Type keyword(s) to search

Leah McSweeney: Designer to the Mob

• Start Topic

On 6/4/2020 at 8:07 PM, Gam2 said:

I’m not sure why Leah is the way she is or thinks the way she does or speaks the way she speaks, but she is such a nasty, embarrassing woman. She’s no example for her daughter, for sure. 

And I hate the way she speaks--extending the last word of almost very sentence. She also has tacky cloth. I can't imagine why she was chosen. Bethenny's closing shot.

• Love 5

Someone in the Bethenny thread while discussing kids being shown on the show mentioned Leah with Kier sorry I don’t know how to quote from other threads but just mentioning it here for mentioning’s sake, I was surprised that Kier was actually shown on the show because on IG over the last two years when Leah would film her she’d stick her hand up, say Mom no! She doesn’t like being filmed so I was surprised to see her. 

9 hours ago, Marley said:

I don’t mind Leah. She has her issues but who’s doesn’t. I like that she calls Ramona out because Ramona gets away with too much.

They all get away with too much, including Leah.

• Love 5

I’m still not understanding how she is a millionaire based off making sweatshirts I can make on my Cricut.  Tonight in her confessionals all I could think was yah I can do that fo $10 max.   Her MTTM logo on her shirt I’m saying.  It’s like 2 x 3 of HTV and a shirt from Walmart to iron it on to.

• LOL 3
  • Love 11
6 hours ago, geauxaway said:

I’m still not understanding how she is a millionaire based off making sweatshirts I can make on my Cricut.

Exhibit A:  Kardashians

Case rested.

"Nobody ever lost a dollar by underestimating the taste of the American public.”  -  P.T. Barnum

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
On 7/2/2020 at 11:55 PM, geauxaway said:

I’m still not understanding how she is a millionaire based off making sweatshirts I can make on my Cricut.  Tonight in her confessionals all I could think was yah I can do that fo $10 max.   Her MTTM logo on her shirt I’m saying.  It’s like 2 x 3 of HTV and a shirt from Walmart to iron it on to.

I don’t think she’s a millionaire. I believe she’s sold maybe a million dollars worth of clothing, especially the partnerships she’s had with Reebok, Colette, other brands. But I don’t believe she’s wealthy. I’ve been following her for the past three years or so because she was involved in an argument I found interesting. (I would explain but that would require its own thread) 

Except for the yearly New Years trip with her daughter to Jamaica, a lot of the extravagance is new, recent. Even the apartment which by housewives standards is very small. The France trips and all of that have been with boyfriends and no judgments at all I’m just saying Leah isn’t jetting off to Paris on whims on her own dime. She’s mentioned credit card debts on the podcasts. 

And there’s nothing wrong with not being rich, I’m not out to shame anyone. But there are vast differences between the Leah on the show, Leah on the podcast and even now on social media. It’s bizarre. As I said in another post, just seeing what I’ve seen of Leah, I’m curious about the differences of everyone else.   Who else sanitizes themselves for the show? 

• Love 6

I'm returning to RHoNY after several years of being away, so this is my first intro not only to Leah but to Dorinda as well.

I didn't mind what I saw of sober Leah on TV - she seemed reasonable for the most part, but intoxicated Leah is a whole 'nother story. Ye gods. I also hadn't heard about her prior history before coming on the show, so she's definitely dropped in my estimation.

I don't understand her clothing line at all. It sounds like it was just launched last year, so I question how much money she's actually made on it, since it appears to be t-shirts or hoodies you'd find on threadless or redbubble, only without attractive artwork. There's simply no there there. How does she live?

Does she come from money? Are her Connecticut parents wealthy (her Mom's name is Bunny, which seems like one of those upper-class NE twit names), or were they just middle-class? Apparently she had a podcast, but prior to that, what was her history? 

It's clear she's not partnered up with anyone longterm, because she's nuts. Her ex seemed nice enough from what we saw of him, but it's clear he's keeping her at arms length and has remained close by for the sake of his daughter. It's good that he has a positive relationship with Leah's family for the kid's sake. Keir seems like a smart girl so far.

I dunno - I didn't mind the sober version of Leah, but I'm prepared for that to change.

