Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E04: The Last of the Starks

Message added by Meredith Quill

ADVISORY

If you disagree with another poster, do it civilly, or risk moderation measures. 

• Start Topic

30 minutes ago, kellog010 said:

Even Ned knew some secrets need to be kept. Look at what's already happening. It doesn't matter what Jon wants. 

When Ned left for KL, he told Jon he would tel him the truth about his parentage the next time they saw each other. Which of course never happened. I wonder what the purpose of telling him would have been.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
9 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Dany restrained herself from burning Euron and the ships, so it shows she does have self-control.

If there was ever a time for Dany to have lost her shit and burned through those ships, it was then. Open war combat with armed forces and not civilians. I wouldn't have blamed her. I figured the only reason why she didn't risk it was because she wouldn't rashly put Drogon at risk. Although all she had to do was circle around to their backs and Dracarys them into oblivion.

But there brings up a good point- if Dany lost Drogon what would happen? How would she lead and gain her claim to the IT? These are the things she should be realizing - that she's a Queen and leader without her dragons or she should be and what does that look like for her?

Edited by TobinAlbers
  • Love 21
5 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

Thank you.. I've been reading posts like the north would be dead if it wasn't for Dany... Like the wildlings and northern weren't fighting and dying too.. And if she went and subjugated KL while the north had to fight the NK... Everyone would die because they wouldn't have the tools to kill the wights or the NK... After he was done decimating the North

If my neighbor helped me extinguish the flames on my burning house, should I be grateful? Or should I say he had to do it, else the flames would have eventually reached his house too? 

Because honestly my neighbors would hop into their respective SUVs and say "Fuck your problems."

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Guys, I am just really sad about Missandei. I can be all "such and such was right and such and such is an idiot" later, I am just super sad. Not only did Missandei die, she died as one of the only really decent people left on this show, who just wanted to go back to her nice island home to be with Grey Worm, and now she cant even have that, because she was cruelly executed by some asshole on a power trip all so that her bestie/queen can pushed further towards the edge. 

She and Grey Worm deserved better. 

I’m right here with you. She was a treasure. 

Sansa didn’t know Dany asked Jon not to tell so she was *almost immediately* betraying his trust by telling Tyrion. Her line to the Hound about Little Finger and Ramsey struck me. I could never fully trust her motives and honestly I’m over her ENTIRE character. 

Bran seems rather pointless. Just a human history book now? 

Ghost, Rhaegal and Missandei deserved better. Rhaegal at least got some love from his mother before the fatal flight. Jon couldn’t take the time to pet his wolf for the last time?  

If I lost almost everyone who cared for me and half my armies and my claim to the throne I’d be Mad Queen Bitch too. 

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Law Mom said:

When Ned left for KL, he told Jon he would tel him the truth about his parentage the next time they saw each other. Which of course never happened. I wonder what the purpose of telling him would have been.

That Jon would know his true mother.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Law Mom said:

He would have told Jon, since it was obvious that Jon really wanted to know (especially if his mother cared for him at all), because by then Jon would have taken the Black and thus was no longer a threat or a candidate for the throne.  So the secret could come out.  (And it certainly would have changed Jon's relationship with Thorne!)

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
7 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Dany restrained herself from burning Euron and the ships, so it shows she does have self-control.

I don’t think she restrained herself. I think she retreated because it was too dangerous for Drogon. I guess...she had enough restraint to protect him.  The ships were metal plated on top of having the dragon spears weren’t they? Unless I saw that wrong?

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Drogo said:

If my neighbor helped me extinguish the flames on my burning house, should I be grateful? Or should I say he had to do it, else the flames would have eventually reached his house too? 

True, but in this case "being grateful" seems to mean you have to give them ownership of your house because they helped you save it.

• Love 24
(edited)
1 hour ago, Law Mom said:

None at that point, with Jon a sworn brother of the Night’s Watch. But it might have meant something to Jon knowing that his mother and father loved each other and it was not kidnapping and rape, and that his mother loved Jon and her last act was to protect him.

