Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

57 minutes ago, nilyank said:

I guess maybe Scott should have thought of that but he runs the risk of having a hostile witness who has lied for Michael and Wylie and didn't regret it when she was fired from GH.

Scott could have tried a lot of thing, but it's a guarantee that all of it would have backfired because Nina was never meant to have visitation rights with the spawn from hell.

It occurs to me that Willow's dead baby is also Nina's grandson. My only hope is that the gross roll in the hay from last week that I was fortunate enough to FF will not result in another spawn.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Who the fuck are these people? The thing that bothers me so much with the show is the way the most characters, but especially Carly & Co are written as lacking basic human decency and empathy toward anyone who isn't them.

They're written as mean girls who "you can't sit with us" everyone not in their very limited inner circle.  And all this fucking talk about "what will Wiley think of this" is hilarious.  Is the three-year-old at home watching the livestream of the court proceedings and going to meet Willow and Michael at the front door with arms crossed stating "you have BOTH DISAPPOINTED me SO MUCH!" 

• LOL 3
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

I didn’t like her “sexy” outfit either, it actually made her look weirdly younger than she already is.  Ick. 

I had to laugh when she dramatically whipped off her big jacket before going in to see Nik, because that's usually a reveal for a ....chestier...character. Not that her body shape isn't lovely, but her petite frame just made the whole thing seem like a little girl playing a role.

These are two strong actors, but I've been FFing Esme/Nik weeks because this whole storyline makes me so uncomfortable. I'm tired of shows going with the trope that a scheming teenager = "able to emotionally handle a sexual relationship with a significantly older man." 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, CeChase said:

I haven't seen it yet, except for the short gif of the kiss on Twitter, but I can't help thinking maybe Avery wasn't that thrilled to be full on open-mouth kissing a man who is a great deal older than her, and to my mind, pretty gross looking.  Sorry, that is how I feel about him.  So I am not going to judge her on chemistry or kiss-hotness here.  I actually feel sorry for her.  And she's a really good actress.  But you know, she's still young.  I hope they gave her double time the day they filmed that. 

I don't know if she was consciously playing "not into it," but I do remember that Esme really resisted the whole thing when Ryan ordered her to seduce Nik. She seems to be genuinely into Spencer, whereas Ryan obviously considers Spencer to be a pawn she shouldn't get attached to.

• Love 6
53 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

They're written as mean girls who "you can't sit with us" everyone not in their very limited inner circle.  And all this fucking talk about "what will Wiley think of this" is hilarious.  Is the three-year-old at home watching the livestream of the court proceedings and going to meet Willow and Michael at the front door with arms crossed stating "you have BOTH DISAPPOINTED me SO MUCH!" 

either that. or it's like when he turns 16 it's like "Okay Son. here's all the tea from our history". Like. who exactly is going to tell him. "hey do you know when your dad was your age he murdered someone? AND WENT TO JAIL?!"  or "hey do you  know your parents had an affair on your dad's best friend who was married to your mum?" or go  "Oh hey YOUR the kid whose gramma kept your grandad secret for ages right?!"  (well maybe the last one since the dipsticks spilled all the tea to the paper) 

like. it's not like he needs to know ANY of this unless you planned on TELLING him all of it. everything here is a need to know basis and why does he need to know any of it. 

Nina needs to defend herself better. like i get it show, you never want anyone to win if they aren't Corinthii but everything that happened specifically today is why Nina needed to fight for her rights. I am so tired of everyone flinging the coma in her face (as if Nina chose to be in one) and because  as my mom would say "they listen to respond, not to understand." so anything in their pea brains is like if you loved Wiley you'd roll over and play dead. where Nina's only response is. "everything that happened, happened because Carly lied first.". The end.  because what normal human being after seeing this play out for two years - doesn't look at Carly's withholding Nelle's maternity, and NOT think "did She know when she asked Nina to testify for Michael?  would any of this had gone on had Carly just told the truth?

and we're supposed to be on THEIR side. how am I supposed to root for Michael and Willow to win here when there are just as wrong if not more wrong than Nina?

• Love 11
10 hours ago, Daisy said:

and we're supposed to be on THEIR side. how am I supposed to root for Michael and Willow to win here when there are just as wrong if not more wrong than Nina?

I'm tired of them throwing it in Nina's face that she was in a coma for 20 years whenever she says that things may have been different for Nelle if she had been raised by her.

