, waiting for Daniel and Heidi to finally kiss.

Overnight Salad: This was so weird, but quite fitting for a 5-to-1. The salad was something you'd see in old cookbooks from the 70s, I gotta appreciate that.

So overall this was a good one! The show returns March 28th with John Krasinski.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Useful 2
  • Love 13
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Sorry for scaring everyone last week. I am here and ready to comment!

😂  It was so funny that everyone was freaking out.  I wanted to say, can we not let @Galileo908 just enjoy the weekend?????

It was so weird that The Weeknd had his face fake beat up for his songs.  I was genuinely concerned somebody beat him up backstage.  Was that a callback to "Uncut Gems", in which he had a small role?

Whenever a cast member has a really big role in an episode, I wonder if it's because the host really liked them or something.  Kate was Daniel's lover in at least 2 episodes!  Or maybe it's just because Kate it the show's MVP.

I felt so bad when I saw Melissa, because I had forgotten that she was still on the show.

I'm enjoying the weird Quotes sketch because Kate and Daniel have a very natural rapport/chemistry and I'm a movie freak that watches like 200 a year.  #FilmTwitter is going to LOVE it.   I can't believe how much Daniel got Kate to break.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7

I thought this one was pretty good. Not as good as last week, but it had it's moments.

And they got Elizabeth Warren! Wish they gave her something funny to do, but oh well. It was still cool as heck. And she stayed for the goodnights. I don't know why the whole cast wasn't rushing over to thank her.

With Chris Matthews, I kept waiting for the ghost of Zell Miller to challenge him to a duel.

Nice seeing Debbie Downer even if that whole sketch was strangely flat.

Is the Sands of Modesto the lower rated spinoff of the Californians? Just wondering. All the physical comedy and visuals were great.

Seeing Girl at a Party was probably the highlight of my night.

I was actually gagging at the thought of all that mayo in Overnight Salad.

• Love 11

I missed the first few minutes because my Tivo guide had the show starting at 9pm (Pacific time). Luckily, I was home to turn on the TV at 8:30 because my life is JUST THAT EXCITING. 

Things I liked: Elizabeth Warren in the cold open (Kate looked genuinely thrilled to meet her, even after having to do a quick change and run over there). I wish they could have come up with something better for her to say. 

Sleeping on the couch tonight: awesome. Especially "You don't have to stand there and watch me leave." "No, I don't have to, but I'm gonna." 

Sands of Modesto: those props!  

Che drinking during WU is working for me. I loved that the Girl ... at a Party came back. 

Overnight Salad: How could SNL make me feel sorry for this character in like 30 seconds?

Things that I didn't like as much:

Wedding reception: I thought that Debbie Downer was going to be an Amy Klobuchar sketch at first. Daniel's American accent came and went there, especially for the word "mask."

On the Deirdre show, did Aidy get beeped? This is another one that I thought dragged on too long. 

For me, Cecily and Bowen hugging Elizabeth Warren at the end were everything. I would have been like Cecily, waiting for my turn with my hands clasped in front of me. 

Someone sent me Kate and Elizabeth's tiktok: 

• LOL 2
  • Love 14
19 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm enjoying the weird Quotes sketch because Kate and Daniel have a very natural rapport/chemistry and I'm a movie freak that watches like 200 a year. 

Because you lost your job six months ago?  🙂 

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
Just now, Mystery said:

Because you lost your job six months ago?  🙂 

I work from home, so it's almost the same thing.  I wish I could say that I didn't watch as many movies when I was going into the office, but I totally was.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

it was ok, Craig wasn't the problem. Seemed to be more filmed bits than usual, though I didn't keep track or anything. Weird having a filmed piece in the monologue, almost like they couldn't find a place for it but spent too much money to scrap it. Liked the return of The Weeknd Update bit.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 3/8/2020 at 1:17 AM, vb68 said:

I was actually gagging at the thought of all that mayo in Overnight Salad.

Were you gagging worse than with two dudes (one of them the current James Bond) doing some mid-Nineties puking through "hidden" tubes?

