Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: Life Is a Cabaret

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, GSManiac said:

ETA: the only thing that felt off for me was the fact there was no scene in between the David/Stevie talk in the hotel reception and Rolland calling around trying to find the missing Stevie. It needed one. It felt like there was meant to be a scene but it got cut for time.

Definitely, something was missing in that spot.

As soon as Stevie started crying at the front desk, I expected a 'Maybe This Time' moment - but it still did not disappoint.

An outstanding season finale. It's a shame that the Television Academy fails to recognize the show, because that Best Actress In A Comedy Series trophy belongs in Catherine O'Hara's hands this year.  

Even Roland was amusing in this episode - that line about Jocelyn planning a funeral for under a hundred bucks gave me a good laugh.

• Love 13

I loved that Stevie knew David was hiding something and immediately jumped up to hug him when he told her the big news. I love their friendship so much.

I know that Moira is Moira, but I felt so bad that David and Patrick's attempt at an engagement announcement kept getting interrupted by Moira (first by her phone ringing and then by her screaming because her movie got shelved). I'm not one of those people who thinks it's okay to be a bridezilla who yells at everyone about how "THIS IS MY DAY!" but poor David just wanted to share his news with everyone.

I really want to see the whole Cabaret production! Before watching the season finale, I watched the season premiere of Fosse/Verdon and both episodes had the same title (Life Is a Cabaret) so I feel like I need to go watch Cabaret now.

• Like 1
  • Love 18
10 hours ago, GSManiac said:

Wow this episode just flew by.

Loved Ted's earnest enjoyment of the show and wow how amazing was Patrick during his opening number. 

Loved Stevie actually knew that Patrick was going to propose and her running off to get an engagement present was why she was late. Even if it was a bit contrived.

Would love to see more of the Cabaret performance. Hopefully they release it online some where. This episode easily could have been an hour.

ETA: the only thing that felt off for me was the fact there was no scene in between the David/Stevie talk in the hotel reception and Rolland calling around trying to find the missing Stevie. It needed one. It felt like there was meant to be a scene but it got cut for time.

My exact words when the credits rolled were, "Wow. That was fast."

Your post took almost all the words out of my mouth; I came here to post something eerily similar.

The only thing I would add is I'm sad this episode ended on a down note when there were so many positive changes throughout. It's probably the only time I've felt bad for Moira and I selfishly don't want that idea to be the final one presented for this season.

• Love 12
28 minutes ago, Catfi9ht said:

The only thing I would add is I'm sad this episode ended on a down note when there were so many positive changes throughout. It's probably the only time I've felt bad for Moira and I selfishly don't want that idea to be the final one presented for this season.

I felt this way, too! Usually the seasons end on a happy, touching note and this one suddenly took a turn. Like, Moira crawling into the closet was funny, but I also feel like Moira did some growing and learning to be supportive of others this season, so I don't want things to go badly for her. Just that end scene felt like it belonged in a season opener, not at the end of a season finale.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, strippedhalo said:

I felt this way, too! Usually the seasons end on a happy, touching note and this one suddenly took a turn. Like, Moira crawling into the closet was funny, but I also feel like Moira did some growing and learning to be supportive of others this season, so I don't want things to go badly for her. Just that end scene felt like it belonged in a season opener, not at the end of a season finale.

Agreed. Moira's scene with Stevie was so lovely; she really has grown (and so has Stevie, for that matter) and I wanted Crows to be a success for her. It didn't detract from my enjoyment of the episode, but it was an odd note to end the season on.

And Patrick as the MC...man. He was fabulous. Stevie was terrific, too. She doesn't have the best voice, but she really sold the emotion in "Maybe This Time."

Edited by Pamela
  • Love 15

For some reason, I wouldn't be surprised if next season we found out that Alexis never got on the plane... there was something very off to me about how she said bye to Ted. But maybe that's me reading into it because everything has been screaming out that she didn't want to go. 

Otherwise, a cute finale. I teared up with Stevie hitting her big moment. I also felt her entirely with her 'everyone is living their life around me' mentality as I am going through something very similar. I need a crazy Moira pep talk. 

• Love 18

Did anyone catch the previews for...I guess next season? There was a clip that started after the credits but my DVR cut it off.  😞

I loved that the production was an actual success! Patrick was great and Stevie nailed her big moment. 

I think this season more than any other has really developed such heart among these relationships. I'll be sad to see it wrap up next season.

