Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E02: Cats of the Urban Jungle

• Start Topic

Designers must create a fresh take on a timeless classic: animal prints; taking inspiration from the 2019 movie, "Cats," the designers must tame their prints to create stylish looks that can compete on the runway and in the Flash Sale challenge.

Original airdate: December 12, 2019

Ugh, not this Marnie woman again . . . please don't subject us to multiple episodes with her again. 

I love that we got most of the designers pitching in to help De Young finish her piece. This is when the show is at its best -- when the cameraderie among competitors emerges and no one is playing a game with anyone -- except for premature ejaculation guy who keeps finishing early, at least in his mind. That peacock print was beautiful but he didn't do anything special with it, and the purse didn't work. 

Billy Porter curtain guy's dress looked like an a cross between an Amish conservative top merged with a flamenco dancer bottom. No. Just No. How the fuck was he safe with that atrocity? 

Not sure who I think should be the top, but I guess I'll find out in a few minutes what the judges think!! 

EDIT: Guess I was wrong about peacock dress dude -- he's in the top. And I don't think that crazy hair girl should be in the top either. I really hope last season was not an aberration and that they are not slipping into the Lifetime issues that tanked it over there. . . 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 14

Wow, that loser edit from the beginning, I thought it was so obvious that they might have been trying for a fake out, but nope, she's gone. Never a good sign when we learn their full background and the look is weak. 

Meanwhile, does the fact that they surprise them with making their look disadvantage designers that have created more complicated looks? 

Also, the Moldavian made a half and half look last week, too.   

• Love 3

V's bloomers were 'unfortunate'  and she probably was the most likely who deserved to go home.

I really liked the winning design.  Better than the peacock which just kept flashing JL want to be in my mind.  Or was is supposed to be a parrot?  I don't know.  I just kept getting peacock.

Sorry, it will take me a number of episodes to remember who is who.

There were a number of designs that were too trying too hard.

I can't stand that stylist's esthetic. 

• Love 14

Marnie must be good friends with someone on the show, that’s the only reason I can think of for her repeated appearances. Please go away.

Veronica deserved to go home with those designer Depends looking bloomers. Hideous. I liked Marquis’ blouse, I guess he deserved the win, I’m not sure I understand ‘Street’. White coat’s (name?) design reminded me of J. Lo’s Versace dress, it looked classy not street. 
I liked how almost everyone helped DeYoung with her design. It’s nice to see people being kind to someone. Not something you see very often on reality shows. 

• Love 18

I don't mind the loser edit.  

Isn't it funny how that guy is named Shavi Lewis?  I think I'm right about that?  Remember Shari Lewis of Lamb Chop fame?

And then Da'Young saying she was going to "Die Young".  So cute.

I thought that blonde woman who won last week should have been in the top again.  

DON'T WE LOVE THE 2 DAY CHALLENGES, PEOPLE?????  Two weeks in a row?  Good God!  Now a 1 day challenge will seem like an exciting novelty!  And everyone felt comfortable enough to help Da'Young!!

It's sealed.  I don't like Brandon.  Ugh.  

"We went from Yoda to Beyonce in 24 hours!"  What is that guy's name?  Martin?  I love him and I love Christian sooooo much.  Christian scaring and annoying all the designers is HILARIOUS.

I loved everyone's glasses today. I don't know the names, but the winning designer, and the beautiful black woman.  Everyone has amazing glasses on this show.

5 hours ago, SailorGirl said:

Billy Porter curtain guy's dress looked like an a cross between an Amish conservative top merged with a flamenco dancer bottom. No. Just No. How the fuck was he safe with that atrocity? 

what the FUCK WAS THAT?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 13

I caught up this week and haven’t read comments from last week, but that Sergio fellow certainly has a high opinion of himself, doesn’t he?!  Quite boastful.

Edit:  Just read last week's comments -- and see that others noticed it too!  

Edited by Thumper
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, hula-la said:

I’m not a fan of animal (cat) print, so loved seeing the peacock print. I would wear that right now. I also loved the winning look too—even with the animal print. 

