Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E02: Cats of the Urban Jungle

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Pop Tart said:

Plus this was supposed to be inspired by Cats and correct me if I'm wrong cats wear collars (aka chokers) right? So even if they weren't back, which I agree, I think they are, it would still be appropriate styling for this challenge.

Last week I kind of liked Dalvin, he was reminding me of Michael who I always appreciated for his quiet, calm confidence. But this week he was leaning a bit too much into his arrogance, maybe? Like, yes he's talented so some arrogance is warranted, but he was projecting a bit of smugness with it perhaps. Or a bit more meanness? I can be swayed back in the other direction, but that was how it was vibing for me. 

And though I thought his print and technique were stellar I didn't think there was anything particularly wow about a coat dress (impeccably fitted though it was) and it certainly does not fit my admittedly vague idea of "street". So I was glad he wasn't chosen winner.

And as regards "street design" I wish they'd retire that as a challenge concept entirely. When they don't like a design they're like, "that's not street" but it they like it then you have one of them (Elaine, I believe) saying things like "street isn't just one thing" or "this is a different street" in order to defend it's non-streetness. 

I agree with you!  That's why I keep coming back to this show - one week, I really like one designer - the next, I'm not liking them at all - and then, the thrid week, I'm liking them again.  (Well, except for certain contestants, like Hester, the "twins", Kendall, and several others whom I despised from day one until they got auf'd or the finale.)  As  you said, I will reserve the right to change my mind on a weekly basis regarding my most favorite or least favorite designers.  🙂

And, reading comments here that have a different perspective than my original opinion, perhaps I judged Delvin too harshly regarding not assisting Deyoung.  I'm still thinking that he will have some drama with other designers because:

1.  He's good/talented, he's confidant and he's fast.

2.  Some will hold it against him that he didn't pitch in to assist another designer that was having issues because of illness, not just poor time management.

Also, I love, love, love Christian, and really am enjoying him as a mentor, but when he commented on Delvin "being done/never should be done", I wanted to remind Christian that during his season, there were several challenges that he sat at his work station and did nothing because he had finished his garment so far ahead of the other designers.  He, too, was fast and confidant in his work.

• Useful 2
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

How did Victoria (from Moldavia) manage to say "fox leather" and "faux leather" in the space of 30 seconds?

Probably because she's accustomed to saying "fox leather", but then remembered that its actually "faux leather" and pronounced it correctly? She's said how hard it is for her to communicate solely in English all the time. 

And I think her hair is pretty. You can't brush super curly hair like that. You have to comb it out wet with a wide tooth comb, then pick it out when it dries. When I had a big curly perm that's what I did. 

• Love 11
18 hours ago, SailorGirl said:

Billy Porter curtain guy's dress looked like an a cross between an Amish conservative top merged with a flamenco dancer bottom. No. Just No. How the fuck was he safe with that atrocity?

I am smack dab in his demographic and I wouldn’t buy that monstrosity.  Nope.  The top was overworked as hell and I liked the comment from one of the other designers about how it would be dragging in the street.

I really like the older contestant’s shredded top.  The bottom, not so much, but that top was awesome. 

• Love 16
6 hours ago, Samwise979 said:

Completely agree with the judges on the winner, I'd wear that whole outfit. Agree with the judges about who they sent home from those bottom 3 designers but don't agree with the bottom 3 in the first place. 

I love Marquise! He is very cool. I think his attitude is wonderful.

That blouse was gorgeous. Love.

However, I did not like the color of the skort (is that what it was?) at all. And I thought the hair styling was frumpy.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

I am smack dab in his demographic and I wouldn’t buy that monstrosity.  Nope.  The top was overworked as hell and I liked the comment from one of the other designers about how it would be dragging in the street.

I really like the older contestant’s shredded top.  The bottom, not so much, but that top was awesome. 

“Overworked,” yes, absolutely. And so fussy. 

I forgot: The shredded top was brilliant! I’m so glad they showed her using the electric clippers on it. I wonder if she invented that technique while on Project Runway, or had used it before?

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Ladyrain said:

I also loved that shredded top.   I haven't memorized their names yet - was that Nancy's?   Is there even a Nancy?   I'm also so confused in the beginning with so many designers.

