Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E11: Legacy

Phil pays a visit to his dad after hearing some concerning news about him; Jay gives Claire and Mitch a bunch of their old childhood memorabilia that triggers them to reevaluate a long-held story about their first family vacation.

7 minutes ago, AuxArx said:

What happened to Frank's wife?

He had a wedding ring on so she’s still around I guess.  Why was he still in Florida? Weren’t he and Lorraine supposed to be relocating to California? 

I'm torn on this one. I enjoyed some of it, but some of it also felt a bit self-consciously reaching to be nostalgic. Like Phil repeating his "cool dad" speech from the premiere with older references, etc. I feel like the show shouldn't have to try that hard to reach back to the beginning (though the full circle Lion King thing from last season's finale was really good). 

I noticed that Claire's wearing the sweatshirt she was accused of stealing from a supermarket in an earlier episode and they had the Brenda Feldman callback as well, so I guess they're planting little moments in each episode. 

The reveal of Frank's death was sad, but expected. The actor who plays him is looking quite frail in real life as well. 😞

• Love 4

I thought this was a pretty good episode (except for anything with Manny in it--I just think he's terrible).  I was a fan of the Ace Trucking Co. comedy troop back in the 60s/70s with Fred Willard, so he's always fun to see again.

Got a little misty when Frank died, and I know that "tell someone you care because you never know if it will be the last time", is such a cliche, but it's true.  I've lost several older family members in the last few years, but the one I regret most is an aunt who was killed in a car accident.  The last time I saw her I left her standing at her front door after driving her to the store, but I didn't go in because I was so anxious to get home to my quiet little house.  She probably died thinking, "Well, I won't be a burden to my niece anymore", and that kills me.  So y'all, that cliche is true...tell 'em.

Why does this show feel they need to kill grandparents just because it’s ending?

I liked the reveal and figured it out about 10 seconds before it happened. The end of the Jay and Joe storyline was sweet.

• Love 6

I loved this episode. I had no idea that the show was still capable of being this funny, or this heartfelt.

This was filled with layer upon layer of jokes, some of which probably went over a lot of people's heads. Like that awful couple resembling Hitler and Eva Braun, and being on their way to Poland. 😄

Also, Manny and the mariachi band trying to get up the escalator had more laughs in it, for me, than certain entire episodes that aired earlier this season.

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

Manny and the mariachi band trying to get up the escalator had more laughs in it, for me, than certain entire episodes that aired earlier this season.

I laughed at that too.  But, where did he find a mariachi band on such short notice?  Is there a mariachi bands - r- us in this particular mall?

1 hour ago, ljenkins782 said:

The reveal of Frank's death was sad, but expected. The actor who plays him is looking quite frail in real life as well

It was really striking how bad Fred Willard looked.  When I realized that they were about to kill him off, I was hoping that they had made him up to look more frail than he really is.  

• Love 13
14 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

It was really striking how bad Fred Willard looked.  When I realized that they were about to kill him off, I was hoping that they had made him up to look more frail than he really is.  

I’ll be honest, I could swear I’d seen a death announcement about Fred Willard a few years ago, I’d remembered him from his roles on Everybody Loves Raymond and others, so every time I see him in a current role, I’m glad that wasn’t true. 🙂 

• Love 1

Awww, Fred Willard was one of the great TV older-gen parents.  I should have guessed where this was going, but it caught me by surprise.  Agree that he was looking very frail, and I noticed he was sitting a lot, including on a lawn chair next to the car when they were jacking it up.  

• Love 6

Thank goodness the dog bed biz is dead, or dying.  

The scenes with Claire & Mitch seemed so rushed.  As if even they know this show is gasping its last breath, they know the writers and the actors don;t care anymore, and they just wanted to read their lines and get the hell out of there.  I never found Mitch (or the actor) funny or engaging.  He plays everything "one-note": Neurotic, petty, self absorbed...

I hope the actor who plays Manny saved his salary and residuals from this show, because if he plans on "acting" after this ends, I don't think his phone will be ringing much.

Phil and most of his scenes in most episodes continue to be the best part of Modern Family.  I feel bad that someone as delightful and positive and funny ended up marrying into the Pritchett clan.  Very sweet (if abrupt & unnecessary) send off for Phil's dad.

• Love 6

I thought this episode was a refreshing throwback to earlier seasons, when the family members actually seemed to like each other.  For several seasons now, it seems that there is a lot of trying to undermine each other, and a lot of plots have revolved around people lying or covering up things to make themselves look better.  There's been a lot of nasty, unpleasant behavior. 

In this episode, everything seemed rooted in affection.  I don't remember the last time Mitchell and Claire were smiling at each other.  Some might find it too sentimental, but I found it nice to see this change.