That many of the designers worked to help Dayeung is what I like about the return to Bravo. I don’t need cattiness and backstabbing behaviour. 

Not peacock - parrot.  It was beautifully made but not street except Park Ave.  I did love the parrot dress though.  I thought the winner was the best for the challenge and it was all kinds of zebra.  Victoria's was not good and was repetitive from the first challenge.  I want every challenge to be two days.  I don't like train wrecks.  I went missing from the show; I'm glad to be back.

• Love 16

Yep. Too many designers to get too involved yet. Marnie can go away now. Liked the challenge, like the positive vibe. Guy who finishes early and hides from Christian- you are gonna get yours soon. The editing monkeys always have a plan.

• LOL 5
  • Love 12

Usually when designers say, "I don't use [insert type of fabric]," I roll my eyes, but this is one of the few times where I was fine with someone saying they normally don't use animal prints. Although you can use it for anything, it's a very specific aesthetic and I think a lot of people avoid it because they don't want to create that late 90s/early 00s cougar look.

I loved when Marquise said that he's a student at YouTube University. One of the things I love about the internet in general and YouTube in particular is how much you can learn while you're in your pajamas at home. I have watched tutorials on all kinds of stuff and learned things for free in the middle of the night instead of having to get my ass up early on a Saturday morning and paying to take a class.

Ha and I loved when one of the designers said they couldn't find any animal prints they liked and Christian strutted down an aisle and said, "Not this? Not this? Not this? Not this?"

I liked the designers who dared to think outside of the leopard/cheetah/snake print box.

It cracks me up how judgmental but different Christian manages to make each "HMMMM" sound.

Victoria's snake print wedding dress (described by her model as flight attendant for Wakanda) was a little too strappy/scrappy for my taste. I guess it went with the animal print theme because the strips hanging off of it looked like a cat shredded it. Once again, Christian had good practical advice - finish the dress before you start making accessories like hats and purses! No matter how fabulous the accessories are, the judges are not going to keep you if your dress is unfinished. I don't know why she was so in love with the idea of that yellow bag either.

Tyler's origami inspired tiger print outfit was okay but his model really sold it. I liked the way that Christian pushed him by asking if print drop crotch pants already exist. He wasn't telling him what to do but just challenging his idea to see if he could take it further.

When Geoffrey said he was making a poncho caftan, I was like what? Why? I ended up liking what he made. It was simple in design but it looked good on his model. I wish he'd had her wear it without the yellow pants though

Brittany's was interesting. I liked the top and the jacket. The skirt was a little plain but realistically it was good to have one piece that simpler.

Shavi's print within a print was really cool. I liked the way he cut the strips and sewed them together to make a new print.

Melanie's cat print was a bold choice. I liked the top and I liked the skirt but I'm not sure that I liked them together.

I loved the green feathery parrot print that Delvin found. It had beautiful colors and the feathers gave it motion. The coat dress looked more upscale than streetwear but it was beautiful.

Chelsey's crop top and pants weren't innovative but they did fulfill the requirements of the challenge to create a streetwear look that highlighted an animal print.

Veronica's outfit didn't look like streetwear to me. I was dreading/expecting a saggy diaper when she said she was going to make blousson shorts. I can't figure out if Veronica has a very slight accent or if she just has a strange way of speaking.

I didn't have an issue with Alan going to get a snack while they were in the workroom. It's up to the designers to know when they need to take a break or get some food/water. This is a high stress situation so you need to take care of yourself or you will burn out. But I did laugh when Christian said he shouldn't be taking a break when he had Yoda on his dress form. From Yoda to Beyoncé in one day! What he made didn't look like streetwear to me though. The model looked good in it but the top looked like it was from Forever 21. I liked the draping on the back of the skirt though.

I had to agree with Christian when Sergio said he doesn't design for young people because they can't afford his clothes. It's fine if your normal market is 45-60 years old but the judges on this show want to see things that are young, fresh, and modern aka stuff that 20 something it girls would wear. I don't think there's any world where that dress he made would be considered streetwear.

