Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Talk about Season 6 here!

Episode 1:

"Pops the Question"

Summer was a season of change for the Johnsons. The twins are headed into eighth grade, and Junior is out on his own managing social media for Migos. Meanwhile, Pops reveals that he is getting married.

Season 6 premieres September 24, 2019!

I'm geeked out about the October 8th episode of Black-ish.   Apparently it's a Girlfriends reunion.    I assume they may be playing different characters but cool to see the cast back though hopefully Big Willie makes an appearance too.

• Love 8

Diane has "murder" kit, lol.

Looks like Jack caught up to Diane's height. And his voice is so deep now!

Hope Loretta Devine is around for a while; she's great. But yeah, something is off about Pops. He has to be working some kind of scheme with the judge.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I totally did NOT get the ending with Jack/Diane and her nightmares, until I saw the end text, "in honor of..." Had to Google, but it looks like one of the producers had two children die together in a carcrash by a drunk driver. My only guess is that the end scene with Jack/diane was about them? It REALLY didn't fit in with any of the rest of the episode, and was a very weird place to end though. I suppose it was nice for the writers to put a memorium of some sort into the show though. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Loretta Devine is awesome, I hope that she sticks around. I dont fully trust Pops change though, I dont think he is working a scam, but I think he might fall back into bad habits. 

Jack has grown up so much, and his voice is so deep! Looks like the twins survived the living hell that is 7th grade. 

"A judge, in our home?!"

• Love 6
2 hours ago, ctmd said:

I totally did NOT get the ending with Jack/Diane and her nightmares, until I saw the end text, "in honor of..." Had to Google, but it looks like one of the producers had two children die together in a carcrash by a drunk driver. My only guess is that the end scene with Jack/diane was about them? It REALLY didn't fit in with any of the rest of the episode, and was a very weird place to end though. I suppose it was nice for the writers to put a memorium of some sort into the show though. 

Oh my god, that's horrible. My DVR cut out before the in memoriam came up so I *really* didn't understand what the coda was about. Thank you for the information.

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Loretta Devine is awesome, I hope that she sticks around.

I fricking love Loretta Devine and I was delighted when she turned up as Pops's love interest. I'm not 100% sold on Pops changing either but who knows. I just re-watched the episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where Debra's newly-single father turned up with an older ladyfriend instead of the young hussy they were all expecting so maybe I'm just not buying this storyline yet because it's not as "unexpected" as they maybe wanted it to be. I'd like it if it turns out he is playing a long con and Loretta's character finds out and knocks him on his ass. 😊

• Love 6

I thought the ending with Jack and Diane was odd and not keeping with the tone of the rest of the episode. I did see the “in memory of” at the end but Diane was talking about chaos and it seemed strange. I like Loretta Devine too and hope Pops isn’t up to something.

• Love 3

The line that made the entire ep for me was when they were trying to figure out who Pops was engaged to and Diane said, 

"I bet it's one of those twins Zoey hangs out with."

The Junior storyline being over already is corny.

Edited by nasir jones
ETA:
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, ctmd said:

Oh wow, that is sad. I had it on the background so I missed that and I was also confused by that ending. I thought I'd missed the punchline with Pops and the judge. 

• Love 1

S6.E2: Every Day I'm Struggling

When Rainbow and Dre realize Junior's been taking them for granted, they decide it's time to band together and cut him off for good. Meanwhile, Jack discovers he has a very lucrative talent, only Ruby wants to use it for all the wrong reasons.

Original air date: 10/1/19

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

S6.E2: Every Day I'm Struggling

When Rainbow and Dre realize Junior's been taking them for granted, they decide it's time to band together and cut him off for good. Meanwhile, Jack discovers he has a very lucrative talent, only Ruby wants to use it for all the wrong reasons.

Original air date: 10/1/19

Thanks for posting, that's very helpful when there's one thread for multiple episodes. 

On a related note, is it significant that Black-ish now has one thread per season, while its brand new spinoff apparently has one thread per episode?  Looks like the same thing happened for Goldbergs/Schooled.

This show cracks me up but Junior really bugs me. I almost wish he was off the show sometimes.

The end confused me too but I thought it was cute. So sad that a producers kids died tho.

Also omg girlfriends reunion basically! I loved that show back in the day! 

On 9/25/2019 at 1:05 PM, ctmd said:

Thank you for the explanation.  I came here specifically to see if there was any comments about this because I couldn't figure out where in the heck it came from.  How heartbreaking.