"Nadine Sherman: Her Brain Was Bad"

On 3/8/2020 at 1:17 AM, vb68 said:

With Chris Matthews, I kept waiting for the ghost of Zell Miller to challenge him to a duel.

I forgot about that. I only really remember it on account on how The Daily Show reacted to ol' Zell back in 2004 (as well as Stephen Colbert challenging Jon Stewart).

Liz Warren FTW. Here were my thoughts: "Wait, Kate does Elizabe- HOLY SHIT, IT'S ACTUALLY HER!!!"

Oh, Debbie. Still talking up Feline AIDS at inappropriate times. The bit wit mentioning the president and the individual music notes was inspired.

On 3/8/2020 at 1:25 AM, SHD said:

I thought this week was a big letdown after last week’s Mulaney episode.

With all due respect to Daniel, what episode isn't a letdown after John Mulaney goes all-out the prior week?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, Mystery said:

On the Deirdre show, did Aidy get beeped? This is another one that I thought dragged on too long. 

On the Deirdre sketch, I was trying to decide which diva Ego had in her sights.  I thought there was just a splash of Whitney, but just a little. I guess the name Cookie kept making me think of Empire.

Just now, Galileo908 said:

The Deirdre Show sketch was based on that time Patti LaBelle was on Tyra Banks' show.

Thanks. That makes sense. she kinda had Patti's mannerisms.

To elaborate on my spin-off comparison, if The Californians were, say Dallas, then the Sands of Modesto was a very good Knots Landing.

• Love 2
(edited)

So, Pete Davidson was missing from the entire show?

I thought Chloe looked great with the brunette hair in the James Bond clip. She should keep it that way, it's much more suitable to her.

I loved the original Debbie Downer and it was good to have Rachel Dratch back again, but it just wasn't so funny this time. Years ago when it was new, it was unexpected, and then it was famous for everyone breaking. It just seemed too forced now.

Edited by Arkay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

With all due respect to Daniel, what episode isn't a letdown after John Mulaney goes all-out the prior week?

Fair point! 

42 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

😂  It was so funny that everyone was freaking out.  I wanted to say, can we not let @Galileo908 just enjoy the weekend?????

It was so weird that The Weeknd had his face fake beat up for the first song.  Was that a callback to "Uncut Gems", in which he had a small role?

No, he’s been doing this since his new songs have been coming out. The first video Heartless had him go to Vegas, and then in the Blinding Lights video (I absolutely love this song because it has such an 80’s vibe) he gets beaten up at the end. He also performed this song looking beaten up on Kimmel, and apparently his new short film After Hours has the aftermath of this fiasco. He truly is an entertainer (and sounds great live). Below is a better explanation.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/globalgrind.com/4363186/the-weeknd-bloody-saga-new-short-film/amp/

I almost fell off my couch seeing Elizabeth Warren. Wish she had more to do.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
(edited)

I'm from Toronto, so I've been seeing him live since 2012!  😄   I loved that Howie Ratner also went to a The Weeknd show in 2012 because I felt like I had lived an actual scene in that movie.

Thanks for the explanation.  His new music is so different than what I originally liked him for, so I don't know it as well. 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

What I loved about the Sands of Modesto wasn't just that it had great physical comedy but it also committed to having a solid ending which not my skits get.  Daniel and Kate walking out when Cecily sneezed was perfect.

And it was the first time they told that joke.  It didn't work quite as well when The Weekend did it in the Weekend Update or when Cecily did it when she was doing "girl you meet at a party." 

I did like the quotes game.  It was silly but I loved the little nod to Parasite. 

Overnight Salad made me uncomfortable.  Mayo "salads" deserve to be mocked but her husband's reaction felt abusive.  And it was not fun.

• Love 3

When Kate as Ingraham said they'd have Warren next, there was something in her voice (she almost broke) that made me wonder what was going on, but I just wound up wondering how they'd do that, if Kate was already on camera. AND THEN THEY HAD THE REAL WARREN! Did not see that coming AT ALL.

The bird in the Modesto sketch was extremely charismatic.

I give them credit for making any kind of humor out of the COVID-19 situation.