I'm glad that Dayoung was okay. It was sweet to see Alan, Sergio, Nancy, Victoria, and Melanie help her finish at the end (and I loved that Dayoung said it was beautiful to see).  Her look was definitely not my favorite but I was just glad she had something for her model to wear after only one day to sketch, shop, and create.

Marquise's skirt was cute but it looked even more interesting when the judges looked at it up close. I liked his top because he managed to combine multiple animal prints without looking super tacky.

Nancy's shredded top and striped pants were definitely different. I was surprised by how much I liked her look.

And yes, Brandon, chokers are back!

• Love 20

We're B-A-A-A-CK! 

So! I totally agreed with the judges about winner and loser! Flouncy Depends? Meow!

Loved the thinking-outside-the-litter-box JUNGLE PARROT NOT PEACOCK (it included red, not any purple) outfit,  too!

I wish the show hadn't dropped the separate segment where the judges examine the garments more closely. Yes,  some judges looked at some outfits,  but it was haphazard and the contestants were still there. 

Love Christian! "Are you making a collection?!" 

Ah,  mes amis! Already we have ze leetle sac a main jaune, n'est-ce pas? One is compelled to think of the embroidery slogan superieur!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 7

The most surprising thing in the episode was the designers not freaking the fuck out, like everyone else on the planet/internet, when seeing the 'Cats' trailer for the first time. Good lord, that thing is creepy.

Other than bird coat in the top and diapers in the bottom, I couldn't even begin to predict who was going to land where after the runway; it was a pretty tacky collection.

• LOL 8
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Yep. Too many designers to get too involved yet. Marnie can go away now. Liked the challenge, like the positive vibe. Guy who finishes early and hides from Christian- you are gonna get yours soon. The editing monkeys always have a plan.

I also was unimpressed that lab coat guy that was finished so early (is it Delvin?), was playing hide and seek with Christian, but wouldn't lift a finger to help out Deyoung (sp-?).  He's talented, and that coatdress was gorgeous, but to me, this says something about his personality.  He could have lent a big hand to her - I see some drama with him and the others in the future.

And, 1,000 times YES - Marnie can go away any time and not be missed.  I get the feeling that she and Christian are friends.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 23
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I had to agree with Christian when Sergio said he doesn't design for young people because they can't afford his clothes.

Young people are the ones with disposable income.  All of their income is disposable.

As usual Christian was spot on and Sergio looked stupid.

• Love 20
36 minutes ago, stormy weather said:

When Karlie said "relax Victoria, you're in the top" I swear to god I had to go back and re-listen. In the top?! With that thing?!! Not only it was practically the same outfit as last week, it's also something that honestly only 2003 Paris Hilton would wear, and it was soooo bad. I think Christian is the only one who understood Victoria has no talent, he hated the bag (and rightly so) and was super meh about the dress in the workroom. I would've paid to see his face when they announced she was in the top.

That said, I actually loved Tyler's Tokyo outfit and don't know why they put him in the bottom. They asked for street style, he gave them street style, and the pants were pretty cool. "Saint Sergio", on the other hand, designed a proper red carpet gown, so it doesn't matter whether it was a nice dress or not, he should be in the bottom because he didn't meet the challenge's criteria. It was also like admitting he can't design anything else but gowns and fancy clothes. So l guess let's just wait and see how long it takes the judges to realize that.

I do believe Victoria ending up on top was blatant producer shenanigans.  She was never really in the running to win this challenge, the judges just needed a third and she was it.  I don't think it was a bad dress compared to the rest of the safe designers, nor do I think it was better than any of the safe designers.  Two day challenges like this give the producers more time to find out which designers are sparring with Christian in the workroom and gives them more footage to create a narrative for each episode.  I noticed they included Christian's exasperated sigh as Victoria's model went down the runway with that purse.  

I also wish Sergio was in the bottom.  He completely disregarded the essence of the challenge.  Dude needs to be knocked down a peg especially with his comment that young women cannot afford his clothes.  There was nothing edgy in his design and styling.  My only guess as to why he was safe was that Delvin's amazing coat was also not streetwear.  

11 hours ago, SailorGirl said:

EDIT: Guess I was wrong about peacock dress dude -- he's in the top. And I don't think that crazy hair girl should be in the top either. I really hope last season was not an aberration and that they are not slipping into the Lifetime issues that tanked it over there. . . 

