Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Chapter Seven: The Bite

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, SeanC said:

Maya Hawke looks so much like a young Winona that it has actively become distracting to me while watching her scenes.

Don't see not have I noticed how much she looks and sounds like her father either. Not getting. I feel like knowing that's Ethan Hawke's daughter is projecting things on to her for some. On the Winona side, she's not as striking as a young Winona was. Can't really think of anyone who looked quite like her.

• Love 2

I was really disappointed that Robin turned out to be a lesbian because I was also shipping them, but I'm glad that Steve has a real friend who is his own age. My only issue with Robin is that she just doesn't FEEL like someone from the 1980's- she feels really 1990's, but that might be on purpose. And I'm probably also just projecting because her parents really bring out the 90's nostalgia in me.

I'm a pretty big Back to the Future fan so I absolutely loved the placement that the movie got.

• Love 5
(edited)

I had read about New Coke coming up in the show in some way, but that bit went on way too long especially given the situation they were in. I get that Netflix wants ad money without ad interruptions, but that was really awkward.

Edited by krankydoodle
  • Love 12
26 minutes ago, krankydoodle said:

I had read about New Coke coming up in the show in some way, but that bit went on way too long especially given the situation they were in. I get that Netflix wants ad money without ad interruptions, but that was really awkward.

It was weird, especially considering that we’ve seen tons of cans of it throughout the season, yet was only now being discussed of some liking it, some not. 

Poor Alexei! He was so cute. Reminded me of my favorite professor at LSU. I knew that big bad Russian guy was wearing vest. Always finish with a head shot! Loved Hopper squishing that thing that came out of El’s leg.

RIP Alexei, Russian characters on TV and movies are either are scary or cute and you were a great example of the latter.

On 7/4/2019 at 11:50 AM, SeanC said:

Maya Hawke looks so much like a young Winona that it has actively become distracting to me while watching her scenes.

On 7/4/2019 at 7:09 PM, Racj82 said:

Don't see not have I noticed how much she looks and sounds like her father either. Not getting. I feel like knowing that's Ethan Hawke's daughter is projecting things on to her for some. On the Winona side, she's not as striking as a young Winona was. Can't really think of anyone who looked quite like her.

To me there were moments the last few episodes that I felt like I was watching the Kill Bill movies again! Maya looks and sounds so much like her mother.

Count me in as also disappointed that the Steve and Robin ship has sunk. Don't get me wrong I'm glad there's LGBT representation on the show but Joe Keery and Maya Hawke had such fantastic chemistry!

God the episode makes me want to see Back to the Future on the big screen.

• Love 3
(edited)

I have been blessed with really excellent hearing so I often hear things that no one else does (even when there are other loud noises happening at the same time), which is why I totally related to Nancy when she stopped and said, "Do you hear that?" and Jonathan said it was just the fireworks. NOPE.

When the kids realized the Mind Flayer knew where they were, I thought man, Hopper is going to be so mad if that cabin gets trashed!

I know that stoned/drunk teenagers is a movie cliche but Steve and Robin were hilarious.

I'm glad that Steve admitted how awesome Robin is. I want them to be BFFs (and keep hanging out with Dustin).

Loved all the snippets of Back to the Future that we got to see!

I loved seeing Alexei win that carnival game. He was so proud of himself for winning that giant Woody Woodpecker. I'm glad he got that moment of happiness before he was killed. RIP Alexei - I hope you're enjoying unlimited cherry Slurpees in the afterlife.

I laughed so hard when Joyce went back just to punch Mayor Kline.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 21

That was great. Now everything is really coming together. I loved the reunion at the end with everyone.

So, I did think briefly earlier in the season that Robin could be a lesbian, but even with this reveal, I was still surprised. Yet, I actually loved the reveal and loved Steve's response to it. They just need to be best friends forever and ever. Robin is still a fantastic addition and I loved her finding out about Eleven's superpowers. 