• Love 12

It was surprising to see yet another episode without Sarah Hyland. I wonder if she’s having health issues again or if she just opted to work less this season.

I liked the Cam and Gloria storyline and it was sweet to see them help each other. 

• Love 4

It was striking how much screen time Lily was given to how many lines she delivered. She was nothing but background scenery.

Fred Willard looked like he had a Parkinson's-type shake going in his right hand. It was hard to see him looking like that, but I'm glad he's still working. 

I liked Cam's redneck-next-door act and Gloria's modeling those dresses, and Cam suggesting to his rival that she get the dress Gloria was wearing, as though it was an entirely different dress. 

I wonder if the kid playing Joey will have a long career or will this period in his life be the height of his career. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, mojito said:

It was striking how much screen time Lily was given to how many lines she delivered. She was nothing but background scenery.

Fred Willard looked like he had a Parkinson's-type shake going in his right hand. It was hard to see him looking like that, but I'm glad he's still working. 

I liked Cam's redneck-next-door act and Gloria's modeling those dresses, and Cam suggesting to his rival that she get the dress Gloria was wearing, as though it was an entirely different dress. 

I wonder if the kid playing Joey will have a long career or will this period in his life be the height of his career. 

It's still too early for what the future holds for the actor that plays Joe. 

• Love 1

I enjoyed all of the story lines in this episode (with the exception of Manny).  Gloria and Cam really worked well with each other and actually seemed toned down but strategic in their revenge plots.  Jay and Joe were sweet together and good for Joe for getting the puppy!  Hopefully Stella and the puppy will be fine together.

It wasn't until the slightest facial change in Phil that I understood where the story was going with his dad.  Just the most subtle change in his eye and he conveyed his loss.  Not many of these actors can do glimpses of interior emotions/thoughts/ but Ty Burrell hits it out of the park.  

I actually liked Jay's dog bed business so am sorry it's over.  Cat beds though...

Oh, and didn't miss the characters who were not in this episode at all.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

actually liked Jay's dog bed business so am sorry it's over.  Cat beds though..

It could be kind of a funny running gag if Jay doesn't like cats but is forced to switching to cat beds.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

Leave to a Phil centric episode to actually give us a decent episode at long last. The send off for Phil's dad was very touching, I suspected early on that he would end up passing away, but I still teared up a bit when Phil's voice broke when he said that it was one of the best days he had ever had with his dad, and that it was also his last. I always love Fred Willard, he is such a classic actor, and its always so great to see him. He really does look rather frailer than the last time I saw him, I hope he is doing alright. 

The other plots were mostly good as well (except for Manny being annoying and creepy as always) and it was great to see the family seemingly enjoying being around each other again, and not just rolling their eyes at each other when they arent lying and insulting and manipulating each other. I especially thought the gags with Cam as the redneck neighbor and the increasingly ridiculous murder board that Mitch and Claire were making out of their old stuff in the garage. Even Manny got a funny bit, with him and the Mariachi band running backwards up an escalator silently. 

Joe got his puppy! Hurrah! 

• Love 10
6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Leave to a Phil centric episode to actually give us a decent episode at long last. The send off for Phil's dad was very touching, I suspected early on that he would end up passing away, but I still teared up a bit when Phil's voice broke when he said that it was one of the best days he had ever had with his dad, and that it was also his last. I always love Fred Willard, he is such a classic actor, and its always so great to see him. He really does look rather frailer than the last time I saw him, I hope he is doing alright. 

The other plots were mostly good as well (except for Manny being annoying and creepy as always) and it was great to see the family seemingly enjoying being around each other again, and not just rolling their eyes at each other when they arent lying and insulting and manipulating each other. I especially thought the gags with Cam as the redneck neighbor and the increasingly ridiculous murder board that Mitch and Claire were making out of their old stuff in the garage. Even Manny got a funny bit, with him and the Mariachi band running backwards up an escalator silently. 

Joe got his puppy! Hurrah! 

I know, I mean this was a pretty decent episode. Where have these writers been hiding? Of course at the same time, it just proves that Manny's character is just useless. They've written him to the point he is just fumbling through life and starting to see his idosyconses and his odd obsessions are just very wrong or bad. It was cute when he was 12-14, however now at almost 22, he is the guy that would say something and someone would beat him in the street and leave him for dead.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

It'd be funny if the guy buys all  the pet beds from Jay for 50 cents a piece and sells them out as cat beds.

Cats do love to steal the dogs' beds...(if the internet is any indication).

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

This WAS a good episode. My honey gave up on this show a few seasons back, but watched this one with me and we both genuinely laughed several times.