• Love 8

I am on the fence with Leah. She's ok when she's sober, but when she's drunk she's a frickin' maniac, and I'm not ok with that. There are also several intangible things about her that (irrationally?) annoy me. She's kind of bland. She often dresses in neutrals (beige or skin tone.) Her usual makeup is minimal or the bare look. Her hair is straight, and a slightly different color than skin tone. She speaks in a monotone. There's really nothing interesting about her. I don't give a rat's ass about her clothing line; I don't find the styles any different from what I can buy from Target, and I don't find her sayings to be clever or witty (maybe I'm old, or just not her demographic). Tho she does not have resting bitch face, the upturn of the corners of her mouth almost make her look sinister (I told you the reasons weren't necessarily rational).

I'm not sure I'd like to see her again next season, but I'm not totally opposed to it, as long as she can control her drunken craziness (no physically destructive behavior), but I don't know if that's possible, knowing how Bravo runs things, or fair to ask of her (knowing how Bravo runs things). I don't think she was a good addition; She really doesn't have much in common with any of the others (I'm still confused to how she and Tinsley became good friends, but we know Tins has a wild side, so there's that), and, frankly, I don't think she brings anything interesting to the table.

• Love 13
28 minutes ago, SweetieDarling said:

I am on the fence with Leah. She's ok when she's sober, but when she's drunk she's a frickin' maniac, and I'm not ok with that. There are also several intangible things about her that (irrationally?) annoy me. She's kind of bland. She often dresses in neutrals (beige or skin tone.) Her usual makeup is minimal or the bare look. Her hair is straight, and a slightly different color than skin tone. She speaks in a monotone. There's really nothing interesting about her. I don't give a rat's ass about her clothing line; I don't find the styles any different from what I can buy from Target, and I don't find her sayings to be clever or witty (maybe I'm old, or just not her demographic). Tho she does not have resting bitch face, the upturn of the corners of her mouth almost make her look sinister (I told you the reasons weren't necessarily rational).

I'm not sure I'd like to see her again next season, but I'm not totally opposed to it, as long as she can control her drunken craziness (no physically destructive behavior), but I don't know if that's possible, knowing how Bravo runs things, or fair to ask of her (knowing how Bravo runs things). I don't think she was a good addition; She really doesn't have much in common with any of the others (I'm still confused to how she and Tinsley became good friends, but we know Tins has a wild side, so there's that), and, frankly, I don't think she brings anything interesting to the table.

I felt bad for thinking how plain Leah looks but you nailed it, in looks and personality. I liked her boxing coach, bring him in for the next dinner party, that would be hella entertaining!

• Love 7
51 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I felt bad for thinking how plain Leah looks but you nailed it, in looks and personality. I liked her boxing coach, bring him in for the next dinner party, that would be hella entertaining!

I think Martin, the trainer, should get an apple. He is vastly more fascinating and real, then these current RHs

• LOL 4
  • Love 14
On 9/6/2020 at 3:01 PM, Cheezwiz said:

I'm returning to RHoNY after several years of being away, so this is my first intro not only to Leah but to Dorinda as well.

I didn't mind what I saw of sober Leah on TV - she seemed reasonable for the most part, but intoxicated Leah is a whole 'nother story. Ye gods. I also hadn't heard about her prior history before coming on the show, so she's definitely dropped in my estimation.

I don't understand her clothing line at all. It sounds like it was just launched last year, so I question how much money she's actually made on it, since it appears to be t-shirts or hoodies you'd find on threadless or redbubble, only without attractive artwork. There's simply no there there. How does she live?

Does she come from money? Are her Connecticut parents wealthy (her Mom's name is Bunny, which seems like one of those upper-class NE twit names), or were they just middle-class? Apparently she had a podcast, but prior to that, what was her history? 

It's clear she's not partnered up with anyone longterm, because she's nuts. Her ex seemed nice enough from what we saw of him, but it's clear he's keeping her at arms length and has remained close by for the sake of his daughter. It's good that he has a positive relationship with Leah's family for the kid's sake. Keir seems like a smart girl so far.

I dunno - I didn't mind the sober version of Leah, but I'm prepared for that to change.

She doesn’t come from money. She’s made a good living off of collaborations (Reebok, Colette) and writing but she isn’t wealthy or even on the level of the other wives. Sonja at least owns something. A lot of Leah’s flashiness (new apartment, travel) is with housewives money. 
I doubt she was friends with Tinsley before the show but they seem to have forged a good friendship which I like. 
I had to stop listening to her podcast when she wouldn’t shut up wanting to know the details about Aaron Hernandez’s penis and what it would be like to have sex with him. 