It feels like it's been an endless cycle with Junior and trying to push him out of the nest/not let him struggle for the past two seasons. Him and Bow's "come to Jesus" meeting didn't have much weight to it when it felt like the third time through.

• Love 7

Junior's mistake (well, aside from not telling his parents that he lost his job) was coming to loot the house while everyone was home. That makes it pretty obvious who the culprit is. Listen, kid, you don't have a job so just come in the middle of the day when everyone else is at work/school!

When I was a broke college student, the most I did was bring laundry home during Christmas (and that's mostly because our break was almost a month long). I was not raiding the kitchen or stealing supplies.

On the one hand, no, it's not Junior's fault that he lost a sweet job. But I would guess that he hasn't bothered applying for lower level jobs so that he is at least bringing in some money while he figures out what to do next. There's no shame in working retail or whatever job you can find if it pays your bills (including rent and NUMEROUS parking tickets).

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

When I was a broke college student, the most I did was bring laundry home during Christmas (and that's mostly because our break was almost a month long). I was not raiding the kitchen or stealing supplies.

On the one hand, no, it's not Junior's fault that he lost a sweet job. But I would guess that he hasn't bothered applying for lower level jobs so that he is at least bringing in some money while he figures out what to do next. There's no shame in working retail or whatever job you can find if it pays your bills (including rent and NUMEROUS parking tickets).

The problem with Dre and Bow's kids, they would find retail work or any lower level job beneath them. $50 rent isn't enough. Junior should be paying at least $200.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Junior's mistake (well, aside from not telling his parents that he lost his job) was coming to loot the house while everyone was home. That makes it pretty obvious who the culprit is. Listen, kid, you don't have a job so just come in the middle of the day when everyone else is at work/school!

Agreed, and also you don't take EVERYTHING. I used to ASK my parents if I could take stuff back with me (usually spices - building a spice catalog from scratch is expensive) when I was in college and in my first job.

5 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

The problem with Dre and Bow's kids, they would find retail work or any lower level job beneath them. $50 rent isn't enough. Junior should be paying at least $200.

I heard a financial advisor say that adult kids living at home should pay 25% of their income in rent, and I like that. It's still lower than most people will pay in this day and age (IMO there's no point in living with family and paying market value rent - if you're going to pay market value, you might as well pay it in your own place even if it's with roommates), but it gets them in the habit of actually paying something. $50 is not paying rent. $50 is not paying for groceries.

There was a whole plot on grown-ish in which Zoe was cut off (really, her parents just stopped giving her spending money - they were still paying room and board and tuition and for books) and one of her friends offered to get her a job at the bookstore where he worked, and the FIRST thing out of Zoe's mouth was "Ew." The friend called her on it and she ended up working there, but still - those kids DO seem to see the kids of jobs kids their age do as beneath them, which I think does them a great disservice.

I have a lot of thoughts about the gig economy and they're mostly negative, but Junior has a car. Why can't he be an Uber driver? DoorDash delivery person? Bow and Dre need to require Junior to work if he's going to live there - or really, they should say "The rent is $300 a month" or whatever, which will force him to earn at least that. Having him sit around doing nothing should not be an option.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

Agreed, and also you don't take EVERYTHING. I used to ASK my parents if I could take stuff back with me (usually spices - building a spice catalog from scratch is expensive) when I was in college and in my first job.

I heard a financial advisor say that adult kids living at home should pay 25% of their income in rent, and I like that. It's still lower than most people will pay in this day and age (IMO there's no point in living with family and paying market value rent - if you're going to pay market value, you might as well pay it in your own place even if it's with roommates), but it gets them in the habit of actually paying something. $50 is not paying rent. $50 is not paying for groceries.

There was a whole plot on grown-ish in which Zoe was cut off (really, her parents just stopped giving her spending money - they were still paying room and board and tuition and for books) and one of her friends offered to get her a job at the bookstore where he worked, and the FIRST thing out of Zoe's mouth was "Ew." The friend called her on it and she ended up working there, but still - those kids DO seem to see the kids of jobs kids their age do as beneath them, which I think does them a great disservice.

I have a lot of thoughts about the gig economy and they're mostly negative, but Junior has a car. Why can't he be an Uber driver? DoorDash delivery person? Bow and Dre need to require Junior to work if he's going to live there - or really, they should say "The rent is $300 a month" or whatever, which will force him to earn at least that. Having him sit around doing nothing should not be an option.