Edited by MarySNJ
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, sistermagpie said:

True, but in this case "being grateful" seems to mean you have to give them ownership of your house because they helped you save it.

If that's what I promised him after he'd started helping me, yes- as the KiTN did with Daenerys.

• Love 6
53 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Why wont anyone just say "hey Jon and Dany, you are both clearly like each other, arent too upset by the incest thing, have temperaments that balance each other, and between the two of you have a massive ass army and tons of loyal advisers and people to follow you, and both have claims, so maybe you should, gee I dont know, get married and rule as co rulers!?! Its not that complicated guys! Just make another stupid uncomfortable chair and stick it next to the other one, anything to end this game of musical chairs from Hell!!!"?!?

Davros, we need you and your common sense right the fuck now! 

In theory that makes sense.. But in all honesty he would still be pushed forward... He's a battle tested war hero... She burns ppl alive with dragons... He was raised in the north she was raised "somewhere out there" he's a HE... The other lords wouldnt chafe as much under him as a woman... Ppl are naturally drawn to him as a leader.. She's positioned herself as a savior... So he's much more relatable.. He's got the better backstory... Secret love child of two great houses raised as a bastard ( so he's less arrogant than those raised thinking they were nobles)  man of the night's watch who was killed and brought back to life... Hes someone the north would have no problem bending the knee for.. She saw it all in the food hall so add all that plus by the laws and customs of the land that she herself has brought up.. He has a better claim... So it would never be equal... 

• Useful 4
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, sistermagpie said:

Those are the rules of the HOA though. 

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Did Dany demand Winterfell for herself? I didn’t hear that part. 

I think it’s more like, you need to pay your taxes to pay for the services you’re receiving. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Because honestly my neighbors would hop into their respective SUVs and say "Fuck your problems."

But ppl did thank her.. She's yet to say thank you to the other ppl who fought other than giving Gendry storm's end( which was  political albeit gracious move)  she talks about her losses as if only her ppl died

• Love 8
1 minute ago, UNOSEZ said:

But ppl did thank her.. She's yet to say thank you to the other ppl who fought other than giving Gendry storm's end( which was  political albeit gracious move)  she talks about her losses as if only her ppl died

She publicly toasted to Arya and called her the hero of Winterfell at the celebration. That's a pretty good thank you.

• Love 19
Just now, UNOSEZ said:

Thank her while plotting to reneg on their brother/King's promise to bend the knee to her, a promise made in the midst of receiving her very necessary assistance.

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, MissL said:

I don’t think she restrained herself. I think she retreated because it was too dangerous for Drogon. I guess...she had enough restraint to protect him.  The ships were metal plated on top of having the dragon spears weren’t they? Unless I saw that wrong?

i don't know, but if that was what was stopping her why was she even flying towards the boat in the first place? I thought she was gonna tell the dragon to shoot fire but then she turned around. I don't get why they didn't shoot at her then as well.

• Love 4

While Cersei, once again, outwitted her enemies, I think she made a mistake by killing Missandei.  She was a valuable hostage.  Would Grey Worm and Dany be prepared to burn down KL with her as a captive?

Now, Dany and Grey Worm are both going to be in kill Cersei suicide mission mode.  

It is similar to Joffrey killing Ned. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 14
2 minutes ago, Leroux said:

Dany should have never asked Jon to hide the truth of his birth to anyone, let alone his sisters. Period. 

This actually doesn’t matter as far as Sansa is concerned because she didn’t know that Dany asked Jon not to tell her. All she knows is that her brother swore her to secrecy and she agreed to it and then went back on that within 24 hours, probably less. 

Dany’s reasons are irrelevant as far as the conversation between the siblings. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, onyxrose81 said:

Dany has listened to her advisors and that’s the problem. She would already be sitting her ass on the throne if she went with her gut or listened to Yara and Olenna.  But she listened to men and has paid the price. 

And then the Night king would rolled up at the red keep with a few million ppl and no one would had a clue how to stop him... And do you wanna fight zombie Arya or Zombie Tormund?? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

One thing I'm confused on is when Varys and Tyrion did an about-face and decided Dany isn't the right leader for the Kingdoms?