Yes, Nina was in a coma for 20 years. And Madeline was a money grubbing bitch on wheels. Nina may have been in a coma because her mother put her there, but Nelle also had a father. Madeline didn't hand over the child to her father, she sold her. 

Perhaps we should start laying the blame elsewhere for this whole mess.

• Love 17

So, let me get this straight:

The SLS is angry and so is Willow, because he has to take the stand and testify in a case that HE initiated? What? Did that moron expect just Nina to put up there and be raked over the coals by Diane, while his smug ass just sat there in the chair?

And didn't Scotty get Nina to promise that he would FULLY defend her? And what does she do (based on what I've read here)? She stops him from cross-examining Willow? Who's the fucking lawyer here? Scotty should just refuse to help Nina on anything after this, because she's just someone who caves in and won't let her attorney represent her zealously.

Of course I've got these episode saved in my queue, but haven't had the energy to watch.

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

a case that HE initiated

Didn't Nina initiate the custody case?

Yeah, Michael didn't initiate the case.  Still hilarious that he thinks it's a one-sided thing, where he's allowed to attack Nina by land, sea, and air, and he shouldn't have to answer any questions.  Entitled prick, he is.

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

She stops him from cross-examining Willow? Who's the fucking lawyer here? Scotty should just refuse to help Nina on anything after this, because she's just someone who caves in and won't let her attorney represent her zealously.

Scott wants it both ways, though.  He attacked Michael, which he wanted to do, then got pissy with Nina that the judge was going to "throw the book at him."

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Didn't Nina initiate the custody case? The dolts wouldn't budge on their refusal to let her see the idiot kid, so she took them to court.

Ohhh, right. But still. He's still a moron, and so is Willow, if they thought that they didn't have to take the stand and testify.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Didn't Nina initiate the custody case? The dolts wouldn't budge on their refusal to let her see the idiot kid, so she took them to court.

yeah, i get what was meant, like it was only initiated because of that. had they compromised, or you know, given Nina assurances they weren't going to turn the spawn against her, she would have (she's done up to that point) agreed and backed off. 

1 hour ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Scott wants it both ways, though.  He attacked Michael, which he wanted to do, then got pissy with Nina that the judge was going to "throw the book at him."

yeah  that was really poorly written. I didn't get why he'd be pissy. Nina didn't ask him to showboat, and bring up Claudia and the like. if anything I would be upset (at Scott) for not bringing up Monica. and A.J. and focus on how Carly lied to keep her away from the spawn period vs. bringing up Claudia and everything like that. 

53 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Ohhh, right. But still. He's still a moron, and so is Willow, if they thought that they didn't have to take the stand and testify.

Well they are dipsticks afterall. like Sonny flat out said he didn't want to look for his family and Nina respected that- and Willow's whole rant was "SHE DESTROYED FAMILIES!" (but we'll ignore how Willow trashed Chase in her marriage and hurt Violet and everyone).

• Love 1
(edited)

I found the Nik/Esme scenes kind of squicky but I guess I’m in the minority because I’ve always thought Nava sucked and MC was a terrible actor so if this finally breaks them up and gets Ava away from him, I’m all for it. He mostly stands around with the same expression on his face and disappears in scenes. 

Edited by ffwbe
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I found the Nik/Esme scenes kind of squicky but I guess I’m in the minority because I’ve always thought Nava sucked and MC was a terrible actor so if this finally breaks them up and gets Ava away from him, I’m all for it. He mostly stands around with the same expression on his face and disappears in scenes. 

it's really evident because it's really evident now. You have Val's actor who is great, CS who is great, NC who had like a shaky day and now is awesome, AP who is great, Genie who is Genie, and MW who is fantastic and MC is like one of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, ciarra said:

I think they have enough taped that they should have cut Laura and Ava at the gun range.  It was insensitive.

Was it ever explained why they were even there?  That was so random, they should have just gone to that axe throwing place.

• Love 2

Unless the next major umbrella storyline involves zombies, I don't get why they're showing axe throwing or gun ranges. What's wrong with soap staples like coffee houses, clubs, beauty salons, and restaurants? At least there's a chance someone will drop by and stir shit up with those. They're soap staples for a reason.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:
5 minutes ago, ciarra said:

I think they have enough taped that they should have cut Laura and Ava at the gun range.  It was insensitive.

Was it ever explained why they were even there?  That was so random, they should have just gone to that axe throwing place.