My biggest issue was that Frank's new wife, who has been on several times, whose wedding we witnessed, who Phil had a childhood crush on...disappeared. Even if the actress wasn't available, to just erase the character was off putting. I DID miss hailey and Alex, as the funeral of Phil's mom was one of the more touching MF episodes, and they had to do with that as well.

I loved the cats stealing the dog beds, and I LOVED Joe's new pupper. The final scene of him and Stella was too much adorable.

Brenda, the pretty girl Manny crushed on, would never ever ever be interested in him, but it was nice to see that Hayley Erin, who played Brenda on the original episode mentioned, was still Brenda. I know her from soaps and follow her on IG, she's sparkly pretty and sweet.

Cam as the redneck next door neighbor and Lily in her side-pony/white trash outfit..I did lol.

Phil made me cry. Ty Burrell is so good.

I had flashdance sweatshirts too.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, readster said:

It was cute when he was 12-14, however now at almost 22, he is the guy that would say something and someone would beat him in the street and leave him for dead.

Finally, a Manny storyline I would actually enjoy! (I kid, I kid.)

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Ottis said:

. I suspected Phil or his dad were the penguin, and wa-la. 

Can someone explain this ?   I really did not know what Phil was doing at the end. Maybe it’s because I have not watch the show since beginning.  
I admit to let out a gasp and tears were following when Phil was talking about the last day with his dad 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, tribeca said:

Can someone explain this ?   I really did not know what Phil was doing at the end. Maybe it’s because I have not watch the show since beginning.  
I admit to let out a gasp and tears were following when Phil was talking about the last day with his dad 

I just assumed that Phil and his dad had made the footprints? Was there more to it than that? And that wa-la is voila?

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

22 hours ago, tribeca said:

Early in the episode, Phil mentioned that in 1977, enormous penguin footprints were found on the beach, which created a legend that there was a penguin in the area taller than a human.

Then at the end, Phil revealed that he found the footprint-makers among his father's possessions. And Phil used them to revive the legend, in his father's honor.

I don't think Phil had anything to do with making the footprints in the '70s. It seemed like the father did it on his own, and Phil only learned the truth after his father died.

I actually thought the episode was fairly unpredictable, overall. I generally see twists coming on this show a mile away, but I actually didn't see it coming when Claire and Mitch found out that Jay cut their vacation short to save his business.

And I didn't see it coming that Phil's father was dead until Phil started to look emotional at the end. And I suspected that Jay's dog bed business would be saved by some miracle - but that never happened.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Useful 3
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Early in the episode, Phil mentioned that in 1977, enormous penguin footprints were found on the beach, which created a legend that there was a penguin in the area taller than a human.

Then at the end, Phil revealed that he found the footprint-makers among his father's possessions. And Phil used them to reinvigorate the legend, in his father's honor.

I don't think Phil had anything to do with making the footprints in the '70s. It seemed like the father did it on his own, and Phil only learned the truth after his father died.

Oh I missed the part where the original date was mentioned.  Right, Phil probably just figured it out when he was cleaning out the garage.  Although... Ty Burrell was born in 1967, so if Phil is about the same age, it's possible he might have been in on it.  It was a better episode than usual (for this season), but not so compelling that I'm planning to rewatch to see if I missed any clues.

• Love 2

"You did go into the family business, son. Spreading joy and positivity"

Damn, what a line in what was a beautiful exchange between the two actors.

I had seen Fred in something else recently and he was looking frail too. As they say, "Time is the undefeated champion," but it's so nice to see that he can still perform, if not as physically in the past.

I'd always assumed John Michael Higgins would assume those Fred Willard roles, going forward, but it looks like Ty Burrell should have the inside track. The casting if them as father and son has been absolutely perfect.

Sentimental Phil always hits hard. I hope we get another episode of him and his Children.

• Love 10
20 hours ago, Ottis said:

Claire and Mitch's obsession seemed contrived.

I think the opposite, in that it has been long established that all the Pritchett's are obsessed with being right and proving others wrong.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, quangtran said:

I think the opposite, in that it has been long established that all the Pritchett's are obsessed with being right and proving others wrong.

Agreed and I got that. My issue was that this was from something decades ago. And it was such a small thing. Not something that memorable. In fact, they didn’t even seem to remember much at all about it until the plot required them to. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 1

I always thought cats would like Jay's dog beds. His unwillingness to shift gears when he heard that they did was bad business sense, but this was never really a business for him, it was a whim. Like Phils magic shop.