It was the "older one." Maybe her name is Nancy 🙂 That's certainly a good name for that demographic (which is roughly mine as well-- and I know a bunch of Nancy's 🙂 )

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Yup, that's her name; I looked it up just now.   She seems like a nice person.  I hope she does well going forward.  ----    I know nothing about sewing, so I have no idea how well she finishes garments, etc., but I really loved her Cats garment.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

When Dayoung explained her symptoms (weak, out-of-body and just 'generally strange' feelings), I suspected that she could be experiencing a panic attack.  Certainly, the pressurized environment these designers are suddenly thrown into might very well precipitate that!  (Admittedly, those telltale symptoms sounded kinda familiar to me...and if this makes sense to anyone else here, please raise your hands!) ☺️   I am SO glad that she was able to overcome this all-too-common reaction to stress, and I look forward to seeing her future runway designs!

(A shout-out' to Nancy for her esprit de corps & kindness.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 19
7 hours ago, Samwise979 said:

But this issue is a bit different as in, she was in the hospital!!

But part of the competition is handling the stress.  I personally think it's kind of stupid, but that's the field they're playing on.

She said she hadn't gotten enough sleep.  Should she be given an accommodation of an extra 2 hours of sleep over everyone else?

5 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I continue to love Brandon for how respectful he is to the models when he comes up close to examine the garment.  He acknowledges them as a person, and implicitly is asking for permission to touch them.  That is nice.

Heidi used to do the same thing, and props to both of them for it.

4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Yikes, man, some people just have hair that's naturally not calm and neat.

Well, that's why they invented brushes.

• Love 3

Ahahhahahhahaa, because why not make it bigger and MORE unruly (and also the part I mentioned about it going right back to bedhead anyway; I am not about to sit in my office brushing it every 30 minutes--so it's big and unruly or up in a knotty-looking bun, whatever)? Brushes aren't for all hair. But also, people's hair is not affecting anyone but the person whose head it's on.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 20

Are the designers able to watch the entire judging process or just the beginning where they tell us whose top and who is bottom. They seem to be catching the designers who are in the “ hot seat” with expressions like they are hearing what is being said.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Alan needing his snacks cracks me up.  I need my snacks too!

Count me in on really liking Nancy's shredded top, ep when I thought I would hate it.  I also liked the skirt and the styling (not that I could wear it).  I wish she had been up with the winners instead of Victoria and her giant pizza bag.

I thought it was great that designers helped gal who was sick and I don't begrudge Delvin that he didn't.   It was cute, him ducking Christian.   I kind of felt like his beautiful print was doing a lot of the work but then the judges said he matched something difficult to match (don't remember, sorry) which I couldn't really see.  

The woman who was eliminated - that was easy.  Thought the whole thing was terrible.

Too many people to remember right now but I am enjoying the season.  Christian is doing a really good job too; he's def more comfortable now that he's got a full season under his belt. 

• Love 10

Hahhahaaa, I laughed at (and related to) the snacks too!

Listen, maybe I am a loon, but I feel that the "bloomers" idea -- not what we saw -- could have been cute in some alternate universe; the shape looked nice to me from some angles--like a super-short flippy skirt without the worries that super-short flippy skirts bring, or a vintage lingerie vibe. Of course, I was looking at it on a person with a specific kind of body, so there's that. And also, I think the color really added to the "diaper" association. 

• Love 9
12 hours ago, njbchlover said:

I also was unimpressed that lab coat guy that was finished so early (is it Delvin?), was playing hide and seek with Christian, but wouldn't lift a finger to help out Deyoung (sp-?).  He's talented, and that coatdress was gorgeous, but to me, this says something about his personality.  He could have lent a big hand to her - I see some drama with him and the others in the future.

Why should he feel compelled to give her hand in the context of a competition? IMO, these designers are nuts to put together someone else's garment. She could potentially kick their asses down the line. 

• Love 15
3 hours ago, TzuShih said:

When Dayoung explained her symptoms (weak, out-of-body and just 'generally strange' feelings), I suspected that she could be experiencing a panic attack.  Certainly, the pressurized environment these designers are suddenly thrown into might very well precipitate that!  (Admittedly, those telltale symptoms sounded kinda familiar to me...and if this makes sense to anyone else here, please raise your hands!) ☺️   I am SO glad that she was able to overcome this all-too-common reaction to stress, and I look forward to seeing her future runway designs!

(A shout-out' to Nancy for her esprit de corps & kindness.)