Up until this point, she's listened to her advisors, refrained from burning KL for the sake of sparing innocents, gave the Tarlys several chances to surrender before roasting them, lost a dragon to bail Jon out, helped the North defeat the NK, actively fought in that battle and sat by quietly while Tormund gave Jon credit for the win. It was also Dany who reminded everyone that Arya won the war.

They act like they're relieved to have Jon as a replacement and I can't figure out where it's coming from. Or is it just poorly rushed writing?

• Useful 1
  • Love 19
3 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

It is similar to Joffrey killing Ned. 

Yup, totally shades of Joffrey and Ned. Back then Cersei knew what a blunder test was. Now, she's so far gone she's fine with lighting the match and watching the world burn. 

• Love 15
40 minutes ago, Vella said:

I don't think so. I think Sansa is flat out done being ruled by an outsider. To her, Jon is family, she'll bend the knee to him, as will other Northerners, but they are DONE letting outsiders rule them.

Dany was right. All this does is sow discontent and division. Why does he contribute to it? Is it because that perhaps he DOES want something for himself?

He knows his rightful name, he knows he's the rightful heir. I think that knowledge changed him in ways that he could ignore before "I don't want to rule" but is finding harder now.

Look at how Gendry physically changed when Dany legitimized him, gave him the Baratheon name and Storm's End. The effect of being given something you didn't know you wanted until it was in your hands. It's a powerful thing, especially when someone else has something that is rightfully YOURS.

I think Jon is the same. He might be fighting it and trying to deny it, but I think he told Sansa precisely because he does want the news out. And he knew of Sansa and Arya that Sansa would spill before the sun set.

I just want the show to stop dicking around and admit it.

I don't think Jon wants it though. The North, yes. All of the seven kingdoms, no.

• Love 1

she was instantly more loyal to her golden lion Joffrey.

I hated that Sansa stuff but to be fair she was a girl with girlish ideas about marrying a prince or at least a lord. Ya know? She was raised to believe in that stuff. She immediately had this romantic view - stars in her eyes - childish ideals about Joffrey. She was a kid.

While Cersei, once again, outwitted her enemies, I think she made a mistake by killing Missandei.  She was a valuable hostage.

And I am over Cersei winning. Way over it. I'd love to know how Urine managed to find Missandei in the water. Though I knew either she or Grey Worm would die the minute they talked about what would happen after Dany took the IT. Never talk about retirement that early when there is a lot more bloodshed to come!

I just wasn't terribly impressed with this episode.

It cracks me up that I care so much about CGI creatures. HATED losing another dragon. Hated. Especially to that iron born Captain Jack wannabe. Uggghh.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

Actually, Cersei's death belongs to Sansa.  I'm ready for someone to take Euron out of the game.

No, it doesn’t. It always belonged to Jaime and/or Tyrion.

• Love 9
32 minutes ago, TobinAlbers said:

If there was ever a time for Dany to have lost her shit and burned through those ships, it was then. Open war combat with armed forces and not civilians. I wouldn't have blamed her. I figured the only reason why she didn't risk it was because she wouldn't rashly put Drogon at risk. Although all she had to do was circle around to their backs and Dracarys them into oblivion.

Between that and Euron's cloak of invisibility -- he must be a secret Romulan -- I'm really getting sick of this show.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Vella said:

There is NO way Jon does not want to be King.

He does. He cannot admit it to himself or anyone else, but Dany was 100% right when she said that it didn't matter, once it got out, it would go a certain way.

Yet he STILL tells Sansa and Arya, mere MOMENTS after both have sniffed their noses and said "she's not from here, you are".  Especially knowing the fractious relationship between Sansa and Dany and yet he still tells them. He knows Sansa will fight tooth and nail to keep the North free. He KNOWS this and still tells her. Sansa will do what she believes is best for herself and the North, and that's not letting an outsider rule. Period. She has always been clear about the end goal.