I'm so glad to have the giant penguin story linked to the footprints at the end. By the end of the episode, I had forgotten about the penguin, and all I could think of is that story about Jesus and footprints on the beach and it just didn't seem like something this show would reference, even at its most sentimental.

• Love 2
On 1/18/2020 at 7:54 PM, Ottis said:

Agreed and I got that. My issue was that this was from something decades ago. And it was such a small thing. Not something that memorable. In fact, they didn’t even seem to remember much at all about it until the plot required them to. 

Small things are usually what the Pritchetts zero in on and blow out of proportion. Like Claire going to the trouble of getting surveillance tapes from the grocery store to prove that Phil pushed her with the cart that one time.

And since it's a tv show, it makes sense that it only came up for plot purposes, these people have 50 years of fictional history together, it's not like every detail of their lives would have been previously discussed. But I agree that this particular mystery was a tiny and petty detail even by Pritchett standards. 

I thought the parody of the CSI shows was pretty funny and the reveal about Jay's business was interesting (and never before even hinted at). I guess that means Claire and Mitchell grew up middle class and Jay didn't become extremely wealthy until later on. 

I had seen Fred in something else recently and he was looking frail too. As they say, "Time is the undefeated champion," but it's so nice to see that he can still perform, if not as physically in the past.

I watched it a second time and noticed the shaking that someone mentioned upthread. I'd noticed it in one scene the first time, but watching it again, it was extremely pronounced in several scenes. Wonder if it's Parkinson's or just age-related tremors. 

The character was very sweet and agreed that he and Ty Burrell had a lovely chemistry together. 

Cam as the redneck next door neighbor and Lily in her side-pony/white trash outfit..I did lol.

Manny running in looking like he just emerged from the woods where he'd been raised by wolves was probably his best acting in years. Probably because it didn't involve any speaking.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Other than Manny, I don’t detest the characters like most of you. Even wooden Lily has moved over to the meh category for me. But Phil has hands down been my favorite character throughout. Ty Burrell’s subtle acting while expressing his heartbreak over his character’s dad death was heartbreaking.

I enjoyed other parts of this episode as well. 

• Love 8
8 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Small things are usually what the Pritchetts zero in on and blow out of proportion. Like Claire going to the trouble of getting surveillance tapes from the grocery store to prove that Phil pushed her with the cart that one time.

I was with Claire on that one because Phil clearly knocked her down while flirting with a real estate customer.  He was every bit as insistent that he was right as Claire was,  In fact, every time she is criticized for wanting to be right, someone else is doing the same.

• Love 2

Maybe because Phil's always been a cartoon, but Burrell has been consistently the most solid as this moved into late-stage life and got sillier. Worrying a lot about my own aging parents, this one really hit home and I felt he delivered well. 

• Love 1

I'm watching this on Amazon now (Jan 2021) and the notes on the side say that Fred Willard died 4 months after this episode.  I'd read before that his wife in real life had passed 2 yrs before (I believe) and he never got over it and went downhill after that.  It was evident from his frailness and the shaking hand that he wouldn't be playing the part anymore so I guess they decided to go ahead and write him out.  Knowing he'd passed made it very hard to watch him and Phil together tonight.  They seemed to get along so well it made me think it passed on into read life affection.  

I think knowing how he liked to play jokes on Phil and others, when Phil was young his dad would have got a kick out of putting on the big penquin feet and making a legend that young Phil bought into and had fun keeping it going for years.  They were both so goofey and loved jokes.  "You did go into the family business, son. Spreading joy and positivity" just about broke me up! 😞  Some of the greatest casting ever-- they looked and acted so much alike.  

• Like 1
On 1/15/2020 at 9:21 PM, AuxArx said:

Got a little misty when Frank died, and I know that "tell someone you care because you never know if it will be the last time", is such a cliche, but it's true.  I've lost several older family members in the last few years, but the one I regret most is an aunt who was killed in a car accident.  The last time I saw her I left her standing at her front door after driving her to the store, but I didn't go in because I was so anxious to get home to my quiet little house.  She probably died thinking, "Well, I won't be a burden to my niece anymore", and that kills me.  So y'all, that cliche is true...tell 'em.

Auxarx, I'm 67 with health problems and sometimes need help with only a couple of  people to help me.  When someone does it shows me their love!  You know the old saying,'Actions speak louder than words'. Us older ones with health problems worry over how in the world we're going to get what we need from the store and we worry about bothering people asking for their help.  It's such a huge relief to get that help and know I'm taken care of-- you'd never believe what a relief it is.  By taking the time to help your aunt get to a store to get what she needed showed her how much you cared.  Believe me.  She KNEW you loved her.  No words were needed.  Bless your kind heart, your aunt loved you back!  ❤️ 

• Love 6