Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 6/17/2019

Jaded
  • Start Topic

The interview with George Will was very awkward. Another guest that the hosts pretty much dismissed.  Instead of debating his points they just kind of let the conversation die and slid into commercial. 

• Love 8

I know most posters here don't like the View Your Deals, but I wanted to show my love for the Buddha Board. I bought a mini from working at Barnes & Noble on the weekends. We had a full-size one at Customer Service that was so much fun. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, ABitOFluff said:

I know most posters here don't like the View Your Deals, but I wanted to show my love for the Buddha Board. I bought a mini from working at Barnes & Noble on the weekends. We had a full-size one at Customer Service that was so much fun. 

I liked the around-the-neck fan

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, maggiemae said:

WOW, WOW, WOW - MM once saw Strom Thurman having lunch in the Senate dining room. Big whoop.

Then Meghan DEFINITELY deserves her own one-hour show...discussing and interviewing politics/politicians, international heads of state, Erika Jayne, publishers of newsletters/blogs/rags, etc.  Yep, Strom Thurman did it for me.

Maybe at night so she can bump Seth Meyers off the air.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, Haleth said:

The interview with George Will was very awkward. Another guest that the hosts pretty much dismissed.  Instead of debating his points they just kind of let the conversation die and slid into commercial. 

Totally agree!!!  What was is that he said that Ana responded "Oh, George"?  I've always had a soft spot for George, but he tends to be slightly pedantic.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

Totally agree!!!  What was is that he said that Ana responded "Oh, George"?  I've always had a soft spot for George, but he tends to be slightly pedantic.

He said that reparations should not be about race. That is ridiculous when slavery was about race and the subjugation of Africans who were considered an inferior race.  George can be pedantic but that is part of his charm.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 9
29 minutes ago, Haleth said:

It seems the whole table was over him.  His comments about reparations turned off Sunny, Joy and Ana. George excoriated the Republican party Trump and that pissed off Nutmeg.  What the hell was up with Megan? Her comments about Mariann was out of line. That is not how you treat a guest.  

• Love 12
22 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

It seems the whole table was over him.  His comments about reparations turned off Sunny, Joy and Ana. George excoriated the Republican party Trump and that pissed off Nutmeg.  What the hell was up with Megan? Her comments about Mariann was out of line. That is not how you treat a guest.  

How is this ok?  Meghan complains about her treatment by late night hosts (BTW-Colbert handled her with extreme care) , and she barely lets the guest get off stage before she’s talking shit about them.  I didn’t like Williamson either, and I certainly do not see her as a viable candidate.   Meghan is ignorant, she proves it everyday 

• Love 17
44 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

Slightly? Many times I have had to look up words after he finishes speaking! Don't agree with him, except on Trump, but respect his skill with language. 

Just now, mongoose said:

Slightly? Many times I have had to look up words after he finishes speaking! Don't agree with him, except on Trump, but respect his skill with language. 

Haven't seen him yet today and have to catch up on all of this week's programs. Too bad today is taped. So much to say about Iran and Trump. 

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, Coffeewinewater said:

I also want to say how wonderful it must be for someone like GW,  just put race and Racism out of his mind just dont talk about. Same for Meghan if you notice she's always incredibly quiet when race is brought up. Even when defending Trump's base. What wonderfully beautiful privilege that must be.

Sorry, GW pissed me off.

If it doesn't affect them on a personal level, GW and way too many other people have no idea how to even talk about race. They either ignore it, or dance around it. It's the dismissive attitude that makes me angry.

• Love 11
(edited)

Yeah, Will’s “what about the Irish?” sounded a lot like Biden’s “he never called me boy.”  There are some comparisons that should just not be made.  Don’t go there, old white guys! (Some might include AOC’s holocaust comment that they talked about the other day too.)

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Coffeewinewater said:

"Dont make it about race. " "what about the Irish?"  Wtf? I get talking about race and racism is uncomfortable for some people.  Too bad.

