Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E09: The Hidey Hole

• Start Topic

Aww, poor GED teacher, I liked him. He was really getting through to Pennsatucky.

Daya is so, so unlikeable. After last season I really wanted more Adeola, but now not so much.

Cindy killed that interview.

I was starting to think last episode that something like genital mutilation was going on with Shani. Really tragic.

Oh Lorna, you're not going to get far!

I'm getting worried they aren't going to wrap up storylines at all and things will just...end.

• Love 12

That thing with Lorna was just a bit too unbelievable for me.  

Hopefully Piper's dad will keep her on after her scanning is done.  The ladies there seem to like her and she does have a degree. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, ExplainItAgain said:

Daya is so, so unlikeable.

I don't mind unlikeable characters, but she's always been just so dumb. I guess there's people who fail up or just land in the right place all the time. You'd think that would come home to roost at some point though.

7 hours ago, leighdear said:

Hopefully Piper's dad will keep her on after her scanning is done.  The ladies there seem to like her and she does have a degree. 

I really loved her fixing the light, and they were all quite impressed. I liked the scene with her dad where she called him on cheating on her mother and he kind of owned it. That was a nice turn because he was calling her a criminal in a very withering and condescending way, and then end up making fun of her for eating the cake. It was actually nice he said she was doing a good job.

I love Fig - "I'll deny ever giving you a compliment but I'll do it now and that's it." I actually like that she kisses Caputo. She doesn't look like someone that is affectionate.

• Love 16
5 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't mind unlikeable characters, but she's always been just so dumb. I guess there's people who fail up or just land in the right place all the time. You'd think that would come home to roost at some point though.

I really loved her fixing the light, and they were all quite impressed. I liked the scene with her dad where she called him on cheating on her mother and he kind of owned it. That was a nice turn because he was calling her a criminal in a very withering and condescending way, and then end up making fun of her for eating the cake. It was actually nice he said she was doing a good job.

I love Fig - "I'll deny ever giving you a compliment but I'll do it now and that's it." I actually like that she kisses Caputo. She doesn't look like someone that is affectionate.

I completely agree with all you said here. I'm team "Figuto". These two really fit. 

• Love 6

I've really liked this season so far, but the Lorna story from tonight is my only complaint. Clearly, we all know Lorna has issues, I don't think we needed the manslaughter. As much as I've always enjoyed the character, now that I know she's killed people along with trying to kill someone and all of the other crap — I'm now worried what would become of her and those around her when she is eventually streeted. 

If you would have told me during season 1 that Fig would end up being one of my favorite characters I would have called you a big fat liar, heh. Really enjoying her this season.

I was so proud of and happy for Cindy during that interview.

• Love 13
(edited)

My take is that Lorna's flashback was really a dream sequence.  "Hidey Hole" refers to the part of her brain where she went to escape reality.  (In addition to Nicky's secret spot in the commisary.)

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, PeterPirate said:

My take is that Lorna's flashback was really a dream sequence.  "Hidey Hole" refers to the part of her brain where she went to escape reality.  (In addition to Nicky's secret spot in the commisary.)

Heh, well then it went way over my head. I'm not sure what its purpose was, then. 

4 hours ago, Stiggs said:

I'm now worried what would become of her and those around her when she is eventually streeted. 

I was going to say, they're probably just going to dope her up, but I don't Linda will pay for that. 

I don't think it was a dream. She ended up at the hotel where they were going to get married and showed her feet were all cut up from walking. 

• Love 10

Yeah, I don't think Lorna's flashback was a dream, I think it was just showing a possible early example of / trigger of her fugue states and inability to live in reality. 

• Love 18

Lorna first got arrested and placed in Litchfield 1.0 because she stalked Christopher and his girlfriend, right? And the only reason she (with the other Litchfield ladies) are in max is because of the riot. So this new flashback, that presumably takes place before Christopher, is for a crime that she was never caught for/convicted of and more about her mental state. 

• Love 13

I'm glad Piper and her dad had a moment.

I felt so sad for Cindy, she was so happy that she got a job. Stupid Taystee!

For a moment I thought we were going to see Lorna on the roof of the building and she was going to jump.

I hate Dayanara on my screen.

I don't know why but I was thinking Shani had a penis the way she was keeping Nicky away from down there lol.