I know it;s only the second episode and there are still a lot of designers, but what makes naturally curly hair "crazy?"  

• Love 8
54 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I adore the remote and ascetic Delvin. I love that he marches to his own drummer and he's not an asshole about it. (I'm looking at you SERGIO). Some may find him off putting and I understand why but I just love him. I love that he sticks to his guns in a calm and measured way,  no diva turns or eye rolling (SERGIO). I love his quiet confidence and the fact that once he's done, he's done; no endless tweaking and fussing. His dodging Christian was hilarious. Christian does not intimidate him, and I think Christian is having a hard time with that. I'm very interested to see how this plays out. The parrot feather dress was to die for.

I agree with you.  I super duper like Da'Young but the other designers don't have to help her and I don't begrudge the ones who sat it out.  His instincts were all correct this round anyway, he was in second place.  These designers don't even really know each other and don't really owe each other anything.

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Young people are the ones with disposable income.  All of their income is disposable.

As usual Christian was spot on and Sergio looked stupid.

Exactly. And there are plenty of rich people who have kids and buy them clothes. You know, like some of those 45 year old women he's designing for.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

"We went from Yoda to Beyonce in 24 hours!"  What is that guy's name?  Martin?

Alan, the same guy who ran out of the workroom last week for a macaron 🙂

24 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I also wish Sergio was in the bottom.  He completely disregarded the essence of the challenge.  Dude needs to be knocked down a peg especially with his comment that young women cannot afford his clothes.  There was nothing edgy in his design and styling.  My only guess as to why he was safe was that Delvin's amazing coat was also not streetwear.  

I agree about Sergio. The gown he sent down the runway was even less youthful/street than what he showed to Christian. However, I think Delvin's parrot print coatdress qualifies as streetwear, maybe only for the Upper East Side but still. Though, as much as I liked the coat, I hated the styling. I thought Marquis deserved the win.

1 hour ago, njbchlover said:

I also was unimpressed that lab coat guy that was finished so early (is it Delvin?), was playing hide and seek with Christian, but wouldn't lift a finger to help out Deyoung (sp-?). 

I didn't mind that he didn't help since as he pointed out, she already had help from several other designers.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I know it;s only the second episode and there are still a lot of designers, but what makes naturally curly hair "crazy?"  

Her curls have nothing to do with it -- it looks unkempt and sloppy, like she tossed and turned all night and rolled out of bed and left the house.

To quote the post directly above this one in regard to Marnie -- "She always looks like she just crawled out of bed and padded down to the 7-Eleven to get a cup of coffee.  Brush your hair!" 

Same goes with crazy hair woman. 

Messy hair is messy hair, whether its straight, curly, long, short, pink, purple, whatever.  

Don't automatically assume I am making a negative judgment based on a feature she has no control over, such as her skin color, her type of hair, her gender, or anything else -- that is not at all what I said. 

If her clothes were dirty or look like she rolled out of bed in them, I would have referenced her by that. "dirty shirt girl; wrinkly dress girl." The type of clothing would not have been the issue. 

Sloppy is sloppy and her hair looks sloppy. 

Please don't try to make something out of nothing in regard to me. Thank you. 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 17
49 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I agree with you.  I super duper like Da'Young but the other designers don't have to help her and I don't begrudge the ones who sat it out.  His instincts were all correct this round anyway, he was in second place.  These designers don't even really know each other and don't really owe each other anything.

Not only that, but its virtue signaling on at least some of their parts, I don't doubt. I don't like that. Good on them if it wasn't, if DaYoung's helpers were all being kind and collegial, that's great. But as you say, no one is obliged to jump in. And too many helpers could have easily caused problems for poor frazzled DaYoung--she would have to wrangle them, for one thing, taking her attention from the big picture. Delvin strikes me as a very reserved gentleman, very dignified and proper. Harder to get to know, but absolutely steadfast to his friends.