The scenes with the Mind Flayer were terrifying. Poor El now has part of it in her leg.

Poor Alexei. I figured he would have to die, but he was starting to become a really cool character. I guess Murray doesn't have his new best friend anymore. And I see they're really ramping up to Joyce/Hopper. 

I loved the Back to the Future clips and the New Coke stuff. And yes, Lucas, I think your fireworks plan could work. 

• Love 9
On 7/4/2019 at 1:50 PM, SeanC said:

She may look like Winona, but she sounds exactly like her mom.

• Love 5

I wouldn't have had any idea about Hawke if it hadn't been brought up. I'm very committed to not knowing these things prior to watching shows. 

She doing a great job. It e kind of sad where she couldn't out right tell Steve but it was also really funny that it took him a good 30 seconds to process - But she's a girl................ Oooooh 

• Love 7

Alexei 😞 No. He looked so happy at the fair.

Loved the reunion with Dustin and Steve with the others. 😍

I dont mind Robin being a lesbian I just wish Steve would find someone who loves him. But him and Robin being best friends would be great.

• Love 10
(edited)

I've just gotta say - between the carnival and the mall food court, I'm just a little disappointed that nobody ended up defending themselves with boiling corn dog oil.

oh and also, RIP Alexei. Phillip Jennings’s even cuter but more clueless brother?

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

oh and also, RIP Alexei. Phillip Jennings’s even cuter but more clueless brother?

I have to say I did notice the resemblance!  Also it was like he was killed by the male version of Elizabeth!

1 hour ago, Cranberry said:

I think it's awesome that Steve has an age-appropriate BFF and that she's a girl who likes him for who he is and not because she's attracted to him. 

There's that great moment at the end of Saturday Night Fever where Stephanie asks Tony Manero "Could you be friends with a girl? Could you stand that? and Tony says "The truth? I don't know. I could try. That's all I can say." The sequel Staying Alive which came out six years later answers that question: No he cannot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

EW.com:

Stranger Things 3: The Duffer Brothers and Maya Hawke discuss Robin's big reveal
Excerpt:

Hawke says that Robin’s coming out was always planned, but it was just about finding the appropriate moment for the character. “We were talking about it throughout [shooting],” says the actress, who also happens to be the daughter of Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke. “It wasn’t definitive. It was a kind of discussion between myself and the writers’ room and the Duffer Brothers and [executive producer] Shawn [Levy]. We were trying to find what was right for Robin and right for the journey and right for the show. But that ended up being my favorite scene to film.”

Adds Matt Duffer, “Maya and Joe spent a long time rehearsing it, not with us. They just went in and worked on it, like workshopped the scene on their own, and then they came and delivered. It was just one of those things that resonated with everybody on the crew. Some scenes you go, ‘I hope that works in the edit room.’ You get it to work. That scene worked on the day, in the edit room — it’s never not worked.”

The scene worked so well that the Duffers didn’t cut a single line of Hawke’s. Says Ross Duffer, “That’s what’s fun about TV: You can put on the brakes for a second and explore these characters and miss all this other blockbuster action playing out.”

• Love 12

There is way too much shticky bickering and slapstick humor with Hopper and Joyce this season. Sad that these characters have been reduced to comedic relief. I mean, Joyce always had moments like this in prior seasons, but this is over the top.

• Love 15

Hawke's Hollywood reporter interview was good, too (contains spoilers for the finale, so don't click if you haven't watched). No spoilers in this excerpt: 

"The great thing about Stranger Things is it has such a reach and so many people watch it in the middle of the country. Even a little gesture like having a gay character is a big deal," Hawke tells The Hollywood Reporter. "It feels wonderful to have a piece of that humanity involved in this giant action-packed drama. It's such an amazing thing the Duffer Brothers did, stopping the whole show — there's an action scene going on [elsewhere in the episode] — and it stops for a seven-minute conversation between two people who really care about each other. It's a really beautiful thing. I feel really lucky that I got to play that."