• Love 5

This show has something other shows sorely lack, and that's relationships. David/Stevie is such a sweet friendship. And I just really loved the Moira/Stevie interaction in this episode and Stevie's solo was wonderful and it made me really emotional to watch her be good at something that was so out of her comfort zone.

And it was like watching this cynical girl who has a really big heart come into her own on that stage and it made me even more emotional to see how emotional Moira was.

It's neat to see how the characters have grown these 5 years while still retaining those quirks. 

Moira crawling into the closet was sort of hilarious, because it's such a Moira thing to do, but hearing her cry was just really sad. And I'm not sure why they ended the episode like that.

Alexis and her "Ted is going to gallapago now," was funny. 

The episode was good and it was over too soon.

• Love 18
8 hours ago, taragel said:

Did anyone catch the previews for...I guess next season? There was a clip that started after the credits but my DVR cut it off.  😞

I loved that the production was an actual success! Patrick was great and Stevie nailed her big moment. 

I think this season more than any other has really developed such heart among these relationships. I'll be sad to see it wrap up next season.

No previews, just an ad with old clips to download the pop ad.

This show makes me cry and laugh and I love it so much. The expression of pride in David’s face when Stevie was singing was beautiful. Also love that Patrick asked for her blessing. 

• Love 18

I loved seeing David and Patrick sitting next to each other during the show and both looking so proud of Alexis and Stevie. Ha, and good to see that Alexis has improved her dance skills since A Little Bit Alexis.

Moira's talk with Stevie was so great too. Yes, Moira is still Moira, but like David and Alexis, her awareness and her heart have grown since arriving in Schitt's Creek (Johnny always seemed like the most human of the four when they arrived).

Once upon a time, Moira would have been shoving everyone out of the way (à la George Costanza at a children's birthday party where a fire breaks out) so that she could do a one woman show (or deigning to cast some of the locals as her backup dancers at best) but she was so proud of Stevie which was very sweet to see. As sweet as it was to see her beaming proudly in the wings, I was really glad that she told Stevie too.

Stevie's gift for David was perfect since his repeated request for towels were the first interaction they had.

• Love 16

Damn. If you'd told me during the first season, or even anywhere up till the 3rd, that Schitt's Creek, of all shows, would repeatedly make me cry during the fourth and fifth seasons I would've laughed heartily and rolled my eyes. What a great show.

• Love 16
On 4/10/2019 at 8:21 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I really want to see the whole Cabaret production!

We got three numbers (I am including "Money" from 2 episodes ago). For actors who are not musical theater regulars that was already asking them a lot in the short production time of a TV episode. The show used what are probably the three most recognizable numbers from the musical, which also left time for the rest of the plots (although I agree that the transition from Stevie crying to her being AWOL felt brutal). Perhaps we'll get outtakes from other numbers at some point, but I felt that what we saw was satisfying and enough to prove that the production was a success on all fronts (as an amateur production).

Amongst many enjoyable moments I would single out Stevie saying that Patrick asked for her blessing a few weeks previously and David not even batting an eye, because of course it is the most normal thing that his fiancé-to-be would go to her instead of his parents.

Also the full grinning proud faces of Ted and David in the audience; it's difficult to say if the latter was happier for Patrick or for Stevie.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 9

I would have preferred just watching Cabaret. Tbh I have dvr-ed the last 6 eps and likely will not watch. I caught this ep by accident.  I enjoyed the show more when it was about the Schitts and the oddball town, not the Schitts finding true love. I am not into Alexis and the vet or David and his fiancee. 

That being said, I enjoyed the Cabaret scenes. 

Also, on a personal note not sure why they are going to the Galapagos but I;ve been and it's incredible. Also kind of sad bc I just don't think the environment will hold for long, so it's like seeing something unique that will disappear. 

I know that many of you love this show. I have also enjoyed it very much - but not so much this season.

There were many good parts of this finale. It was a real treat seeing Emily Hampshire perform in a role that required more than just her usual introverted self. It was wonderful to see her deliver a performance that was truly excellent and I'm glad they gave her the chance to show what a great actor she is.

So many of the other major characters had almost zero participation in this episode. I felt very sad for Jennifer Robertson who plays Jocelyn Schitt. The look on her face when she delivered her single line during David's speech seemed very bizarre to me. It reminded me of a toddler and seemed like a sad way for her to end this season.