Raising my hand!!!  I know that feeling very well, and also thought "panic attack".  My next thought was dehydration, which also could have happened.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I liked the winner the best. Probably one of the few times that I've agreed with these judges. The second place guy (Delvin?) is so full of himself, I'm afraid that it affects my feelings about his work. That being said, that suit dress was not street. It looked like something an older woman would wear to a cocktail party and I say that as an older woman ... although definitely not my color. The one thing I am totally nonplussed about is the guy that produced the long gown with the train. How? How? How is that street at all? Where would you wear that? It looked like a hillbilly dressing gown. That guy should've been in the bottom for sure.

• Love 10

I don’t understand why everyone would be so eager to help Da Young.  She competition in a competition show.  She had a panic attack (faked?) and got a day of rest, while the rest of you were working.  And you’re helping her?  Crazy.  

Most of these people seem... not talented.

• Love 7

I skipped last season after a few episodes because I was too Project Runway'd out (this was right about when All-Stars was finishing up and I ended skipping the last few episodes of that too), but this season has promise.

My absolute favorite part of the episode was when Victoria was talking about the fashion style of her country, Christian said something about how he should visit, and she told him that the roads were bad. Just random and funny.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5

Love another 2 day challenge & 45 minutes at Mood.

Ooooooooh! Tyler broke the fourth wall & brought the tea about St. Sergio! Juicy!

I like Bitchy Brandon. He's giving me Michael Kors Realness. It's not nice, but the fashion world is bitchy. In it's own way, it is a lesson these designers need to learn.

I know Marni isn't everybody's favorite, but I thought she had some good points. I wasn't feeling Fox Leather's design at all, but when Marni said: "Serena Williams"--- I saw the vision.... I still didn't like it, but I saw what she meant. & I like that the judges disagree.

I wasn't wild about the winning look, as a matter of fact, I think there's been a whole lot of fug this season. I did like Dr. No Help's (lol) coat dress though. Whatevs. I'm in it for the charm, personality & humour of Christian, Alan (?The Dreamer), & several others.

• Love 7

I’d have put Alan and his “Yoda to Beyoncé” look, or Melanie with her cat print outfit in the top over Victoria’s half and half dress with the ugly yellow bag.  Not that it matters, because Marquise had the best look on that runway, hands down.

I don’t think anyone felt obligated to help Dayoung, and I honestly can’t see her going the distance, so in many respects what’s the harm in helping her out a bit?  But I also don’t think Delvin is wrong for not helping.  She’s your competition, after all!  

• Love 9

I found quite funny that the eliminated design was one that guest judge Marnie had given high marks to. Seems like they totally disregarded her input and I felt the other judges did not have a high regard for her (can't blame them).

I feel that parrot jacket would have won if the garment did not have to be mass-produced and sold on line. It was stunning.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Brushes don't work on a lot of hair.  My hair breaks brushes.  It's strong!

I've broken combs clean in half while just doing my morning comb through!

12 hours ago, njbchlover said:

Also, I love, love, love Christian, and really am enjoying him as a mentor, but when he commented on Delvin "being done/never should be done", I wanted to remind Christian that during his season, there were several challenges that he sat at his work station and did nothing because he had finished his garment so far ahead of the other designers.  He, too, was fast and confidant in his work.

I was thinking about that too. I guess it's true that often what people don't like about others is something that they recognize in themselves. But yes, I remember Christian finishing early and then calmly sitting at his table while everyone else was frantically rushing around before time was called. You'd think he would relate to Delvin's ability to finish ahead of time instead of criticizing him for it. I'm not a sew-er but I am very efficient at other things so there have been times when I got called out because I wasn't doing anything. I was like, uh, how is it my fault or problem that other people are just slower than I am? I got my work done. Leave me alone.

9 hours ago, TzuShih said:

6 hours ago, njbchlover said:

Raising my hand!!!  I know that feeling very well, and also thought "panic attack".  My next thought was dehydration, which also could have happened.

Last week I mentioned that her initial freak out after the initial fitting was the kind of reaction I'm more used to seeing in the seventh or eighth week after the designers have been stressed and sleep deprived for weeks, not days, so I was already wondering if her body was more sensitive to the combination of stress and sleep deprivation. If she was having a panic attack then dehydration and/or lack of sleep could exacerbate it.

