Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E04: The Last of the Starks

Message added by Meredith Quill

ADVISORY

If you disagree with another poster, do it civilly, or risk moderation measures. 

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Bryce Lynch said:

He has the better claim because his father was born before Daenrys' father, not because he has a cock.

His father was Daenerys' father's son.

His claim is considered stronger due to his being the eldest trueborn male offspring (of the King's eldest trueborn male offspring.) 

So actually there is quite a bit of penis-favoring involved. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 15
Just now, JennyMominFL said:

I thought Varys was totally wrong and was even wrong about the reason Jon had the better claim.  He has the better claim because his father was born before Daenrys' father, not because he has a cock. 

Well that would be quite the miracle since Dany's father is Jon's grandfather.  Jon's claim is better because he's the son of the crown prince.  Of course that doesn't really mean anything - Cersei had no claim to the throne but she grabbed it anyway.

I think Dany might have listened to Sansa's very good point about the tired soldiers IF she hadn't spent the past few episodes treating her with poorly disguised disdain.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
8 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Yes, I agree. She's like her direwolf now. She can have a home, but she doesn't see herself domesticated. She even kept herself out of the celebrations.

8 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Exactly. Having their soldiers recuperate from the battle makes sense. Dany made a false equivalency when stating that her soldiers came immediately to the North - they hadn't just been decimated by a huge battle. Sansa's point wasn't that the North wasn't going to reciprocate - but that some recuperation was necessary for them to fight the next "last" battle.

Yes, even taking into consideration that Sansa's got a thing against Dany--everybody kept announcing it in this ep even--she still doesn't seem actively hostile to me the way Dany was to her at times. Her suggestions in that meeting more than made sense and Dany did act like they were insulting or proof that Sansa was going to keep the North in the North instead of fighting for her so Jon had to overcompensate. Even her telling Tyrion the truth, while a betrayal of the oath she just took, didn't seem like so much scheming as her really not thinking it was fair to have to keep that a secret.

3 minutes ago, AttackTurtle said:

I feel for Dany.  She has no family; particularly without Jorah and Missandei. I do not understand Sansa’s reasoning for being so opposed to Dany.  Dany has done nothing to Sansa.

I felt bad for Dany too--she keeps seeing signs that she doesn't really belong here, that it isn't "her land" the way she sees herself. But I don't think Sansa's behavior is that strange.

3 minutes ago, AttackTurtle said:

On the flip side; while Danny is right to want revenge against Cersei...she shouldn’t discount the feelings of the Starks.  Christ, the Lannisters killed their father, mother, brother, etc...  

I have a sense that Jon is not going to die, but instead will head north at the end of this story.  It was nice to see Jon actually happy for a few scenes for once.

Jaime is not returning to Cersei for love.  He knows she wanted Bronn to off him.

• Love 18
1 minute ago, Jenesis said:

Very quick comment right now.

Am I going crazy? Why does Dany and everyone act like her helping against the NK is some favor? If she wants people to bow, she needs to protect them.

I know, when she kept calling it "Jon's War", she seemed to not understand that if she didn't help fight against the Night King then, she'd have to do it eventually if they actually got to march farther south.

• Love 22
1 minute ago, kieyra said:

Two things:

1) I desperately wanted Missandei to grab Cersei and kamikaze them both off the ledge once she knew she was dead.

2) I’d now like to see Bronn dead right behind Cersei. Jamie can take them both out. His “pragmatic mercenary” schtick ain’t cute anymore. 

Oh and 3) Not looking forward to the inevitable “wah Sansa broke her word right away” complaints even though it was absurd for Dany to ask Jon to keep such a huge secret (and pretend it was out of love for him), and absurd for Jon to ask his sisters to keep such a huge secret and make them swear without knowing what they were swearing to. Arya doesn’t give a shit because all she cares about now is her list. Sansa is still looking at the bigger picture when almost no one else (except Varys) is. 

I wish 1 would have happened.

