Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Chapter Seven: The Bite

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Pat Hoolihan said:

The thinking in Hollywood these days is that people love to see other people puking. So they throw in unnecessary scenes of puking because this is what  people want to see, they think.  Well, yeah .... if the person is like an 11 year old boy. No one else wants to see puking, people!! get that through your heads!!

Eh, not my favorite, but I'd take it any day over potential dismemberment and other threats with "medical" devices.  I had to FF through some of that stuff.

On 7/6/2019 at 8:53 AM, AimingforYoko said:

She may look like Winona, but she sounds exactly like her mom.

It's freaky how much her voice sounds exactly like Uma's! However I don't think she actually resembles either one of her parents. Not really seeing much of Uma or Ethan in her features. I realized she reminds me a lot of the actress Zoe Kazan - they are far apart in age, but they look like they could be related.

13 hours ago, Pat Hoolihan said:

No one else wants to see puking, people!! get that through your heads!!

Amen! That scene bothered me way more than the exploding rats, and the slime monster sequences!

• Love 3

I loved this episode. I love this season. The story has been really great and spooky and gory, but the meat of it has included a lot of character development.

I wish I could say I was surprised about Robin or even that I figured it out, but there were like 3 articles about "that character's sexuality" or introducing an LGBT character pushed to me, all of which were paired with pictures of Steve and Robin. This is what I hate about streaming. You get spoilers if you don't stream the entire season (an impossibility with a young kid and not how I prefer to watch). 

Nonetheless, I loved the entire scene. It felt so organic and right. I loved Steve's reaction. Even though I know there were some shippers, the show is already paired off enough in my opinion and I love the establishment of this firmly in the friend arena. I also love that Robin could represent character development for Steve on the relationship front without them ever dating. He went from being all about Nancy, who he honestly didn't even know, to having a more meaningful relationship and understanding what matters in a relationship (a friend in this case). 

The entire sequence of them drugged up was hilarious and actually well done. They were so annoying and self centered and giggly in that way that is 100% recognizable if you have corralled your drink friends into the car. 

The horror sequences felt like throwbacks in the most amazing way. The cabin? The funhouse? They definitely felt like throwbacks to some of the 80s and 90s horror tropes. 

I loved Alexei and was really bummed to lose him. The actor has the best smile, and it made it really hard to watch him go from victory to being shot. 

I guess I am in the minority, but I have enjoyed Hopper and Joyce as a team. Joyce has been given so much more to work with this year, including finding some assertiveness that is fun to watch. I like them as a team, and I even didn't mind the direct scene in the car. Hopper is so clearly insecure about Joyce and it was a good way to get them past that hurdle.

Obviously, the scene in the mall was amazing. Loved that Erica still didn't believe her brother could be involved. 

• Love 7
On 7/4/2019 at 12:16 PM, bettername2come said:

That reunion scene  at the end was everything I could have dreamed of. 

I may have had damp eyes and a clogged throat - with a big grin on my face.

On 7/6/2019 at 8:10 AM, Lady Calypso said:

So, I did think briefly earlier in the season that Robin could be a lesbian, but even with this reveal, I was still surprised. Yet, I actually loved the reveal and loved Steve's response to it. They just need to be best friends forever and ever. Robin is still a fantastic addition and I loved her finding out about Eleven's superpowers.

I thought it was a brilliant scene, and loved both characters the more for it. Steve may not have a girlfriend at the moment, but he's got quite a collection of unique friends.

On 7/9/2019 at 6:25 PM, foxfreakinmulder said:

I could do without the overhead shot of puking in the toilets. But I laughed when Dustin busted in and said "what the hell."

Compared with the excessive puking I've seen on so many shows, this one was pretty kind to the viewer, in my opinion. Even the overhead shot was only a little disgusting (comparatively). I'm not sure what the deal is with all the puking on tv these days.