I thought it was very weird too. I get it, some people find going to a gun range a legit activity (and it is totally legal , I know) but can't Laura and Ava (both people who have killed other people, I can't remember if it was by shooting) bond over something else.

• Love 5
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Blackie said:
  Reveal spoiler

fill in Michael !!! 

What does that mean?  Add more info to this.

Forget it.  After I read the next post I figured out what you meant.  I shouldn't have read this before it comes on in my time zone.

Edited by dbklmt
Edited to add additional thoughts
1 hour ago, ffwbe said:

I agree with you.

• Love 1
(edited)

Not only does Nina not get visitation but the judge slapped Scott's hand for bringing up when Michael killed someone. So Michael/Willow can say whatever they want about Nina on the stand and do a full-court antagonism against her in the press but Nina daring to do the same to them is so awful. Make it make sense, show. Everything is slanted toward the Corinthii, always.

Nina isn't asking for custody, she just wants to see him. SMH at this point I want Sonny to get Wiley somehow and bring him to Nina just because.

Not one of Wiley's Adults deserve him. Can we retroactively keep him with Lucas?

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 16

I wonder if they are doing a storyline with Britt and her drinking, because she gets drunk like at every social event. also why is there a single event w/a charity event at the same time?

Oohh Temp Michael. This one looks kinda like AJ (both of them LOL). Can we keep him?

CLQ is going to take out Link. whatever. 

And Nina lost. so what was the point of all of this? Just to kick Nina down?  Whatever. So Nina lost because Scott rightly brought up that Michael also had crimes against him? Whatever.  This is basically just another set up to have her beg these people. And there it was. I am so tired of this crap. 

Willow. it wasn't a lie about what Scott said about Michael. Shut up, you dipstick.

"I so love it when the good guys win." SHUT UP DIANNE. 

Oh Nik. you stupid idiot. Oh wow. they done had the sex.  Leave him, Ava. (also that was a groudy love scene. I don't really care about the age differences, because if it works, but it doesn't work here. it was just groudy). and lol the insta "we just had sheets in a room that doesn't have sheets" after sex.  

Oh Drew shut up

So Carly now knows. Stood there and let Willow go off on her. let's see how fast she tells the truth.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, Daisy said:

And Nina lost. so what was the point of all of this? Just to kick Nina down?  Whatever. So Nina lost because Scott rightly brought up that Michael also had crimes against him? Whatever.  This is basically just another set up to have her beg these people. And there it was. I am so tired of this crap. 

What was the point of this entire storyline, indeed, if they weren't ever going to have Nina or anyone else acknowledge that everything Nina is going through, she and Valentin did the exact same thing to Lulu?

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Daisy said:

And Nina lost. so what was the point of all of this? Just to kick Nina down?

I swear there's some edict that a Corinthii has to smugly be proclaimed the winner of something at least once a month.  Disgusting.

Can't wait for Willow's maternity truth to come out so she can first wail at having to have shared a womb with Nelle then decide nature means nothing.  That is, until she needs blood/bone marrow/a liver and then it'll be how dare Nina not have banked all that ahead of time just in case.  Pre-emptively, fuck off Willow.

• Love 13

Of course Michael wouldn't lose. What I'd like to see ( which won't happen) is for the truth to come out and for Nina to reject Willow.

Let Britt and Liesl reject her too. 

Even better would be for Willow to turn on Carly for keeping quiet about the truth while Willow destroyed any chance at a relationship with her birth mother. 

I'd also like a pony. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Wow didn't think they would go through with the Nik/Esme Eiky stuffy. The actor that plays Esme went all in for sure, she didn't seem uncomfortable. Maybe she got tips from GF, she was quite young when Laura was with Luke (and others before him? I didn't watch then).

So Britt is going to get a Jax 2.0?

What was the theme for the fundraiser, why were all the women wearing weird flouncy dresses ? I didn't like any except for Terry. And then Maxie came clomping into a pool party with boots on ???

I thought the pool was indoor before?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Blackie said:

Retractable roof? 

That would be pretty expensive, though. Most hotels I've seen either have an indoor or outdoor pool, but since money is not an issue in PC (and apparently there are no supply chain problems) I can believe the idea to have covered/uncovered pool available all year round as a money maker would be approved.

I am trying to control my hate for Carly because it is spoiling the show for me but it's not working.

Of course Michael and Willow win and Nina is begging.  Of course Carly is going to hide that Nina is Willow's mother. This show isn't even trying to make it fair. Or interesting

I hate Willow. She's awful. Truly awful.