But he STILL told her.  Why? This HUGE revelation.  Once again, Dany knew better. After everything Sansa had lived through, there was NO WAY she'd keep quiet.

And Jon must know that the person who loses is Dany. Each time, it's her. Not him. They both know that.

So he wants to be King. He does. If he didn't, he'd keep his fucking trap shut. Simple as that.

And I want for SOMEONE to fucking call him out on that.

Whatever the ramifications... I'm not sitting on that secret to my siblings.. Especially when I know someone else has that info and it could find its way out... Somehow Dany knew Gendry was Robert's bastard... Someone could eventually blab about him.. So I'm not saying ur wrong.. But the show has been pretty consistent with hoisting leadership on Jon.. Not him chasing it.. Forget DNA... He's Ned Stark's son... No way he wasn't telling them

• Love 9

I want Cersei's wardrobe. And Sansa's.

I have a feeling Arya is not headed to KL to kill Cersei. I think she has a new target now. She seemed resigned to not returning to Winterfell when she left with the Hound. And I'm not sure that is because she plans on running off with Gendry at the end of the show. She did a LOT of face watching in that war council scene - most of it directed at Daeny. And we all know how good she is at the Game of Faces.

While I do feel Sansa's....snarkiness, is over the top at times, in theory, she is not wrong in her views. Resting the troops was reasonable (never mind giving one of the two dragons you have left a little time to heal the gaping holes in his wings), as was her response of checking with the officers. Last time I checked, some of those troops still left are Dany's - there were still some Dothraki and Unsullied left over.

Loved the interaction with Sansa and Tyrion. I don't think she intended to blurt out the news about Jon. It was when she realized that even Tyrion is afraid of Dany that she made the decision. She is still loyal to Jon.

Rhagel dying killed me. Worse than most of the deaths last week. I did NOT see that coming at all. We are now down to one dragon facing down a shit ton of ballistics that are clearly very effective. I predict Drogon to bite it before the end. Glad that Ghost got to head north for some well deserved retirement. And as much as I see people complaining about Jon's interaction with Ghost, Ghost has interacted with or fought beside most of the main characters over the last few seasons. I am going fan wank that he and Tormund will have many adventures in the North for years to come.

• Love 23
(edited)

Tipsy Brienne looking at Jaime like he was a snack.

Tormund solidly cockblocked by Jaime. Oh well.

Lol, one night with Arya and Gendry was sprung. Sounds like maybe Arya has realized she doesn't really swing that way.

OMG, why didn't they send scouts/spies ahead? How could they not have seen that attack coming? (Or why didn't Bran see it? 🤔)

Poor Brienne. Jaime was going to ghost her to get back to his one true love. Maybe she can still catch Tormund if he hasn't gotten too far away already

I feel like Dany's going to get Julius Caesared, Ides of March-style.

Okay, Arya, any time now. Cersei desperately needs killing. Bring the pain, please.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

Whatever the ramifications... I'm not sitting on that secret to my siblings.. Especially when I know someone else has that info and it could find its way out... Somehow Dany knew Gendry was Robert's bastard... Someone could eventually blab about him.. So I'm not saying ur wrong.. But the show has been pretty consistent with hoisting leadership on Jon.. Not him chasing it.. Forget DNA... He's Ned Stark's son... No way he wasn't telling them

But, they were not Jon's siblings.  They are his cousins and he should know Sansa could not be trusted with that information.

Gendry didn't hide his lineage.  When Davos told him to tell Jon his name was Clovis, he instead introduced himself as Gendry, Robert Baratheon's bastard.

• Love 2

I think this is heading down a more bitter than sweet path if this continues.

Sansa can't be trusted. She's been shaped and molded in her way of thinking and acting by Littlefinger and Cersei, two of the worst people on this show. And she never had the Stark code of honor in the first place. It's an interesting parallel to the first season, Sansa not being able to keep a secret. I'm sure she's thinking a few steps ahead...but for what outcome? Sansa is looking out for herself/her own and nobody else at this point. Dany hasn't done anything to her (yet) but Sansa dislikes her cause she's threatening them in a way and she's already plotting to get rid of her.