I'm not as crazy about the show this season either, but I think, for me, it's more that the stakes seem so high, and the people (especially the kids) so endangered - and physically hurt -  that I'm a lot more tense. I think with other seasons I've just assumed everything will turn out fine and it was just a thrill ride. This season, I don't have the same confidence. (yes, I know Bob died last year, but that was telegraphed pretty early on, imo)

• Love 1
On 7/4/2019 at 10:09 PM, Racj82 said:
On 7/4/2019 at 2:50 PM, SeanC said:

Maya Hawke looks so much like a young Winona that it has actively become distracting to me while watching her scenes.

Don't see not have I noticed how much she looks and sounds like her father either. Not getting. I feel like knowing that's Ethan Hawke's daughter is projecting things on to her for some. On the Winona side, she's not as striking as a young Winona was. Can't really think of anyone who looked quite like her.

A few posters compared Maya to a young Winona, apparently assuming that Winona is her mother. Just want to make sure everyone knows that Maya's mother is Uma Thurman, who looks nothing like Winona (young or older). For the record, I don't see much of a resemblance between Maya and either of her parents, not that it matters.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SeanC said:
3 hours ago, Paloma said:

A few posters compared Maya to a young Winona, apparently assuming that Winona is her mother. 

I know who her mother is.

Sorry, I wasn't directing this specifically at you, I just saw a few posts that compared her looks to Winona and it seemed that people either thought that Winona was her mother or just typed the wrong name. Either way, I don't think Maya looks anything like Winona at any age, but others may see the resemblance.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Paloma said:

A few posters compared Maya to a young Winona, apparently assuming that Winona is her mother. Just want to make sure everyone knows that Maya's mother is Uma Thurman, who looks nothing like Winona (young or older). For the record, I don't see much of a resemblance between Maya and either of her parents, not that it matters.

I'm pretty sure most people know. Some people were just making the comparison in general. When you look at Maya I'm interviews you can see the family resemblance in a way I couldn't see on the show.

• Love 1

I honestly don't see much of either of Maya's parents in her features at all. Possibly her smile is a bit like Uma's. However her voice definitely sounds identical to her Mom's. If I were listening to a sound recording of both of them speaking, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart. I only noticed this because I just recently watched a movie starring Uma.

(edited)

Man, poor Alexi, he was so happy at the carnival with his new pal Murray and  even wanted to maybe defect, and then he gets murdered by his own people and died alone in the back of a carnival. I knew he was probably doomed, but it was still awful to watch. 

The big reunion of the two kid groups was everything I wanted! "Lucas?!?" "Erica?!" "She has superpowers, keep up." "The Russians? Its a Red Dawn scenario!" The talk between Mike and El was really cute, especially her big smile when Mike was apologizing. Their awkward teen love is both painful and adorable. Its just great to have everyone in the same plot again in time for the finale, except for the grown ups.

Hop and Joyce really are the Sam and Diane of the midwest. I loved the expression on Hops face when he realized he had to escape Red Terminator by going down the funhouse slide. Like he was thinking "...how in Gods name has this become my life?"

Watching Back To The Future while high on Russian interrogation drugs really must be a serious trip. "...she was Alex P. Keaton's mom? They're the same age!" I said it before and I`ll say it again, I really loved Robin coming out to Steve, and even though I was shipping the crap out of them, their friendship is really sweet and I loved the many beats throughout the scene. The actors were both really great and subtle in their interactions in the scene,     starting with Steve confessing his love and Robin clearly feeling sad that she cant return his feelings, as well as "well, I guess I have to tell him, and then this friendship is over, AND I have to crush his little heart" and Robin being nervous and kind of twitchy as she was trying to lead him to the truth, and Steve first feelings bad hearing about what a dick he used to be, and his realization that Robin is a lesbian, and his acceptance, and them both going back to their happy teasing. 

The continued thread of the Wheelers having no idea where their 13 year old son has gone continues! He could be on a dozen year long mission to Saturn and they would have no clue what he was up to.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The continued thread of the Wheelers having no idea where their 13 year old son has gone continues! He could be on a dozen year long mission to Saturn and they would have no clue what he was up to.

