Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Doesn't Junior share that stinky room with Jack?  Work on that room!

Jack's night terrors must be keeping him at bay. Oh wait? A plot point ignored? They wouldn't do that? Would they?😁

• Love 3
On 3/18/2020 at 2:02 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Dre showed his usual man baby colors in this episode. Typical of the kind of guy who claims he wants a strong, powerful, successful woman and then can't actually handle her success because it makes him feel less important when he isn't the center of her universe for like five seconds.

On 3/18/2020 at 9:59 AM, vibeology said:

Bow looked amazing at the Gala and it was great to see her work the room with such skill. She's moved up a level for sure. Dre was a whiny pathetic child but Ruby (who has been pretty fabulous all season) set him straight. Hopefully it sticks.

On 3/18/2020 at 11:58 PM, tennisgurl said:

Bow looked freaking amazing at the Gala! Finally they're giving her the fabulous outfits she deserves! Of course I have to be distracted from Bow working the room and being a star by Dre being his insecure man baby self, who is of course whiny and pissed that he isnt the center of attention at every damn thing ever, even at his wife's work stuff. Hopefully he took Ruby's words to heart and we can at least go a few weeks before he has to learn this lesson again. 

Diane and Mason are actually pretty cute, go figure. 

On 3/19/2020 at 12:54 AM, possibilities said:

Dre is really just so annoying. Why couldn't he talk with the other spouses? Maybe he'd have a good time if he wasn't always trying to be an asshole.

On 3/20/2020 at 2:35 PM, vibeology said:

Seriously. That guy he met in line seemed like a perfect fine fellow. Why not become his friend and hang out at these events while both their spouses network with the other board members? If Dre had tried he could have found a new friend or a potential client .

On 3/21/2020 at 3:53 PM, Madding crowd said:

I liked it that Diane didn’t change her room. She can have a feminine looking room and still be who she is. Dre acted pretty much like I thought he would. Not sure I believe Ruby would ever say anything against Dre.

Lord, this was so stupid.

I have been the plus one at many of my husband's work situations (and yes, he is on boards) and he has been the supportive spouse at my work functions.

Unlike, Dre, we support each other and do not compare ourselves to others. We also do not care about being a "power couple".

Rainbow is an successful attractive doctor with five beautiful children and still puts up with a nasty mother in law and a man child husband.

The children are also Dre's  but he seems to not like most of them with the exception of Zoey.

Count your blessings and step up by celebrating your wife's success.

You are not exactly the best arm candy material by any means.

Bow looked stunning this episode.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 6
On 3/19/2020 at 3:38 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Exactly. And I'm sure that Bow has been to MANY of Dre's work events and had to talk to some of his ridiculous coworkers (and their spouses). Yet he couldn't manage to make polite small talk at a party because he wasn't getting enough attention and praise. He is SUCH a child.

I absolutely LOATHED when he tried to get Bow to leave the party with the promise of sex at the Four Seasons. Stop sabotaging your wife with your insecurity and your need to be the most important person in the room. Why is it so difficult to watch your spouse be awesome and just be proud of her? Why does this have to be about YOU?

^^Exactly.  He was extra special Big Baby in this episode.  And then, slow clap, you come to your senses after talking to Ruby...but then you interrupt Bow AGAIN when she's with coworkers, to apologize.  Just freaking leave her alone!

• Love 8
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

Junior is old enough to get his own damned flu shot. He doesn't need Mommy to schedule it.

If they wanted to do a story like this, they at least should have chosen one of the younger kids.

I can see why it had to be Junior. He’s old enough to make his own medical decisions. Being underage, Jack and Diane don’t have much say. 

• Love 8

And the description was off anyway.  Bow told Junior that the hospital had restocked and flu shots were now available.  Junior then said he'd make the appointment to get one.

Then they launched into a story which was actually just a PSA about the benefits of vaccines which is fine and all but it wasn't that funny nor was it easy for me to believe that Junior would go along with his grandmother's hairbrained notion.  That's where Jack would have worked better.

• Love 3

Another week of Boo Hoo, Dre Feels Sorry for Himself.

If you really want to volunteer at your kids' school, it's not rocket science. Tell your boss that once a month, you will be coming to work an hour late or taking a long lunch because you're volunteering. If you're a salaried employee, as a VP of Dre's stature would be, it's not a big deal. If you're hourly, you can work an hour later to make up for the time. Lots of parents do things like this (and many schools are a lot more demanding about requiring each kid's parents to volunteer a certain number of hours per school year).