My main point, however, is that after watching this episode, I have no further interest in either the Alexis or Moira characters. I have never been interested in the Roland character and for the longest time, I had hoped they would retire him or greatly reduce his role. In this episode he seemed even more repulsive than his usual self.

What was it in this episode that caused me to lose interest in the Alexis char? I have finally concluded that most all of her expressions and body movements were the same few expressions and movements. I finally decided that after watching her perform a few times in this epi, the character is extremely boring and she is not a very good actor either. I listened to her lines and found they were delivered with a terrible lack of emotion or expression. There are several other reasons why I don't want to ever see her again. But I fear people here would not enjoy hearing those reasons.

I tend to feel the same way about the Moira character. Catherine O'Hara is a much better actor than is Annie Murphy. But after five seasons, I find her character ridiculous. I have no interest in ever seeing this character again. I know that many of you love both the actor and the character and I'm sorry if what I'm saying rubs you the wrong way. This opinion just came to me after watching this last episode.

I've spoken about my opinion of the Roland character several times before and I'm guessing that many of you understand what I mean and I don't need to repeat myself.

Edited by MisterBluxom
  • Love 2
On 4/9/2019 at 10:19 PM, GSManiac said:

Wow this episode just flew by.

Loved Ted's earnest enjoyment of the show and wow how amazing was Patrick during his opening number. 

Loved Stevie actually knew that Patrick was going to propose and her running off to get an engagement present was why she was late. Even if it was a bit contrived.

Would love to see more of the Cabaret performance. Hopefully they release it online some where. This episode easily could have been an hour.

I loved Ted's pure enjoyment of the show too.  

I loved that Stevie knew about the proposal and that she got a gift, but WHY did she think she needed to give the gift right.that.moment?  Made no sense.  I was also immensely confused by the lack of any sense of time passing between the Stevie & David scene and then Roland saying she was missing.  I thought he was being his usual stupid, annoying self at first and it had been like 5 minutes. 

On 4/10/2019 at 12:57 AM, Fake Jan Brady said:

My favourite relationship in this show always has been/always will be Stevie and David. Her happiness at his engagement news, his pride in her performance - I teared up both times.

I'd pay scalper prices to see Moira Rose presents Cabaret.

I teared up during Stevie's performance.  It also brought back memories of Emily Hampshire's role in 12 Monkeys who was stuck in Paris and became a recording artist.  So, yeah.  But, that performance made me tear up and to see David's and Moira's pride in her made me tear up more. 

The only thing that felt off to me was everyone assuming Stevie was upset that David and Patrick were getting married.  Were they all thinking she was jealous and wanted David for herself?  Because, I haven't seen any hints of that in quite some time.  Because they kept asking Stevie if she was ok, etc, I was afraid for a hot second they were going to have David turn Patrick down and go for her, but I quickly dismissed that idea.  I love all of the relationships where they are, except for Stevie who was right in that she needs to get out and find what makes her happy.  Not saying it has to be a relationship, but something. 

On 4/10/2019 at 6:37 PM, weightyghost said:

For some reason, I wouldn't be surprised if next season we found out that Alexis never got on the plane... there was something very off to me about how she said bye to Ted. But maybe that's me reading into it because everything has been screaming out that she didn't want to go. 

Otherwise, a cute finale. I teared up with Stevie hitting her big moment. I also felt her entirely with her 'everyone is living their life around me' mentality as I am going through something very similar. I need a crazy Moira pep talk. 

I thought the anvils were falling heavily this episode that was where they were heading with Alexis.  First there was David's wedding and then Moira wanting her to be her full time publicist (although, with Crows shelved, she won't really need her as much now).  I hope she goes and they just pick up the show after a time jump.  Even if Alexis is not in Schitt's Creek right at the start of the season and has her on the phone for an episode or two.  But, I really like Ted so I don't want her to mess that up (again). 

21 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I loved seeing David and Patrick sitting next to each other during the show and both looking so proud of Alexis and Stevie. Ha, and good to see that Alexis has improved her dance skills since A Little Bit Alexis.

Moira's talk with Stevie was so great too. Yes, Moira is still Moira, but like David and Alexis, her awareness and her heart have grown since arriving in Schitt's Creek (Johnny always seemed like the most human of the four when they arrived).

Once upon a time, Moira would have been shoving everyone out of the way (à la George Costanza at a children's birthday party where a fire breaks out) so that she could do a one woman show (or deigning to cast some of the locals as her backup dancers at best) but she was so proud of Stevie which was very sweet to see. As sweet as it was to see her beaming proudly in the wings, I was really glad that she told Stevie too.