I was getting irritated by the music video at first. It just seemed more unforgivably sexist than usual, until they asked what they'd done, and the whole thing flipped.

I liked that Heidi finally played a different character than her usual, in the Quotes sketch.

WU was fun. I laughed a little extra at Colin's shades because they looked like the same ones Colbert wears to impersonate Biden.

The world might be ending, but I'm glad to be able to laugh anyway.

• Love 5

Like others upthread, I always enjoy a good “Weeknd Update” joke.  That subtle coronavirus cough was a nice touch.

I also got a good laugh out of the WU joke about how it was announced that South by Southwest was cancelled due to coronavirus, but it was also announced that coronavirus was headlining Coachella.  Me laughing at coronavirus jokes means I’m definitely going to get it, right?

Grade of F- to the accents sketch, which I had to turn off.  Vomit on TV makes me, no exaggeration, physically ill, and I don’t understand why people think it’s funny (or why dramas are so enamored of depicting it).  

If nothing else with the Debbie Downer sketch, I’m glad the sketch might help keep the reference in the public consciousness a little longer because I reference being a Debbie Downer all the time, followed by making the sad trombone noise.  And it’s comforting to know that Debbie is still out there pushing feline AIDS awareness.

• Love 6

Cold open: I thought we'd have Trumpwin, so having a more old-school CO was a nice departure. Good use of cast (yay, Alex Moffat!). I kept wondering if they'd dust off Darrell Hammond's Chris Matthews - glad they did. I had a feeling Elizabeth Warren would cameo. These can often go the wrong way into trying way too hard or seeming like a campaign ad, but I thought this one struck the right balance and Kate McKinnon's clear delight was sweet. And kudos to her for staying to the end of the show.

Monologue: Daniel Craig, handsome and charismatic as he is, still doesn't quite seem suited for live TV, so introducing a fun Bond riff (again using much of the cast) was a good idea. Kenan stole the show. Nice to see Chloe. I was half-expecting a PWB cameo.

Soap: I find these old soap spoofs played out, but this one mostly made fun use of the Coronavirus fears, with a good, committed central performance from Kate. The sketch kept up its energy for most of the way through and Cecily and Daniel were also fun (the butt shot of Daniel didn't hurt). The moment with Chloe felt a bit like passing the torch.

Couch: Always kind of nice to see a musical pre-tape which focuses on the musical talent of the cast (and MG) as much as the jokes. Went on a little too long (as per usual) but it was fine. Nice to see Melissa get something to do.

Deirdre: This was cut from last week. Always nice to see more of Ego. The bit with eating the foil made me laugh, and the "I have a gay husband," but I'm not sure it's ever a good idea to base a sketch solely on something most won't know. (Patti Labelle's Tyra appearance)

Debbie Downer: Who thought Rachel Dratch would take Wiig's cameo queen gig? Never a big fan of DD, but with a quiet host and the Corona stuff I get the return. Felt sluggish, but the 'awareness' of the characters worked, and the Trump bit genuinely made me laugh (especially Aidy's moment).

Update #1 Lots of good jokes - Che about why he votes for Democrats, Jost's Maybeline/maybe it's brain disease. I also liked the "Weeknd Update" gag, which I hadn't realized they'd done in his other appearances. Che and Jost are on a real roll lately.

Update #2 Bowen Yang reminded me of the old Lily Tomlin specials here. It wasn't funny, but wasn't necessarily intended to be. An interesting character piece. Would have been best served on the main stage, with dimmed lights, rather than Update. (this was cut from Mulaney's episode as well)

Update #3 Girl Who Started A Party. Another stop on the Cecily Strong goodbye tour? Enjoyed the use of props to help add to the general weird silliness. Some great lines ("vuvuzuelas" cracked me up) and a few I'm surprised got on the air. A nice sendoff for an old friend.

Accent Coach: A Fred Wolf tribute sketch, 25 years later. Whoda thunk it? (Fred Wolf wrote a lot of the vomiting sketches on SNL in the early/mid '90s) I enjoy when Beck Bennett gets to play shameless ham, and it was fun to see Mikey Day breaking, as he rarely does. Vomit sketches don't really work for me though, even if there have been worse. At least there was some energy.