I like DaYoung a lot but I'm worried that she's too fragile for the hurly burly of Project Runway. The first challenge she practically dissolved in tears over the fit issues of her garment. This time she's so overwhelmed she can't get out of bed and is whisked off to the hospital!

Dear sweet little Alan is just a winsome sprite and while I don't think he'll last long I love him.

• Love 19

I thought for sure Sergio was going home or at least getting a wake up call and in the bottom. Usually when the talking head edits are like, I'm awesome! I'll never be in the bottom! My garment is beautiful! the end result is, you're not awesome! You are in the bottom! Your garment is fugly! So call me disappointed when he was safe. 

I also don't get his comment about young people not affording his stuff. If the 45-60 year old can afford it, so can their kids. 

I liked Delvin in the first episode but this one was not kind to him. I'm done early so let me run around the work room avoiding Christian and bug all you people that are still working. And also, I'm not helping a fellow contestant that was in the hospital because this is a competition and I'm here to win not to make friends. 

Let me amend my statement here by saying I don't begrudge someone for not helping someone else when it comes to that person having time management issues. We've seen many times in the past a designer scrambling to get done because of whatever reason and I'm totally fine with some designers saying, I'm not helping them. But this issue is a bit different as in, she was in the hospital!! And he was done so far in advance that he was walking around avoiding Christian and even commented to one designer, I was done yesterday. So yah, he could have helped her. 

Completely agree with the judges on the winner, I'd wear that whole outfit. Agree with the judges about who they sent home from those bottom 3 designers but don't agree with the bottom 3 in the first place. 

Edited by Samwise979
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I agree that they don't owe each other anything and I'm not going to say Delvin sucks for not helping. The weird thing was how the production handled this whole thing. I mean, they should've either had Dayoung sit this one out entirely or they should've guaranteed her immunity because she only had one day to make her outfit. In any case, it was obvious they were never going to eliminate Dayoung, no matter how her outfit looked (and by the way, it wasn't bad at all). 

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I didn't have an issue with Alan going to get a snack while they were in the workroom. It's up to the designers to know when they need to take a break or get some food/water. This is a high stress situation so you need to take care of yourself or you will burn out. But I did laugh when Christian said he shouldn't be taking a break when he had Yoda on his dress form. From Yoda to Beyoncé in one day! What he made didn't look like streetwear to me though. The model looked good in it but the top looked like it was from Forever 21. I liked the draping on the back of the skirt though.

I absolutely love Alan but I couldn't agree more, the whole thing looked like it came straight from the sales rack in the older women section at TJ Maxx. The fabric he used for the top looked super cheap, that color palette is terrible and the way he styled it with those snakeskin boots... I wanted to cry. The whole ensemble screamed "(50 yo) Girls' Night Out". I'm sorry but I have a feeling Alan is not long for this workroom.

• Love 2

I don't mind Marnie.  I thought the judges were going to yell at Delvin about that horrible belt he put on the dress.

Christian - if you've just had a contestant taken to the hospital, maybe you shouldn't complain when the other ones need a break.

• Love 19
14 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

I don't mind Marnie.  I thought the judges were going to yell at Delvin about that horrible belt he put on the dress.

Christian - if you've just had a contestant taken to the hospital, maybe you shouldn't complain when the other ones need a break.

Or food!  Very good point.

22 minutes ago, stormy weather said:

I agree that they don't owe each other anything and I'm not going to say Delvin sucks for not helping. The weird thing was how the production handled this whole thing. I mean, they should've either had Dayoung sit this one out entirely or they should've guaranteed her immunity because she only had one day to make her outfit. In any case, it was obvious they were never going to eliminate Dayoung, no matter how her outfit looked (and by the way, it wasn't bad at all). 

I personally thought it was awful!  LOL

• Love 1

So glad we're back. Mango (Christian) really found his snark again! I like how he laughed, "That's not true" about the  young  ones not having money to buy clothes. Heh, Christian hangs with a different young clientele, (rap/pop stars, movie stars, jet setters) than you do St. Sergio.
I agree Delvin (Dr No-help) isn't obliged to help Dayoung; he seemed to imply getting help was an improper advantage.. But really,  Delvin, wouldn't cats just rip that parrot to shreds?