"Robin starts the season with a lot of hard walls," she says about Robin's journey. "The more she gets involved with this mystery, the more herself she becomes. The reason she has all these hard walls is that she doesn't feel like she fits in. She feels like an odd one out. She's gay, and nobody knows that. There's a lot she's bored by, and there's a lot she's too nervous to express about herself that makes a person put up a lot of walls. But once these other characters start to reveal themselves to her, and once she gets to be on the front of a mission, her personality really comes through because she feels like herself. She can use her abilities, and she can be useful, and nothing makes a person feel better than being useful."

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Cthulhudrew said:

There is way too much shticky bickering and slapstick humor with Hopper and Joyce this season. Sad that these characters have been reduced to comedic relief. I mean, Joyce always had moments like this in prior seasons, but this is over the top.

There was no place for that kind of more lighthearted romcom stuff between Joyce and Hopper in previous seasons because Joyce was either worried over her missing son, or her son suffering from PTSD/demonic possession. Back then it was serious business with a mom being genuinely worried for her son. This season everything the kids are safe but her place of business is practically dead, she's still sad about Bob so the magnets is more a distraction from that as she drags along the chief of police who she has a "Will They or Won't They?" thing much like Sam and Diane on Cheers she was watching. All the repressed feelings built up between them they kept during the serious stuff in past season came out during their little adventure.

• Love 6
(edited)

I’m not gonna lie, I was seriously starting to ship Robin and Steve, but now I want them to be best friends instead. Her coming out and his reaction were so sweet!  I’ve really liked having her around, and it’s great that Steve has a friend who’s his own age, as most of his high school friends were pretty awful. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 14
On 7/6/2019 at 2:10 AM, VCRTracking said:

RIP Alexei, Russian characters on TV and movies are either are scary or cute and you were a great example of the latter.

To me there were moments the last few episodes that I felt like I was watching the Kill Bill movies again! Maya looks and sounds so much like her mother.

Count me in as also disappointed that the Steve and Robin ship has sunk. Don't get me wrong I'm glad there's LGBT representation on the show but Joe Keery and Maya Hawke had such fantastic chemistry!

Maya Hawks looks and sounds so much like Uma - and I totally agree about Kill Bill. It popped into my head a few times watching this ep and others. She was a great addition, and I really loved Sadie Sink this season, too. 

By the end of the first season of this show I begrudgingly enjoyed Steve as a character - now he’s my favorite. He does comedy so well, and there is just something about the kid that makes him seem just plain nice. I was really expecting to hate the bathroom scene when it started, then it wound up being a delight. 

I cannot get enough of Hopper in that shirt. 

• Love 2

Oh, now, this was a good one!

RIP Alexei.  Poor bastard.  He went out a happy note though.

Of course there had to be a shootout at a fun house with mirrors.  Sigh.  But I did like the sight gag of seeing (and hearing) Hopper slide down that crazy tube slide.

I am kinda disappointed in the evolution of the Hopper/Joyce storyline.  Of the various storylines, I think their's is ultimately going to come out the weakest of the four when all is said and done.  And I think they both have been written out of character as the show went on.

Also I can wander around a county fairground during fair season forever looking for my kids and yet those Russians managed to keep coming across Hopper and Joyce in a nanosecond.

I like that Lucas is thinking of back up power for El.  Yes, she can hurt and possibly kill that thing, but each time they've come head-to-head with it, she's needed help.  I loved seeing how Nancy and Jonathan stepped right the fuck up.  Him with the axe and her with the shotgun.  They are back in their wheelhouse.  This is a nice call back to the similar scene in S1.

I am actually kinda glad they went where they did with Robin and making her a lesbian.  For once they didn't got the obvious route and pair her off with Steve romantically. 

Erica and Dustin continue to be really good scene partners.