Agreed and I  disagree with Dre guilting Bow and Bow saying Junior can stay there until he figures something out. Besides paying rent now, thats what he did all last season. He needs to be working, paying more than $50 rent and doing chores around the house: cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping to make up for lying and stealing from them. 

• Love 4

This whole plot with Junior flailing about trying to figure out his life just keeps going on and on, I am so over it. I know that its probably realistic, especially for a kid who has been rather financially spoiled by his parents, but its just the same story beats over and over. Bow and Dre are horrified by Junior not wanting to go to college and think he is wasting his life, Junior lies about his plans, Bow and Dre say that they understand, rinse and repeat. 

2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

There was a whole plot on grown-ish in which Zoe was cut off (really, her parents just stopped giving her spending money - they were still paying room and board and tuition and for books) and one of her friends offered to get her a job at the bookstore where he worked, and the FIRST thing out of Zoe's mouth was "Ew."

I thought of the same grown-ish plot with Junior, its like all of the kids are convinced that they have to immediately land the most perfect most awesome job ever on the first try, and that anything less is beneath them. Np paying their dues or just working for a paycheck or to build up experience, its the high paying dream job or nothing! I kind of get it, considering how much weird pressure Bow and Dre put on them, but its not a good look. 

Besides, isnt laying around the house doing nothing literally all Junior did in his supposed "gap year"? Is he even applying for things? And stealing all of his families stuff? Rookie mistake kid, you take the toilet paper and stuff that wont be missed! Maybe thats something you learn in college.

• Love 11

I’m so sick of Junior. Was I supposed to feel bad for him? Cause I don’t he’s an idiot and he’s not even trying. I don’t know what he’s even supposed to be trying to do tho. He had one sweet job and just expects another sweet one to come along. It’s not like he’s this special talent or something. I’m over him.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I had to wonder how Junior had a car.  For most kids in that situation, it would be mom & dad's car, and they (m&d) would probably still be paying insurance/taxes/maybe car payments, but if that were the case, you'd think that would have been one of the things they were on his case about.  Or did he buy it when he had the good job, and I just missed it or forgot?

• Love 1

Perhaps Junior should figure out all the hours he spent taking care of Devante (whom they conveniently left out of this episode-perhaps he's in full daycare) when he was still in HS or working at Dre's office (remember, he lost his girlfriend over this), multiply by 80% (since it's reasonable for older siblings to do some unpaid babysitting), then multiply by $20 per hour, and use that as a credit against his rent.  There seemed to be entire episodes when he was the only one caring for the baby.

I do not want to see him becoming a full time paid nanny for his brother, but if he wants to do it for someone else's kid, he seems to have a talent.

• Love 9
17 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I had to wonder how Junior had a car.  For most kids in that situation, it would be mom & dad's car, and they (m&d) would probably still be paying insurance/taxes/maybe car payments, but if that were the case, you'd think that would have been one of the things they were on his case about.  Or did he buy it when he had the good job, and I just missed it or forgot?

I assumed Bow and Dre bought it for him. I remember on grown-ish, when they cut Zoe off they had her car repossessed, so I assume it's in their names. Probably the same with Junior.

Edited by Empress1
On 10/2/2019 at 3:12 PM, Marley said:

I’m so sick of Junior. Was I supposed to feel bad for him? Cause I don’t he’s an idiot and he’s not even trying. I don’t know what he’s even supposed to be trying to do tho. He had one sweet job and just expects another sweet one to come along. It’s not like he’s this special talent or something. I’m over him.

Right it's just the same plot from last year. Plus, Junior still... Does... not... get it! He has had his chance to find himself, build up on experience and rep and yet it's: "Oh, I need to have one big break and I'm set for life!" Oh... didn't you say that last year and why you were telling your siblings how: "I'll never have to go back to college again!" or how he told his family: "I've decided, not to go back to school and work." Yes, college isn't for everyone and so forth, but seriously dumb ass! Don't you get it! outside being a live in babysitter for the plot device that is your baby brother. YOU DON'T DO ANYTHING! Yet, expect to get some high paying job because you can't out talk people? Yeah, Dre and Bow are partially to blame, but damn... Junior has  no concept at all. 

• Love 10

Episode 3:

"Feminisn't"

When Bow learns that Diane and Ruby don’t believe in feminism, she brings Diane to meet the women in her feminist group. Bow’s friend Abby thinks the group needs to be more inclusive, so Bow invites three of her girlfriends to join. Meanwhile, Junior and Jack help Dre after he realizes he is out of touch with modern-day feminism.