• Love 7
On 9/6/2020 at 3:56 PM, SweetieDarling said:

I keep thinking about this. Even with the sex advice column, the clothing line, the edginess - she’s a lot more basic and bland than she realizes. There’s nothing wrong with being basic or bland but she tries to play off like she’s so very different but she’s not. 

• Love 16
1 hour ago, pasdetrois said:

Leah is holding out for more $$ for the new season. TMZ says she got only $60K for her first season.

Here's hoping she continues the holdout to the point where producers say "never mind".  I truly don't find her contribution to this past season as anything beyond 'meh'.  Saying that, I also realize that Bravo reality shows (specifically RH) have a habit of introducing a new castmember in a very benign manner, only to ramp up the nasty/crazy in subsequent seasons.  If that pattern holds with Leah, she will be "doing the Dorinda" next season.

• Love 16
On 9/9/2020 at 12:19 AM, LemonSoda said:

She doesn’t come from money. She’s made a good living off of collaborations (Reebok, Colette) and writing but she isn’t wealthy or even on the level of the other wives. Sonja at least owns something. A lot of Leah’s flashiness (new apartment, travel) is with housewives money. 
I doubt she was friends with Tinsley before the show but they seem to have forged a good friendship which I like. 
I had to stop listening to her podcast when she wouldn’t shut up wanting to know the details about Aaron Hernandez’s penis and what it would be like to have sex with him. 

You mean the Murderer? So, she is one of those.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Leah is holding out for more $$ for the new season. TMZ says she got only $60K for her first season.

That is really interesting. I just read the article on Page Six - they said $3,000 per episode but then they threw in episode 21, so it was more like $2,800 and change per episode. That's pretty short money relatively speaking 😐

• Love 3

It seems this one thinks she is the big star of the show now.  Not as far as I am concerned.  Not even close.  I would not be disappointed if she does not return. I'd actually be glad to hear she is not coming back for another season. I have never seen her as a good fit for this particular franchise.

• Love 13

Random thoughts...

For what the women must give to the show, $60k is peanuts, IMO.  Maybe that is reasonable for the test-run first season but not for subsequent seasons. I know they only film for a few months, but I imagine days are long and they do things on behalf of the show all year long.  They also must pay for a lot of their own stuff.  They get free PR, sure, but sometimes that can backfire so there is also a lot of risk involved.  

On the flip side, Andy reminded someone during a reunion (I think it was Tamra) that the women should NOT rely on the show as their source of income.

I've heard Bravo is lowering all the salaries across the board. This may be the start of that.

These shows are ensemble shows. Leah was so entertaining not just because of "her" but because of the group of women she was with and how they interacted together. No one person carries these things - as much as the Nene's of the world think they do.

If it is true Bravo is going after more diverse women to better represent NYC (something Andy said it is doing), Leah might want to take pause and be thoughtful in her decision.  She was a big fish in a small pond this season because she was so new and different from the others. A few new women who are more interesting and successful will shut her down in seconds.  Depending on how things go next season with new women, 60k might be look good.

Tough decision for her, but I agree she should get more.  She had a great first season and if they use that to set salaries for the following season, and if they want her back, they should pay far more than $60k.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Leah was overpaid, IMO. 

Is $60,000 a standard amount that Bravo pays for a unknown in their first season? I remember reading that $60,000 is also what Gina was paid for her first season of RHoOC. It isn't a lot, but so many of these newbies crash and burn in their first season that it would not be surprising to me. Why pay more for someone like a Leah or a Gina who could be anyone from anywhere? Neither even have an interesting background to draw viewers. They are both about as far removed from the premise of the show - rich with fabulous lives - as you can get. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, Jextella said:

Random thoughts...

For what the women must give to the show, $60k is peanuts, IMO.  Maybe that is reasonable for the test-run first season but not for subsequent seasons. I know they only film for a few months, but I imagine days are long and they do things on behalf of the show all year long.  They also must pay for a lot of their own stuff.  They get free PR, sure, but sometimes that can backfire so there is also a lot of risk involved.  

