Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E13: Top 10 Reveal (2019.04.15)

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

I thought for sure Katy would pick either Eddie or Evelyn. I'm very happy she went with Alyssa instead. And I'm glad Dimitrius and Uche got saved, too. I feel like Uche should've been the one to sing "Sir Duke" instead-he could've had a lot of fun with it. 

• Love 13

Good thing Uche didn't go with full sleeves because that would have just been over the top LOL

I enjoyed Eddie Island early on but that last performance was straight up trash.  Pitchy and in the words of Simon Cowell…..INDULGENT.   I'm glad no one saved him.

• LOL 2
  • Love 12

Wow an ok top 10.  Tonight was way more enjoyable than last night.  Did most of the bottom half come from the first hour of the show?

I would have  gone with the country gal over Ragu but no biggee. 

Side note.  I'm old -the song "Dust in the Wind" by Kansas is a haunting, haunting song.  I don't know what Evelyn was singing.  Download the original version.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 13

I probably would have picked Ashley over Alyssa based on the overall body of work but Alyssa was better than Ashley tonight. I am just glad I never have to see Eddie or Evelyn again. This episode was another bummer for me, much like last night. I felt like most of these people seemed so much better last week. No one really wowed me tonight. 

Eddie's performance was straight up embarrassingly bad tonight and it makes me mad that he got this far at all. There was so many talented people they sent home in Hawaii and then last week that should have had his spot. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 14

I wish Ashley had made it through, but the rest I’m happy with. And while I’m glad Lionel saved Uche, that kid has to toughen up. What happens on American Idol is in no way a reflection on him as a person. I hope they get him some counseling. 

• Love 11

Laci is lucky she was safe because her song choice tonight did not showcase her voice at all.  That was icky.

They all loved Ashley's performance of Stevie Wonder and I thought it was horrible.  Sure she seemed relaxed but that was also what was bugging me.  She is there to be an entertainer.   She slapped hands too long, didn't find her pocket and it all seemed karaoke to me.  I'm glad I'm not a judge.

• Love 13

I did a straight up impression of Evelyn singing Dust in the Wind. Mr. Jackjill was dying. Full on Dory/whale/off key singing. How in the world did she make it this far. I was sure Katy was going to save her. Thank goodness that other girl picked a Katy Perry song as her save song. 

Uche is quite the performer. He is entertaining. I've been hate watching to see Evelyn leave, but I'm a tiny bit invested now. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

Side note.  I'm old -the song "Dust in the Wind" by Kansas is a haunting, haunting song.  I don't know what Evelyn was singing.  Download the original version.  

Yeah, that version was...interesting, to say the least. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I had stopped paying attention by the time Uche performed and I have to hand it to Lionel for giving us a genuinely great TV moment there. It was the only part of the whole show tonight that really grabbed my attention. 

I'd be curious to know who the bottom four in audience votes really were.

• Love 6

I missed Evelyn's performance but didn't she sing DITW somewhere along the line already like she had that Chris Isaak song?  I know I've heard her murder part of it.   Seems like she has her go to songs that have gotten the most reaction in the past.  I call it "affected and annoying to the max" but others might be intrigued by it.   

Glad Katy came to her senses about her.   

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, LilaFowler said:

Hey Evelyn, fun fact! You can't win American Idol if you've been booted off!

So happy right now.

At least she can now return the #1 apple growing place in the world. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

I only hope that Evelyn does not sully So You Think You Can Dance or The Amazing Race in her pursuit of reality TV fame.  So glad that Alyssa sang a Katy song ... I am convinced that made the difference.

Edited by HelenCrump
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9

I haven't connected to Laine yet but I thought his song choice tonight was perfect for his voice and image.  That was the closest I've seen so far where I could understand the appeal.

I don't get the Madison love at all.

I also don't connect to Harry Potter.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, HelenCrump said:

I only hope that Evelyn does not sully So You Think You Can Dance or The Amazing Race in her pursuit of reality TV fame.  So glad that Alyssa sang a Katy song ... I am convinced that made the difference.

She would have been the hate watch for sure.  I can't see her doing the theme nights because her range is Whale Dory and that is hard to find on Pop Night.   Plus her covered frocks were getting old too.   The one tonight looked like it was made out of an umbrella.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

Laci in particular needs to be super duper careful on her song choices and arrangements of the wackiness that is to come.  I'm assuming wackiness is coming....they haven't changed the format of AI too much have they?   Haven't watched in quite a few years.

