Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

19 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

So did Junior get the new job?

Didn't we recently have an episode where Dre realized he hadn't bonded with either twin? Also, the kids were not wearing their uniforms when they vcd were dropped off at school (unless that rule has changed.) 

It takes a bit of suspension of disbelief that Jack was willing to spend all day with Bow running Junior's errands. I guess it was meant to show the contrast with Diane ignoring Dre, but it wasn't called out and although Jack certainly loves Bow, it doesn't really seem like something he would willingly do without a tangible reward.

Dies Junior have a special Chore Bore (sic) phone that Bow took (and which wasn't locked) or did he go without his phone all day? Couldn't he have forwarded/shared his schedule with Bow? That took me out of it.

Finally,  with the way the Johnson family must spend money on sneakers, hair styles, cars, designer clothes, etc, I can't believe that Diane would care about returning a shirt to a mall store. There's no way she had to spend her own money on clothing. 

They don’t wear uniforms in whatever grade they’re in now (8th?). It was mentioned randomly in the season premiere.

Edited by Aileen
  • Love 1

S6.E8: O Mother Where Art Thou?

When Dre discovers that Lynette is an art aficionado like himself, the two quickly bond and become close, but he begins to feel guilty since he is spending more time with her than Ruby. Meanwhile, Junior introduces Bow to virtual reality.

Original air date: 11/19/19

Wait.... Did I just...empathize with everyone in this episode? No one was a cartoonish farce?

Incredible!

That was a really enjoyable episode, because they didn't have to make anyone seem ridiculous to hammer the point home. Great work team.

Pops, as usual, straight up steals every scene. Maybe it's those grey hairs

• Love 17
24 minutes ago, Traveller519 said:

That was a really enjoyable episode, because they didn't have to make anyone seem ridiculous to hammer the point home. Great work team.

It really felt like a season 1 or 2 episode.  Solid all the way around!  

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

Wait.... Did I just...empathize with everyone in this episode? No one was a cartoonish farce?

Incredible!

Pops, as usual, straight up steals every scene. Maybe it's those grey hairs

Yup. I was sure that Ruby was going to engage in some treasured tradition with Lynette's son Doug to make Dre jealous. 

I'm not sure why Pops had to leave the museum if he wasn't being disruptive,  unless he was charging money for his "tour."

There was a throwaway line from Dre about Bow complaining about doing laundry. I don't want to start a discussion about how the twins and Dre should do their own laundry, I just think Bow, a full time doctor, should consider hiring someone to do a repetitive chore that she doesn't care for. That might give her some time for Dante, the baby who is never around. Perhaps Dre should stop finding new activities and spend some time with him, too.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 5

Right between George Lucas' wife and Robert De Niro's wife. Hmm. Gotta call foul on that subtle shade.

An extra wife? Maybe Bow should get an extra husband. Or a replacement husband. Ugh, Dre.

The Cheesecake Machine. That's about right. They just churn out those delicious calories. (And I guess the real restaurant didn't want to pay for product placement?)

I'm not sure why Pops had to leave the museum if he wasn't being disruptive,  unless he was charging money for his "tour."

The museum probably doesn't want to be held accountable for something erroneous he might say. Some of those people might be paying for membership and expect a certain level of quality. Or he might get injured somehow and then try to make a workers comp case because he was "working" there.

• Love 2

"Stick a cheesecake machine in the middle east, and everything would be cool." 

This was actually a pretty good episode, where no one acted like an over the top asshole for once! Pops as the magical black man was amazing, I could have watched that all day. I mean, the control of those brush strokes...

"Dre you know the answer to that question, its like you've never met us."

• Love 6
9 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

There was a throwaway line from Dre about Bow complaining about doing laundry. I don't want to start a discussion about how the twins and Dre should do their own laundry, I just think Bow, a full time doctor, should consider hiring someone to do a repetitive chore that she doesn't care for.

It drives me crazy when I see tv parents doing laundry for their teenage kids. You know those are the same kids who show up for college and don’t know how to wash their own clothes. My sister and I had multiple extracurricular activities in high school and we still had chores and had to do our own laundry (including ironing it and putting it into our drawers). Kids need to learn responsibility and laundry is a good place to start. It also takes a huge burden off of a parent who is doing laundry for four people and a baby. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Yup. I was sure that Ruby was going to engage in some treasured tradition with Lynette's son Doug to make Dre jealous. 

