Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E02: Cats of the Urban Jungle

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Geoffrey's hooded poncho/caftan was a mediocre/poor look that was ruined by the styling. He had those knee high heeled black boots, the gloves with fingernails, and choker. When he was trying to figure out the shoes, he had the knee high boots he went with and a pair of combat boots. I remember saying "combat boots, combat boots, combat boots!"

Me too. Much cooler.

• Love 2
On 12/13/2019 at 10:03 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I agree with you.  I super duper like Da'Young but the other designers don't have to help her and I don't begrudge the ones who sat it out.  His instincts were all correct this round anyway, he was in second place.  These designers don't even really know each other and don't really owe each other anything.

For me, when Nancy (I think it was Nancy) got a bunch of designers to come over and help hem Daeyoung's dress, by the time she shouted out that EVERYONE should come over and help, IIRC (and I rewatched this twice), at this point it seemed like there were TOO MANY hands in the mix and not really any room for anyone else (plus, all these different people hemming up different sections seemed to me to be the road to madness and a very uneven/inconsistent result). 

So while Delvin's response seemed rude/un"team"ly at worst and selfish at best, I didn't blame him ... though it was obvious (with her "aside", etc.) that he was definitely being labeled Mr. "Doesn't Work Well With Others" (and that may bite him in the ass). 

Of course, I may have been biased in this reaction since he's definitely one of my early favorites ... I've absolutely LOVED both of his designs so far (really felt last week that his team's white-with-red-trim duo was horribly overlooked). I'm also on the Marquise train after the way he took three different prints and "made it work" so well! For me, they were the obvious Top 2 and how Victoria ended up there is mind-boggling. I cannot wait to see the last of her (and I think Christian agrees). 

I think there were only two designs I could imagine wearing, though ... Delvin's GORGEOUS parrot dress/coat (which also brought to mind how surprised I was that no one found a peacock print!) and ShaVi's simple but stunning dress (too simple to win, but really "wearable"). 

Oh, show. I've missed you so ...

PS If anyone has actually read this and knows the answer, this can't be the original Swatch, can it? Do they number Swatches like some college football team I can't recall right now that has a live animal mascot and have given it numbers over the many years?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

PS If anyone has actually read this and knows the answer, this can't be the original Swatch, can it? Do they number Swatches like some college football team I can't recall right now that has a live animal mascot and have given it numbers over the many years?

According to This article about Swatch, he was 6 in 2013 (when the article was written), so the Swatch we see is about 12 or 13.

• Love 3

I have always (minority opinion here) liked Nina. 

I like her too. Over so many seasons there have certainly been times when I strongly disagreed with her. But overall I like that she cares about the whole package-the look, the construction and the styling. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, LucindaWalsh said:

I am glad this bunch isn't "zomg chubby models, I'm doooomed". T

1 hour ago, Jsage said:

I like her too. Over so many seasons there have certainly been times when I strongly disagreed with her. But overall I like that she cares about the whole package-the look, the construction and the styling. 

I love Nina.  It's a competition.  If people want to excel/compete/succeed in any profession, they need the necessary skills.  And they all chose to put themselves on broadcast television.

Can you explain what "zomg chubby models, I'm doooomed" means in terms that an old lady can relate to?!

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Don’t know about Swatch (who I love) but I think you are talking about UGA, the bulldog mascot of my beloved University of Georgia Bulldogs (currently, we have UGA X). Sadly he did not help the teams disgrace in the SEC Championship game 😢

7 hours ago, LucindaWalsh said:

I know why I don't relate to Elaine but I can't explain it. She is just that girl who isn't quite right for the part.

So not a fan of Elaine.

• Love 3

my impression of Christian scolding poncho guy for getting a snack was timing. I thought he was on his case because that was not the moment for a snack (while Christian is doing critiques or the models are there). But that may just be me assuming that was his point.

I still like this cast. Sergio is the hardest to like and I was shocked that his look seemed to go from really conservative looking to adding Little House on the Prairie features. Really off. I assumed he got through because it looked well made?

• Love 6

When I'm rich (ha!) and I'm interviewing personal stylists, Marnie Belafonte will be laughed out of my house if she turns up looking like she did on tonight's episode.  And someone needs to tell her that her top-knot just lengthens her already long nose.

Edited by Brookside
Grammar
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6

I love Nina. She's freaking awesome.

I am enjoying Brandon.

Christian has come into his own.

Of the designers, I absolutely loved Nancy's outfit. However, it couldn't be mass produced easily and cheaply. I love Devlin as well, Dr. Couture. He seems to not enjoy interaction with the other designers and I am totally on board with that. However, I thought his parrot dress was overpraised. The fabric was gorgeous, but the design was so so. It was executed beautifully though. His dress last week was much better.