Yeah, I think Tyrion knows that is even a promise he cant honor, so Bronn just needs to be done.  Unless Bronn says, yeah I knew you couldn't really give me High garden....I just like you too much to kill you.

3)Honestly, I think Sansa did the right thing.  Everything Varys said is true.  For the North to remain in the 7 kingdoms, Jon either has to be on the throne or married to Dany.   I think Sansa will not stop until Jon is on the throne, or the North is free.  

• Love 17

I do have to hand it to the survivors of Winterfell. Mass funeral for your friends in in the morning, mass frat party/courtyard orgy in the evening.

The tone on that didn't take long to shift. Well for everyone but our two favourite lone canines.

• LOL 5
  • Love 7

If Bronn was offered Riverrun, does that mean Edmure Tully is dead? Arya killed all of the Frey men when he was back in the dungeons at The Twins. Did the women not know he was down there and he just starved to death?

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

This whole episode made little sense.  I am glad I came to the series late because I do not want to understand Sansa.....

It is obvious now they are just pandering to fans and doing things for shock value. It made no sense for Missandei to be the one that was captured, and how would Cersei know how much she valued what she would essentially see as a servant?   They did if for shock value, just like having Lyanna fight and be killed...and yet the much worse characters are still around.  The writing this season has just been bonkers. It is almost like they did not know what else to do.  i can't wait for some White Walker/night King crap to show up in the last episode.  

I hope Arya and Jon find out that Sansa cannot be trusted...this "family" bond is only when it i convenient. 

What is Bran good for if he could not have foreseen and forewarned of the ambush?  Can Jaimie come back and push him out of another window, or better, off a cliff? 

I really hate that they sort of played the scene with Brienne and Jaimie for comedy.  I think regardless of who she is that it should have been much more romantic because of who she is...

• Love 14

Who bedazzled Cercei's bodice? Love it.

Are we ever going to find out who the NK was as a human?

Should Cercei have just gone ahead and arrowed Tyrion to death?

Bald snake man should go first next week during Cleagan bowl

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Popples said:

I know, when she kept calling it "Jon's War", she seemed to not understand that if she didn't help fight against the Night King then, she'd have to do it eventually if they actually got to march farther south.

Among so many other things, that's what separates Dany from Cersei.

• Love 2

I am so heartbroken. This episode was so much harder than I thought it would be. 

Jaime has said it all along, he loves the vile bitch.

Poor Tormund.

Jon, you are a cold heartless jerk. Can't even spare a pat on the head for poor Ghost.

I don't care who kills Cersei, just as long as she does dead. Euron, you moron, you die too. You hurt my eyes with your icky presence on my screen. 

This was an emotional roller coaster tonight. From the funeral to happiness and laughter to sorrow. 

But as far as the Mad Queen shit, bullshit. At this point, even if Daenerys doesn't destroy the city, Greyworm will.

• Love 7
(edited)
3 minutes ago, TiredMe said:

Jesus I thought this episode was a mess. I hated Gendry proposing. What is this? the Bachelor?

I think he was high off of this legimaticy. I think when he thinks later, he knows that Arya would have never accepted. Personally, I don't know if anyone ever read the Graceling series....but Arya and Gendry remind of the lead male and female.  Being in love, but not getting married.  Only coming together and being together in passing, but each living life on their own terms.

1 minute ago, tennisgurl said:

Why wont anyone just say "hey Jon and Dany, you are both clearly like each other, arent too upset by the incest thing, have temperaments that balance each other, and between the two of you have a massive ass army and tons of loyal advisers and people to follow you, and both have claims, so maybe you should, gee I dont know, get married and rule as co rulers!?! Its not that complicated guys! Just make another stupid uncomfortable chair and stick it next to the other one, anything to end this game of musical chairs from Hell!!!"?!?

Davros, we need you and your common sense right the fuck now! 

As Varys pointed out....Jon had an issue with incest, and Dany won't share power.

Edited by LadyChaos
  • Love 19
33 minutes ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

Actually, Cersei's death belongs to Sansa.  I'm ready for someone to take Euron out of the game.

