Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 6/17/2019

Jaded
  • Start Topic

(edited)
14 hours ago, xingu said:

Sad, but true.  Slavery has existed in one form or another since the beginning of time.  From Egyptians to Romans to Normans to current day Sudanese.  It is the worst trait of what we call "humans".  IT IS REPULSIVE!

Slavery existed in Africa too.  However, the enslavement of Africans was on another whole level.  They were not only enslaved but dragged to other lands against their will.  The largest forced migration in the history of the world. Africans were targeted because of their skin color.

Africans before the slave trade never saw themselves as Black. They identified themselves with their ethnic groups. They were Ibos, Yoruba, Wolof, et.c  The different ethnic groups did not always get along and the Europeans took advantage of that to enact the slave trade. It was the Portuguese and the Spaniards that called them Negro that means Black.  They were the ones that started the enslavement of western Africans to be shipped to their colonies in the new world. Then, the other Europeans followed suit. The Atlantic slave trade was a lucrative business. 

The first people to enslave Africans were Arab Muslims who conquered East Africa and deemed the Africans to be inferior not only because of their skin color but also because they did not worship Allah.  It was called the Arab slave trade or the Eastern slave trade.. Africans were kidnapped and shipped to the Arab world.  Christianity was introduced to West Africa by the conquering Europeans and Islam was introduced to East Africa by the conquering Arab Muslims. So, the continent of Africa  and it's diverse people never had a chance. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Useful 6
  • Love 2
On 6/21/2019 at 2:19 PM, After7Only said:

The difference that folks like George Will refuses to acknowledge, that the mistreatment of Irish, Greeks, or any other immigrant was not government sponsored.  There were not laws on the books that said Irish were 3/5's of a person.  There were not laws restricting where Greek's could work, live, go to school, or who they could marry.   For him to be so ignorantly dismissive of the concept of reparations is proof that the conversation at least needs to be had.

MM's comments about Marianne Williamson were very mean spirited.  You don't have to like her or agree with her platform, but to call her out by name as being unworthy of running for President was extreme.  

You quoted me... I want to be clear to everyone that I in no way feel that Greek/Italians/Irish are comparable to slavery. I was simply commenting on a post about about the Irish at the turn of the century (last century). I hope no one took my post in an offensive manner. I promise it was not intended that was.  Please forgive my insensitive post. 

• Love 11
22 hours ago, Tammee said:

Oh i know!  She was really ridiculous.  Sorry, not a fan.  Dogcatcher is still too good. She def doesnt even deserve that, but i dont want to demean anything 'lower, under' whatever.  Everybody has to do something.  However nothing to do with the public for her.  What a whackjob. 

So in love with hearing herself talk, that she doesn't notice when she makes no sense.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 6/21/2019 at 1:19 PM, After7Only said:

MM's comments about Marianne Williamson were very mean spirited.  You don't have to like her or agree with her platform, but to call her out by name as being unworthy of running for President was extreme.  

For once i didnt take offense although i did find it way unprofessional.  She'll just say its her opinion only and thats what she gets paid for. Yada yada yada lol.  Maybe because i found this woman no bueno.. Slow your roll lady stay in your lane LOL.  You think Mayor Pete has little experience..... how about NO experience. Sorry Ive just never seen anything so ridiculous.  Just say no.  Fuck No.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, HaaCHOO said:

So in love with hearing herself talk, that she doesn't notice when she makes no sense.

So true.  I think she subscribes to the 'just keeping talking, even about nonsense, until they tune you out or you accidently come up with something relevant' school of thought.

• Love 6
On 6/20/2019 at 1:44 AM, TheGreenKnight said:

Now the least calm, least rational co-host in View history wants calm, rational conversation about the Holocaust, ya'll, so she can act as Speaker of the Jews again like when she went after Omar. Try starting with the brat you see in the mirror, lady.

Meghan is working my last nerve with her constant use of Jewish people as a shield from behind which she argues her points.

On 6/20/2019 at 8:15 AM, bannana said:

NutMeg snarled that you can always find someone to take the opposite view (or words to that effect)

Aha! So she plainly shows here she doesn't care about the opinions of Holocaust survivors, only those who agree with her. She's pathetic.

On 6/20/2019 at 5:57 AM, After7Only said:

Also noticed that Sunny said during the discussion about AOC/concentration camps comments that she and MM never agree on anything, but she agrees with MM on that point.   Sunny is completely over MM and is not even trying to hide it.  

I was rather disappointed with Sunny on this topic when I heard her speak, because she's meant to be the intelligent one on the panel, and she kept saying AOC was likening what was happening to the Holocaust, when she wasn't. She was calling them concentration camps, which is correct under the definition of what a concentration camp is. And the argument that no one should compare anything to the Holocaust makes me uncomfortable because as Joy says: "What do we have to do? Wait until it gets as bad as the Holocaust before we do something?" We're meant to be learning from history, and that argument made by Sunny has been made by others to justify horrible things, or to not to do things needed to stop horrible things from happening. Remember when no one would say "genocide" during what happened in Rwanda? When I was at law school we were shown a documentary on the Israeli settlements during International Law, and the settlers were literally saying: "Whatever we do to the Palestinians will never be as bad as what was done to the Jews, so this is ok" to justify the human rights abuses there.

The thing is, I think Sunny does understand this, as she kept arguing other points that undermined her main point too, and I love that she will have respectful conversations and accept different points of view on Twitter, unlike a certain someone else we know.

On 6/20/2019 at 8:24 AM, Apprentice79 said:

I just feel that AOC needs to realize she is the target of the right and she needs to choose her words wisely.  

I kinda like that she doesn't, to be honest. She makes her statements and doesn't let the Republicans get away with misconstruing her. She stands behind her points in a way that is rare to see a Democrat do (which is why the Republicans play this tactic; they know they can make Democrats apologise for things they've not said just by deliberately misinterpreting them and thereby clouding the original issue). It's kinda exciting to see! 😀

• Love 6