I had to roll my eyes when Bow tried to explain to him that most working moms have to deal with this because OF COURSE Dre believes that his man pain is unique and the first of its kind and no one could possibly understand what he's going through.

• Love 12
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

And the description was off anyway.  Bow told Junior that the hospital had restocked and flu shots were now available.  Junior then said he'd make the appointment to get one.

Then they launched into a story which was actually just a PSA about the benefits of vaccines which is fine and all but it wasn't that funny nor was it easy for me to believe that Junior would go along with his grandmother's hairbrained notion.  That's where Jack would have worked better.

I agree, Jack would have made plenty of sense. I'm sorry, but Junior is a little old to be going along with this and then add in Ruby. I'm sorry, she has seen so many issues over the past 60 years knowing how vaccines work. Yet, we are to expect she is: "against shots, they are the devil." Oh BULLSHIT!  I like how the writers want to hammer in that Junior is so gullible and an idiot that YES, he can be valedictorian for a high school, but do things as a normal 20 year old. Nah! Why do that?

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Ruby has been shown to be a bit of a conspiracy theorist so I do believe she'd be anti-vax exactly in the way she was. 

Yet, two seasons ago you defended Bow about not picking fights with people online who are anti-vax. Where she was right and now she is apparently in agreement with them. 

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Another week of Boo Hoo, Dre Feels Sorry for Himself.

If you really want to volunteer at your kids' school, it's not rocket science. Tell your boss that once a month, you will be coming to work an hour late or taking a long lunch because you're volunteering. If you're a salaried employee, as a VP of Dre's stature would be, it's not a big deal. If you're hourly, you can work an hour later to make up for the time. Lots of parents do things like this (and many schools are a lot more demanding about requiring each kid's parents to volunteer a certain number of hours per school year).

I had to roll my eyes when Bow tried to explain to him that most working moms have to deal with this because OF COURSE Dre believes that his man pain is unique and the first of its kind and no one could possibly understand what he's going through.

Dre is senior enough that he could just put his volunteer hours on his calendar and his subordinates would have to deal with it. He might have to renege if there’s a fire at work (any client-facing profession has those), but he could totally work in volunteering - and it would be a great work/life balance model for his subordinates.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

Dre is senior enough that he could just put his volunteer hours on his calendar and his subordinates would have to deal with it. He might have to renege if there’s a fire at work (any client-facing profession has those), but he could totally work in volunteering - and it would be a great work/life balance model for his subordinates.

The problem is, all of Dre's co-workers and superiors all act like they got their jobs based on bribing, under handed deals and so forth. I mean, then half the time they act like they barely know how to tie their shoes. It would be nice if Dre could just be an "adult" and tell them these things or had it where it was just causing more of a hassel at work because of coming in late or something. Instead its written to be: "oh you bastard, you can't do that!"

Michael Jai White has aged interestingly. He might want to ease up on the fillers in his cheeks. I don't think that's making him look younger.

Do teenagers really get flu shots these days?

Diane said she was probably about to get jumped by an 11th grader. I'm thinking the 11th grader should be the one worried.

Who is this Loose Craig guy Pops kept mentioning?

• LOL 3

Poor Josh was just trying to do some product placement and he kept getting interrupted by Dre`s drama of the day!

When Dre started out the episode saying h=how he was the best dad ever, I half expected the a studio audience to appear and start laughing uproariously at his hilarious joke! Yeah you dont get to act like the best dad ever when I have watched you be a massive dick to your oldest son for the whole show, and pretty much forget your youngest exists every episode. So we get another "Dre is a dick and learns a lesson" episode huh? Oh good, something new and different! At least I got to watch the principle literally dunk on Dre, that was pretty delightful. 

Yeah, the two worst places you can go to for medical advice are probably random YouTube people, and Ruby.  

Edited by tennisgurl
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

As if watching Dre’s babyman antics just about every show isn’t bad enough now f**king Disney ABC has to imbed promos for their products and franchises (AT&T)  in the show.  UUCK!  Their corporate has no shame or ethics.  Greedy greedy greedy.  And I bet they all have a mountain of TP at home.