BAHAHA!

"Honey, have you seen Mike recently?"  "Umm, no, I guess it's been a few years since I've seen him.  Does his bed look slept in?"

• LOL 7
On 7/7/2019 at 2:58 PM, ch1 said:

Same.  

I feel the same way.  It doesn't feel like there is anything new here.  There is a slightly different story line but it still comes back to the trying to kill the same thing...again.  There are some new characters which are good but other than that I haven't felt there is anything creative and that's what I thought the Duffer brothers are known for.

• Love 1
On 7/6/2019 at 3:39 PM, Cranberry said:

Not saying anyone here is doing this, but I'm seeing a fair bit of talk online about how Robin should be bisexual so she can be with Steve, and how Steve "deserves" to get the girl because he's been so unlucky in that department, and I think that sucks. No one "deserves" for someone to be their romantic partner just because they develop feelings for them, and strong friendships are not somehow worse or worth less than romantic relationships. I think it's awesome that Steve has an age-appropriate BFF and that she's a girl who likes him for who he is and not because she's attracted to him. 

Anyway, I thought that coming out scene was sweet. This was the 80s, in a small Midwestern town, and she was romantically rejecting him. That could have gone so wrong, but his response was absolutely perfect. I can't believe how much I love Steve now; he's come so far since he called Jonathan a queer in season one.

On 7/7/2019 at 9:37 PM, Cthulhudrew said:

The only thing missing was the declaratively angry, "Are you as turned on as I am?" "More!" kiss between Hopper and Joyce. 🙄

Oh God, I LOVED that episode! I taped it on our Beta VCR! "You disgust me. I hate you." And "Sam and I have decided to traverse the fall line of our aloneness." And "Oh, Mr. Jammers!" So many great lines! God, I miss Coach.

On 7/7/2019 at 10:04 PM, Dev F said:

I do agree, though, that Murray's speech is a bridge too far, spelling out their romantic issues far too literally. It also retroactively diminishes his speech to Nancy and Jonathan in season 2. My impression at the time was that Murray was going to so much trouble to hook up Jonathan and Nancy because he saw himself in Nancy -- "These people, they're not wired like me and you, okay? They don't spend their lives trying to get a look at what's behind the curtain" -- and was trying to get her to embrace the brutal honesty he thought she was hungry for. But now it just seems like he plays exasperated matchmaker with everyone, so the fact that he did it for Nancy doesn't mean anything in particular.

Murray's speech would've been fine had this been the first time. But frankly, I was grossed out by Murray's speech to Nancy and Jonathan last season. It is not appropriate for an adult to be urging teenagers to have sex. I was a cohort of Nancy--I remember being her age in the '80s. I had no problem watching (at least some) teens in movies have sex. I remember watching All the Right Moves and arguing with a friend that Lea Thompson's character seemed to be in love with Tom Cruise's character and that was the right choice for her. But not all of us were having sex as teens in the '80s and even those who were, the adults need to mind their business. Nancy waking up at Jonathan's (at the beginning of the season) is off. Adults weren't that oblivious. 

On 7/10/2019 at 3:49 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Mike's overlong attempt to basically say that he loves Eleven without actually saying the "love" part, was classic teenage boy antics!

That was adorable. Poor Mike, stammering through that...

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Murray's speech would've been fine had this been the first time. But frankly, I was grossed out by Murray's speech to Nancy and Jonathan last season. It is not appropriate for an adult to be urging teenagers to have sex.

I get that -- and I think it's another way the repetition this season actually retroactively makes the previous matchmaking scene much worse. If the point is that Murray identifies with Nancy, and he's telling her what he wishes someone had told him when he was younger, it's a lot less prurient than if he's just like, "Oh, here are two people in front of me. I should try to talk them into fucking each other, even though they're like sixteen." Though, I admit, even my more flattering original reading requires the fairly large leap of logic that a hard-drinking forty-year-old newspaperman would identify so strongly with a buttoned-down high school girl.