Some people's bodies don't adapt as well or as quickly to less sleep/more stress. It's not their fault any more than it would be if they sneezed or got a cold. It's not something that you can control or that you have a conscious choice in. One of my old bosses used to constantly tell us that no one really needs more than four hours of sleep per night. I was like, uh, speak for yourself. I can function on four hours of sleep but I function much better if I have six or eight hours of sleep. That doesn't mean I'm weak. It just means my body is different from yours. I can do the splits without warming up or stretching beforehand. Does that mean I'm better than you? Also no. We are just different. I don't know why people insist on putting judgments on those differences.

6 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I want her to stick around if for no other reason than I really admire her for pursuing her dream in her third act. I know it sounds hokey but I find that inspirational.

Same here. I think a lot of people get to their 40s/50s/60s and realize there are things they still want to do but they don't quit their jobs and pursue them for whatever reason (they have a mortgage payment, they need their health insurance, they don't know where to begin) so I love that Nancy decided to go for it!

• Love 18
9 hours ago, Token said:

I don’t understand why everyone would be so eager to help Da Young.  She competition in a competition show.  She had a panic attack (faked?) and got a day of rest, while the rest of you were working.  And you’re helping her?  Crazy.  

Most of these people seem... not talented.

I thought DaYoung was a bit tremulous and nervy in episode one. But I really think she is not cut out for this kind of pressure. She falls apart at the end of episode one and has to be hospitalized? Yikes. I don't think she faked it. I do think she will probably quit because she is just too fragile for this. I like her and I like her esthetic but I do not watch to see gentle, ethereal people fall apart under the pressure. So I hope she either finds her feet or bows out soon. 

I like Nancy a lot. She's kind. I also appreciate that, even though she's "older", she doesn't designate herself as the "mom" of the group, as so many ladies of a certain age do in these situations. She's an equal competitor, which I appreciate. Loved her jacket and I'm looking forward to seeing what else she can do. She's clearly very eager to show what she's got and take risks. She, Delvin, and Marquise are my faves so far. Oh, and sweet adorable Alan. 

I'm really appreciating the diversity in this cast. Good work Bravo. 

• Love 15

I loved Nancy's shredded top for something different than everyone else.

Same with the parrot/peacock print, although the only thing "street" about that look was when the society matron walks two steps to her limo.

I kinda like the bloomers but perhaps they should have been longer. Or maybe then they would have looked like an Elizabethan buccaneer.

Sergio's look was hideous. Like 50s aging B-movie actress (with Star Wars embellishments). He's there as Asshole Cannon Fodder. And Tyler has his number: "He's just here playing a character." And to advertise his brand.

I like DaYoung a lot but I'm worried that she's too fragile for the hurly burly of Project Runway. The first challenge she practically dissolved in tears over the fit issues of her garment. This time she's so overwhelmed she can't get out of bed and is whisked off to the hospital!

Her comments about feeling disconnected from her body were troubling. Severe lack of sleep coupled with stress can make one psychotic.

Christian is perfect for this show.

Brandon's reviews are the most meaningful.

Laughed at Swatch trotting out of the way.

The right contestant won.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

I like Bitchy Brandon. He's giving me Michael Kors Realness. It's not nice, but the fashion world is bitchy. In it's own way, it is a lesson these designers need to learn.

Sigh.  I admit you make a really good point.  I once worked in a store that my coworkers thought was high end fashion (it WASN'T) and one thing that I absolutely couldn't stand was how bitchy they were.  So yeah, even though I don't like Brandon, I think you're right.

8 hours ago, Marmiarmo said:

I don’t think anyone felt obligated to help Dayoung, and I honestly can’t see her going the distance, so in many respects what’s the harm in helping her out a bit?  But I also don’t think Delvin is wrong for not helping.  She’s your competition, after all!  

Agree.  The designers know the risks in helping. It's okay if they want to take those risks, and sweet too.

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

Laughed at Swatch trotting out of the way.

Yep!  I figured he was all "Cats?  Phooey!"  

I do remember Nancy's name, as she is from Philly, and that combined with her apparent good, kind nature has me rooting for her.

Over the years I've downsized and downsized my purse size to save the weight on my neck/shoulder, as no matter how big it is, I would fill it full.  So that was all I could think about with Victoria's giant "pizza slice" (as some of the guys were calling it to tease her).  If I had that purse, I'd be dragging it on the ground, not swinging it playfully on the runway.  I enjoyed Christian's running commentary on the purse, even as he looked on via the backstage monitor.  