Game Night: This was cut from David Harbour's and Adam Driver's episodes. I wonder how it would have fared with them. Strong performance from Heidi Gardner, but even if Kate hadn't broken so early and sort of checked out, I don't think it flowed very well. Still, there were moments.

Salad: Aidy Bryant always finds her niche with suburban despair. This felt like something from Liquid Television. It should have been animated, and also ran too long. Yet I liked it, and it was the best use of Daniel Craig all night.

Final thoughts: Daniel Craig is likeable, charming - not so good live, which meant they tended to write around him. One bonus is we got to see more of the cast (minus Pete...again!). Started out well but aside from a strong Update slogged after first 30 minutes. I guess it won't matter as Warren is what many will probably remember most from the night. 

I'd say middle of the road for this season, but I still wonder what would be if they could try to work on the sluggishness in direction and poor, lackluster execution of sketches. I am mostly here for the cast and sort of hoping they will address any of this next season.

I haven't watched Daniel Craig's last episode all the way through as an episode, rather than just watching the clips - I think I enjoyed some of the individual sketches in that one a little more but it also had one sketch I couldn't stand at all (Regine) so I'd give this one a slight leg up.

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I thoroughly enjoyed 'On the Couch'. 

Agree, that was the first time I laughed in this episode. The fake Bond sketch was annoying and the Modesto skit just kept making me think of The Californians, and how much better it was (also, how much more funny could that Modesto thing have been in another genre, like, say, McGyver?).

Not sure what the point was of the Diedre sketch. Aw, Debbie Downer. I would have put her in a White House press conference. The Weeknd was remarkably... low key for his songs.

I will never not love The Girl You Wished You Hadn’t Started a Conversation With at a Party. 

Edited by Ottis
6 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

Vomit on TV makes me, no exaggeration, physically ill, and I don’t understand why people think it’s funny (or why dramas are so enamored of depicting it).  

I'm with you 100%

• Love 3

I liked 'On the Couch' better than the Weekend's actual performances (he has a great voice, but his 2 songs seem very algorithm-generated). 

I found Daniel Craig surprisingly un-charismatic, but I did appreciate how he let go in the first sketch (as Bond winning at craps).

• Love 3

Wonder if Daniel Craig will get to come back when the movie is actually released later in the year? The whole PR value of this appearance will be lost by then. And since he lives in NYC anyway..

What. His. Name. Is? Simba! This guy.

Meh, I think takeoffs on soap operas are too easy. They're already campy own their own.

Ribbed for no one's pleasure. Yeah, that's about right.

Well that explains the bad Southern accent Craig had in Knives Out, lol. The one he did in Logan Lucky wasn't half bad though, IMO. (And in that skit I just noticed what big hands Craig has relative to his overall size. 🙂)

Ew, too bad for any sympathetic vomiters in the audience. I don't like those sketches.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

The Deirdre Show sketch was based on that time Patti LaBelle was on Tyra Banks' show. 

Weird that they would parody something from like 5 years ago. That said, it was really funny, especially having now seen the original clip.

11 hours ago, Arkay said:

So, Pete Davidson was missing from the entire show?

I actually didn’t realize that until I read your comment.  I wonder why he wasn’t there?  I usually enjoy him when he’s on, which is why it’s weird to me that I didn’t even notice 

• Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, Arkay said:

I loved the original Debbie Downer and it was good to have Rachel Dratch back again, but it just wasn't so funny this time. Years ago when it was new, it was unexpected, and then it was famous for everyone breaking. It just seemed too forced now.

That may be, but "why would you delve?!!" is my new catchphrase.  

Edited by Thalia
  • LOL 5
  • Love 9

I don't normally care for those prerecorded comedy songs, but I did like On the Couch.  I also like Michael Che's drinking, it's like he's given up.

I don't get why The Weekend guy was made up to look like he was in an accident.  He's one of those guys who has a name that sounds like he's a band.

This was a weak episode, but I did like The Couch (although it made me think of Slow from the Adam Driver episode and I went online and watched it). 
I enjoyed The Weeknd’s first song, it was super 80’s.