Drew: "Michael doesn't deserve that."  Wrong, Michael deserves everything bad that can happen to him because that's what he wants for other people. And you have become a stupid, terrible person Drew from hanging out with Calry.

KT really does does a good drunk. But that whole party was a waste of time other than to set up Britt's now love interest who we will probably barely see unless he goes mobby. Worse, they talked about Michael. There is no respite from him.

I wish that Spencer had walked in on Nik and Esme. That would have been good storytelling since Nik was all about connecting with Spencer. We all know what Ava will do, but what would Spencer alone do? And would he feel that he owes Ava anything for bringing Esme in who broke up her marriage?

I know that they write and shoot the episodes weeks ahead but all this shooting practice leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

3 minutes ago, Blackie said:

It was. But that's so 2021.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
(edited)

Nikolas: I can't believe we did this. This is WRONG!

Also Nikolas goes in for more because he is Nikolas. Thinks about hurting his son, doesn't spare a thought for his wife. Helena must be spinning in her grave. And I mean a high velocity spin. 

The reasonable Newman as a Michael recast. I'll take it. I'll take him as a forever recast. Five minutes and showed up CD. Used none of the CD acting gimmick and was more effective in his delivery. But he needs to do something about his eyebrows. And CM too. He is headed into bushy grandpa eyebrow territory.

Britt's good guys are either taken or dead . . . again, Jason lied, threatened, beat, and murdered people for a living. Please get over him already. Know your worth and Jason wasn't worthy of any of the women who pined after him. Maybe Carly, but that's because she's trash.

Was there a summer dress sale at Old Navy? This is the conclusion I'm coming to.

Yes, Scotty totally sabotaged Nina. He could have put Carly on the stand and gone through her laundry list of crimes. He could asked her her thoughts on Harmony who tried to murder her and had access to Wylie. There's a number of things he could have done, but Diane cackling like a hyena about how they won and how happy she is that the good guys won was beyond the pale. Seriously, she defends mobsters for a living. And wins. And cackles. Michael and Willow are not the good guys, especially Michael. That simpering toad is a giant man baby and the biggest asshole.

Drew about how Michael would never use ELQ. Wake up and smell the betrayal, dummy. There's believing in someone and being a positive person, then there's Drew Cain. Two years in captivity turns you in a naive putz apparently. 

29 minutes ago, Daisy said:

And Nina lost. so what was the point of all of this? Just to kick Nina down?

It's partly that and partly to make Willow hate/resent her even more than she already does. Because you know, they're not confirmed mother/daughter. 

The only mother/daughter duo allowed to agree and love each other to the moon and back and hold each other up are Carly and Joss. Anyone else is just competition for the chosen ones and cannot therefore be allowed.

ETA: As much as I enjoy Anna and Valentin together, I'm really not into the whole shooting guns as a form foreplay. 

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10
21 minutes ago, Blackie said:

It changes depending on the storyline.  Today it needed to be a rooftop pool, so the idiot parachuter could come charging in.  

Not a fan of the shooting range set. Never have been, and after what happened last week in the US I very definitely never will be.

HUGE fan of the temporary Michael. He doesn't come across as arrogant and contemptuous as regular guy. Can we keep him? Pretty please?

Uh, what exactly did Scotty say about Michael that was a lie? Because I thought everything he said was true.

I guess we'll be seeing Ryan soon, now that Esme has followed his orders and got between Nikolas and Ava. I did not need to see them undressing each other and grabbing each other. Ugh.

• Love 9
(edited)

The staging of his entrance was so janky - poor Kelly Thiebaud having to flap around while they waved some fabric in front of the camera - but I did not hate that first charged look between Britt and whoever Josh Kelly (!) is.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, ciarra said:

What's insensitive is having the Corinthos crime family scarfing down most minutes on this soap opera called General Hospital.  The only reason that these vile thugs are at the top of the food chain is because of violence and guns.  TPTB reward criminal behavior - that includes guns.   Laura was recently SHOT because of Sonny/Sons of Anarchy guy mob wars - Glad to see her taking her own security into her own hands. Julian is gone - Selena Wu is on the prowl - and Ava just needs to maintain a certain skill level.  I don't care about guns - you do you BUT this soap opera has featured a violent criminal family that is all about guns and perceived strength therefrom. 

• Love 11
31 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

What was the point of this entire storyline, indeed, if they weren't ever going to have Nina or anyone else acknowledge that everything Nina is going through, she and Valentin did the exact same thing to Lulu?