• Love 13
On 7/29/2019 at 3:57 PM, funnygirl said:

Lorna first got arrested and placed in Litchfield 1.0 because she stalked Christopher and his girlfriend, right? And the only reason she (with the other Litchfield ladies) are in max is because of the riot. So this new flashback, that presumably takes place before Christopher, is for a crime that she was never caught for/convicted of and more about her mental state. 

Lorna was originally arrested for credit card & mail fraud - she was scamming people to get credit cards in their names.  She had time added when she escaped and stalked Christopher (remember her in the wife's wedding dress and taking a bath in their bathtub?)

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, SuzySmith said:

Lorna was originally arrested for credit card & mail fraud - she was scamming people to get credit cards in their names.  She had time added when she escaped and stalked Christopher (remember her in the wife's wedding dress and taking a bath in their bathtub?)

Forgot about the credit card/mail fraud. Thanks! 

2 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:
14 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I was thinking Shani had a penis the way she was keeping Nicky away from down there lol.

That's what I thought too

I totally thought that as well until this episode when they showed her face when they came up with the nickname Clitvack.

I need to see Daya go down. Hard.

• Love 6
On 7/29/2019 at 3:47 PM, kieyra said:

Yeah, I don't think Lorna's flashback was a dream, I think it was just showing a possible early example of / trigger of her fugue states and inability to live in reality. 

I think the same thing, although I am hoping that her walking out of prison is one of her delusions. Because otherwise it will be too much for me, considering it is a maximum security prison on lockdown.

20 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I'm glad Piper and her dad had a moment.

I felt so sad for Cindy, she was so happy that she got a job. Stupid Taystee!

For a moment I thought we were going to see Lorna on the roof of the building and she was going to jump.

I hate Dayanara on my screen.

I don't know why but I was thinking Shani had a penis the way she was keeping Nicky away from down there lol.

I honestly thought Lorna was going to jump off the roof or something as well. I totally teared up over that!!

• Love 1
On 7/29/2019 at 3:01 PM, PeterPirate said:

Nah pretty sure it was real. It was what triggered her mental breakdown.

On 7/31/2019 at 3:35 PM, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I totally thought that as well until this episode when they showed her face when they came up with the nickname Clitvack.

I need to see Daya go down. Hard.

Yes!!  And take her shitty mom down with her.

On 7/31/2019 at 12:59 PM, Armchair Critic said:

That's what I thought too

Me too. I mean, me as well. 

• Love 2
On 7/30/2019 at 10:06 PM, foxfreakinmulder said:

I thought the same thing about both situations.  FGM made sense though, just thinking about it gives me the shivers.  I hope Shani is able to make it to another country or somehow survive.  

I thought Lorna was going to jump off the roof too.  Her situation is scary because she can come off as a normal (albeit very excited) person.  She doesn't think there is a problem and a cheap ass place like Lichfield isn't about to pay for someone to really help her, so when she hits the street it's going to be an issue.

15 hours ago, RealReality said:

She doesn't think there is a problem and a cheap ass place like Lichfield isn't about to pay for someone to really help her, so when she hits the street it's going to be an issue.

I agree, and I'm not sure Nicky stopping her transfer was the best thing for her. She needs to be in a place where she will get the help, and since Lichfield closed down the psych ward she's only going to get worse not better. Nicky thought all she needed was a friend but realized she couldn't help her. The last scene we saw of her she was with Red but what's going to happen when Red's dementia gets worse? She needs to be in a state hospital.

• Love 2

I was so pleading with Cindy to go back!  She was doing so well with the interview (she nailed it!), I really hoped she'd stay and face the fallout.  Just easier to run away, I guess.

My take was Lorna's flashback was supposed to be showing us the beginning of her mental problems, but they didn't really do a very good job of putting it in context. 

Red's story line is breaking my heart.  I've loved her character from the beginning.

• Love 6

Loved this episode! I really felt for Cindy and hope that things end well for her. 

My take on Lorna. I do believe that the flashback was real. I also think that she killed herself in prison and was running “toward the light”. Just a thought. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I don't really understand why the GED teacher just up and quit. All he had to do was report those three inmates. I guess they were sort of threatening the kids he coached or something? I don't know, it just seemed like he caved way too quickly.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I think knowing where the kids were was the key point. If he reports them, they still know. 

Kids?  Do you mean Daya & Her Drug Dealing Gang?  Or children the GED teacher would be teaching outside of Litchfield?  Either way, the "kids" would be at least 17.  Daya & Co. would know he dropped them in, for sure.