On the flip side, Andy reminded someone during a reunion (I think it was Tamra) that the women should NOT rely on the show as their source of income. Extra cash can help!

I've heard Bravo is lowering all the salaries across the board. This may be the start of that.

These shows are ensemble shows. Leah was so entertaining not just because of "her" but because of the group of women she was with and how they interacted together. No one person carries these things - as much as the Nene's of the world think they do.

If it is true Bravo is going after more diverse women to better represent NYC (something Andy said it is doing), Leah might want to take pause and be thoughtful in her decision.  She was a big fish in a small pond this season because she was so new and different from the others. A few new women who are more interesting and successful will shut her down in seconds.  Depending on how things go next season with new women, 60k might be look good.

Tough decision for her, but I agree with her.  She had a great first season and if they use that to set salaries for the following season, and if they want her back, they should be pay far more than $60k.

i could not stomach....if she is back i'm out.  i left nj, oc and bh.    bravo does not want my demographic and we're the ones that put bravo on the map!

• Love 11
10 hours ago, ichbin said:

It seems this one thinks she is the big star of the show now.  Not as far as I am concerned.  Not even close.  I would not be disappointed if she does not return. I'd actually be glad to hear she is not coming back for another season. I have never seen her as a good fit for this particular franchise.

I don't know if she'd be a good fit anywhere. I can't get over her throwing a kicking and screaming fit. It was calculated too, and she was proud of her manipulation. It's gross.

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, Jextella said:

Whatever her contract ends up being, I think Leah will be fine - based on this article, anyway.

Sounds like MTM is getting some really good traction.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/real-housewives-of-new-york-citys-leah-mcsweeney-signs-wme-1234577287/

That reads like what Deadline frequently does is take the press release from the person’s agency and slap a bi-line on it and present it like an article so it’s not really in indication of how good MTM is doing.

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, ShawnaLanne said:

I don't know if she'd be a good fit anywhere. I can't get over her throwing a kicking and screaming fit. It was calculated too, and she was proud of her manipulation. It's gross.

At someone's suggestion yesterday I went poking around Reddit for Real Housewives discussions and came across posts from someone who claims to have known her back when she was 17.  I didn't catch a link for it unfortunately.  If what this person said is true, I can't say I was surprised in the least.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, ShawnaLanne said:

Her mother actually handles her BS quite well she will be all righteous indignation yelling “you said this about me” and Bunny will calmly point out that it was in response to something much more shitty that Leah did and fairly appropriate in context. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

how good MTM is doing.

I said it before and I'll say it again, https://mttmnyc.com/collections/t-shirts  basic, overpriced, boring.

Even the name of her collection "Married To The Mob" makes no sense. Loved the Sopranos, never heard them say "Bitch, I Elevate This Shit" or "Good Dick Will Imprison You". Maybe she's referring to a different Mob, like the ones on the latest reality show called The News. Or maybe she's filtering Mob money through it. 

I stand corrected. Just looked up the meaning of mob.

"Originally mob meant just "a large group of people" or "the common people," from the Latin phrase mobile vulgus, "fickle common people."

Makes sense to me now.

Leah, call John . . . he may be open to a new business venture.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, itsadryheat said:

I said it before and I'll say it again, https://mttmnyc.com/collections/t-shirts  basic, overpriced, boring.

Even the name of her collection "Married To The Mob" makes no sense. Loved the Sopranos, never heard them say "Bitch, I Elevate This Shit" or "Good Dick Will Imprison You". Maybe she's referring to a different Mob, like the ones on the latest reality show called The News. Or maybe she's filtering Mob money through it. 

I stand corrected. Just looked up the meaning of mob.

"Originally mob meant just "a large group of people" or "the common people," from the Latin phrase mobile vulgus, "fickle common people."

Makes sense to me now.

Leah, call John . . . he may be open to a new business venture.

MOB stands for Most Official Bitches/Most Original Bitches. 

I urge everyone to listen to her podcast archives sometime. They’re uh interesting. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

MOB stands for Most Official Bitches/Most Original Bitches. 

I urge everyone to listen to her podcast archives sometime. They’re uh interesting. 

Why does this not surprise me. No thanks though on checking out her podcasts.  I listen to plenty hosted by people who are actually interesting.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

BRAVO seems to be playing hard ball on salaries on the franchises. 