• Love 7

This may be an unpopular opinion but I'm not ready to write Sergio off as a bad person quite yet. He has a horribly inflated sense of his abilities, yes, but I noticed that he was one of the people who helped Dayoung. He held her hand when her look was going down the runway. He's hugged and congratulated designers who had good reviews and hugged and consoled designers who had bad ones when they come back from the judging. I think he's stubborn and I think he thinks he's more talented than the others, but those little glimpses of kindness give me more hope for him. I hope I'm not wrong.

On the other hand, I think Delvin is a bit more of a stealth bitch than I was expecting. He's certainly talented but seeing him not only not help Dayoung but smirk about it, and then watching him pout and sidle off wordlessly when he didn't win didn't sit well with me at all.

I don't know that I was totally sold on anyone's entire look, with the exception of Tyler's. I thought that was the most accurate in terms of "street wear" of the bunch, and it just looked cool. I was surprised the judges put him in the bottom instead of the hideousness that Victoria sent down the runway. But I did like piecees of a few outfits. Loved Brittany's and Nancy's jackets and liked Chelsey's and Marquise's tops.

• Love 12

Maybe I am alone here, but I really didn't like Marquise's look at all, let alone for the win. The top reminded me of some horrible 80's fashion, and I really hated that skirt/shorts thing on the bottom. And don't even get me started on these orthopedic sneakers that are having a moment. Talk about fugly!

I liked Chelsie, Nancy and Shavi the best. I would have given the win to Nancy just for the jacket alone. I also thought Victoria should have been on the bottom. I'm surprised Nina wasn't spouting about "taste level" because I thought it was tacky and the purse was horrendous. I thought the bottom should have been Veronica, Victoria and Sergio. Speaking of......

What an obnoxious, pretentious tool! That dress was ugly, no matter if you're 25 or 65!

• Love 8
On 12/15/2019 at 3:03 AM, HunterHunted said:

Geoffrey's hooded poncho/caftan was a mediocre/poor look that was ruined by the styling. He had those knee high heeled black boots, the gloves with fingernails, and choker. When he was trying to figure out the shoes, he had the knee high boots he went with and a pair of combat boots. I remember saying "combat boots, combat boots, combat boots!" He didn't go with that. Someone like Marni might have helped him to style the look closer to the other stereotype about cats--IDGAF. The combat boots might have put his outfit closer to safe and made Sergio's Amish Safari Eleganza stand out as not even adhering to the challenge brief.

I think Geoffrey's bigger problem was those horrible yellow pants. I think if he had just added one more alternating black/cheetah to the bottom it would have made a cute dress. He could have ditched the pants altogether. He knew they weren't great and the fit was terrible. But even if he had turned it into a dress, I do agree the combat boots would have been better......

• Love 3

Finally took my ass to the Bravo site to find out who's outfit I liked.  Her name is Brittany and she won last week.

So cool, I think.  Cool outfit, but maybe the judges thought she was kind of cheating with the "animal print" aspect of it.

I would *never* wear a skort.  The last time I remember that being a thing was like 30 years ago!  But as soon as Marquise started talking about his gender bending outfits, I was like.  Ok.  That's kind of cool I guess and a little above my thinking.  Skirt = "female" , short = "male", kind of a cool idea.  I wouldn't wear the blouse but he mixed 3 different prints meaningfully and it was well made.

https://www.bravotv.com/project-runway/season-18/season-18/blogs/project-runway-season-18-episode-2-recap

project-runway-1802-final-outfit-15.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
5 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Cool outfit, but maybe the judges thought she was kind of cheating with the "animal print" aspect of it.

I remember when that came down the runway thinking "where's the print?" Is it the sleeve of the jacket? Hard to tell what print the little top has. 

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

So cool, I think.  Cool outfit, but maybe the judges thought she was kind of cheating with the "animal print" aspect of it.

I think the little top underneath is snakeskin print? I liked all three pieces she made separately, but to me, none of it went together. YMMV, obviously.

On 12/14/2019 at 1:36 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

I also thought that she was going to quit. And then that would force them to bring back one of the women from last week.

I was hoping she would STAY just for that reason.   I don't want either one of them back.

• Love 1
On 12/15/2019 at 5:46 PM, Jsage said:

Nina is interesting to watch.  Often points out something that would never have occurred to me.  As expected, there were some times when I totally thought she was crazy praising an outfit, but mostly I think she is on the money...….Brandon is a little shocking to me in what he says or how he says it sometimes, probably because I had never heard of him before.....no apologies for that as my  only fashion sense is watching PR.      I like him most of the time, even though I hate that unshaven look.  I think he would be much better looking with a clean face.   Marni as a fashion consultant?  For whom, Hester Sunshine.   Dear God, I remember from last season and thought she was high on something or on another planet the way she talked.   Elaine?  Is just there.  That is all.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, JenLily said:

This may be an unpopular opinion but I'm not ready to write Sergio off as a bad person quite yet. He has a horribly inflated sense of his abilities, yes, but I noticed that he was one of the people who helped Dayoung. He held her hand when her look was going down the runway. He's hugged and congratulated designers who had good reviews and hugged and consoled designers who had bad ones when they come back from the judging. I think he's stubborn and I think he thinks he's more talented than the others, but those little glimpses of kindness give me more hope for him. I hope I'm not wrong.