This lineup basically has the potential to wipe out the female contestants pretty quickly.   This year's female selections aren't that strong.   I hope they don't keep the whole thing fakey balance for the sake of gender equality.  There are some strong male contenders and I'm OK with that.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

This lineup basically has the potential to wipe out the female contestants pretty quickly.   This year's female selections aren't that strong.   I hope they don't keep the whole thing fakey balance for the sake of gender equality.  There are some strong male contenders and I'm OK with that.

If they cared about gender parity they wouldn't have chosen a top 14 that was split 8/6 in favour of men in the first place.

• Love 3

OMG, I literally shrieked when KP picked NOT Evelyn!!  I’m not even sure who she DID pick . . .just that it wasn’t Evelyn!

I think I would have chosen Ashley over Wade.  

Demetrius needs to pull it together stat.

I was surprised Uche didn’t get through on the vote—he was certainly the most entertaining last night.  Don’t lose the joy, Uche!!  

Alejandro’s song was better tonight than last night’s, but I am just expecting more from him.  He’s done better.

Edited by Real4real
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

Wow an ok top 10.  Tonight was way more enjoyable than last night.  Did most of the bottom half come from the first hour of the show?

I would have  gone with the country gal over Ragu but no biggee. 

Oh Girl, I agree. Please, please download the original song and prepare to be floored. I was having a WTF moment with that rendition. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I was so thrilled Uche and Demetrius were saved! Normally they wouldn't appeal to me that much but with this season's generic group they entertain me.  You never know what they both may do and so here's to the judges for saving them :) Other than that.... eh. 

The group left behind were forgettable.  And I won't remember about 4 of the top 10 by this time next year.  I'm sad that with all the talent out there it's turned out to be that kind of season. 

Someone upthread complained about Katie and her attention seeking ways.  I'll admit she entertains me at times, but mostly it's too obviously a 'Look at me!! Look at me!!' ploy that's too long and irritating. My hubby thinks she's attractive-- errr... I mean hilarious, though, which makes me give him the side eye... 

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

Remember that last season all 4 of the judges wildcards did not last and were voted off quickly.  The winner will be someone the public voted into the Top 7.

All the wildcard picks in both seasons were people of color. 

Edited by twilightzone
  • Love 2

Maybe its my ears, or my tv (speakers on the lower back)... but I have a problem hearing the vocals over the music a lot. 

Does anyone else have problems with hearing these folks enunciate their words, particularly tonight- Lacy, Uche, and Alejandro?  I feel like Uche needs a lot of work. He has raw talent, but needs refinement and control IMO.

Here is Dust in the Wind by Sarah Brightman (live version)

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, twilightzone said:

Remember that last season all 4 of the judges wildcards did not last and were voted off quickly.  The winner will be someone the public voted into the Top 7.

All the wildcard picks in both seasons were people of color. 

I’m not surprised.  I mean the demographics of this show have always been the same.  I’ve been away for awhile so I’ll be interested to see if there are any changes to the general voting blocks.  People who enjoy the music of people of color don’t watch or at least vote on this show.

AI usually has decent exposure so if nothing else just to get your name out there and have people hear you sing whether you win or not.  Uche won’t win but hopefully he can do broadway or something that showcases his entire personality so that he can go beyond being the wedding singer.  He seems too sensitive to really try to be in the primary music industry.

• Love 1

Glad Evelyn was not saved. It sure looks like it is the season for a male winner. I would have hoped Riley would have gone through for the fun country singer over Alyssa. Alyssa was not voted through by the public in 2018 or 2019 so a judges save will do not make her a winner. Riley or even Ashley would have had a chance to make it further and not make it a finals full of male contestants.

I do think this might make a Madison vs Laine final? with so many males, they will split  the votes in some ways and Madison being the strongest female I think will be the last female standing. I do think this is Laine's to lose. I think he (and Alyssa) were brought back for a reason and Laine seems to have some sort of support from the show and a ton of fan support whatever forum or page I look at. 

• Love 3

So glad Evelyn and Eddie are gone!  Wish Wade and Walker hadn't made it.  I love Dust in the Wind and she totally didn't get it.

Was surprised Ashley went, but didn't like her performance tonight so I wasn't too upset.  

Wasn't impressed with Laci - she sounded weak.

I thought Laine sounded good.

Alyssa thinks pretty highly of herself.

I liked Jeremiah's original song.  Sounded a bit like John Denver's Take Me Home Country Roads with regard to the lyrics.

Alejandro is such a sweetie!  I KNEW he was going to be one of the last to be announced so I was on edge.