And count me among those who were amused, not annoyed, by Delvin's hiding from Christian.  

He did make a sort of a feeble excuse in a talking head that there were a lot of people helping DaeYoung and so she didn't need more.  I think he basically just didn't feel like exerting himself at that point, and there was no reason he should have.  I mean, it would have been nice if he had done so, but I don't think it was terrible that he didn't.  I still like him and his coat okay.

Karlie joking that the door suited her height and then Christian saying the same was kind of cute, and then him trying to get through the door and then shrugging and walking around it.

I am sure they are saving Sergio for a delicious comeuppance which will be all the more dramatic if he goes on feeling superior for a few more episodes.  They didn't want to deflate him quite so soon.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I do think she will probably quit because she is just too fragile for this.

When somebody asked her what she was going to do the next day, I genuinely thought she was going to say she'd decided to leave. I was surprised to hear her say she was going to stay and fight. Her body language looked deflated to me. 

24 minutes ago, Jobiska said:

I do remember Nancy's name, as she is from Philly, and that combined with her apparent good, kind nature has me rooting for her.

Oh word? That makes me like her more too (I grew up in Philly)!

• Love 2
On 12/12/2019 at 11:40 PM, hula-la said:

I’m not a fan of animal (cat) print, so loved seeing the peacock print. I would wear that right now. I also loved the winning look too—even with the animal print. 

That many of the designers worked to help Dayeung is what I like about the return to Bravo. I don’t need cattiness and backstabbing behaviour. 

Not peacock - parrot.  It was beautifully made but not street except Park Ave.  I did love the parrot dress though.  I thought the winner was the best for the challenge and it was all kinds of zebra.  Victoria's was not good and was repetitive from the first challenge.  I want every challenge to be two days.  I don't like train wrecks.  I went missing from the show; I'm glad to be back.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

Oh word? That makes me like her more too (I grew up in Philly)!

Ha ha, yeah.  I only know because there was a piece in the local paper here--I can never get everything that's in those chyrons read, about where they're from and what their style is and so forth--every now and then I notice one and I'm like "I'm missing all this information" but hey.

I'm not a fashionista.  I like to sew, I like the creative process, and I like reality TV (certain kinds, anyway).  So I have no idea what "street" means and nor do I know what's out of fashion.  I liked the origami one a lot and I certainly think it was better and more interesting than some of the safe ones.

Oh hey--one of male-identified designers said he was into the "something scene," something that began with B, and it showed a lot of people in sort of dark spaces walking around in sort of punk-ish clothing (I told you I'm not a fashionista).  What was that word and does anyone know what that scene is about?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

When somebody asked her what she was going to do the next day, I genuinely thought she was going to say she'd decided to leave. I was surprised to hear her say she was going to stay and fight. 

I also thought that she was going to quit. And then that would force them to bring back one of the women from last week.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Jobiska said:

Ha ha, yeah.  I only know because there was a piece in the local paper here--I can never get everything that's in those chyrons read, about where they're from and what their style is and so forth--every now and then I notice one and I'm like "I'm missing all this information" but hey.

I'm not a fashionista.  I like to sew, I like the creative process, and I like reality TV (certain kinds, anyway).  So I have no idea what "street" means and nor do I know what's out of fashion.  I liked the origami one a lot and I certainly think it was better and more interesting than some of the safe ones.

Oh hey--one of male-identified designers said he was into the "something scene," something that began with B, and it showed a lot of people in sort of dark spaces walking around in sort of punk-ish clothing (I told you I'm not a fashionista).  What was that word and does anyone know what that scene is about?

Ballroom.

• Useful 1
46 minutes ago, Jobiska said:

Oh hey--one of male-identified designers said he was into the "something scene," something that began with B, and it showed a lot of people in sort of dark spaces walking around in sort of punk-ish clothing (I told you I'm not a fashionista). 

Yes, he said "Ballroom scene." Now my daughter did competitive Ballroom Dancing in college. I quickly realized there is nothing in common. LOL. But here's some info if you want to delve into it.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/05/30/magazine/vogue-kiki-new-york.html

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I thought DaYoung was a bit tremulous and nervy in episode one. But I really think she is not cut out for this kind of pressure. She falls apart at the end of episode one and has to be hospitalized? Yikes. I don't think she faked it. I do think she will probably quit because she is just too fragile for this. I like her and I like her esthetic but I do not watch to see gentle, ethereal people fall apart under the pressure. So I hope she either finds her feet or bows out soon. 