Honestly, if I had a magic wand I could wave and change one small thing about Stranger Things, I'd be sorely tempted to use it to make Murray into a female character. I like Brett Gelman and think he's fun in the role, but his whole shtick would make a lot more sense if the character were, like, Kristen Schaal as nutty Maria Bauman, who sees in Nancy her own past battles against the old boys' club and encourages her to go get yours, girl.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Dev F said:

I get that -- and I think it's another way the repetition this season actually retroactively makes the previous matchmaking scene much worse. If the point is that Murray identifies with Nancy, and he's telling her what he wishes someone had told him when he was younger, it's a lot less prurient than if he's just like, "Oh, here are two people in front of me. I should try to talk them into fucking each other, even though they're like sixteen." Though, I admit, even my more flattering original reading requires the fairly large leap of logic that a hard-drinking forty-year-old newspaperman would identify so strongly with a buttoned-down high school girl.

Honestly, if I had a magic wand I could wave and change one small thing about Stranger Things, I'd be sorely tempted to use it to make Murray into a female character. I like Brett Gelman and think he's fun in the role, but his whole shtick would make a lot more sense if the character were, like, Kristen Schaal as nutty Maria Bauman, who sees in Nancy her own past battles against the old boys' club and encourages her to go get yours, girl.

See, now I always thought he was identifying with Jonathon (on the loser can't get girls front) and Nancy on the intelligence front. So he just wanted them to meld. 😉

• Love 4

Add me to the list of not really liking this season.  Hopper is way to ...goofy?  I'm not sure that's the right word.  I don't like that he's acting like such a buffoon with everything. That isn't Hopper.  Joyce I can deal with because the previous 2 seasons she was worried about her kids, this season she hasn't had that worry.  They have notched the nostalgia up too much this season, and their trying way too hard to connect to other movies.

The best episodes so far have been the ones the Duffer Brothers DIDN'T write or direct.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 7/11/2019 at 3:42 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Eh, not my favorite, but I'd take it any day over potential dismemberment and other threats with "medical" devices.  I had to FF through some of that stuff.

Me, too. I can't with torture.

I'm also totally grossed out with puking as entertainment, even moreso since my older kid and I got food poisoning on the same night and HE HURLED OFF THE TOP BUNK and I had to attempt to clean up what looked like the explosion of a barf grenade between my own bouts of violent hurling. He is thirteen. He eats like a stevedore. It was Italian food. I failed; and I will spare you the description of what's it's like to try to clean that shit up after 36 hours have elapsed.

Having said that, for me, far worse than the Steve/Robin barf-fest was the EXTENDED CONTACT WITH PUBLIC BATHROOM TOILETS AND FLOORS. Hand-waving the fact that that bathroom appeared cleaner than any mall bathroom has ever or will ever be at any time ever, I was trained that you never touch any public toilet or toilet-adjacent thing with your bare hands or any other bare part of your body. Sure, I've barfed in a public toilet--but I didn't TOUCH it. Or roll all over the floor afterward, gaaaahhhh.

In other news, my shippy heart was broken by that scene, but my friend-shippy heart grew three sizes!! I want love for my beautifully evolving Steve (preferably with Robin as matchmaker because I trust her) and love for Robin, of course--with someone other than "Total Eclipse of the Heart" Tammy, obvs.

Edited by spaceghostess
spelling!
  • Love 9
34 minutes ago, spaceghostess said:

I'm also totally grossed out with puking as entertainment, even moreso since my older kid and I got food poisoning on the same night and HE HURLED OFF THE TOP BUNK and I had to attempt to clean up what looked like the explosion of a barf grenade between my own bouts of violent hurling. He is thirteen. He eats like a stevedore. It was Italian food. I failed; and I will spare you the description of what's it's like to try to clean that shit up after 36 hours has elapsed.