Edited by SnarkAttack
Forgot something.
  • Love 3

Well, I've found someone to hate. The guy with glasses that sang a Jonas Brothers song. Walker, I think. He is so high school show choir. I can't deal with him.

My faves had been Wade and Laci, but they are both so hit or miss. I feel like I'm already growing tired of Wade and Laci sounded pretty bad last night.

I love Demetrius to pieces so I'm glad he was saved, but he will for sure be gone next week so that sucks.

I wanna like Alejandro because he's adorable, but his voice hurts me. I don't like it at all most of the time. I think the only time I actually enjoyed it was in the duet with Ben Harper.

I also wanna like Jeremiah but he just doesn't do anyhting for me.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, jackjill89 said:

I wish I could like this 100X

Me toooooo.  

Bet Evelyn tries for The Voice next.  Ugh.  I watched her on 90 Day Fiancé and she was so unlikeable.  “Fun fact” indeed.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Katy has been calling Alyssa "My Sauce" since the audition round, so she clearly has a personal connection/mentorship feeling for her.  It was so obvious to me that she'd pick her Sauce, especially after she sang a Katy song.

I still don't get Alejandro.  He sings okay, but not great.  I thought his guitar playing was mostly what blew the judges away, and then he goes and uses other instruments in these rounds.  

• Love 5

So glad that Vote for the Worst isn't around anymore because we would have had to endure Evelyn and Eddie Island for way too long.

Love how Uche walked straight into Alejandro's waiting arms after Lionel saved him.  I've seen Alejandro give big, encouraging hugs to other contestants.  Seems like he's a really good guy.

• Love 6

Alyssa thinks pretty highly of herself.

THIS is true, I think this is what I've been trying to put my finger on for weeks now, why she doesn't come off so well. I think she wants this win sooooo much, it's sort of a desperation that isn't attractive to see.

I couldn't finish last night's show, so I'm shocked to hear Uche didn't get voted in by Ameriker. he's so damn much fun! Otherwise. Ameriker got it right, and the judge's saves were good too.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 1

Hey Evelyn, fun fact! You can't win American Idol if you've been booted off!

I thought this made Katy P's "this might not be the end for you!" unintentionally cruel.
 (Or maybe she went to the dark side during a commercial break.)

Maybe its my ears, or my tv (speakers on the lower back)... but I have a problem hearing the vocals over the music a lot. 

That wasn't just you; sound mixing has been a challenge for years.  The amazing part is that there's a (relatively) simple fix:  put the show on electronic delay, and move the mixing up or down to adjust for loud band, backup singers, etc.  Otherwise it looks like producer meddling, whether it is or not.  (Sort-of-fun fact:  producer meddling this way was predicted in the 1980 movie "The Apple", which was intended to be an allegorical criticism of the entertainment industry meets The Book of Genesis, but ended up just predicting many things.  There's a RiffTrax version.)

Also a fact:  when I didn't want to hear the judging of Evelyn, I changed the channel, and Hulu recommended a biography of Pamela Smart, another teacher from New Hampshire, who had her students kill her husband.  Someone at Hulu has a dark sense of humor, which was greatly appreciated. 

I liked Riley, but she was locked in to country.  Laci, to her credit, took a risk on a song in the one situation where it mattered least.  Also, I wondered if Alyssa had a different song ready if she'd been voted in.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I like the top 10 but would have traded Ashley for Alyssa.   Ashley and Alejandro were my favorites from the audition rounds.  I loved her "Come Away With Me" audition.  I think she should have stuck with singer/songwriter numbers moving forward.  (Last night's number was a huge misstep.)  She would have done well with Tori Amos or Kate Bush.  Or, going further back, Joni Mitchell or Carole King.

• Love 9

OK, literally no clue what some people are hearing here when it comes to Wade. His voice is transcendent - it has a massively unique quality and you'd know it on the radio after two notes. That's a fabulous intangible. And at least he can stay on pitch - more than I can say for many others, including Uche.

I like Uche - a lot. I love watching him. But that was a pitchy mess last night, and the tears didn't do it for me - I was a little put off that Lionel responded to it by handing him a spot in top 10. Did it make for good TV? Sure. And I would have put Uche there anyway, but I wouldn't have done it that way. 

After weeks of annoyance, I finally figured out during the initial Sunday performance who Evelyn reminds me of - she is Jessica Pare. The 1970s garb showed me Megan Draper, and suddenly I understood why she made me twitch. Jessica Pare was a second-rate actress, Megan  Draper was a second-rate Mrs. Draper, and Evelyn is a second-rate singer.  Good riddance.