• LOL 9

I continue to love Brandon for how respectful he is to the models when he comes up close to examine the garment.  He acknowledges them as a person, and implicitly is asking for permission to touch them.  That is nice.

I really like Christian's mentor style.  He's engaged and pushing them, but not overly guiding them.  I loved Tim Gunn, but even from the beginning he was pretty much just your favorite uncle checking in to see how you were doing, and was supportive no matter what you were trying to do.  Very rarely did Tim provide a "WTF are you thinking?" clue bat, and only if the design was egregiously bad, and then he did it so politely that it was often ignored.  Tim Gunn was not a designer, so he has far too much respect for the "creative process" and was loathe to interfere.  Christian is a designer--a good one--and he has no problem busting into the "creative process" because he knows how much of it is dramatic BS.

Where Christian has a blind spot is in his insistence that all designers adhere to a "nose to the grindstone" Calvinist work ethic like he does.  On the one hand, his hustle did allow him to win his season, and make a successful post-PR career.  But on the other hand, he's projecting his process on all the others who do work differently.  If Delvin decides he's done, and Christian can't convince him to tweak a little, and Delvin loses, that's Delvin's fault.  We've also seen in the past that designers with too much time on their hands zhuzh up their designs make horrible choices that take a OK design to "OMG!  WTF!?!"

Even Christian can't make up his mind, first he's all "This competition takes it out of you!  You really need to learn how to pace yourself and find ways to cope with the pressure!" after the Dayoung incident.  Also Christian "Why are you going to get a snack?  You have Yoda on your mannequin over there!"

I was a little surprised by the winning design.  I mean, it was perfectly fine for a win, but I thought the patchworked together set of pattern pieces of different animal print designs would be far too complicated and expensive to manufacture and sell at a profit to PR fans.  Then I looked at the other two top designs, and realized they were even more complicated and would be even more expensive to produce.  That green parrot feather printed coat dress was deceptively simple, but Delvin meticulously matched the fabric with his pattern pieces with a symmetric precision and flair that would be impossible to mass produce.  Victoria's tortured strappy "Wakandan Stewardess" (funniest line ever on PR) would have been a nightmare as well.

• Useful 3
  • Love 12

When I was young I was in college, then paying off student loans with a low paying job-so I sort of get that opinion. Most young women I know are mostly interested in the latest trends and having lots of looks rather than a few quality pieces. But if you come on the show you need to be prepared for street looks, red carpet looks and everything else.

I liked Tim better than Christian and I don’t like his idea that the designers shouldn’t have a break. And I don’t know , but a lot of his critiques just seem to be saying how awful something is which is not necessarily helpful.

I thought most of the designers did fairly good this week. I liked Nancy’s shredded look and the winning outfit in particular.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

I was a little surprised by the winning design.  I mean, it was perfectly fine for a win, but I thought the patchworked together set of pattern pieces of different animal print designs would be far too complicated and expensive to manufacture and sell at a profit to PR fans.  Then I looked at the other two top designs, and realized they were even more complicated and would be even more expensive to produce.  That green parrot feather printed coat dress was deceptively simple, but Delvin meticulously matched the fabric with his pattern pieces with a symmetric precision and flair that would be impossible to mass produce.  Victoria's tortured strappy "Wakandan Stewardess" (funniest line ever on PR) would have been a nightmare as well.

I love Delvins design from the fabulous fabric to his meticulous tailoring, but there was no way that could be mass produced.   It would kill the couture vibes of his design as well.  That is one drawback to pairing the winning design of a challenge to putting the garment into production.   The best design may not win.  

That being said, I peaked at the winning design that is available to preorder,  and I like it on the plus-sized model.  Both pieces are flattering on her.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Eulipian 5k said:

So glad we're back. Mango (Christian) really found his snark again! I like how he laughed, "That's not true" about the  young  ones not having money to buy clothes. Heh, Christian hangs with a different young clientele, (rap/pop stars, movie stars, jet setters) than you do St. Sergio.
I agree Delvin (Dr No-help) isn't obliged to help Dayoung; he seemed to imply getting help was an improper advantage.. But really,  Delvin, wouldn't cats just rip that parrot to shreds?