I don't understand this reference. 

Scott being Nina's lawyer wasn't ever going to help her case, even knowing she would lose to the Corinthii. He's terrible.

Drew, put all of that energy you use on other people to better use: Get a job that doesn't involve Michael as your cohort.

2 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

they waved some fabric in front of the camera

Couldn't they have rigged some line for him to slide down? The crash landing was so badly done.

• Love 3
(edited)

I will say, if they had to do this Nikolas/Esme thing, I'm glad they didn't do a straight redux of what happened with Sonny and Nelle and had Esme drug him or whatever.  It's gross, but at least Nik was acting (grossly) on his own impulses.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 10
(edited)
6 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Can Britt stop being pathetic now over a one night stand from over a year ago?

It was with Jason, so I'd say no. This show.

Carly has been pathetic for decades.

Edited by statsgirl
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I'm tired of them throwing it in Nina's face that she was in a coma for 20 years whenever she says that things may have been different for Nelle if she had been raised by her.

Yeah I don’t know why Diane didn’t get reprimanded for that while Scott got ripped a new one for mentioning the Claudia business.  I mean of course I know why, but it doesn’t make any sense.

51 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Was there a summer dress sale at Old Navy? This is the conclusion I'm coming to.

LMAO.  It was kind of like a flower garden exploded but I liked it.  Everyone looked bright and cheery, as long as you didn’t look at their feet (looking at you Sam and Maxie).  I’m glad they brought the pool set back.  And Britt was HILARIOUS.  I was legit laughing out loud at her “dancing”, if that what she was trying to do. I think Spinelli created the dating app and that’s why he’s at all these events?  Whatever, I don’t care, but it’s preferable to him being a mob virtual henchman.

When Valentin asked Ava if she was thinking of upgrading to Mistah Sheffield I was Iike that would definitely be an upgrade indeed.  I was a Nava fan but Nikolas has destroyed that as he does most things. 

Not a fan of the shooting range set.  Not only is it a little much with what’s happening in the world, it’s just a pretty boring set.  I guess it’s cheap?

Oh yeah I forgot to mention TempMichael….not exactly an Oscar winning performance but WAY above anything Chad has done recently.

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Love 7

Personally, I feel like Britt's meltdown is a culmination of a bunch of things, not just dead Jason D - the Huntington's, Spencer's recent spitting on their relationship, whatever the secret is she's keeping about her time on the run with Faison.  I wish the show was making that clearer.

• Love 15

I don't know where PC gets their judges from, but I doubt it is from a legitimate law school. I didn't see where Michael and Willow "proved" that allowing Nina to visit Wiley would be detrimental to him, at least to the degree that her petition was denied. You'd think supervised visits would be reasonable.

Nik and Esme - oh nooooo. Is Nik that desperate that he's lost his moral compass. Bad enough cheating on your wife with a teenager (!), but she's at least recently been your son's girlfriend! Didn't he have ANY second thoughts? He's the adult there. At the very least, it proves that Nik has no skills that match a teenage sociopath.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

Yeah I don’t know why Diane didn’t get reprimanded for that while Scott got ripped a new one for mentioning the Claudia business.  I mean of course I know why, but it doesn’t make any sense.

Every time something goes to court in Port Charles the side that isn't supposed to win gets reprimanded in court for bringing up legitimate points that made the chosen side look bad. Diane got reprimanded when she represented Lulu in Charlotte's custody case and dared to bring up how Valentin fertilized the embryo without Lulu's consent and kidnapped Charlotte. Nelle was portrayed as a monster for insta-marrying Julian to help in her custody battle for Wiley when Michael/Willow were paraded around as virtuous for doing the exact same thing. And the list goes on and on.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

The pool was always supposed to be outdoor, because last summer they were constantly talking about sunscreen and catching rays. But it always feels like a totally indoor pool because of the lighting.

Drew is in perfect position to get caught up on the lab results and tell Carly to do the right thing, but will that move at a reasonable rate? No! Our only glimmer of hope from today was Willow getting the vapors a little bit, to keep hinting at the coming health crisis.

I was hoping well past a reasonable amount of scenes that the MeToo sex was going to be someone's daydream. I don't think they'll get caught this time, though. I feel like the previews give it away that Ava wasn't "catching them in the act" upset, just the usual amount of Ava spouting off, so I am not hopeful. 

• Love 1