If I were Tyrion I wouldn't be so sure to trust her either. Sansa cares about the North and he's not a part of that.

Dany has always had an impulsive streak and she's always been capable of committing atrocities in the name of conquest, so I wouldn't be surprised to see her burn down KL in the next episode. Which will put her in direct conflict with Jon. I don't know if it'll feel earned...she's done awful stuff before on the show but it was always glossed over or painted as a badass hero moment. There's a bit of a disconnect here if we're meant to now see it lead up to mad queen Dany (if that's happening).

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, TobinAlbers said:

It was a bit puzzling that she didn't go all Fire and Blood right there. I mean all the arrows were missing Drogon, one good dracarys would have finished them off and then we could all cheer the death of Euron with no civilian casualties and no one wondering if Dany is losing her sanity.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Almost forgot - those wondering about a mole? Qyburn has already proven his little birds are just as if not more effective than Varys's were. I don't think one of the main characters is a mole, I think it's just the same secret spy service they've been using for the entire series.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

In general I found the episode to be disappointing, especially after last week.

But one thought did cross my mind. If Jamie takes out Cersei and dies in the process, and Tyrion dies or has sworn off women anyway, there still could be a new little Lannister brewing in Winterfell.  All the chat a couple of weeks ago about Arya being pregnant with Gendry’s baby...how about Brienne?

• Love 6

Well, I don't buy the Mad Queen shit they've tried to sell me. Well, at least Mad as in Crazy. But I am fully onboard with Pissed Off Queen now. She is going to have to burn KL to get rid of Cersei. She could have done that 2 Seasons ago. I get Don't expect a Happy Ending. I did expect a logical one. And this one isn't panning out.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, MarySNJ said:

And one more thing, what does Sansa think will happen to the North if Cersei defeats Dany? Will Cersei let the rebellious Northerners remain independent? Will she let the Starks keep Winterfell and let Sansa keep her head? Not likely. If she has to accept a southern Queen, at least Dany has shown that she gives a damn and actually has a connection with Jon. It’s in Sansa’s interest to see Cersei deposed and a friendly Queen in KL. 

And up until she found out Jon's parentage she was.. She still sent ppl to help.. This has never not been about getting rid of cersei.. If anything those two given the option would've liked to kill cersei before any of this AOTD stuff.. But couldn't because the NK pressed them

Who was the dead person at the beginning that Arya was mourning?

Daenerys lost Jorah and numerous Unsullied and Dothraki last episode, and this week she loses Rhaegel and Missandei.  Everything is crashing down around her.  I hope she roasts Euron at least.

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

I think he said the hateful line because he wants Brienne to think he's siding with Cersei. He wants to avoid Brienne going after Cersei with him.  He's worried Cersei would have Brienne killed.

I thought he was telling her that he was no better than Cersei. That's why she knew immediately where he was going and why she told him he was an honorable man and better than his sister; she knew he was going because he didn't think he was any better than Cersei, that's why she said, no you are. And Jaime telling her the things he did and that he was hateful too was him telling her that she was wrong.

Although I don't know why Jaime doesn't think that Cersei won't just have him shot on sight.

Dany is right that what Jon wants won't matter.  If enough people want him to rule they will fight regardless of what Jon wants.  I don't know why Dany doesn't suggest marriage but I think she's resistant to co-ruling.  Marrying Jon would help win the support of people who are wary of her.  It's a mistake for her not to try to use Jon's linage and popularity among his people through marriage to solidify her position.

I think Dany is worried, and rightfully so, that she would become a mere figurehead even if she married Jon, maybe even especially if she married Jon. Like she said, it doesn't matter what he wants; he could say, "yes, Dany are I are co-rulers"; people would see him as being the true ruler. I think it would only work if Jon stayed in the North.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 7

Hilarious (to me) that Jon swears Sansa to secrecy, then he leaves & she jumps on groupchat.

I've watched Gwendoline & Nikolaj do interviews together, and even though I dug the kiss, I wondered how many takes they needed to get through that scene without cracking up.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2