Dr No Help!  hahahahahahahha

Is Mango an SNL reference!?!?

39 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

If Delvin decides he's done, and Christian can't convince him to tweak a little, and Delvin loses, that's Delvin's fault.  We've also seen in the past that designers with too much time on their hands zhuzh up their designs make horrible choices that take a OK design to "OMG!  WTF!?!"

I think that's what happened to Sergio.  Amish Animal Print Drapes.  

• LOL 2
19 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

When I was young I was in college, then paying off student loans with a low paying job-so I sort of get that opinion.

I was actually thinking of my life age 16-18.  Working part time jobs, having absolutely no bills, and shopping every day!

Designers aren't looking to college students for inspiration (sweats, no makeup, flannel, pajamas, messy hair -- LOL).  It's more high school/teenagers who are the most cutting edge.  They set the tone.  Teenagers are rebellious, counterculture, experimental, hormonal, finding themselves.  When I was in college I couldn't really focus on fashion.  The fashion people I idolized in my teens are the same people I still idolize today.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Veronica deserved to go home with those designer Depends looking bloomers.

100%. She even said they looked like a soggy diaper, and she was right.

On the shallow, I wanted to brush her hair and take her to get a trim.

8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I loved when Marquise said that he's a student at YouTube University. One of the things I love about the internet in general and YouTube in particular is how much you can learn while you're in your pajamas at home. I have watched tutorials on all kinds of stuff and learned things for free in the middle of the night instead of having to get my ass up early on a Saturday morning and paying to take a class.

I can do minor plumbing repairs thanks to YouTube! Let me at your clogged drains!

I didn't have an issue with Alan going to get a snack while they were in the workroom. It's up to the designers to know when they need to take a break or get some food/water.

Yeah. I'm grown. I'll eat when I damn well please, thanks. Surely they don't expect the designers not to take food, water, and bathroom breaks?

19 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

When I was young I was in college, then paying off student loans with a low paying job-so I sort of get that opinion.

Yeah. As a teenager, most of my income (and I always worked, so I did have income) was disposable but my income wasn't high enough to afford designer clothes. As a college student, I kept working but I had less disposable income because I had more expenses (books cost a grip). First job didn't pay much and now I had rent and bills to pay, so not a lot of disposable income - I had SOME, but not a ton. Sample sales were (are!) my friends. I mean, how much literature is there about how millennials (I'm an older one) don't have money for luxuries (or even essentials like health care) because COL has gone up and wages haven't? 

Also, I have heard over and over and over that designers should focus more on women in their 40s and up because THEY have the disposable income. Sergio is a dick though, and his design was trash.

I like Delvin. I suspect that he's an introvert. Very focused, probably has a small group he's close to. Introversion doesn't always read well, especially on camera and ESPECIALLY on a show such as this with so many big personalities. That coat dress really was impeccably tailored - I was impressed when they showed the back and it mirrored wings.

There are so many of them! I don't know their names. What's the Black woman's name with the cool glasses? And there was one who was wearing an outfit I liked (black crop top, green pants) and I kept thinking I wanted to remember her name because the outfit was cute, but it just whooshed by me. I didn't know Veronica's name until she was the focus this episode (phone call home of doom strikes again).

(I am still not seeing Cats. I fast-forwarded through the shameless plug. My grandmother took me and my brother to the show when we were kids. I hated it.)

• Love 14

And yes, Brandon, chokers are back!

Plus this was supposed to be inspired by Cats and correct me if I'm wrong cats wear collars (aka chokers) right? So even if they weren't back, which I agree, I think they are, it would still be appropriate styling for this challenge.

Last week I kind of liked Dalvin, he was reminding me of Michael who I always appreciated for his quiet, calm confidence. But this week he was leaning a bit too much into his arrogance, maybe? Like, yes he's talented so some arrogance is warranted, but he was projecting a bit of smugness with it perhaps. Or a bit more meanness? I can be swayed back in the other direction, but that was how it was vibing for me. 