Bahahahahaha!  My youngest one time threw up in bed (he was in the top bunk and threw up toward the wall, so it all ran down the wall and pooled up in the floor) and THOUGHT HE DREAMED IT SO HE WENT BACK TO SLEEP.  I opened the door the next morning to wake them up and just about lost it.  Gaaaaggggggg.  It was bad.  It was so bad.

36 minutes ago, spaceghostess said:

Having said that, for me, far worse than the Steve/Robin barf-fest was the EXTENDED CONTACT WITH PUBLIC BATHROOM TOILETS AND FLOORS. Hand-waving the fact that that bathroom appeared cleaner than any mall bathroom has ever or will ever be at any time ever, I was trained that you never touch any public toilet or toilet-adjacent thing with your bare hands or any other bare part of your body.

Lawd yes.  The way they were just draped all over the toilets, and then sliding around on the floor afterward.  I won't even do that in my own bathroom, much less a public one.  Heaven help me.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, spaceghostess said:

Having said that, for me, far worse than the Steve/Robin barf-fest was the EXTENDED CONTACT WITH PUBLIC BATHROOM TOILETS AND FLOORS. Hand-waving the fact that that bathroom appeared cleaner than any mall bathroom has ever or will ever be at any time ever, I was trained that you never touch any public toilet or toilet-ajacent thing with your bare hands or any other bare part of your body. Sure, I've barfed in a public toilet--but I didn't TOUCH it. Or roll all over the floor afterward, gaaaahhhh.

The vomiting didn't even bother me - it was way less gross than most. But that extended contract - oh man, that really grossed me out. I've hovered over toilet seats all across America and Europe (military brat), actually touching one would drive me crazy. (I always clean up the seat if need be, though - just so you know)

• Love 3

Poor Alexei.  He finally gets his moment of happiness and he gets shot through the literal giant Woody Woodpecker.  The entire small town carnival and fireworks as a set piece was great.  Sure, the shootout in the hall of mirrors has been done plenty of times before, but they still managed to ratchet up the tension nicely concluding with Hopper having to escape out the twisty slide.   So Cary Elwes really did take this role just so every other character could beat the crap out of him all season long?

The fight at the cabin was also nicely done as long as you don't think too hard about the timing of it.  The kids see the thing coming through the trees, Will gets the familiar tingle on the back of his neck, and they still have time to be running around outside and building up their defenses before it ever gets there.  I know the show has a deal with Coke, but Lucas going on and on about liking New Coke while Eleven was trying to focus felt weirdly hamfisted, almost like he was reading ad copy.  Never mind that New Coke was terrible to the point that it's still taught as a major business misfire more than 30 years later.  I did like the fight itself, which was giving me shades of Evil Dead 2 while driving home that they were all fighting for Eleven not just because she's the one known thing that can stop monsters but also because she's their friend.  Nice job breaking into the grocery store and leaving a bloody mess behind, kids, although the effects for that were quite good as well.  Lucas redeems himself from the New Coke monologue for at least thinking that they need a Plan B or extra firepower from the fireworks display instead of depending yet again entirely on Eleven to save the day.  Loved the mall reunion and hand waving that yes, yes, she threw a car with her mind.  She has superpowers.  So anyway ...

While I've mostly enjoyed the Scoops crew, Dustin has been away from his core group all season and I think has suffered for it a bit as a character.  Steve and Robin were hilarious tasting air and pointing out the obvious weirdness in Back to the Future with time travel and nearly hooking up with your own mother, even if I could have done without the overhead shots of puke in the toilets and lolling around on the public bathroom floor. 