• Love 4
On 3/25/2020 at 4:42 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

My employer actually paid parents to volunteer.  There was a limit on how many hours per month (I forget now since it was like 15 years ago), but I thought it was an awesome benefit. 

• Love 4

Why are people so shocked about Ruby's position on vaccines?  Sadly it was all too realistic.  In real life you have the Jenny McCarthy nonsense. On top of that, some older blacks still harbor skepticism about the medical "establishment" because of the Tuskegee experiments.  

Is that skepticism still justified in 2020? Of course not, but old habits die hard

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Tyler said:

Why are people so shocked about Ruby's position on vaccines?  Sadly it was all too realistic.  In real life you have the Jenny McCarthy nonsense. On top of that, some older blacks still harbor skepticism about the medical "establishment" because of the Tuskegee experiments.  

Is that skepticism still justified in 2020? Of course not, but old habits die hard

I thought it was playing into the fear and distrust many black people have of doctors they were discussing on Mixed-ish with Alicia and Denise.

• Love 3

I'm sad that no one seems to be enjoying this show anymore. I thought this season started a little weak but it has been getting funnier as the season goes on. I thoroughly enjoyed this last episode especially. 

Dre being an unself-aware man-baby is the joke. He is hilarious in his ridiculousness, as is Ruby and the entire work crew. And I am loving that Ruby and Bow have finally made peace. They still get their barbs in but there is humor behind them instead of malice.

Plus, any episode that has Ruby AND Pops is aces in my book. 

• Love 3

Bow's threat to stop allowing Ruby to take care of Devante if she didn't get the flu shot rings pretty hollow, as Devante would probably not survive without Ruby to watch him.  His existence never seems to interfere with Dre or Bow's ability to do work, read a magazine, browse the internet, etc, etc,  Ruby has finally earned her keep.  She should be exhausted.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Bow's threat to stop allowing Ruby to take care of Devante if she didn't get the flu shot rings pretty hollow, as Devante would probably not survive without Ruby to watch him.  His existence never seems to interfere with Dre or Bow's ability to do work, read a magazine, browse the internet, etc, etc,  Ruby has finally earned her keep.  She should be exhausted.

Right and let's face it, unless it's a plot point, Devante is ignored by everyone, including the writers. Yes, you can except that Ruby has a problem with vaccines and so forth, but to put Junior in the story. The writers can't make up their mind. Make Junior someone who just isn't experience and makes decisions based on fear or emotion. He is level headed, or where all of a sudden, someone could say the sky is falling and he be ducking for cover. There is no consitancy with almost ANY of the characters outside of: Dre is a man-child, Ruby has to be pissed off at something of Bow's. Junior apparently has brain damage, Diane is "mean/evil" and Baby D is either part of the family or act like he NEVER exists. 

• Love 1

It's a SITCOM folks. Not 100% real life, not supposed to be. 

Also, every family member does not have to be present or even mentioned in every episode. Don't get why that is bothering people so much. It's 20 minutes long, they can't show every minute of every day.

Edited by Gothish520
  • LOL 1

Episode 20:

"A Game of Chicken"

Dre knows when to choose his battles with Bow, but they disagree on where to send Devante for preschool. Meanwhile, Junior helps Jack and Diane pull an epic eighth-grade prank.

Airs April 7, 2020.

10 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

I hate Dre like poison...that's all

I was never on his side and even his co-workers admit, they all suck. The truth is, this could have been all solved with Bow would have just said: "Dre, times are different, Devonte needs to learn more with his hands than what he can google for an answer." The writers just screwed up giving them another kid because they either forget about him or then put them in even more stupid plots than Junior.
Speaking of Junior, his story was actually pretty good and the twist at the end was great. However, when Junior was saying about "Then a College Mascot". So since you got sick and missed your 8th grade prank is why you dropped out of college? Sure writer, tell us another BS reason. 

• Love 6

Heh, chicken school. 

Why cant Dre just, like, talk to Bow without turning it into A Thing? He needed all of this to just learn something so freaking obvious? Just say your not sure about the school, you dont have to press her buttons about her mixed race angst or her commune childhood! So half this episode was just a dream sequence? 

"Invade Russia in the winter, give your mistress your home address, but dont push your wife's button!"

• Love 7
13 hours ago, LadyintheLoop said:

I like Stevens' rare moments of sanity: "You listened to US!??!" Too bad it was part of a fantasy sequence.