Why should it belong to Sansa?  She was Cersei's little dove and has expressed admiration for Cersei.  She is a liar and schemer just like Cersei.  If she had Cersei's balls, she would be a monster like her.  

She has never had any loyalty to her family.  She hated Jon and Arya growing up and she was instantly more loyal to her golden lion Joffrey.  It was only after she personally started being abused that she turned against the Lannisters. 

Later she covered for Littlefinger in the murder of her aunt, when she would have been perfectly safe telling the truth.  

She doesn't care about House Stark or the North, only about herself and her petty jealousies.

• Love 19
1 minute ago, tennisgurl said:

Why wont anyone just say "hey Jon and Dany, you are both clearly like each other, arent too upset by the incest thing, have temperaments that balance each other, and between the two of you have a massive ass army and tons of loyal advisers and people to follow you, and both have claims, so maybe you should, gee I dont know, get married and rule as co rulers!?! Its not that complicated guys! Just make another stupid uncomfortable chair and stick it next to the other one, anything to end this game of musical chairs from Hell!!!"?!?

Because that would actually make sense and would have forced the showrunners to wrap up the show in a way that honored the past seven seasons and not just go for shocks and wows. LOTR it clearly ain’t. 

• Love 13
(edited)
6 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Wouldn't work. Dany feels like she's put more skin in the game to claim the throne in the first place and Jon always feel justified making unilateral decisions. After the honeymoon lovebug period wears off they would be at loggerheads with one another.

2 minutes ago, LanceM said:

Dany should burn Kings Landing to the ground. Everytime she listens to Tyrion and Varys she loses power.  Every single time. However when she takes things into her own hands she gets shit done whther it was destroying the Lannister army that had taken HIghgarden last year or saving Jon and everyone ass up beyond the Wall.  Olenna was right last season. You're a dragon be a dragon. Dracarys.

Honestly, I think that's what they both want, deep down. They fear her because if she wins she'll have too much firepower and too much willpower to be easily manipulated. Varys especially doesn't want a great ruler, he wants a non-psychopath that is malleable and easily manipulated. Hence his immediate switch to Team Jon.

Edited by rozen
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13
6 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Well, maybe if Dany actually mentioned that to Jon, or if she seemed amenable to co-ruling. But it seems her desire for the throne doesn't work that way.

That's not it though. Dany and Jon should have happened as a political marriage in S7 once Dany lost all her other allies. They freaking ended S6 with Dany dumping Daario for exactly this reason. D/J can still fall in love while already being married. The whole point is that all this drama that comes with them not marrying when that's literally how it works in Westeros, could have been avoided. It would have smoothed things over in the North. And once the two were in love it would have given Jon every opportunity to smooth things over, like suggesting to Dany to give the North a certain amount of autonomy and freedom. It also would have smoothed things over with the parentage reveal and the claims that follow. Literally every problem would have been solved if this show followed the rules of the verse.

And it dragged other characters into this mess. Namely Sansa, the Northern Lords and Varys/Tyrion/Davos (who actually talk about freaking marriage proposals as if they hailed from the 21st century). It's just such stupid drama/plot because everyone watching knows the obvious solution to this utter nonsense...

• Love 12
18 minutes ago, ShellsandCheese said:

For the last time, she wasn’t headed to take on Cersei. She was headed to Dragonstone and Euron ambushed her. It wasn’t a shit plan because there was no plan. She was headed “home” not to attack Cersei or King’s Landing.

Thank you!  People acting like Dany was going to KL right away.  They were arriving at DS to come up with a plan.  

• Love 4
(edited)

Poor Missandei! 😰 But she went out with her dignity: Dracarys!

I knew Sansa wasn't going to keep that secret, and I'm glad she told Tyrion. Of course, he had to tell Varys because we need intelligent people to game-theory this shit out.