Stevie's gift for David was perfect since his repeated request for towels were the first interaction they had.

Did you see that high kick?  I was rolling.  She's still pretty bad. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, cleo said:

I would have preferred just watching Cabaret. Tbh I have dvr-ed the last 6 eps and likely will not watch. I caught this ep by accident.  I enjoyed the show more when it was about the Schitts and the oddball town, not the Schitts finding true love. I am not into Alexis and the vet or David and his fiancee. 

That being said, I enjoyed the Cabaret scenes. 

Also, on a personal note not sure why they are going to the Galapagos but I;ve been and it's incredible. Also kind of sad bc I just don't think the environment will hold for long, so it's like seeing something unique that will disappear. 

I cannot imagine what Alexis could possibly do for more than just a day or two in the Galapagos with Ted. IMO, the only way she could ever maintain any interest in anything is with her romance with Ted. If the writers play true with this character, she should rapidly become very unhappy in the islands and will need to return to some civilization. I may be wrong. But I cannot imagine how her romance with Ted could ever satisfy her needs for the several months they are planning to stay there. I cannot imagine Ted maintaining any kind of interest in her for more than a week or two if they were to really spend that time in the Galapagos.  In this episode, we (the audience) were given a preview of problems to come. At one point, Alexis spoke of her vision of life in the Galapagos and it was quite  different from most any reality that I have ever heard about that place. Alexis spoke of drinking My Tais (or some such tropical drink) but Ted knew the odds of them getting some fancy drinks were extremely low and I suppose we may see one scene during the next few episodes in which Alexis is shown to be very unhappy due to some kind of her own foolish behavior.

My guess is that their experience in the Galapagos will not be shown on-air, but that some of the other characters will receive letters from them and they will appear in flashbacks or some other kind of scenes where they do not have to actually appear in any studio. This entire sequence of events promises to be a huge disappointment. My guess is that neither of those chars are equipped to handle more than just a day or two living with each other in the Galapagos and "roughing it", so to speak. Maybe they will inform us that one of them has been bitten by a snake or something similar and they will only be shown to us in tiny snippets for the remainder of this season (or is it next season?

There may be some secret reason why they do not want to show Alexis for the next few episodes. Perhaps the actress may be have some condition that prevents  her from appearing on-air. I'm just guessing about this. I have no reason to assume she may have any kind of condition. I just can't visualize how the character could ever hold any kind of interest in the Ted char for more than just a day or two if they were all alone in some islands like the Galapagos. The Alexis char is portrayed as a vapid dopey girl who just seems to make lucky choices that always seem to provide her with strange but successful outcomes. IMHO, I believe this is one of the worst aspects of this show. IRL, Alexis would have found herself kicked to the curb many times over by now.  She just does not appreciate the consequences of her decisions. The audience is given the "message" that things work out well for her due to some kind of lucky breaks. The more I think about this, the more I find that char and her story line to be awfully repulsive. Lord, please get me out of here? Thank you.

Edited by MisterBluxom
On 4/10/2019 at 3:50 PM, Pamela said:

Stevie was terrific, too. She doesn't have the best voice, but she really sold the emotion in "Maybe This Time."

Gosh, I thought she had a perfect musical theater voice. Strong, full of emotion. Apparently (in one of the mini docs) Sally Bowles was a dream role for Emily Hampshire, so that’s extra cool she got to do it.

• Love 15

Oh god The Crows Have Eyes 3 got shelved?! I want to crawl in the closet and cry too. It was a weird note to end the season on though. Loved everything Stevie, that rang so true that she's worried everyone is growing somehow and she's staying stagnant. I loved Moira so much for the things she said to Stevie. 

Funniest part for me was in the motel with Moira and Alexis acting so put out about how David's engagement news inconvenienced them. 

• Love 7

I suppose we could take what Stevie said about her discontent at face value, but I still feel like there's something more going on we don't know yet.

Her uncharacteristically emotional reaction to Johnny's health scare made it seem that she was growing fond of the Rose family, and wished to be a part of it, but was unable to voice her affections and still felt herself on the outside. But her reaction to David's engagement seemed strangely off, especially once we realize that she already knew that Patrick planned to propose. 