That was the biggest let down, even when he pointed out everything from his multiple divorces to Charlie being Charlie. Especially when Charlie went: "yeah." I felt like it was a big "Screw you!" Followed by: "See how much Dre is a baby and remember he has diabetes? Why he buys more shoes now instead of hiding candy." Bow's view made the most sense and it drives me crazy when Dre throws Bow's heritage and most of her life style at her after all this time. Yes, ABC and writers, we know about Mix-ish, ratings are good on the show. However, as they learned, living in a type of hippy/culturist life was bad, they got out. The problem was, Bow decided to make something of her life, while her mother continued to flake in life and her siblings are still acting like they are 14. 

I also get this episode was filmed before the COVID-19 shut down, however kids are having to be more creative and even teachers are learning you can't just do: "Remember, take a test, and then forget about it." Anymore. 

Since when does Dre not push Bows buttons tho? Seems to me he’s a constant jerk baby.

Once they rewound the episode I was over it and deleted the episode once they started in with their convo. Stupid.

• Love 4

I don't get the complaints. This whole episode is about how Dre HAS learned not to just blow up and push buttons. It showed us what could have happened if he did, and how instead of acting the way he would usually act, he took a beat and then took a different approach.

And I'm sorry but Dre IS right, that woo woo Chicken school is nonsense. 

• Love 3

Episode 21:

"Earl, Interrupted"

Dre realizes he needs to intervene when Pops starts to go overboard while partying and gambling with old friends to mask his heartbreak. Meanwhile, Bow pawns school drop-off onto Junior so that she can avoid an annoying parent.

Airs April 14, 2020.

Three Dre's and three Bows doing different tasks and talking to each other? Someone at Blackish has been watching Star Trek: Picard.

Wow, when did DeVante get so tall?

Josh has only been with a blowup doll. 😮

And Bow came back with her own torpedo to the crotch of Dre's heart. All calm and cool like  she had that one already chambered. Time management training, heh.

Bow was killing that Pony dance. Tracee is amazing.

• Love 3

Poor Pops, felt so bad for him and I enjoyed that Dre found  a way to connect with him. I even liked the ending. The mrs and I lost it when Bow told Dre: "You can't find a ladder to fix the light on the front porch." Hey... look it's Junior being a moron again and everyone pointing it out to him. Seriously writers, if you don't know what to do with Junior, maybe you should have shipped him off to Grown-ish since you did more with him in two episodes than the past two years. 

Don't know why, but loved Dre's shirt. 

• Love 4

Poor Pops, that was a next level brutal break up, no wonder he is struggling with getting over it. This had a lot of aspects of another "Dre is a dick until he learns his lesson by the end again" episode, but I didn't mind it as much. The last part with him and Pops was really good, and I can get that it can be tough being emotionally open with someone when, as much as you love them, thats not really the relationship you have, and especially with men of a certain age. At least in my experience. 

God, if theyre not going to do anything with Junior, can they just ship him off to Grown-ish? Or even have him on Mixed-ish as some new character wearing glasses and a fake beard? 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Poor Pops, that was a next level brutal break up, no wonder he is struggling with getting over it. This had a lot of aspects of another "Dre is a dick until he learns his lesson by the end again" episode, but I didn't mind it as much. The last part with him and Pops was really good, and I can get that it can be tough being emotionally open with someone when, as much as you love them, thats not really the relationship you have, and especially with men of a certain age. At least in my experience. 

Everything though was very in character for both and even Dre realizing that his father was not going to bounce back either. I mean he pointed out perfect that Pops won not only money, but a lot of money and he still couldn't be happy. Dre didn't know how to handle it because of how badly Pops is broken right now. He saw and witness his parents married and then falling apart and doing some very "shadey things" to survive and raise two kids. However, now he sees that life really is over now for both of them. Even when they have good things happen to them in light of some dark stuff, they can't bounce back anymore. 

God, if theyre not going to do anything with Junior, can they just ship him off to Grown-ish? Or even have him on Mixed-ish as some new character wearing glasses and a fake beard? 