I'm actually glad the show didn't go where I thought it was going with Robin's earlier speech about sitting behind Steve in homeroom and obsessing over every detail about him to play into another '80s movie trope, and while her coming out was lovely as was his reaction, it felt rather anachronistic for 1985 small town Indiana.   Yes, Steve has matured and corrected from first season asshole Steve to be a pretty good guy, but he's also a guy who's lived his whole life in that small town and likely never known any out gay people at a time when "gay cancer" was all over the nightly news and the Ryan White story is blowing up nearby.  I was the same age as the younger crew in next door Illinois, and it's really hard for me to imagine someone in Steve's shoes not being at least a little weirded out and asking "Are you sure?  How do you know if you've never been with a guy?" as that was a common perception.  It's not that I wanted to see Steve act as badly as those things often did go then, but it feels a little like it's painting a falsely rosy picture of what a hugely vulnerable thing Robin was doing by confiding in him.   We recently caught Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure on cable on a rainy Sunday afternoon, which came out four years after this season is set, for the first time in forever and I was taken aback by how casually they were throwing gay slurs around just for things they perceived as gay.  But that's really what it was like.  So on that front I have to chalk up Steve's much later '90s or '00s attitudes to we just escaped death from homicidal Russians and we're still tripping balls on a dirty bathroom floor.  Not even the strangest thing I've seen or heard today.

• Love 7
On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:50 AM, spaceghostess said:

Having said that, for me, far worse than the Steve/Robin barf-fest was the EXTENDED CONTACT WITH PUBLIC BATHROOM TOILETS AND FLOORS. Hand-waving the fact that that bathroom appeared cleaner than any mall bathroom has ever or will ever be at any time ever, I was trained that you never touch any public toilet or toilet-adjacent thing with your bare hands or any other bare part of your body. Sure, I've barfed in a public toilet--but I didn't TOUCH it. Or roll all over the floor afterward, gaaaahhhh.

LOL! I was thinking the exact same thing on my rewatch last night. My inside voice kept saying Steve move away from the toilet and get you hands/arms off the toilet seat. Also, as packed as the movie was not one person came in to use the bathroom. I've never been in a public bathroom alone for that long. I still laughed at Dustin's "what the hell" cause I say that all the time, especially when driving ;-)

As a mother even though I tried to train my kids to run to the bathroom as soon as their tummy felt sick I had my share of vomit to clean. I've cleaned vomit in the car and the area between the bed and wall and dried vomit on the carpet because they fell back to sleep and didn't tell me. And every single time I had to hold my breath, I could barely look at it and I took small breaks so I wouldn't puke, so I can do without watching or hearing someone vomit on tv.

Mike was really cute trying to tell Eleven he loved her without saying the word love. Mike is the first one that ran up and grabbed El when the monster had hold of her leg just like he's the one that hit Billy when he was choking her. He bugged me a lot in the beginning of this season but he's redeemed himself. You go Mike!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

Mike was really cute trying to tell Eleven he loved her without saying the word love. Mike is the first one that ran up and grabbed El when the monster had hold of her leg just like he's the one that hit Billy when he was choking her. He bugged me a lot in the beginning of this season but he's redeemed himself. You go Mike!

Mike had a similar trajectory last season. I think that Mike is one of those people who is good to have around in a crisis but can be pretty obnoxious when he doesn't have a big problem to focus on. Which, I guess, is why he's the "Paladin" of the group.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 7/21/2019 at 1:17 AM, CeeBeeGee said:

Oh God, I LOVED that episode! I taped it on our Beta VCR! "You disgust me. I hate you." And "Sam and I have decided to traverse the fall line of our aloneness." And "Oh, Mr. Jammers!" So many great lines! God, I miss Coach.

I use this line from Diane when describing her supposed hatred of Sam often: "I hate you with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns!"

• LOL 2
On 7/7/2019 at 8:17 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

I kind of want to see him try and give her the same kind of meeting women  advice he gave Dustin last year. Or just some scene with them helping each other with their dating lives.

He kind of did, when he teased her about her would-be girlfriend, the one who was tone-deaf but thought she could make it big by singing.  That was cute, too.

On 7/11/2019 at 9:58 AM, Pat Hoolihan said:

The thinking in Hollywood these days is that people love to see other people puking. So they throw in unnecessary scenes of puking because this is what  people want to see, they think.  Well, yeah .... if the person is like an 11 year old boy. No one else wants to see puking, people!! get that through your heads!!