• Love 1

I don't need to see Pete in any episode. He looks like a smelly drug addict and who needs to see that? I know from y'all that he does have substance abuse issues and he needs to take care of himself and get.off.my.t.v..  Unpopular opinion, I suppose.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Deirdre: This was cut from last week. Always nice to see more of Ego. The bit with eating the foil made me laugh, and the "I have a gay husband," but I'm not sure it's ever a good idea to base a sketch solely on something most won't know. (Patti Labelle's Tyra appearance)

This is how I feel. Thanks to Galileo908 for pointing out the origin of the sketch (otherwise I'd still be wondering what it was about!) but I think that a sketch has to be funny or interesting on its own, and then that gets enhanced when you know what it's an homage to. That didn't happen for me with this one. 

• Love 3

There were a lot of bits in the cold open, but I loved all of them! Don Jr and Eric are always a favorite, but nothing topped Elizabeth Warren and breathless Kate dashing in from a quick change.

The Sands of ... Modesto? That’s inland valley cow country! I loved the names, Debranique and Victavia.

It is too bad the vomit gag was what they decided on as the button for the accent coach sketch. The actual funniest part was Mikey and Daniel with their hands clasped in front of them, vibrating out deep harrumphs in unison.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

In all seriousness, has Rachel Dratch appeared in more episodes this season than Pete Davidson?

I'm sure she hasn't, but it feels very close...

I’m not so sure you’re wrong. It was interesting that he had a relative amount of screen time (if not lines) when his buddy John Mulaney hosted. He was the kid who created the memes and was part of the Airport Sushi sketch. Now this week he’s totally absent. 

The Elizabeth Warren cameo was kind of telegraphed when after the joke just before there were whoops and applause. It was obvious something was being set up that wasn’t onscreen yet. Once she said they were going to Warren, it was pretty easy to figure out her actually being there was the reason for the reaction before.

• Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, ahisma said:

The actual funniest part was Mikey and Daniel with their hands clasped in front of them, vibrating out deep harrumphs in unison.

It was Beck as the dialect coach. Mikey was one of the film people at the table. I thought [hoped] that they were just going to be more inventive with different accents until they arrived at what Craig actually used in the movie somehow. I do wish that when they go for sketches where one or two people behave bizarrely that they would give more to the characters who are supposed to be reacting. Not more lines, but more characterization in terms of how they react. 

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
Mikey is not Miley
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Where does one find Saran Wrap big enough to cover a human?

Someone gave us the leftover plastic wrap that movers use for furniture, so that's another possibility.

20 hours ago, SHD said:

I thought this week was a big letdown after last week’s Mulaney episode. I liked “On the Couch” and that was about it.

I'm right with you. On the Couch was fantastic. Perfect. I wouldn't mind having that song on my iPod to listen to.

As for the rest of the show, I was spoiled about Elizabeth Warren's appearance, but that's ok. The Cold Open was ok. Kate had some good lines as Ingraham.

I didn't really care for the monologue or the Bond movie "clip." The only thing that was funny was Kenan saying things like, "This guy. Him. Him. This guy."

The Sand of Modesto didn't do it for me either. I prefer The Californians. I did like the exchange betw Kate and Chloe: "You were killed in that plane crash." "That's what I was told. But I'm alive." Seemed like the audience didn't quite catch it.

The Deidre Show? Meh. (except for horse doves)

Wedding Reception? Nice to see Debbie Downer but not as funny as the original. Plus, I was tired of the show devoting so much time to coronavirus jokes. However, Kenan  saying, "Now why would you delve?" was great. 

The audition with the dialect coach wasn't funny and then got gross and unwatchable when they started vomiting. I had to look away until the sketch was done, so I missed anyone breaking. 

The Game Night sketch was so-so. 

I liked the Overnight Salad sketch/song. Aidy was so good. She was really the only good thing in the sketch.

I don't dislike Daniel Craig in general. I enjoy him in movies. I do not enjoy him on SNL. I can't pinpoint why. He says the lines ok, but he's lacking something. Plus, whenever he was wearing a wig he looked bizarre.

• Love 4