That reunion in the mall was everything.  Robin is so out of the loop, poor dear.  I love how Dustin and Steve were all 'El has superpowers' and "she threw it with her mind' as if to say it was no biggee and to keep up with the program.  LOL.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, ch1 said:

Same.  

In the same group, I'm wondering if it just feels too OTT, the Hopper and Joyce dynamic especially feels contrived this season, albeit, pandering, the whole 'they bicker and fight and it's adorable!!' schtick was so much more subtle, genuine and realistic in the other seasons but here it feels so overblown and unnatural, that they're doing it just because they think that's what fans want. Murray repeating the 'just share the damn bed/get it over with already' speech is sorta proof of that. 

• Love 10
52 minutes ago, dju said:

In the same group, I'm wondering if it just feels too OTT, the Hopper and Joyce dynamic especially feels contrived this season, albeit, pandering, the whole 'they bicker and fight and it's adorable!!' schtick was so much more subtle, genuine and realistic in the other seasons but here it feels so overblown and unnatural, that they're doing it just because they think that's what fans want. Murray repeating the 'just share the damn bed/get it over with already' speech is sorta proof of that. 

Ugh, I hated the Murray speech.  I was also not a fan at what a blowhard Hopper was all season and he was a serious ass to Joyce.  How about letting Joyce deal with seeing her previous boyfriend get eaten in her own timeframe?

I think they were going for comedy but I think they missed the mark.  I understand they are paying homage to the 80s but not every damn thing has to be taken from something else.  Hell they definitely weren’t subtle with Joyce and Bob watching Cheers.

• Love 11
50 minutes ago, ch1 said:

I think they were going for comedy but I think they missed the mark.  I understand they are paying homage to the 80s but not every damn thing has to be taken from something else.  Hell they definitely weren’t subtle with Joyce and Bob watching Cheers.

This. 

The only thing missing was the declaratively angry, "Are you as turned on as I am?" "More!" kiss between Hopper and Joyce. 🙄

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, dju said:

I didn't mind most of the Hopper/Joyce bickering, since I think it does serve a purpose beyond just fan service. Joyce's arc is about working past her lingering feelings for Bob; it's not just a silly plot point that she becomes obsessed with a technological riddle that a nerd like Bob could've helped her solve, and ends up standing up Hopper to brainstorm with Scott Clarke. And Hopper's is about accepting that he doesn't have to be the manly caretaker who looks after the Byers' safety all by himself, that Joyce is more than capable of standing up for herself and her family.

I do agree, though, that Murray's speech is a bridge too far, spelling out their romantic issues far too literally. It also retroactively diminishes his speech to Nancy and Jonathan in season 2. My impression at the time was that Murray was going to so much trouble to hook up Jonathan and Nancy because he saw himself in Nancy -- "These people, they're not wired like me and you, okay? They don't spend their lives trying to get a look at what's behind the curtain" -- and was trying to get her to embrace the brutal honesty he thought she was hungry for. But now it just seems like he plays exasperated matchmaker with everyone, so the fact that he did it for Nancy doesn't mean anything in particular.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 7/6/2019 at 3:08 PM, backhometome said:

I dont mind Robin being a lesbian I just wish Steve would find someone who loves him. But him and Robin being best friends would be great.

I kind of want to see him try and give her the same kind of meeting women  advice he gave Dustin last year. Or just some scene with them helping each other with their dating lives.

On 7/6/2019 at 2:10 AM, VCRTracking said:

I never saw Bttf in theatre but there was a poster for one of my other favorite movies that I did see in theatres in 1985, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, in the mall so that was cool.

On 7/6/2019 at 4:14 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Battling killer monsters from another dimension will grow you the fuck up.

It will also probably get rid of any isolated small town ideals/predjudices you might have pretty fast too.