Edited by dramachick
  • Love 13
22 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Why does everyone continually overestimate Cersei's humanity and underestimate her cunning? Especially Tyrion.  Yes, Tyrion, she IS a monster and an extremely dangerous one.  She has proven this over and over.  So what if she loved her children (and has good cheekbones).

Because the people writing the show are not as skilled with their pens as George RR Martin.

Tyrion started being daft right around the time the he was being written by the TV writers, and not adapted from something Martin had already written.

It is also why we get nonsense like Bronn materializing out of thin air to deliver demands with a crossbow. How did he get into Winterfell? How does Tyrion - the hand of a Queen - not have security within a city filled to the brim with Daenerys' soldiers?  Or Euron's ship getting off a surprise kill shot on a dragon, as if an entire fleet wouldn't have been seen before getting within firing range.

Stop hand-waiving things for unearned drama, show.

• Love 18

Poor tyrion fighting all episode to defend Dany... Convince Sansa and implore his sister to seemingly no avail... No idea how Bronn got in... I don't see Dany being "Mad Queen" but she did say some problematic things this episode.. But she also showed a ton of self-awareness... Tho when your bestie gets beheaded and your kid gets killed can't really blame her for wanting to do damage... Lol at Arya.. Shutting down even the possibility of getting to know Dany... I imagine Sansa and her had different reactions to Jon's news... Sansa probably immediately started thinking about the IT ( which we all expected)  Arya probably just repeated what she had just said... Ur my brother.. Not my half brother not a bastard.. My brother.. Whatever it was she seems done with Winterfell... Bran isn't bran.. He's the raven and Sansa is a politician now and she's off to KL... Rhaegal getting hit surprised me.. Was not ready for  that... They shouldve waited before heading off.. Rested the men and dragons got more info.. But Jon couldn't say no because he was trying to prove to Dany's insecure self that he was loyal... Both of them have faults.. Both have good qualities that are similar.. The diff to me is even tho both tend to jump before looking at times... Dany has a destructive streak in her( created from her hard life I'd wager) where Jon is a bit more self-sacrificing.. And if she burns KL to the ground..( which she kinds wanted to do from the jump more or less)  Well then in the end she didn't deserve the throne whether she gets it or not

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Drogo said:

His father was Daenerys' father's son.

His claim is considered stronger due to his being the eldest trueborn male offspring (of the King's eldest trueborn male offspring.) 

So actually there is quite a bit of penis-favoring involved. 

Yes, you are right, I messed that up. 

But, it comes down to Rhaegar being born before her.  If Jon were a woman, she would still be ahead of Dany in the line of succession.  Likewise, if Dany were a man, he would still be behind Jon

• Love 11
22 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I agree. They loathe each other so much they're going to be antagonistic even when one of them is making reasonable requests. 

I really don’t understand Sansa’s antipathy. After ALL of what they faced, how could she doubt that Dany was trying to do the right thing for the whole of Westeros?  As much as I have sympathized with the character I don’t think what she’s doing in regard to Dany is reasonable. Okay, yes, the soldiers are battle weary, but the way she said she would have to ask the commanders sounded more like “never” to me and I would guess to Dany as well. Jon seemed to pick up on it as well which is why he made an executive decision to prepare the troops to go South. 

And Arya: “ She not one of us.” Yeesh. Nevertheless, Dany came to the aid of the North. 

• Love 10
(edited)

I may feel differently when I see them burning but at this moment I want Dany to burn it all. Hence why I am not the ruler of anything. 

Wow. They couldn't have Jon touch Ghost once?

Dany part of the reason you fell in love with Jon was that he was honest and didn't play games. You can't ask that of him. 

At least marriage was mentioned again. The reason why it wouldn't work was not convincing.

I understand the Starks got a rude awaking about playing the game but to have basically Cersei words to Joffrey come out of their mouths doesn't seem like something good.  Everyone who is not us is an enemy - she is one of us.

I felt really bad for Dany sitting by herself but then I thought why doesn't she try to mingle.

I am reserving judgement about Jaime for now. Though, I do agree with someone up thread who mentioned he doesn't feel he deserves happiness and definitely not Brienne.