And though I thought his print and technique were stellar I didn't think there was anything particularly wow about a coat dress (impeccably fitted though it was) and it certainly does not fit my admittedly vague idea of "street". So I was glad he wasn't chosen winner.

And as regards "street design" I wish they'd retire that as a challenge concept entirely. When they don't like a design they're like, "that's not street" but it they like it then you have one of them (Elaine, I believe) saying things like "street isn't just one thing" or "this is a different street" in order to defend it's non-streetness. 

• Love 14

Just like the first couple weeks of Top Chef, there was a moment on the runway when I thought to myself "HAVE WE EVER SEEN THIS PERSON BEFORE?" (Melanie, woman with straight blond hair). And I don't recall any interaction of Christian with her either!

IMG-6752.JPG

IMG-6751.JPG

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, Pop Tart said:

And as regards "street design" I wish they'd retire that as a challenge concept entirely. When they don't like a design they're like, "that's not street" but it they like it then you have one of them (Elaine, I believe) saying things like "street isn't just one thing" or "this is a different street" in order to defend it's non-streetness. 

I have no idea what "street design" is.  Do people dress differently to just walk around the streets?  What I wear to walk around on the street is exactly just what I'm wearing that day.  Maybe if I was dressed up for an important meeting at work, I'd change into something more comfortable to pop down the block for a glass of wine when I got home.  But I don't change clothes for a certain "walking around" vibe like I would change clothes to go out to a nice dinner, or to go to the gym.

Is "street design" a euphemism for "hip-hop look" to avoid sounding racist?  Because that's kind of what it was sounding like.

• Love 17
5 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

The editing is beyond obvious. Veronica waffled at Mood, made the Phone Call of Death, and "wasn't happy" with her look and hoped the judges "wouldn't notice". Oh honey.

And we only saw Christian interacting with the top and bottom designers. Chelsey? Melanie? Sahvi? Hello? Step it up, 

Agree, but this seems to always happen with this many designers. Get down to 8 or so and then the real fun begins. Last season I picked Sebastian as my favorite on episode one or two. This year is  more wide open.

• Love 1

Her curls have nothing to do with it -- it looks unkempt and sloppy, like she tossed and turned all night and rolled out of bed and left the house.

She always looks like she just crawled out of bed and padded down to the 7-Eleven to get a cup of coffee.  Brush your hair!

Yikes, man, some people just have hair that's naturally not calm and neat. I go to work all the damn time without brushing my hair--what's the point when it's going to do this (apparently shameful) bedhead thing again of its own volition anyway?

Loved snooty Sergio's dress, though I guess it did not meet the challenge. But going only by my experience, there was no "disposable income" when I was in my 20s while I was paying for rent, tuition, food, etc. I have much more now, thank the gods. However, no matter how much I dug his dress, I don't think I'd like a train whether I was indoors or on a street. Ick.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

I have no idea what "street design" is.  Do people dress differently to just walk around the streets?

The term seemed to mean when "couture" designers notice it. In the 60s and 70s kids started wearing jeans and sneakers, and old Vietnam war surplus clothes everywhere,  Designers saw that "on the street" (not at anyone's atelier) and now they tear the jeans and sell them for hundreds of dollars. Same thing happened with the big puffy coats and multi colored outfits of hip hoppers that became "street wear". Heidi's New Balance market and designs came from Run DMC's use of Adidas track suits, which came from....the street.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
43 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Just like the first couple weeks of Top Chef, there was a moment on the runway when I thought to myself "HAVE WE EVER SEEN THIS PERSON BEFORE?" (Melanie, woman with straight blond hair). And I don't recall any interaction of Christian with her either!

IMG-6752.JPG

IMG-6751.JPG

My memory of Christian's interaction with her was at Mood when she showed him the print and war worried it wasn't animal enough and he said "it has cats on it - that's animal!"

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

16 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

My memory of Christian's interaction with her was at Mood when she showed him the print and war worried it wasn't animal enough and he said "it has cats on it - that's animal!"

Right. He also had a brief interaction with her in the workroom where he said something about the asymmetrical, uneven hem of the top would be what helped to make it interesting or something beyond just a top and a skirt.

• Love 3