The Irish were third on the sign for "no blacks, dogs, or Irish." There was plenty of hate for immigrants in our history. What is different, is that white skin let them blend in eventually. We could probably have an interesting conversation, but not here. :)

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, nokat said:

The Irish were third on the sign for "no blacks, dogs, or Irish." There was plenty of hate for immigrants in our history. What is different, is that white skin let them blend in eventually. We could probably have an interesting conversation, but not here. 🙂

Yes - Greek and Italians too.  Many places had signs  "Greek/Italian/Irish need not apply"

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Haleth said:

It’s not the same thing. 

Agreed.  You could add Jews to that list as well.  (e.g. in the late 60's one of my law profs graduated 1st in his law class at Harvard and not one boston firm would interview him). But every other immigrant discrimination pales in comparison.  remember that everyone else was an immigrant choosing to come over.  The African Americans did NOT make the choice and were actual slaves/property  (not just disliked or discriminated against (though discrimination of the worst kind against them has continued long after the end of slavery).  Totally different and GW should have been able to understand that difference-he's not stupid.  It's the "but also" or trying to equalize to dismiss syndrome again.

• Useful 2
  • Love 16
16 minutes ago, nokat said:

The Irish were third on the sign for "no blacks, dogs, or Irish." There was plenty of hate for immigrants in our history. What is different, is that white skin let them blend in eventually. We could probably have an interesting conversation, but not here. 🙂

10 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Yes - Greek and Italians too.  Many places had signs  "Greek/Italian/Irish need not apply"

The difference that folks like George Will refuses to acknowledge, that the mistreatment of Irish, Greeks, or any other immigrant was not government sponsored.  There were not laws on the books that said Irish were 3/5's of a person.  There were not laws restricting where Greek's could work, live, go to school, or who they could marry.   For him to be so ignorantly dismissive of the concept of reparations is proof that the conversation at least needs to be had.

MM's comments about Marianne Williamson were very mean spirited.  You don't have to like her or agree with her platform, but to call her out by name as being unworthy of running for President was extreme.  

• Love 23
22 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

One of the dumbest things I have ever heard - "Mitch McConnell should pay Barack Obama reparations for trying to make sure he was a one term President."  Uh no, that's how our system works.  People get voted into office and they get voted out of office.  There were some one term Presidents, but Barack Obama wasn't one of them.  Should the one term Presidents get reparations?  No, they were voted out of office because people did not like the job they were doing.

Barack Obama was the first African-American President in United States history.  He served two terms, and left office a very popular President.  He was a success story.

I'm not sure why Barack Obama's Presidency relates to reparation since none of his ancestors were slaves in America. 

• Love 6
17 hours ago, maggiemae said:

I was definitely Team Sunny on Biden today - he is obtuse not to know why Thurman called his son rather than boy.

Reminds me of the daily commercial for the show when Joy gently points out that Anita Hill would probably appreciate Biden say he is sorry for the was she was treated by him rather than just treated.

WOW, WOW, WOW - MM once saw Strom Thurman having lunch in the Senate dining room. Big whoop.

I was there once when Thurman was alive. I probably saw him too. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 1

image.png.4474259e70848235728f27de00f977fc.png

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Meghan was lying through her teeth when she said she didn’t remember Jay Inslee being a previous guest on the show. When he came on, he took her to school for her ignorant views concerning climate change, so that was her petty way of throwing shade about how “unmemorable” he was.

Something like Maria Carey and J-Lo?

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, athousandclowns said:
4 hours ago, ari333 said:

I liked the around-the-neck fan

It was sold out in every color when I checked as soon as show was over. FB shows all items behind the scenes before the show starts. Not good planning 

Many of those fans (MANY!) from different vendors and different colors are available on Amazon.  Free Shipping!   Sometimes I wonder if "View Your Deals" presents a product they KNOW is in short supply--or no supply...especially for those in the "West Coast" time zone.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Haleth said:

Good ol' Wikipedia.  Someone needs to correct that because Delaware is by no means a southern state.

Not south but near the Atlantic?

• Love 2

My prediction. After the break, Megathon will be back with her husband instead of her blue cards.