There was a throwaway line from Dre about Bow complaining about doing laundry. I don't want to start a discussion about how the twins and Dre should do their own laundry, I just think Bow, a full time doctor, should consider hiring someone to do a repetitive chore that she doesn't care for. That might give her some time for Dante, the baby who is never around. Perhaps Dre should stop finding new activities and spend some time with him, too.

Great episode. Everyone was real and it was easy to put yourself in Dre’s shoes about feeling guilt when getting close to Lynette.

I figured Pops had to leave because he was impersonating a museum employee.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Did they get rid of "Black Nanny"?

Episode 9:

"University of Dre"

Dre and Bow are worried about Junior's future working odd jobs, especially after he tells them he wants to produce comedy shows for unknown comics; Rainbow encourages Diane to have a slumber party at their house.

Airs November 26, 2019.

On 11/21/2019 at 12:38 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It drives me crazy when I see tv parents doing laundry for their teenage kids. You know those are the same kids who show up for college and don’t know how to wash their own clothes. My sister and I had multiple extracurricular activities in high school and we still had chores and had to do our own laundry (including ironing it and putting it into our drawers). Kids need to learn responsibility and laundry is a good place to start. It also takes a huge burden off of a parent who is doing laundry for four people and a baby. 

I did my daughter's laundry up until the day she left for college last year and she's been doing her laundry for the past 18 months.  In fact, she just came home for Fall break and had 2 huge bags of clothes, I was like "seriously, that's all laundry"  she say "yeah, CLEAN laundry.  I did it before I left".  So to somewhat stay on topic - its doesn't bug me.....it does BUG me that Dre and Bow don't have someone to do it for them - even the fluff and fold for a buck and a quarter a pound.  

• Love 1
On 11/24/2019 at 3:26 PM, OnceSane said:

Episode 9:

Airs November 26, 2019.

OH look, repeated plot and Junior doing something that he thinks will be his "big break" wash, rinse, make everyone look stupid, repeat.

• Love 1

Maybe they're setting us up so we'll be surprised when Junior does get his big break. His giving his all to Chore Boar, with no implication that it's really beneath him, is actually terrific progress.

In my imagination, Junior becomes the most sought-after manny in Sherman Oaks. As a further step toward independence he tries to clear his ruined credit, and Pops gets arrested on his wedding day. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Marley said:

Oh of course Junior gets an amazing job after doing like 2 comedy shows. What a  joke. Since when is Junior even funny. Junior and his storylines are ruining the show for me.

Right, I just rolled my eyes. Hell, I wanted Junior to have an epiphany after the other Iron Man impersonators were ready to beat him up. They keep doing this. Junior should realize he is doing everything to himself. Then magically someone comes along and offers him an amazing job. Which I'm sure with the fact the season is half way over, he will lose for some odd or contrived reason. Then once again be: "Why can't I just get a super awesome job, I'm 20!" Here is an idea Junior, either go get certified or get your ass into school, hell even trade school. Because you are doing this to yourself. 

• Love 4

Except he didn't accept the super, fancy job.  He accepted his dad's job, which is even worse. I get that he's a millenial (or is he a gen Z?) and that's a market they need to crack, but there's so much more to marketing than just hey I have this idea and it will work because I'm also 20 years old.  At his level he'd be doing market analytics and things like that. Not just coming up with the "big idea." 

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

Except he didn't accept the super, fancy job.  He accepted his dad's job, which is even worse. I get that he's a millenial (or is he a gen Z?) and that's a market they need to crack, but there's so much more to marketing than just hey I have this idea and it will work because I'm also 20 years old.  At his level he'd be doing market analytics and things like that. Not just coming up with the "big idea."

This. We've spent so long watching Junior do crazy stuff trying to figure his life out and he's just ended up right back where we started at Stephens & Lido. He still doesn't have a degree (something that will hold him back when he doesn't have that nepotism in) and he's back to doing what he already was doing. What was the point?

I get that they want to keep the character on the show, but send him to a local college after he realized that Howard was too far from home for his liking and let him intern at Dre's work or something. Watching a character who was always smart and into school flounder isn't amusing.

• Love 10

Maybe we're supposed to be touched but there's something a bit malign about Dre pulling Junior back into his orbit. "Loserboy might succeed? Gotta grab some of the credit!" If we have to head down that road, I hope Junior does something so great that he becomes the Andre Johnson of the local advertising world.

Seriously, he's still Junior? Dre should have let him be Andy when he had the chance.