Airs October 8, 2019.

On 10/2/2019 at 10:33 AM, tennisgurl said:

This whole plot with Junior flailing about trying to figure out his life just keeps going on and on, I am so over it. I know that its probably realistic, especially for a kid who has been rather financially spoiled by his parents, but its just the same story beats over and over. Bow and Dre are horrified by Junior not wanting to go to college and think he is wasting his life, Junior lies about his plans, Bow and Dre say that they understand, rinse and repeat. ge.

That's the thing, Junior has been "lying" about his plans. He has NO PLANS. He just keeps expecting to fall into something perfectly, same with Zoey. God forbid they work for it or realize that having high paying jobs has a dark side. Yet, they call Dre a sell out for how he gets treated and does stuff for his company. Yet, he and Bow have said many times and shown many times how hard they have had to work for it. Even if they someone help them get into a good school or job. They still work their asses off for it and still get treated like shit. Yet, both Junior and Zoey are: "Well, someone will see how awesome I am and hand it to me." No your idiots, aren't you getting that?

• Love 8

I liked this episode; I appreciate Black’ish tackling these topics. I’m a proud feminist & this is definitely a critical issue for feminism! Jack continues to be my favorite.

AND  GIRLFRIENDS!!!

Edited by DrSparkles
  • Love 13

It was so cool to see the Girlfriends! And William! (He has not aged well.)

This whole "all women = white women" thing is very real and has been since feminism's inception. The fight for women to work outside the home was not Black women's fight; we've been working outside of the home since we were brought here (that was the whole point!). I've had similar conversations that Bow had with white women who call themselves allies, but expect women of color to take up THEIR issues and don't return the favor. We don't have all the same struggles.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18

This was a worthwhile topic but unfortunately, as has been Black-ish's wont for a while: they had to overwrite and simplify it by writing the other characters as cartoonishly ignorant to make it work. This show once did subtlety and nuance really well and I miss it.

• Love 8

"Do you have some...Girlfriends?!" Oh yeah I see what you did there show. I see what you did! That was fun to see the old crew back again, and bringing them back for this episode was a good idea. Ladies having each others backs!

The issues with feminism and how white feminists sometimes dont really want to hear about the intersection of race and gender is very real, and its something I always try to remember while trying to help with gender issues! Also, only six donuts for a whole function? For real?! I especially cracked up at the one lady and her "This is the worst ever time for women in America ever!!!" and Bow being like "You know that slavery was a thing, right?" That was so on point, I swear I've heard that exact conversation.

Dre telling the waitress to smile seemed to be pretty bad even for Dre (Chad we got a code blue) but I did like the jump roping, and how Junior finally got through to him, relating his own frustrations as a black man. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 13
6 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I especially cracked up at the one lady and her "This is the worst ever time for women in America ever!!!" and Bow being like "You know that slavery was a thing, right?" That was so on point, I swear I've heard that exact conversation.

I once pointed out to someone, in a conversation about The Handmaid's Tale, that America was Gilead for Black women for centuries. She was gobsmacked.

• Love 15

Diane continues to irk me and she hasn't gotten better as she's grown. And I FUCKING WISH the FUCKING WORD "CANCELLED" would get FUCKING CANCELLED.

My favorite part was when Bow opened the door, with her hair pulled back--to her "Girlfriends!" and then the slow-mo with all of them, with Bow's hair all curly, just like from the original show!

• LOL 2
  • Love 10

This Junior is my favorite kind of Junior. 

I didn't mind the depiction of white feminism.  Part of me felt defensive but part of me also knows this exists and can creep out even when people are trying their best--like Bow's friend.  But what I didn't buy is that one woman describing what is happening now as the worst thing that has ever happened to women in this country.  I could buy that she wouldn't even have slavery on her mind but it's not even the worst of times for white women in this country's history.  I also feel the fact that not mentioning intersectionality was a miss.  You just know one of those white women has a "I know it all" Diane equivalent who would've thrown that out there at her mom.