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't really understand why the GED teacher just up and quit. All he had to do was report those three inmates. I guess they were sort of threatening the kids he coached or something? I don't know, it just seemed like he caved way too quickly.

See my post above.  Although I liked Mr. GED Teacher, and hated to see him go,if it was in real life I think he made the right decision.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Kids?  Do you mean Daya & Her Drug Dealing Gang?  Or children the GED teacher would be teaching outside of Litchfield?  Either way, the "kids" would be at least 17.  Daya & Co. would know he dropped them in, for sure.

See my post above.  Although I liked Mr. GED Teacher, and hated to see him go,if it was in real life I think he made the right decision.

The GED teacher was shown a photo (which Daya found on his Instagram feed) of younger children he coached.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, RunningMarket said:

The GED teacher was shown a photo (which Daya found on his Instagram feed) of younger children he coached.

Oh, like a coach coach (sports)?  Sorry, I forgot that.  It's doubtful Daya could do something to random kids outside, as she's not that powerful.  But Daya turning into a monster, yeah.  So I see your point.

1 minute ago, CrystalBlue said:

Oh, like a coach coach (sports)?  Sorry, I forgot that.  It's doubtful Daya could do something to random kids outside, as she's not that powerful.  But Daya turning into a monster, yeah.  So I see your point.

I believe it was kids playing soccer. I guess the teacher was hedging his bets that Daya could wield enough influence on the outside. He wouldn't know that she was basically a poser. In his mind, she's a serious thug with cred and low friends on the outside.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

It was Little League baseball.  Daya gave the instructor the phone number of an outside source to call and get contraband that he would smuggle into the prison.  These items would be delivered to him while he coached his kids in the Flatbush part of NYC.  I took this as a real threat against the guy and his children.  Tastee, at least, considered Daya a reliable source of illegal goods, so Daya must have had an associate on the outside.  The only question is whether said associate would have been willing to kill a child.  

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

oh Cindy. Please please please go back. She is so intelligent and could really make a decent future for herself and help Monica process all this and keep HER out of trouble. Not to mention she looked great too.

I hate what happened to the GED teacher. Man I really liked dumb ole Daya in the beginning of this show. Worst character turn EVER.

I have a feeling Lorna is so out of it now she's going to end up hurting someone and end up in prison for life.

• Love 3

Oh Cindy no! Everything was going so well, she was getting along with her family, she nailed that job interview, and even when the secret came out, her mom didn't toss her out, she wanted her to stay and work things out, but she ran when the situation started to get tough again. Go back Cindy!

Lorna is probably the most dangerous of the Lichfield inmates, because her mental illness is really easy to hide, to the point that not even she really realizes what she is doing most of the time, and she can hurt random people without even realizing what she is doing. With Suzanne, its obvious right away that this a person who needs help, but Lorna mostly comes off like any person you might know (albeit an excitable and pretty racist one) until she gets stuck in her delusions and hurts someone. So did she actually escape? Because that makes this a super easy prison to escape from! 

Daya really has become such a horrible person, now going after the poor GED teacher and threatening the kids he coaches. I assume that Daya must have some criminal connections on the outside if she keeps getting drugs in, so I dont blame him for running for it, but it really sucks. He was really doing good work with the women, especially Tiffany. 

Wow, Piper really learned stuff in her shop classes! That was a nice moment between her and her dad, maybe he will keep her around even after copying is done? The other women in the office seem to like her and dont mind that she was in jail, maybe she could do maintenance or something? She does still have skills and a degree, a felony doesn't change that.

Edited by tennisgurl
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Wow, Piper really learned stuff in her shop classes! That was a nice moment between her and her dad, maybe he will keep her around even after copying is done? The other women in the office seem to like her and dont mind that she was in jail, maybe she could do maintenance or something? She does still have skills and a degree, a felony doesn't change that.

Yes, who knew that Luschek was actually good for something!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Which begs the question: why wasn't she looking for work using those skills? Around here, there is a real shortage of available contractors to do electrical work and other small jobs and Piper could probably get hired at a good wage, working days (no curfew conflicts), and also have flexible hours, and not be stuck doing boring, low paid work scanning documents on a fixed schedule that prevents her from visiting her wife!