It feels like there's something we still don't know yet. Could her tryst with the hotel reviewer have resulted in a pregnancy, I wonder?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I just discovered this show a couple of months ago. Heck, I signed up for Hulu Live so I could finish my binge with Season 5. I love this family. I love the little nuances. I love that Patrick is the best TV boyfriend ever. I love that Johnny Rose genuinely loves the people around him. I love Alexis and David's sibling relationship. I love how the family has adopted Stevie, who seems to desperately need a family.

Next year needs to be Stevie's year. And Twyla's year. Both of those women need a happily ever after. 

My only complaint, if there is one, is the hotel. After all this time, don't you think the Roses would have done something to upgrade their surroundings? I don't know - splash some paint on the walls or put up some artwork. 

• Love 10
14 hours ago, screenaddict said:

My only complaint, if there is one, is the hotel. After all this time, don't you think the Roses would have done something to upgrade their surroundings? I don't know - splash some paint on the walls or put up some artwork. 

I've been saying this for a long time! Especially with the new partnership and rebranding! They should do some repainting and redecorating! They could make it a boutique sort of place with black and white Rose-style decor and products from the apothecary. Alexis was supposedly working on rebranding, but David would probably be better at it, given that he has aesthetic vision and some willingness to actually follow through on things. Plus, it would give David a chance to work with Stevie.

I am actually surprised that Alexis is so not into the Galapagos. Didn't a magazine once write that she was "up for anything"? And if her stories are true, she's been in plenty of challenging situations before and just rolled with it. Plus, it isn't like she really does anything in Schitt's Creek. She could just as easily hang around on an island doing nothing. There must be at least a few people to talk to, and she could probably go for a jog periodically. What else does she do?

• Love 6

Also, Google Maps has informed me that there are, in fact, several bars and restaurants in the Galapagos Islands where one could go for a cocktail. The islands may be geared more toward environmentalism and research than beach parties, but it looks like there's as much to do there as in SC for someone like Alexis, who doesn't do anything. You'd think she'd be desperate to go somewhere! Have any of the Roses been further than Elmdale or the neighboring countryside or so since they moved to SC, aside from Moira's stint in the Balkans?

• Love 2

This is the first season finale that ended on a bit of a downer with Moira crying in the closet.  I'm not so sure Alexis is going to follow Ted to the Galapagos.  She seemed really off as he was leaving, and she has had reservations about going all along.  Her dad didn't help with trying to guilt her into staying, and Moira really wants Alexis to be her publicist.  I guess we'll find out at the beginning of next season.

This is belated, but I really hope that the possible hints that Alexis won't go with Ted are red herrings.  I feel like if she skips the trip, we're basically getting a backslide/rehash of season two and Ted going solo on the Honeymoon trip.  He'd made it pretty clear that he would have been willing to stay for her, but she agreed to go.  Now he can't really back out of it.

Admittedly, Alexis's reasons would be less selfish this time: a family crisis is a big deal.  But the Roses, particularly Moira, are always going to have some kind of family crisis.  Alexis has worked so hard to grow into her own person, and I feel like she should be able to start living life on her own terms, just like David has.

• Love 2

With those who felt this season was sub-par in some way I must vehemently disagree. I suppose we're all looking for different things in a show but for me this show has gotten stronger with each passing season and this was no exception. I got all the feels - I was moved, amused and touched by it all.

I really thought the opening number was pretty good! I mean, for a local, amateur production, it was far better than the train wreck I thought it might be. Both Noah Reid and Emily Hampshire turned out to be delightful surprises in their cabaret roles. I was just grinning from ear to ear through the whole thing.

If I had to nitpick I'd say the engagement felt like it came a little too soon, because early this season Patrick didn't even feel like they were ready to live together. Now he's ready to get married? How much time has passed?

The only thing that felt off to me was everyone assuming Stevie was upset that David and Patrick were getting married.  Were they all thinking she was jealous and wanted David for herself?

I think they were afraid it was because she had just broken up with that one guy. When you're fresh off a break-up the last thing you want to hear about is someone getting engaged. When it's your best friend that's even worse.

• Love 10

unless they’re going to break up Alexis and Ted I don’t really understand why she HAD to go with him. Her reasons for not wanting to go were legitimate and it’s only 6 months - why uproot your life. They could just do long distance. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Chas411 said:

unless they’re going to break up Alexis and Ted I don’t really understand why she HAD to go with him. Her reasons for not wanting to go were legitimate and it’s only 6 months - why uproot your life. They could just do long distance.

I also didn't understand why the only options they discussed were both of them going or neither of them going. If they felt like their relationship was too fragile to spend six months apart, then Alexis could go for a month or two in the middle.