It's really bad because it proves how much the writers had no idea what to do with Junior after they had him: "drop out of college because of his scary roommate." I understood the first few episodes of him just bouncing, but after they spent so much time beating it into the audience's head of his getting a "big break" at Dre's company and being kicked out of the house. He lost that job at the beginning of the season and then they just used him as a gloried babysitter to his other siblings, especially Devonte, because you know, Devonte is ignored and forgotten more by the writers than Junior's story lines. Yet, after just two episodes on Grown-ish, more was done with Junior than the past two seasons. 

Bow is rolling her eyes more at Junior and I'm waiting for her to just go: "You didn't want to stay in college." "Then you got a good job and then you blew that." "NOW, you keep listen to others dumbass advice and it constantly doesn't work!" "Go live with our aunt and uncle who are like you because once Devone is in kindergarten, we have no use for you." 

• Love 5

S06.E2: ...Baby One More Time

Dre underestimates Rhonda's ability to be a mom and struggles to support her decision to adopt a baby; Ruby gets in the way of Bow's plans for the perfect baby shower; Junior, Jack and Diane go to extra lengths to give the best gift of the party.

Original air date: 4/21/20

9 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I did enjoy hearing that Junior is the only one who knows whether Devonte (DeVonte?) has a capital V in his name. 

Right and the fact the writers pretty much have all the characters admit they all ignore Devonte, but Junior. The only thing that Junior apparently EVER does right. Ok, Ruby and the strippers was funny, but at the same time. Really? It's a damn baby shower. I know she never liked Bow, but come on that was a little overboard.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, readster said:

Ok, Ruby and the strippers was funny, but at the same time. Really? It's a damn baby shower. I know she never liked Bow, but come on that was a little overboard.

Or hiring male strippers for a lesbian's party.

• Love 4

The joke about how Bow and Dre dont know if Devontes name is spelled with a V was funny, but its also really sad and a bit disturbing how nobody except for Junior cares about this poor baby. Junior is basically a single parent, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that Devonte starts calling Junior daddy. 

"A PTA meeting, a NASA launch, a lesbian baby shower, its amazing how you can make all of those about yourself." Truer words. 

• Love 6
49 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

The joke about how Bow and Dre dont know if Devontes name is spelled with a V was funny, but its also really sad and a bit disturbing how nobody except for Junior cares about this poor baby. Junior is basically a single parent, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that Devonte starts calling Junior daddy. 

"A PTA meeting, a NASA launch, a lesbian baby shower, its amazing how you can make all of those about yourself." Truer words. 

Yes on everything, but I also don't think the writers would go there anyhow. They only use Devonte when it's convient to the plot. There is almost NO character with anyone except for Junior. Instead of focusing on that more, they want Junior to constantly still wonder around, falling for everyone's "get rich" idea or his own half ass thoughts of "making bread". 

Same goes with Ruby's interpretation of things. I mean you get Dre being called out on: "Do you eve have ANY gay friends." Ruby apparently doesn't understand the basic concept of: "women who are attracted women aren't going to care about hot men stripping." Just like her stance on anti-shots when she defended Bow a couple seasons ago when she got in an argument online with people who were anti and even talked about Zoey staying health back in season 2. All of a sudden she is: "Junior, how dare you get a flu shot." "Don't you know those things are evil! It's like: "Where did that even come from?" Also, man I know they have Dre wearing interesting expensive outfits, but his pants and that berry shirt seriously clashed. I was waiting for someone at the shower to go: "Did you make outfit yourself? Because it looks like it does."

• Love 2

When Ruby was saying the was ready for a new grandbaby because the ones she had were grown, I immediately thought of Devonte. Even Ruby, who used to spend a lot of time with him, is now acting like he doesn't exist.

It's not funny to me, like Dre's constant idiocy is not funny to me. I am having a hard time convincing myself to keep watching the show, and I used to really like it.

• Love 5

Ruby trying to plan all those typical and tacky baby shower games was so funny - candy bars in diapers, ha! Bring on the strippers!

I agree with Dre, I liked the yellow/gray color combo. Bow knows how to throw a party.

(edited)

Rhonda the Baby Mama.

Wishes are just miracles for sinners.

Hol' up. Cupcake-flavored vodka? Uh, yeah, no. Not unless it's extremely cheap vodka.😝

Junior reads Stroller Illustrated.

Godfather Junior. Oops, busted trying to take credit for a purloined stroller. (But having your own name engraved on a gift seems a bit much. Do people actually do that?)

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • LOL 1