Nice job Bobby Bones on trying to get your country girl through but I'm glad the judges didn't take the bait. Riley's voice is too thin. 

However, glad he put Dimitrius out there first. That guy is one of the best singers I've ever heard. Period. Who in the heck is voting for the likes of Walker and Laci over him?? I cannot fathom it. He's getting all my votes next week.

Madison's range is so incredible, and it's hard to pick up on because she makes it sound SO effortless. I sing You and I all the time - it's a HARD song. After midnight, I don't even bother because I can't hit all those crazy high notes. This bitch sang it an octave up!! INSANE!! I don't think I want to sing it ever again now. Her arrangement was fab.

Glad Alyssa made it. She needs to sing current pop that works for her age and emotional range - not that Waitress song which should never be sung by anyone under 25 years old. Also, that dress she wore the other night was a crime against humanity. She looked far more like a star tonight.

Bye Eddie. Ryan definitely deserved to be there over you. I am still mad about it and won't forgive the judges for that major misstep anytime soon.

If Laine keeps playing in this Elvis lane, I don't think anyone is going to beat him. The power of tweens cannot be denied.

My loves are Dimitrius, Alejandro, Wade, and Jeremiah. I would listen to anything they do. This was mostly the right top 10. Glad everyone woke up a little bit last night and cut the fat. 

Edited by thesupremediva1
  • Love 5

So..this is the first time this AI season that I'm posting. I wanted to post earlier but things got in the way and didn't have time. I think my take on the Top Ten will be different than many posts here, so don't throw tomatoes at me...lol!

10. Wade Cota - Horrible! What...what in the world of American Idol is he doing here? Should never had made it this far. He forgot his words in the group round. Simon Cowell, where are you!!!

9. Walker Burroughs - Someone described his performance as very "high schoolish". They were correct! Not very AI type. He'll be gone soon.

8. Alejandro Aranda - I like his guitar playing better than his voice. I know his voice appeals to this generation, but compared to others that didn't make it, he should be sitting at home.

7. Laci Kaye Booth - I thought she sounded out of tune Sunday night and yesterday. What was America thinking?

6. Alyssa Raghu - I was a big fan of her last season. I thought she should've gone through. Well, she comes back with the same voice that had me rooting for her. But...with a bit of arrogance. That right there is when I stopped rooting for her. Plus, I thought Ashley Hess was a better singer. More polished than her. Good move on Alyssa's part, for picking a Katy Perry's song.

5. Dimitrius Graham - Ok, I thought he was great in the earlier rounds, but since then he's dropped off a bit. I place him 5th because he has that capability to be one of the top singers in this competition.

4. Uche - Here's another contestant that I liked early on more than recent. He is hit or miss. Like others have posted that he is entertaining with his dancing and all, but sooner or later this will turn into a "singing" competition and he might be dancing all the way home. 

3. Laine Hardy - Laine seems to be the front runner but some how he seems to be coasting along. I thought I get blown away these last two nights by him, but I didn't. What is he waiting for. Show us what you really got! Or maybe we've all been fooled. Doesn't matter, he'll probably make the top 5.

2. Jeremiah Lloyd Harmon - This dude has a good voice but appearance is sort of important right? He looks like a pizza delivery boy! Seriously, even though his style of singing is not what I listen to I think he is a force in this competition.

1. Madison Vandenburg - She's the best of the Top Ten! Great voice. Great personality. Humble. Now, she is no Kelly Clarkson but she is Madison Vandenburg and that's ok with me.

A few points...

. I was turned off by Uche's moping after it was announced he didn't make the T10. I was especially turned off by Lionel Ritchie's dramatic rescue showing obvious favoritism.

. It's very disappointing that the judges aren't judging at all. They're just giving everyone a blue participation ribbon. There were many contestants that were off key or pitchy as Randy Jackson used to say and the judges didn't mention it. I was not a fan of Jennifer Lopez as a judge but I would welcome her back to replace Katy Perry. In fact, I wish Harry Connick Jr. and Keith Urban were back. They at least would let them know what they did wrong and what they needed to do to correct those mistakes.

. In my opinion Ashley Hess should've gone through instead of Alyssa Raghu. This is strictly comparing their singing voice, Ashley had the more mature and established sound. If only Ashley had stayed behind the piano! 

Edited by rr2911
  • Love 8
34 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

If Laine keeps playing in this Elvis lane, I don't think anyone is going to beat him. The power of tweens middle aged white ladies cannot be denied.

Fixed it for you.