Jon is my favorite but I am not crazy about how the show is portraying women in power. 

It looks like at the moment Cersei and Euron have the strongest relationship. How depressing. I forgot Sam and Gilly. Thanks MARYSNJ

Edited by Kanner
Other couples exist
  • Love 14

You know not for nothing but if anyone's been following the recent press about the British Royal Family the rumor is that the rift between William and Harry is that William has started to "act like a king" and wants Harry to defer to him and Harry is having a hard time adjusting. 

For the same reasons apparently Charles has always been quite distant from his siblings.

Dany wants Jon to defer to her but it's sort of impossible now that everyone knows about the true birth order and thinks Dany should defer to Jon. True love is not really possible among royalty ... Status and power always get in the way. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Shouldn’t Euron be putting two and two together about Cersei’s pregnancy? How would Tyrion know she’s pregnant if the child was really his? 

Edited by Soup333
  • Love 5

I just dont know what is going to happen with Dany at this point, and I dont think I will like it. Yeah Dany can be ruthless and smug about her victories, but she is also a character I've rooted for since the first season, even when she got on my nerves. Now they seem to be deliberately manipulating things so we can be the final boss, by taking away everything she loves and having her be betrayed over and over? The fuck? I know this show has never been about traditional narratives, but what was the point of all our time with Dany off in her own plot in a different location with her whole own cast if it ends like this?!

Danys big problem now seems to be that she dislikes the idea of sharing power, which will end up being her downfall. I think they could use that and make it work for her character (having been used and abused by her brother and dealing with so many awful people who tried to control her and her dragon babies, she desperately holds onto power and struggles to trust people after being betrayed many times), but its really not. They are just moving things together to make her snap and go all "burn them all!" or something. I hope I am wrong and they have another plan for her though, even if its not the Iron Throne. 

Jon, give your wolf a pat on the head damn it! Poor poor Ghost and his sad little whimpers. Someone give that direworlf a treat and a tummy run you monsters!

Brienne and Jaimie finally get together, and he runs off on a suicidal charge to probably kill his crazy sister. Freaking typical. I get that he is all angsty and feels like he probably has to stop her and he supported her for too long and he has made awful life choices and cant deserve happiness, but...Brienne was crying! Crying!

• Love 13
18 minutes ago, Jenesis said:

Very quick comment right now.

Am I going crazy? Why does Dany and everyone act like her helping against the NK is some favor? If she wants people to bow, she needs to protect them.

That’s what I kept saying. The NK was a common enemy. He was as much an enemy to Winterfell/the North as he was to the realm that Danny says is hers, which means he’s her enemy too.

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, Soup333 said:

I normally don’t post here but I have a question. Did Jon tell Dany he loved her or it was just him saying she’s his queen?

Also, shouldn’t Euron be putting two and two together about Cersei’s pregnancy? How would Tyrion know she’s pregnant if the child was really his? 

He has more to gain by pretending its his than by calling her out.

• Love 8
(edited)

Sigh...RIP Missandei and Rhaegal.

I don't know what more Cersei has to do to convince Tyrion that she is, in fact, a monster.  The Cersei who "loved her kids" has been dead for quite some time.  I sure hope the point has been driven home now.

That said, if the choice to rule is between the megalomaniac who rides a dragon and the one who doesn't, yeah, I'll pass on both.  I think Daenerys lost me for good when she asked Jon to deny who he was so that she could rule unchallenged, when Jon continues to tell her that he doesn't even want the IT, nor did he want King in the North.

Sansa was completely reasonable about postponing things til the soldiers had time to recuperate and the wounded had time to get healthy.  That's basic common sense which Daenerys chose to ignore b/c she HAS to take the IT NOWNOWNOW and also b/c it came from Sansa.  And she wonders why she, and now Arya, don't trust her.