I think Leah is overplaying her hand. I personally didn't enjoy watching someone out of control drunk nakedly hurling tiki torches. 

I am amazed that this women think they actually merit high salaries. They have no discernible talents and should consider themselves lucky to have been plucked out of obscurity. The promotional tie-ins are huge - any place they frequent - anything they are photographed with is done for promotional benefit. How else would these people merit being photographed and invited to all kinds of events - that's catnip for the kind of narcissistic souls that inhabit reality casts.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

So the name makes even less sense than it does on its face. 

Yes. Many of the longtime fans were upset that the party became about the Housewives than the ones who’ve been around for years. 

1 hour ago, Jextella said:

According to this site, filming has begun without her.  

https://www.inquisitr.com/6283945/leah-mcsweeney-rhony-salary/

Can they spend her salary going to Chicago to film Tinsley’s dog walks? Or maybe film leaves or that cheese shop in the Berkshires? 

• LOL 7
  • Love 7

She will have to cave if she expects to come back.   BRAVO plays hard ball - they started filming this week without her.  And she needs the money.  But she will face a tough season, the honeymoon will be over.  It's stupid for her to bad mouth her employer in the press.   She is so over rated.  I've also have enough of her creepy sister.

• Love 17

Leah was sooo boring to me the whole season😴. I fast forwarded most of her reunion parts-- which was quite a bit.  In fact Andy talked so much to and about her that I felt sure she'd be the main focus next season, along with some of her friends.  And if that happens then I'm out. 

Watching this reunion with Dorinda trying to explain away everything was hard enough.  I loved when Tinsley called her out on her,'' Look.. here's the thing..." deflection!  So happy Dorinda is gone.  

• Love 9

I didn’t mind Leah on the show but I don’t get how she thinks she deserves such a big pay increase. She was just another woman on the show nothing she did was anything special. It was her first season too so what does she expect..the other ladies have been on the show for quite a while and have provided some pretty good tv at times lol. Also $60K for doing not much is pretty decent pay lol.

• Love 11
16 hours ago, escape said:

She will have to cave if she expects to come back.   BRAVO plays hard ball - they started filming this week without her.  And she needs the money.  But she will face a tough season, the honeymoon will be over.  It's stupid for her to bad mouth her employer in the press.   She is so over rated.  I've also have enough of her creepy sister.

THIS!!!

Edited by Raiderred
  • Love 8
On 9/15/2020 at 9:14 PM, Jextella said:

Whatever her contract ends up being, I think Leah will be fine - based on this article, anyway.

Sounds like MTTM is getting some really good traction.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/real-housewives-of-new-york-citys-leah-mcsweeney-signs-wme-1234577287/

Looked like that was written by a publicist. Her line of clothing is one step up from a middling Etsy store.  There are Etsy stores with tremendously talented people selling clothing and other items.  I don’t see anything original or interesting to wear a hoodie that has the initials MTTM.  

• Love 12
On 9/15/2020 at 9:35 AM, RedDelicious said:

That is really interesting. I just read the article on Page Six - they said $3,000 per episode but then they threw in episode 21, so it was more like $2,800 and change per episode. That's pretty short money relatively speaking 😐

It does seem low. I heard on another podcast that Teresa Guidice from NY only got $9K the first season. It was a long time ago but that is still not a lot of money. Maybe they have to prove themselves before they get the big bucks. 

• Love 3

Hey everyone LOOK AT ME!!!!!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8756133/RHONYs-Leah-McSweeney-proudly-reveals-bruises-nose-job-not-trying-hide-anything.html

On 9/15/2020 at 8:52 PM, ichbin said:

At someone's suggestion yesterday I went poking around Reddit for Real Housewives discussions and came across posts from someone who claims to have known her back when she was 17.  I didn't catch a link for it unfortunately.  If what this person said is true, I can't say I was surprised in the least.

Oooh what did this person say?

On 9/15/2020 at 10:05 PM, itsadryheat said:

This term just suits her.

And I am STILL not understanding why she would name her brand Married to the Mob.  Even if it "stands for" Most Oblivious Bitches or whatever.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:
On 9/15/2020 at 9:52 PM, ichbin said:

Oooh what did this person say?

It wasn't flattering.  I'll leave it at that.  

• LOL 5
  • Love 1