7 hours ago, niklj said:

Why did Wade Cota remind me of Lee Dewyze tonight

Pale blue eyes, thick dark hair, jowls (even though Lee is normal weight, he does have chipmunk cheeks).  To be fair, we used to call him 'No Key Lee'- Wade does seem to be in tune most of the time.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, thesupremediva1 said:

After weeks of annoyance, I finally figured out during the initial Sunday performance who Evelyn reminds me of - she is Jessica Pare. The 1970s garb showed me Megan Draper, and suddenly I understood why she made me twitch. Jessica Pare was a second-rate actress, Megan  Draper was a second-rate Mrs. Draper, and Evelyn is a second-rate singer.  Good riddance.

I never post but had to reply to this. I said the same thing to my mom last week!  Transparent phonies....

• Love 3

Laci, to her credit, took a risk on a song in the one situation where it mattered least.

Same with Jeremiah, who sang his horrible, trite original song, since he will never again have the chance to risk that again in this competition.

• Love 8

First let me say I am filled with self loathing that I even watch this show anymore, but there it is, and I do. Second, these judges suck ass.  I appreciate them trying to be positive but to me, this is one of the weakest final 10 in the show's history. None of them really blow me away and all of them have occasional good performances, among mostly MEH performances.

Uche - grow the fuck up dude, it's a competitive contest, if you can't handle not getting a tongue bath from America then maybe this isn't for you dawg. Plus, you're not AI material, more like Liberace in Vegas, which isn't a bad thing, just that this aint your thing, IMO.

Ragu - Just, naw. Not good. Not even on her best days. The best thing about her was that lame jumpsuit.

Laci - I'm so over her breathy, raspy schtick. It's tired and she's giving me 45 year old chain smoking divorcee vibes. I can only stomach so much of the country "done me wrong" sound though, so maybe that's affecting my comments about her.

Wayne - dude has pipes but it always feels like he's channeling someone else, not himself. I'm just not that into you dude.

Jeremiah - Love his backstory, but to me his voice isn't up to par. He can write a song though, and I see him more as a successful song writer, not a singer. I don't think he's AI material but I'm glad he's got a platform for industry folks to see his potential. Plus if he becomes a successful songwriter, I'd bet good money Pastor Daddy'll come a knockin' on his door with a big old tithing bowl and he can tell him to suck it!

Demetrius - Seriously? That sucked. Why is he in the Top 10? It felt gratuitous to me, like he's from a difficult background so they're giving him a shot. But he just doesn't sound that good.

Alejandro - Someone asked why? I think they're trying very hard to include a broad representation of finalists here and he is the Latino rep. Again, he's got his good days, but mostly he's MEH.

Madison - What are they smoking that she love her so much. She has nice moments but is so pitchy and uneven during a song. I don't get it.

Laine - He's got too much schtick, but he's the only one who is consistently good every week. But I'm so bored of his thing already.

Walker - Harry Potter with a pork pie douchnozzle hat. My biggest query was 'how does his hat stay on his head at such a weird angle? Does he use bobby pins or super glue or velcro or what??? The pork pie hat, the Harry Potter specs, the suspenders, the flood water pants, it's all just too much distraction. If you're really that good, you don't need a lot of visual crap disturbing your performance.

If I forgot anyone it's because they're forgettable.

Oh, and Evelyn, don't let the door hit you on the way out. She looked stunned, like nobody's ever told her the truth about her caterwauling.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, gingerella said:

Walker - Harry Potter with a pork pie douchnozzle hat. My biggest query was 'how does his hat stay on his head at such a weird angle? Does he use bobby pins or super glue or velcro or what??? The pork pie hat, the Harry Potter specs, the suspenders, the flood water pants, it's all just too much distraction. If you're really that good, you don't need a lot of visual crap disturbing your performance.

I

Remember the show, What's Happenin'? 

Walker dresses like those guys.  From the 80's.

And even then,  it was bad. 

But they danced good. 

• Love 1

Wait wait wait wait wait.   Voters save Climb Every Mountain boy and don't advance Uche to the top 10???    Who in their right mind would go to a  CEM-boy concert?   But if Uche came to a club anywhere near me, I'd be right there in the front row.   That man is an Entertainer, with a capital E.   And like I said previoiusly, I'm old enough to be his grandmother.

Edited by Ladyrain
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, Tosia said:

Remember the show, What's Happenin'? 

Walker dresses like those guys.  From the 80's.

And even then,  it was bad. 

But they danced good. 

To me he looks like the love child of Harry Potter and Urkle.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1