Edited by LadyintheLoop
  • Love 11

I don't mind that Junior is at Stephens & Lido.  I do kind of mind that they had him there, had him leave and then brought him back.

And I think this story would have worked better had he been doing all these odd jobs just so he could follow his "comedy promoter" dream over the past season and a half only to have it culminate in this episode. But having it happen all in one episode?  Meh.

• Love 7

Will this Junior plot ever end?! Its practically making me nostalgic for the days of the never ending "Will Bow and Dre get divorced?" plot! And now Junior is taking a job that, by all means sounds worse than the other one he was offered, back at the exact place he started at? Then what the hell has been the point of any of this? 

Having Dre involved almost seems like Dre is annoyed at the idea of Junior becoming successful on his own, so he drags him back to a place where Dre can still have some control over his professional life, as well as taking credit for any future success he might have, and considering Dre hardly even likes Junior on most days, thats just a recipe for disaster. 

Thats not even getting into how ridiculous it is that Junior might actually get a big gig running comedy shows after just like two shows...

• Love 6

Wait, Charlie looks nothing like Steadman Graham. What am I missing?

University of Dre. Where you graduate dumber than when you started.

Diane doesn't have any Black friends?

Lady Sausage. Not sure that's a complement but git it, Ruby.

Ditto comments upthread, I think Dre only wants Junior to be successful if Dre can claim credit for it. He's holding Junior back for his own ego.

• LOL 3

I had so many issues with this episode.

Where did Junior meet enough comedians to put together an event like this?

How did he meet people who own different venues that he can use for these shows?

If the tickets are free, how is paying for the space rental, event insurance, etc.?

When Bow said Junior had "totally transformed the space," I was like woman, you need to get your eyes checked. I rarely agree with Dre but when he pointed out that all Junior did was hang up some Christmas lights, I was glad that someone still had some perspective.

And this event was SO successful that someone offered him a job? BITCH, PLEASE.

Dre referred to attending Junior's event as "working together." Uh, no. You watched his first show and you were supposed to collect email addresses at the second show (although it remains to be seen whether he actually did).

Dre consistently puts Junior down but once he organizes one comedy show, he thinks Junior is just like him and wants to keep "working together"?

The generally accepted cut off date for millennials is 1995/1996 which means Junior is Gen Z.

Does Dre have authorization to just create a position and hire his own son for it? Where I work, you have to create a public job posting, solicit resumes, and interview people - and that's if you can convince them that this position needs to be created (aka that they need to put money into the budget to pay for an additional employee).

• Love 9
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Does Dre have authorization to just create a position and hire his own son for it? Where I work, you have to create a public job posting, solicit resumes, and interview people - and that's if you can convince them that this position needs to be created (aka that they need to put money into the budget to pay for an additional employee).

Right, Dre isn't in charge. He and Charlie are basically keeping their business successful, but they are treated like shit and are treated like they don't know a hole in the ground. So, even this made no sense, because it also throws the context of the show out the door too.

• Love 2
On 11/27/2019 at 7:05 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Wait, Charlie looks nothing like Steadman Graham. What am I missing?

There was a meme going around that had Deon Cole mixed up with Lionel Richie and that was way more realistic than the Steadman Graham thing. But hey.

• Useful 2

Here's a pitch Junior could make to American Express: Many members of Generation Z are discovering that their identities have been stolen and their credit ruined, so AmEx could get ahead of the other credit-card providers by targeting an initiative to these kids.

. . . and then Pops gets arrested at his wedding.

University of Dre. Where you graduate dumber than when you started.

Good one!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, LadyintheLoop said:

Here's a pitch Junior could make to American Express: Many members of Generation Z are discovering that their identities have been stolen and their credit ruined, so AmEx could get ahead of the other credit-card providers by targeting an initiative to these kids.

. . . and then Pops gets arrested at his wedding.

Good one!

I agree on all of these. It is true, I have kids the other day asking me about their numbers being given out and how spoof calling has gotten out of control with their generation (I'm a business teacher). I had two of my kids write up a plan on how to do a PSA on it. It was good stuff.

• Love 1

Episode 10:

"Father Christmas"

Dre is thrown off when Pops shows up to the house full of holiday cheer; the whole family gets into the holiday spirit until someone from Lynette's past shows up.

Airs December 10, 2019.

Feel for Pops, but yes Ruby is right.

Seriously though, how Lynette could up-and-leave like that is insane.