I didn't like Zoe's dig at Bow's activism as "hashtag" activism because Bow being out there protesting and meeting with elected officials and working to get people elected isn't #activism.  It's activism period.  She walks her hashtag talk.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 18
On 10/6/2019 at 9:10 AM, readster said:

That's the thing, Junior has been "lying" about his plans. He has NO PLANS. He just keeps expecting to fall into something perfectly, same with Zoey. God forbid they work for it or realize that having high paying jobs has a dark side. Yet, they call Dre a sell out for how he gets treated and does stuff for his company. Yet, he and Bow have said many times and shown many times how hard they have had to work for it. Even if they someone help them get into a good school or job. They still work their asses off for it and still get treated like shit. Yet, both Junior and Zoey are: "Well, someone will see how awesome I am and hand it to me." No your idiots, aren't you getting that?

THIS! I have a nephew with this same mentality. Thinks that the perfect job/house/car is going to fall out of the sky because he is so charming and awesome. I love my nephew but he has A LOT to learn.

I actually never watched Girlfriends - the horror I know - but I appreciate how the ladies were used in the episode.

Loved the double-dutch scenes!

Yeah Diane I was with you on the whole 'six doughnuts for a group function' outrage. Seriously!!!

11 hours ago, Empress1 said:

This whole "all women = white women" thing is very real and has been since feminism's inception. The fight for women to work outside the home was not Black women's fight; we've been working outside of the home since we were brought here (that was the whole point!). I've had similar conversations that Bow had with white women who call themselves allies, but expect women of color to take up THEIR issues and don't return the favor. We don't have all the same struggles.

I had this exact same conversation with someone not too long ago. This episode also made me think about the MeToo movement.

I totally cracked up at the definition of 'Clean Up' that was on the break room wall. I've worked at places that had signs posted in the break room reminding people that there were no maids or mothers coming to clean up after them.

• Love 6

Dre has read a book written by a woman. Yay. I'm impressed he's read a book at all. 😒

Though this episode was about intersectionality I don't recall hearing the actual word used. Was it?

I won't mention the name but a certain well-known radio talk show host waged a very successful campaign to poison the word "feminist." That was when I first noticed young women balking at applying the word to themselves--especially entertainers who were in the public eye. I'm not sure the word will ever fully be reclaimed, despite efforts by male allies to take on misogyny.

On a lighter note Ruby was right about fat Luther Vandross versus skinny Luther Vandross. To a lot of his fans his voice just didn't seem to be of the same quality after he lost so much weight.

• Love 3

I loved the line about (paraphrase) “then we’ll have to hear about how the Irish were once slaves.”  I’ve seen that come up twice in the past month and have been astounded. The first time I was “WTF?” The second time “oh, we’re actually trying this now?”

As a white feminist I have to say that the “this is the worst thing to have happened to women” line did not shock me, or doubt the realism.

• Love 5
On 10/9/2019 at 10:37 AM, gesundheit said:

This was a worthwhile topic but unfortunately, as has been Black-ish's wont for a while: they had to overwrite and simplify it by writing the other characters as cartoonishly ignorant to make it work. This show once did subtlety and nuance really well and I miss it.

Agreed. The bit about Dre in the restaurant was especially cringe-worthy, it was so hamfisted. Like covering a topic that's old news as if it's brand new information.

• Love 2
On 10/9/2019 at 9:35 AM, Empress1 said:

It was so cool to see the Girlfriends! And William! (He has not aged well.)

Reggie Hayes went through some things in life since Girlfriends ended.    So I'm glad he was able to make an appearance.    I mostly was watching this episode for the Girlfriends references.... loved Toni's comment on how she's glad Ruby isn't her mother (when of course Ruby was Toni's Mom on Girlfriends), and then Maya referencing the divorce plotline that happened on the old series, and of course all four of them slo-mo posing like in the Girlfriends credits.    It was great seeing them all together again and I hope they occasionally return.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Meedis said:

Reggie Hayes went through some things in life since Girlfriends ended.    So I'm glad he was able to make an appearance.    I mostly was watching this episode for the Girlfriends references.... loved Toni's comment on how she's glad Ruby isn't her mother (when of course Ruby was Toni's Mom on Girlfriends), and then Maya referencing the divorce plotline that happened on the old series, and of course all four of them slo-mo posing like in the Girlfriends credits.    It was great seeing them all together again and I hope they occasionally return.

I didn't know that about Reggie. Thanks!

I think the bolded was my favorite meta moment. I loved Jenifer Lewis as Veretta.

• Love 4

Episode 4:

"When I Grow Up (to Be a Man)"

Jack gets cut from the basketball team and it leads to a family discussion about him being short for his age. Dre is worried for his future, but Bow feels strongly that Jack will overcome his adversity and be stronger for it.

Airs October 15, 2019.