On the other hand, I think Delvin is a bit more of a stealth bitch than I was expecting. He's certainly talented but seeing him not only not help Dayoung but smirk about it, and then watching him pout and sidle off wordlessly when he didn't win didn't sit well with me at all.

I don't know that I was totally sold on anyone's entire look, with the exception of Tyler's. I thought that was the most accurate in terms of "street wear" of the bunch, and it just looked cool. I was surprised the judges put him in the bottom instead of the hideousness that Victoria sent down the runway. But I did like piecees of a few outfits. Loved Brittany's and Nancy's jackets and liked Chelsey's and Marquise's tops.

There is a lot of truth as to what you say about Sergio.  Usually the arrogant ones, you know who they are if you watched from Day 1, Season 1, are always arrogant and very few show a little compassion in my opinion.  I hope you are right about him also

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Finally took my ass to the Bravo site to find out who's outfit I liked.  Her name is Brittany and she won last week.

I would *never* wear a skort.  The last time I remember that being a thing was like 30 years ago!  But as soon as Marquise started talking about his gender bending outfits, I was like.  Ok.  That's kind of cool I guess and a little above my thinking.  Skirt = "female" , short = "male", kind of a cool idea.  I wouldn't wear the blouse but he mixed 3 different prints meaningfully and it was well made.

https://www.bravotv.com/project-runway/season-18/season-18/blogs/project-runway-season-18-episode-2-recap

project-runway-1802-final-outfit-15.jpg

I really didn't like the top underneath the jacket.  It looked like the model had been eating a hot fudge sunday and things went very, very wrong.

• LOL 4

I was really meh on the winning look, it was well made but I don't like the skort with half skirt look.

I was looking at pictures and Chelsey's should have gotten some notice from the judges.  Good use of the print and it's cute. 

Project-Runway-Season18-Episode-2-Runway-Looks-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-Chelsey-Carter.jpg.7f3d0e7e0e7871bfd7759475ae68a196.jpg

Nancy's full look which should have been in the top IMO.

Project-Runway-Season18-Episode-2-Runway-Looks-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-Nancy-Volpe-Beringer.jpg.a8ef8996351d1aa7fbfafa456f434d4f.jpg

I like the footwear with both looks too. 

Damn, Sergio's was ugly! 

• Love 14

Amazon finally made the episode available so I watched it tonight.

Marquise definitely deserved the win. I liked how he pieced the different fabrics together.

Veronica says at the beginning that everyone sees a soft little fairy when they see her. But I see Gretchen . . . and she manifested Gretchen with the granny pants!! That top looked like what you wear when getting your hair cut at the salon.  I'm glad she's gone.

I did like Delvin's parrot print. The only one with color. I'm glad Dae-yong made it through.

Christian was a little snippy with people!

• Love 5
On 12/15/2019 at 3:00 PM, LucindaWalsh said:

I love how gentle Christian is with a little comment when he has to send them on their way. This time it was that the outfit looked different (better?) than what he saw in the sewing room (paraphrasing). I enjoy all of Christian's different moods, comments, wardrobe on the show. I also liked that during the walk through talks, he got what she was and said there is a place for her boho look, if she could follow it through correctly.

Poncho/hat guy always makes me go to Howie Mandel. I see Howie the person and also see  Howie playing competitive reality show contestant character when poncho/hat guy is on the screen. I like it.

Ahhh Delvin is turning out to be my Top Chef Hung of PR. I was probably the only person who was completely team Hung for his being totally competitive. I loved that he didn't tell the others what made his fish wrapped in potato work (they had to all fix the same dish one after the other). I love that Delvin didn't go get camera brownie points for helping Die Young lady. 

Love Tyler calling out the bs wokeful Sergio. 

I thought the solid fabric on the winning outfit was an off putting color. It reminded me of the wrong tone of makeup smears when you are choosing a foundation color. I am all about mix and match so it wasn't that (like if he had used a primary color instead of a neutral) but there has to be the correct tone to it for it to work for me. I do like him and hope he goes on to the runway show. 

Cheese purse lady makes me think she is more on the show to become an accessory person than a clothing designer. 

I liked Karlie's outfit during the judging.

I hated  Brandon when I first watched last season but now I really look forward to seeing him.

I know why I don't relate to Elaine but I can't explain it. She is just that girl who isn't quite right for the part.