1 minute ago, pachebo said:

i was suddenly reminded of a whoopi drawing i did a few years back (during the "draw Mohamed" controversy...image.thumb.png.99ac2dc0e885ca168bc2284136f2edae.pngimage.thumb.png.8d89c8b95e14dad011fb43b936af894d.png

I'm impressed, but her boobs are too high. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, xingu said:

George Will may be a conservative idiot, but he does have a point.  If tomorrow, Congress passed a reparations bill worth $100B how would that be divvied up?  Simply by the color of your skin, if you are bi-racial do you get half, if tri-racial do you get a third?  What about those people of color who have no ties to slavery?  I'm a lily-white liberal, but if you think we have racial tension now I can't imagine how this would ignite the nationalists. 

The nationalists will be triggered no matter what. No one has said that reparations would be in the form of money. The House wants a committee to study the impact of slavery and how that has affected inequality regarding Black people whose ancestors were kidnapped from Africa, sold into slavery and shipped to United States against their will.  Also, the reparations would target the descendants of African slaves . It does not mean every Black person in America would get a check as reparations from the government. 

I am Black but I am from the Caribbean, my ancestors were not slaves here.   In the Caribbean, we have issues as well that stem from slavery. They too are discussing reparations with Europe.  It will be interesting to see what happens when Latin America starts to talk about reparations for the descendants of African slaves that were brought over there.  Most of the African slaves who were kidnapped from Africa were sent to the Caribbean and Latin America and not to the states. It is why Black people were always a minority in this country.  

Reparations is connected to Spain, England, France, Portugal, Netherlands, Denmark who all participated in the enslavement of Africans. So, it is not just an American issue. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Useful 2
  • Love 12
20 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

So, it is not just an American issue.

It is not. I'm not sure how to deal with reparations. My family were not slave owners, and not bigots. Reparations should be made, but a general tax makes me think why me, I had nothing to do with it. 

• Love 5
(edited)

The nationalists will be triggered no matter what.

Sad, but true.  Slavery has existed in one form or another since the beginning of time.  From Egyptians to Romans to Normans to current day Sudanese.  It is the worst trait of what we call "humans".  IT IS REPULSIVE!

As an Irish-American, I think Mr. Will is way off track in equating the perils of the Irish immigrants (who chose to come here) vs. AAs who came in chains.  My grandparents came from Ireland to NYC and upon seeing the filth of the city, made some money and got on the first train to Scranton, PA, where he worked on the railroad while my grandmother cleaned houses until they had enough money to open a successful restaurant.

African-Americans never had that opportunity.  

I am so sick of Republicans like Mr. Will proclaiming to be former Republicans.  Just WTF does that mean? At least Nicolle Wallace admits she's a former Republican and states why. I miss her on The View.  

Mr. Will pontificates on and on about the failings of the Republican party but never offers an alternative.  Another old white protestant man looking to sell books.  You're time has come and gone George; retire gracefully.

Edited by xingu
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8
On 6/20/2019 at 9:34 PM, jumper sage said:

It reminds me of the poor baby girls who have to lay there and let their mom put some kind of girly thing on their bald head.  At least the babies are without power to move on their own.

Or worse, pierce their little tiny ears because it’s cultural. I’m sickened that pediatricians have gotten into this act. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, MMEButterfly said:

I was there once when Thurman was alive. I probably saw him too. 

Then you too can be a pundint, Madame!

10 hours ago, nokat said:

Not south but near the Atlantic?

Delaware is on the Atlantic and (Delaware Bay).  It has some gorgeous beaches.

• Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Or worse, pierce their little tiny ears because it’s cultural. I’m sickened that pediatricians have gotten into this act. 

This is a pet peeve of mine--forcing babies to put painful holes in their ears that they may not even want later in life. At least wait until the child is 10-12 years old or so.  I see this all the time here in the south--tiny infants barely a month old with earrings on.  It makes me crazy.  Not to mention the risk of infection.

Regarding reparations, I think they could concentrate on the education aspect:  refurbish all schools and bring them up to code, make sure all students have the resources for an equal education, provide supplies so that teachers don't have to use their own money to buy supplies. etc., etc.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
22 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Slightly?  Haha.  we used to love to watch him and Cokie and Sam on This Week - George would weave a very interesting discussion starting with "the founding fathers" - we enjoyed all his long winded discourses although we rarely agreed with him.  Interesting man.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, xingu said:

Sad, but true.  Slavery has existed in one form or another since the beginning of time.  From Egyptians to Romans to Normans to current day Sudanese.  It is the worst trait of what we call "humans".  IT IS REPULSIVE!