Yeah, exactly.  This wasn't as bad as many I've seen, but "aba" is a damn low standard.

On 7/30/2019 at 9:01 PM, festivus said:

Lucas's ode to New Coke was so beautiful that I had to go back and watch it again. I think I have a tear in my eye.

I used to love Coke II when I was a kid, I keep considering buying the Stranger Things New Coke box so I can taste it again, but I'm stuck on paying $20 to drink 2 cans of Coke.

1 minute ago, Perfect Xero said:

I used to love Coke II when I was a kid, I keep considering buying the Stranger Things New Coke box so I can taste it again, but I'm stuck on paying $20 to drink 2 cans of Coke.

I know, I thought about that too but I thought about hipsters paying 10 bucks for a craft beer when they go out and then I didn't feel so bad. It was worth it to get to have a New Coke again, I never thought that would ever happen. I plan to drink my other can tomorrow for my birthday and then I think I will buy one more pack if they have any left.

I proudly admit that I've always loved New Coke! They need to bring it back and call it Coke Plus or something like that.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, festivus said:

I proudly admit that I've always loved New Coke! They need to bring it back and call it Coke Plus or something like that.

I hated new Coke - but I'm totally okay with them bringing it back under another name, after all, everybody has different tastes. Just don't replace my original coke! 😄

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
On 7/5/2019 at 10:36 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I was really disappointed that Robin turned out to be a lesbian because I was also shipping them, but I'm glad that Steve has a real friend who is his own age. My only issue with Robin is that she just doesn't FEEL like someone from the 1980's- she feels really 1990's, but that might be on purpose.

The lesbian storyline didn't feel organic to me. I totally felt like they're shoehorning the early 2000s in there, back when every other kid was suddenly  shouting from the rooftops that they were "bi" because they wanted to be edgy. Or the present, frankly, when throwing a token LGBT character into a show makes the creator feel Very Progressive. 

I had gay friends in my 1980s small town, but they never would have told someone who they hadn't been very close to for a decade or so that they were gay. It wasn't done, because you were going to get your ass beat if it got out. Most of us eventually went to the city because of this. 

I don't think there's a chance in hell she would have told Steve had they not just been through an insane life-changing experience together, and even then she was afraid to tell him. It's still a huge secret; she's not shouting anything from the rooftops.

• Love 8
On 7/6/2019 at 3:39 PM, Cranberry said:

Not saying anyone here is doing this, but I'm seeing a fair bit of talk online about how Robin should be bisexual so she can be with Steve

I’m ashamed to admit that briefly crossed my mind, but then I realized what a disservice it would be to that awesome scene (and character) and immediately switched to “They are going to be such awesome friends!”

I do want Steve to find love with the right girl for him, though. 

• Love 2
On 8/19/2019 at 1:16 AM, MYOS said:

There were entire scenes in Russian, which weren't subtitled.

If you had subtitles, what did Murray and Alexei say at the Fun Fair?

Sitting on the hood of the car?

Paraphrasing, but Alexei felt the fair was not meant for him (maybe because he has led a closeted life) because he wasn't American.

Murray replies that he doesn't have to be American to enjoy it.

I just loved that just before he gets killed he calls Murray buddy. It's like the only word in English he knows.

Oh, Alexei. You were truly my favourite character this season.💔

I've been lagging for a while, and I only have one more episode to go. 

• Love 1
On 10/8/2019 at 7:19 PM, Cranberry said:

I don't think there's a chance in hell she would have told Steve had they not just been through an insane life-changing experience together, and even then she was afraid to tell him. It's still a huge secret; she's not shouting anything from the rooftops.

I agree with you. Also, it's possible that the drugs may have had something to do with what she said. Maybe the drugs were still not totally out of thier system so they were still a little loopy, but more with it than earlier that night.