I think Marnie is a genuinely nice person but I cringe at her being a style icon. I wish they could lure Rachel Zoe into being a regular judge. I miss her having a show something dreadful.

I am glad this bunch isn't "zomg chubby models, I'm doooomed". There seems to be a good mix of models this season and they aren't being like the last bunch (making it about themselves).

I do miss the part of judging where the top and bottom looks come out for closer looks/touching of the garments. I want to see the details.

eta Are we seeing them do fittings on the models? I am having a brain lapse and don't remember those scenes this season. 

I loved, loved, loved Karlie's outfit.  Stunning.

Veronica (?) with that ugly as fuck bag?  I hated her design too.  She can get off my screen anytime with her "you don't understand fashion."

Edited by sasha206
  • Love 3

Ahhh Delvin is turning out to be my Top Chef Hung of PR. I was probably the only person who was completely team Hung for his being totally competitive. I loved that he didn't tell the others what made his fish wrapped in potato work (they had to all fix the same dish one after the other). I love that Delvin didn't go get camera brownie points for helping Die Young lady. 

Totally agree with you Delvin is my favorite.  Love how he is himself and feels no need to play the games that the show wants him to play.  He may not win but I respect him.  Plus it doesn't hurt that he is stunningly handsome.

I actually liked Geoffrey's top.  If he had styled it with black pants and combat boots (as someone else said)  it would have done better.

Sergio should have been in the bottom.

• Love 4
On 12/13/2019 at 6:08 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

I liked it quite a bit myself. And I like Tyler. He's not a mean girl but he definitely has people's number and I'm going to be very interested to hear his take on the goings on.

I agreed with all his talking heads. I like Tyler, too.

On 12/13/2019 at 11:58 AM, TattleTeeny said:

Yikes, man, some people just have hair that's naturally not calm and neat. I go to work all the damn time without brushing my hair--what's the point when it's going to do this (apparently shameful) bedhead thing again of its own volition anyway?

I'll take my comments to Small Talk.

On 12/14/2019 at 8:05 AM, Jobiska said:

Over the years I've downsized and downsized my purse size to save the weight on my neck/shoulder, as no matter how big it is, I would fill it full.  So that was all I could think about with Victoria's giant "pizza slice" (as some of the guys were calling it to tease her).  If I had that purse, I'd be dragging it on the ground, not swinging it playfully on the runway.  I enjoyed Christian's running commentary on the purse, even as he looked on via the backstage monitor.  

Heh, I have something called P*'s Corollary to Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law, for those who don't know, says that work will expand to fill the time assigned to it (yeppers, it's true). P's Corollary says that the amount of crap a woman hauls around with her will expand to fill the size of the purse she carries. I have been downsizing the size of bag I carry greatly over the years.

* P -- my first initial. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 12/16/2019 at 4:10 PM, Ilovepie said:

Maybe I am alone here, but I really didn't like Marquise's look at all, let alone for the win. The top reminded me of some horrible 80's fashion, and I really hated that skirt/shorts thing on the bottom. And don't even get me started on these orthopedic sneakers that are having a moment. Talk about fugly!

Thank you, because I hate - HATE - the shorts with part of a skirt hanging off the side bullshit.  HATE.  I did like the blouse, though I wouldn't wear it because I have a larger bust and high necklines are not my friend.

I'm also clearly not in sync with fashion because I really liked Geoffrey's hoodie jacket.  I would love to wear that.  Not with those mustard pants, but there are many options.

I haven't liked Victoria's designs, but she makes me laugh with her word choices and accent. 

• Love 6

My massively unpopular opinion: Dayoung should've been sent home.

By saying she was going to continue, she put the judges in an impossible situation (especially given how everybody pitched in and helped). There was no way her dress was going to land her in the bottom. They would've looked horrible and heartless after she "bravely" battled back from illness. But she missed a day. She missed hearing what the challenge was, doing the sketch, going shopping. Yeah, it was a 2-day challenge and she was lucky she had contestants to help her, but her garment was likely the simplest out of all the designers, and yet, the judges did their best "Sandra Bullock in that Netflix movie" blindfolded impersonation.

Victoria, who yes, made a bad soggy diaper and an unlined cape-whatever thing, still did more work and made more pieces than Dayoung. Even if they were bad pieces, she worked within the parameters of the challenge. She didn't get to take a day off for recovery.

I think Survivor rules (not Big Brother ones) should apply to Project Runway. Living within the parameters of the challenge is part of the show. Once you step out of those parameters, you're no longer qualified to be there. Miss a day of work, you go home. Dayoung had the ambulance called on her behalf. She missed a whole day, had her teammates help her, and then put the judges in an impossible situation.

Someone (including herself) should've made the decision to pull her from the show.

• Love 3