• Love 2
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

Which begs the question: why wasn't she looking for work using those skills? Around here, there is a real shortage of available contractors to do electrical work and other small jobs and Piper could probably get hired at a good wage, working days (no curfew conflicts), and also have flexible hours, and not be stuck doing boring, low paid work scanning documents on a fixed schedule that prevents her from visiting her wife!

Would that even be an option though? Not sure about NY but where I live you can't provide electrical services to people without being a licensed electrician. 

• Love 5

On Lorna's flashback, I just didn't buy the accident.  Of course the couple wasn't wearing seatbelts, which was convenient, but even so, they would have had to be flying down that street to go through the windshield.  It looked like they were going twenty at impact.

• Love 3

There is no amount of suspension of disbelief that makes the accident that Lorna "caused" plausible.  Only in movies/TV does a person lose visibility out the windshield (excessive rain or mud, "crack in the glass") and the person cuts the wheel like an idiot.  The car wasn't going fast enough for the heel to cause that much damage.  Also, had plenty of time to brake and not come close to hitting Lorna.  Also, not going so fast that they both died and the passenger launched out the window.  At worst, they would have had broken bones (nose, collar bone, sternum) and the windshield cracked from the inside.  And, of course, it's the couple she knew from earlier that night that got engaged.  Should have come up with something else because it wasn't remotely believable.  Guess writers expect the tragedy of the accident to have viewers hand-wave the stupidity of it all.

Edited by PsychoDrone
  • Love 5
On 8/5/2019 at 11:53 AM, Absurda said:

My take was Lorna's flashback was supposed to be showing us the beginning of her mental problems, but they didn't really do a very good job of putting it in context. 

I did not get what was going on at all.  Did she know those people who were engaged?  Where did she get the gym shoes?  How did her "causing" an (implausible) accident lead to her totally forgetting her entire night??  I don't think it would cause the break from reality that she has experienced.  None of this makes any sense.

On 8/9/2019 at 8:05 AM, queenbee24 said:

oh Cindy. Please please please go back. She is so intelligent and could really make a decent future for herself and help Monica process all this and keep HER out of trouble. Not to mention she looked great too.

Ehhh is she intelligent?  She tends to have a good rapport with people, but I would not call her intelligent.  I haven't liked her from her first flashback, and I don't like what she did to tastee but it would have been nice for her to finally get things right.

On 8/15/2019 at 7:06 PM, heatherchandler said:

I did not get what was going on at all.  Did she know those people who were engaged?  Where did she get the gym shoes?  How did her "causing" an (implausible) accident lead to her totally forgetting her entire night??  I don't think it would cause the break from reality that she has experienced.  None of this makes any sense.

I don't think she knew them, just hitting the guy with her pool stick and then hearing about their engagement. They saw her walking and were likely to stop and give her a ride.   I think while the accident is a bit far-fetched it just shows what maybe led to her first mental break and how she refuses to see reality when things get bad.

The shoes likely came from the store she stopped back in where she had left her phone and purse. Her heel broke (right before the car pulled up) so instead of thinking about the accident her brain became more focused on finding new shoes. She had the receipt in her pocket which is how she found her way back there. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Dmarie019 said:

I don't think she knew them, just hitting the guy with her pool stick and then hearing about their engagement. They saw her walking and were likely to stop and give her a ride.   I think while the accident is a bit far-fetched it just shows what maybe led to her first mental break and how she refuses to see reality when things get bad.

The shoes likely came from the store she stopped back in where she had left her phone and purse. Her heel broke (right before the car pulled up) so instead of thinking about the accident her brain became more focused on finding new shoes. She had the receipt in her pocket which is how she found her way back there. 

I didn't notice the receipt, but ok that makes sense. 

The writing (IMO) has been AWFUL these last few seasons.  I can't follow storylines, I am lost half the time. 

Edited by heatherchandler
On 9/9/2019 at 3:41 PM, heatherchandler said:

I didn't notice the receipt, but ok that makes sense. 

The writing (IMO) has been AWFUL these last few seasons.  I can't follow storylines, I am lost half the time. 

Yea it was a very quick shot so I could see how that entire scene doesn't make sense if you didn't see it. Their story lines are always so jumpy - I can usually multi-task when watching shows but not this one. 

• Love 1

I like that they made the show complex enough that I wasn't bored if I didn't multitask. There's plenty to watch that's light and easy to catch in the background. Sometimes I want something that deserves my full attention.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 4