I'm sure DaYoung was determined to stay in the completion but I agree it may not be the best thing for her. Her anxiety in the first challenge was extremely high. Then, when they showed her getting into the wheelchair, she said something about feeling separated from the rest of the world. I'm not a psychiatrist but this sounds like disassociation which can go along with anxiety or panic. These are medical conditions that can't usually be treated with just sleep. I hope for her sake that she's fine for the rest of the competition, but I also hope she seeks some type of medical attention afterwards to find out why this happened and how to stop it from happening again.

• Love 5

Call me a beeyotch, but I thought Dayoung's creation was hideous and should have been in the bottom. It looked kind of like an obi made out of a faux fur bedspread.

I also thought that there is only so much room for people to be helping hem, etc on an almost-finished garment. I totally could see declining to bump shoulders with the other 'helpers', and the thing looked so crude when it walked that I doubt even Delvin's expert skills would have made any difference.

Marquise's winning look seemed like what Victoria's complicated mess was trying to be.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Jobiska said:

The FX show Pose is all about ballroom culture in the late 80s. And technically, this post ties in to PR in that Pose stars Billy Porter, who wore the KinkyBoots curtain outfit designed by the one who thinks he's already on the same level as Brandon and Christian. 😄

(It's a really good show -- you should watch it.) 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

Both Veronica herself (not in personality, but in looks) and her granny panty outfit reminded me of She Who Must Not Be Named.  

Sergio's dress would have been great, if he was dressing Scarlett O'Hara.  His Arrogance needs to go, soon.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 12/13/2019 at 5:26 AM, jacksgirl said:

Yep. Too many designers to get too involved yet. Marnie can go away now. Liked the challenge, like the positive vibe. Guy who finishes early and hides from Christian- you are gonna get yours soon. The editing monkeys always have a plan.

I certainly hope he gets his.  He was borderline first ep and officially crossed the border from confidence to arrogance in this episode.  I’m now anxiously awaiting his departure and Sergio’s.

• Love 2

It looked to me like the winning look had a problematic crotch. The half-skirt helped to hide it, but it was not good.

I was dismayed by the amount of beige, tan, and khaki used. How unimaginative! It's one of the reasons the parrot dress stood out so much.

Really, I didn't like any of them. The one I disliked least was Nancy's.

The guy with the train should have been Auf'd. The Caped Bloomer woman at least followed the directions. If he insists on not designing for anyone outside his chosen audience, he should not come on this show. He could come on a show called Project Runway For Older Women With Money.

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
On 12/14/2019 at 12:36 AM, NowVoyager said:

I know Marni isn't everybody's favorite, but I thought she had some good points. I wasn't feeling Fox Leather's design at all, but when Marni said: "Serena Williams"--- I saw the vision.... I still didn't like it, but I saw what she meant. & I like that the judges disagree.

Geoffrey's hooded poncho/caftan was a mediocre/poor look that was ruined by the styling. He had those knee high heeled black boots, the gloves with fingernails, and choker. When he was trying to figure out the shoes, he had the knee high boots he went with and a pair of combat boots. I remember saying "combat boots, combat boots, combat boots!" He didn't go with that. Someone like Marni might have helped him to style the look closer to the other stereotype about cats--IDGAF. The combat boots might have put his outfit closer to safe and made Sergio's Amish Safari Eleganza stand out as not even adhering to the challenge brief.

19 hours ago, Jobiska said:

18 hours ago, dleighg said:

Yes, he said "Ballroom scene." Now my daughter did competitive Ballroom Dancing in college. I quickly realized there is nothing in common. LOL. But here's some info if you want to delve into it.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/05/30/magazine/vogue-kiki-new-york.html

16 hours ago, SailorGirl said:

The FX show Pose is all about ballroom culture in the late 80s. And technically, this post ties in to PR in that Pose stars Billy Porter, who wore the KinkyBoots curtain outfit designed by the one who thinks he's already on the same level as Brandon and Christian. 😄

(It's a really good show -- you should watch it.) 

Paris is Burning is probably the seminal work about queer ballroom culture.

Or in Sergio's case, Intercourse is Burning. His look left them gagging.

Pose is a great show and Paris is Burning is usually on Netflix. Both deserve your eyeballs, earballs, and brain-balls.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 6