Devante's hair is crazy. Like wow.

Okay, Nicole Sullivan's character and Charlie is the hookup I never thought I wanted but think I need to see happen. That quip from Charlie was funny.

• Love 12
17 minutes ago, jmonique said:

No supposedly decent person like Lynette would dump a man on Christmas, in front of his family. WTF was that.

That was low! I felt so bad for Pops.

I cracked up when Ruby took off for her cruise ("see you suckers after the ball drops!") and Bow looked heavenward with gratitude.

I would 100% have taken that envelope straight out of Devante's little hands and I would not have felt any type of way about it.

• Love 12

I really thought that Lynette was a good person, but no really good person could so cruelly dump someone, especially someone they were engaged to. I felt so sad for Pops, what a terrible thing to happen, especially on Christmas! "Well I was gonna marry you, but you were always my second choice, so...later!" Screw her and screw Philip, who thinks its appropriate to show up at his exs fiances families house and try and get her back, and both just happily run off, I guess they deserve each other. 

The episode itself was actually quite good, the last scene with Ruby and Pops was really sweet, and I had some good laughs throughout. "Why does it smell like burning alligator?" 

I would have totally taken that envelop from baby Devante, what is a baby gonna do with that money? I would treat Pops to a nice dinner and a WHOLE lot of booze on Lynettes dime. 

• Love 11

Aww, I love this show, but I wasn’t feeling the little subtle shade towards go-go music and Rare Essence. D.C.’s people and culture are in a serious fight against gentrification right now. Just this summer, residents of some new, overpriced condo tried to get a local store shut down for playing go-go, something they’ve done long before that condo ever existed. This resulted in the #dontmutedc campaign and thousands of people taking to the streets in protest. I love blackish, and I chuckled a little at the joke, but we really don’t need to give the gentrifiers anymore ammunition. I wonder if R.E. knew how their song was going to be used in the episode. And if you’re going to play Lock It, at least do the Lock It dance lol. 

• Useful 2

wasn’t feeling the little subtle shade towards go-go music

That was odd to me too, especially since Dre went to Howard. I kind of get why it never really took off nationally because to many people it probably seems dated, like disco.

S6.E11: Hair Day

Bow takes Diane to get her hair done at the salon and wants to spend this time together as a bonding opportunity, but Diane isn't having it. Diane is conflicted about relaxing her hair again and embarks on a hair journey with the help of Bow, Ruby, and her hair stylist, Yaya (Jill Scott). Meanwhile, Dre and Junior compete to have the best barbecue.

Original air date: 1/7/20

My dad was Indian and my mom is Haitian so while my hair isn't kinky, it is sort of coarse and frizzy so I did go through some phases of relaxers. My sister was having some bad flash backs just at the mention.  So we definitely related to this episode. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, mtlchick said:

My dad was Indian and my mom is Haitian so while my hair isn't kinky, it is sort of coarse and frizzy so I did go through some phases of relaxers. My sister was having some bad flash backs just at the mention.  So we definitely related to this episode. 

I liked the way they explained that you can't just stop using relaxers and how it is a process to get your hair back to basics.

7 hours ago, nokat said:

No black hair is wrong.  It's all beautiful. 🙂

The Dragon Ball Z stuff was funny. I Have to say I love all the ladies on this program and how they all showcase awesome black hair, including Ruby and Zoe (though she is on a different show now).

• Love 3

I do not miss relaxers AT ALL. I almost went natural in high school but chickened out, and I low-key regret not doing it sooner. (I big-chopped after transitioning for about six months.) And they were talking fondly about the salon but one of the things I like best about being natural is that I'm in the salon less often. Even when I was relaxed I chose the salon that didn't play with triple-booking and having me waiting two hours past my appointment time. Jill Scott was funny as the stylist.

That woman who had like 8 inches of growth but was still clinging to her relaxed ends had me rolling. I saw a woman on IG who was doing the same thing (she posted a wash day video clip) and her "new" growth was down to her shoulders with the relaxed ends down to her waist. Honestly, she looked crazy. Every single comment was "If you don't cut that shit off ..."

I always thought Diane's hair was pressed, not relaxed. Wasn't there an episode where Ruby didn't press Diane's hair?

• Love 6

It never ceases to amaze me how much time black women have to spend on their hair. I never even thought about it until I saw Chris Rock's documentary "Good Hair". I'm glad they had this episode and otherwise mention the topic occasionally.

• Love 4