I love that Sansa told Tyrion about Jon.  Sansa's loyalty is to the North first, just as Varys' is to the realm.  Both have been really clear about that, and they each have come to the conclusion that Jon would be a better ruler than Daenerys or Cersei.  And they're right.  Mostly b/c he's not a megalomaniac.  

As an aside, I really, really want Sansa/Tyrion.  I have no idea if this is where the show is headed but I'd friggin love it.

Edited by lvbalgurl
  • Love 17
Just now, MarySNJ said:

I really don’t understand Sansa’s antipathy. After ALL of what they faced, how could she doubt that Dany was trying to do the right thing for the whole of Westeros?  As much as I have sympathized with the character I don’t think what she’s doing in regard to Dany is reasonable. Okay, yes, the soldiers are battle weary, but the way she said she would have to ask the commanders sounded more like “never” to me and I would guess to Dany as well. Jon seemed to pick up on it as well which is why he made an executive decision to prepare the troops to go South. 

And Arya: “ She not one of us.” Yeesh. Nevertheless, Dany came to the aid of the North. 

Sansa is all about Sansa.  Always has been.  When did she ever make a sacrifice for anybody or anything? 

She brought on her own suffering through her own vanity and lies.  If she told the truth on the Kings road about Joffrey and Arya, her betrothal to that monster would he been dissolved and they would have sent her back to Winterfell.

If she told the truth about Littlefinger to the nobles in the Vale, she wouldn't have ended up being tortured by Ramsay.

She is devious and selfish, just like LF, Cersei and Ramsay.  She is just not as strong as them.

• Useful 5
  • Love 15
48 minutes ago, mikal768 said:

Small FYI the ambush happened off dragonstone not at Kings landing 

AAAGGHHH see I'm so mad I can't even get my castles right!

5 minutes ago, Kanner said:

It looks like at the moment Cersei and Euron have the strongest relationship. How depressing.

Sam and Gilly have a strong relationship and aren’t homicidal and evil, so there’s that. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
43 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Did anyone else's breath catch when Arya said she had no intentions of returning to Winterfell? Not that I'm predicting she'll die, but damm, she's not going to see her family again? 

Wouldn't you think Sansa's time with Littlefinger would've made her smarter? Lord Baelish was the master of sitting on information until he could best use it to his advantage. Sansa blabbing Jon's secret two seconds after he told her was not very prudent. Especially when it was clear the Dragon Queen's sanity was hanging by a thread. 

My prediction is on Varys selling Dany out. There's no way Euron just happened upon her fleet. He was definitely tipped off. 

Arya and the Hound, back on the road again? I'm here for it. 

I'm heartbroken for Greyworm. 

I dunno how vary would tipped off euron.. Besides Dany's army is Jon's army.. So if he wanted Jon to win he'd still need the army intact... So I think it was just sound strategy... They knew she'd go back there before making way to KL so they waited... 

As for Sansa.. Of course she blabbed she doesn't trust Dany.. Also the info is time sensitive.. Everyone was about to leave to take KL once she wins.. That's it she's on the throne ppl aren't gonna wanna fight another war for the IT... Also Jon doesn't want it and has been going out of his way to side with Dany.. Which means The North doesn't stay independent.. Also. I think Sansa knows tyrion has feelings for her( she may have for him now)  so she was appealing to a man  who cares for her and finally she's noticed Dany being at odds with tyrion and his fear of her.. So she pressed that button as well.. All in all Sansa was right all the way around this week

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
Just now, Law Mom said:

Sansa seems to be the only one who actually listens to her advisors. I respect someone who says “I don’t know but I’ll find out.” Maybe she should be queen.

Dany has listened to her advisors and that’s the problem. She would already be sitting her ass on the throne if she went with her gut or listened to Yara and Olenna.  But she listened to men and has paid the price. 

• Love 9
58 minutes ago, kellog010 said:

Dany being judged and convicted anyway might as well fuck shit up. Jon has a penis so he should rule is bullshit. 

Rheagar was older than Dany so Rheagar and his children would always be ahead of Dany in the line of succession regardless of their gender.

• Love 9