As an Irish-American, I think Mr. Will is way off track in equating the perils of the Irish immigrants (who chose to come here) vs. AAs who came in chains.  My grandparents came from Ireland to NYC and upon seeing the filth of the city, made some money and got on the first train to Scranton, PA, where he worked on the railroad while my grandmother cleaned houses until they had enough money to open a successful restaurant.

African-Americans never had that opportunity.  

I am so sick of Republicans like Mr. Will proclaiming to be former Republicans.  Just WTF does that mean? At least Nicolle Wallace admits she's a former Republican and states why. I miss her on The View.  

Mr. Will pontificates on and on about the failings of the Republican party but never offers an alternative.  Another old white protestant man looking to sell books.  You're time has come and gone George; retire gracefully.

The only time I’ve ever found George Will tolerable was when he was discussing baseball.  He pulls the stick out of his butt, unwinds slightly, and shows some enthusiasm. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, xingu said:

George Will may be a conservative idiot, but he does have a point.  If tomorrow, Congress passed a reparations bill worth $100B how would that be divvied up?  Simply by the color of your skin, if you are bi-racial do you get half, if tri-racial do you get a third?  What about those people of color who have no ties to slavery?  I'm a lily-white liberal, but if you think we have racial tension now I can't imagine how this would ignite the nationalists. 

MM, it's high time you realize (as hard it may be) Senators are not your uncles.  Not Lieberman, not Kennedy, not Biden, not even Auntie Lindsay.  They were kind to you simply because you were your father's daughter and they had an agenda.  They don't give a shit about you.

On a more positive note:

I love, love, love the View's Pride Month moments.  From the awesome big-screen rainbow flag, to the "View" icon on the lower left screen that rotated the gay rainbow, to those they chose to honor; I am overwhelmed with gratitude.  I cried at times.  I was so touched that they honored Frank Kameny.  When I was a junior in college (1981) I applied for an internship with NSA.  Long story short, I was denied the position because I was gay.  I contacted Frank and after getting all my records through FOIA he told me I had a great case, but I would have to file suit to win.  Well I was too young and scared to go through with this (I was at a Catholic college) so I passed.  Years, later when I moved to DC we met and had dinner several times.  He was one of a kind.  Thank you, The View.  And Thank You Frank Kameny, may you RIP.

I absolutely love Sunni's necklace.  And I want one.

Candace would’ve thrown a hissy during the pride month segments if she was still there. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, xingu said:

At least Nicolle Wallace admits she's a former Republican and states why. I miss her on The View.  

But we get to see her every weekday...with much more airtime on her own show! Deadline White House on MSNBC 

• Love 11
11 hours ago, nokat said:

It is not. I'm not sure how to deal with reparations. My family were not slave owners, and not bigots. Reparations should be made, but a general tax makes me think why me, I had nothing to do with it. 

The reason that white people who are not descended from slave owners should help pay for this is that we continue to benefit from the oppression of black people in this society. This country was built by slaves and we benefit daily from what their enslavement and labor produced.

• Useful 4
  • Love 12
57 minutes ago, TheView said:

Candace would’ve thrown a hissy during the pride month segments if she was still there. 

That's probably the one and only issue where I prefer Meghan McCain to Candace. Candace seems like a nice lady. I actually do like her, but if IRC she seemed kind of dismissive of homophobia when discussing the baker refusing to make a cake for the gay couple. 

• Love 5
On 6/20/2019 at 12:53 PM, MMEButterfly said:

Joe was from Pennsylvania. 

You know I thought about that, then was thinking about MD.  I guess his accent is more mid atlantic than southern.  Thats just how i got it i guess.

• Love 3
On 6/20/2019 at 10:02 PM, Fannysue said:

I have a  B.S. degree in  microbiology and mw  is an idiot who shouldn't be running for dogcatcher.   It makes me very sad that people who have no  medical knowledge are

running their mouths off on stuff they know nothing about.

Oh i know!  She was really ridiculous.  Sorry, not a fan.  Dogcatcher is still too good. She def doesnt even deserve that, but i dont want to demean anything 'lower, under' whatever.  Everybody has to do something.  However nothing to do with the public for her.  What a whackjob. 

• Love 3