The fight in the fun house was cool, although come on Hopper you should have aimed for the head. Although  I just realized the guy wearing a vest was a Doc Brown, Back to the Future reference.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 2
On 7/4/2019 at 6:29 PM, TwoBitUsherette said:

Not gonna lie, I was totally shipping Robin and Steve until that bathroom stall scene. Now I just want them to be best friends forever. But I do hope by the time this show is over Steve will find someone to love who actually loves him back (romantically speaking).

I was shipping them too (and I rarely do that), but his reaction was so sweet. His making her feel comfortable, instead of getting upset. 

I think they made Hopper over the top this season, but I haven't re-watched the first two seasons, so I can't remember if he was always that way. 

• Love 8
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 3:17 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I laughed so hard when Joyce went back just to punch Mayor Kline.

Then she kneed him in the groin lol.

Even though Steve doesn't get the girl :-(  I hope Robin sticks around.

I could do without the overhead shot of puking in the toilets. But I laughed when Dustin busted in and said "what the hell." 

That scene with the car in the mall was so bad ass, it reminded me of when El flipped that van in season 1.

Oh, and nice driving Nancy, those big cars don't handle like todays cars so her spinning it around like she did in front of the store was awesome.

Yay, the gang is back together and kicking ass! Can't wait to see what they do with the fireworks and I hope they get that thing out of Eleven's leg.

Love Back to the Future!

On to the next.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

That scene with the car in the mall was so bad ass, it reminded me of when El flipped that van in season 1.

I liked how for some of the people there a car flipping over on its own was the craziest thing they had seen so far, but for the rest it was just their friend El with the super powers and it was no big deal.

I also thought the scene at the beginning with Nancy's parents and sister on top of the ferris wheel was really well done. It was effective and creepy and the dad's pants were hilarious.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I also thought the scene at the beginning with Nancy's parents and sister on top of the ferris wheel was really well done. It was effective and creepy and the dad's pants were hilarious.

That scene reminded of Jurassic Park 2 when Malcolm his daughter and another guy are sitting high in this lift thing and they see the trees moving when the T-Rex are coming.

The scariest ride I ever went on at a Fair was a double Ferris Wheel, especially when we were on top and it stopped. We were so high up, hated every freaking minute, I couldn't move I was so scared it was going to tip backwards and I would fall out.

On 7/7/2019 at 12:54 AM, Cthulhudrew said:

Couldn't agree more.  It's really taking away my enjoyment of the show as a whole, and that makes me really sad.  It might not be so ridiculous if they hadn't already had some bonding moments which felt like they could have led to more - not only at the beginning of this season, but in prior seasons as well - and if Hopper hadn't already frigging asked her out on a date like three episodes ago.  The WHAT DO YOU MEAN ROMANTICALLY INTERESTED IN HER, I WOULD NEVER?!! all of a sudden makes no sense at all, and is really jarring, and feels way too much like 'Remember how the leads in shows in the 80s couldn't get together until the last minute of the last episode and it was the greatest? Do ya? DO YA?'  Ugh.

On 7/7/2019 at 11:38 AM, SoWindsor said:

I’m not particularly enjoying this season and I’m not sure why exactly.

Yeah, I have to agree, and I'm really upset about it.  The storyline is bouncing around all over the place and nobody is really treating the threat seriously.

• Love 4

I can safely say that I did not see Robin being a lesbian coming at all.  Really thought that Steve/Robin was happening, but that certainly got torpedoed!  Nice one, show.  Maya Hawke did an excellent job during the reveal, and has really proven herself to be a great addition in general.  I did like that it took Steve a good few moments to really process it, but eventually came around, and even joked around with her about that crush.  I do hope the fellow eventually finds love though.

I also loved that Dustin basically had to be the grown-up throughout all of the Scoops Ahoy stuff, with Robin and Steve being drugged and loopy, while Erica was her normal snarky self.  They grow up so fast!

Totally knew that "the bite" was going to have some lasting implications.  At least Eleven was able to get her badass "toss a vehicle" moment in before passing out!

Mike's overlong attempt to basically say that he loves Eleven without actually saying the "love" part, was classic teenage boy antics!

Joyce and Hopper really have become almost like a sitcom couple, which doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the show.

Loved the reunion!

Can't wait to see how this all ends!

• Love 7

I could do without the overhead shot of puking in the toilets. But I laughed when Dustin busted in and said "what the hell." 

I agree, that was a really gross shot. Honestly, for me it was way grosser then the people turning into blobs.

The scene with in the mall was great. I love the groups finally getting together and the car flipping scene.  Which of course followed with "oh yeah, that's our friend with super powers".  And I didn't see that twist with Robin coming, I was hoping they'd get together. I do hope they stay friends and she's in next season (assuming there is one).

I was sad about the Russian Scientist but I kind knew he was going to be a goner at some point.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

That scene reminded of Jurassic Park 2 when Malcolm his daughter and another guy are sitting high in this lift thing and they see the trees moving when the T-Rex are coming.

It reminded me of the pilot epsode of Lost where the castaways are looking into the jungle from the beach and the smoke monster is making noises and knocking down trees.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

It reminded me of the pilot epsode of Lost where the castaways are looking into the jungle from the beach and the smoke monster is making noises and knocking down trees.

Oh yeah, your right. How could I forget that scene in Lost, so good.

• Love 1
On 7/9/2019 at 9:25 PM, foxfreakinmulder said:

The thinking in Hollywood these days is that people love to see other people puking. So they throw in unnecessary scenes of puking because this is what  people want to see, they think.  Well, yeah .... if the person is like an 11 year old boy. No one else wants to see puking, people!! get that through your heads!!

• Love 12
On 7/9/2019 at 10:22 PM, Taryn74 said:

Couldn't agree more.  It's really taking away my enjoyment of the show as a whole, and that makes me really sad.  It might not be so ridiculous if they hadn't already had some bonding moments which felt like they could have led to more - not only at the beginning of this season, but in prior seasons as well - and if Hopper hadn't already frigging asked her out on a date like three episodes ago.  The WHAT DO YOU MEAN ROMANTICALLY INTERESTED IN HER, I WOULD NEVER?!! all of a sudden makes no sense at all, and is really jarring, and feels way too much like 'Remember how the leads in shows in the 80s couldn't get together until the last minute of the last episode and it was the greatest? Do ya? DO YA?'  Ugh.

Yeah, I have to agree, and I'm really upset about it.  The storyline is bouncing around all over the place and nobody is really treating the threat seriously.

Part of it is I have to think is David Harbour is such a big dude and Winona Ryder is so tiny. It used to be the extreme size difference was a cute and funny visual but now when they start really getting into heated fights it's unsettling. Hopper can be a scary guy sometimes. In the DVD commentary for The Incredibles where Brad Bird said it was uncomfortable animating the scene of Bob and Helen arguing because he towers over her and it wasn't until they realized she could stretch and be bigger than him that it felt okay. When El and Hopper had that big fight in the cabin in season 2 it was meant to be hard to watch but Eleven had powers where she could hurt him back and was even more dangerous because she's killed before. We know Hopper would never physically hurt Joyce but still he does have a big temper and is quick to violence.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Part of it is I have to think is David Harbour is such a big dude and Winona Ryder is so tiny. It used to be the extreme size difference was a cute and funny visual but now when they start really getting into heated fights it's unsettling. Hopper can be a scary guy sometimes. In the DVD commentary for The Incredibles where Brad Bird said it was uncomfortable animating the scene of Bob and Helen arguing because he towers over her and it wasn't until they realized she could stretch and be bigger than him that it felt okay. When El and Hopper had that big fight in the cabin in season 2 it was meant to be hard to watch but Eleven had powers where she could hurt him back and was even more dangerous because she's killed before. We know Hopper would never physically hurt Joyce but still he does have a big temper and is quick to violence.

Interesting perspective!