• Love 10
On 4/11/2019 at 12:01 PM, gesundheit said:

Damn. If you'd told me during the first season, or even anywhere up till the 3rd, that Schitt's Creek, of all shows, would repeatedly make me cry during the fourth and fifth seasons I would've laughed heartily and rolled my eyes. What a great show.

I've been crying since I think Season 2.  I just watched The Hospies, and it broke my heart to see Stevie hurt like that. After watching a few episodes in a row, I start talking with the same inflection she uses, esp when I'm being snarky about something. 

I just adore her. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

I've been crying since I think Season 2.  I just watched The Hospies, and it broke my heart to see Stevie hurt like that. After watching a few episodes in a row, I start talking with the same inflection she uses, esp when I'm being snarky about something. 

I just adore her. 

After my first binge of this series early this summer, I found myself talking like Alexis, so consider yourself lucky.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, lovett1979 said:

After my first binge of this series early this summer, I found myself talking like Alexis, so consider yourself luck

Ew. 

I just found Stevie singing "Maybe This Time" on YouTube.  😭

On 8/9/2019 at 7:59 PM, iMonrey said:

I really thought the opening number was pretty good! I mean, for a local, amateur production, it was far better than the train wreck I thought it might be. Both Noah Reid and Emily Hampshire turned out to be delightful surprises in their cabaret roles. I was just grinning from ear to ear through the whole thing.

I think people have gotten so used to seeing Liza Minnelli as Sally, or other talented singers, & Sally really isn't talented.   Stevie is in essence singing about herself, she subconsciously knows it, and that's what so heartbreaking about it. 

• Love 5

Gosh I love this series and as it goes on, I am falling in love completely with Stevie and Patrick.

It has reached the point that I actually search out their facial reactions to the entire silliness that is the Schitt family.  They are truly hilarious and what is even more astonishing to me is that they do it with humor and love (mostly).  All communicated thru the facial expressions and often Stevies hilarious delivery.  She is really a gem.

Literally can't wait for season 6......may have to visit Canada in Jan - I live in Wisc, so no trouble except of course winter weather!  

Rethinking that plan as I type!

• Love 4

Late to the party but I enjoyed this episode. Love Patrick in Cabaret and really liked Stevie. I think the role of Sally shouldn't be played by a really strong singer but an emotional one and Emily pulled that off (check out Natasha Richardson's version of Sally to get that as well). 

And I loved that Moira teared up a bit during the number. She was really proud of Stevie. I love that Stevie has gotten to interact a lot with both of the elder Roses these last 2 seasons. I just wish we knew a bit more about her.

I feel Jocelyn got shafted this year a bit and hope she gets to shine some in the last season. 

• Love 5

I am new to this show with it's appearance on Netflix this summer, and I've watched all 5 seasons in only the last 2-3 months, so the one thing I'm having a hard time processing is that 3 years (or more?) have passed on the show.  For me, David & Patrick just met 2 months ago, not 2 years ago, so I kept thinking "wow, that's a fast engagement", when it's really not.

I'll admit, I thought Season 5 was missing something early on - it just wasn't clicking for me.  Things started picking up for me about mid-season, and by The Hospies I felt it was back to the show I loved so much.  These last few episodes have been fabulous! 

I loved the little squee moment Jocelyn and Moira shared as everyone was heading onto stage - I thought that was just so sweet and showed Moira really considered this "their" show, not hers.  I loved that Patrick asked Stevie for her blessing to propose to David, and I thought the towels were a perfect gift.  I loved David just rolling with everyone finding out about the engagement, and not getting all super pissy about it.  But I was sad at how the episode ended, with Moira shutting herself in her safe place, her closet.  I was really sad (and surprised!) when I realized that was the last episode for the season!  I'm so glad it's not long before Season 6 starts!

Speaking of Season 6... 

I hope for Season 6 there's a time jump and Alexis & Ted did go to the Galapagos but are back (but, please!  give us an Alexis in Galapagos flashback montage!) and either the wedding happens in the first episode or 2, or it's already just happened.  Though I really do want to see what David wears to his own wedding.  I desperately hope someone's prediction (above) that Stevie is pregnant is wrong.  But if Alexis came back from the Galapagos 6 months pregnant that would be funny.  I am with everyone else wondering how the motel hasn't had any noticeable improvements in the last 2 years, so that would be nice to see before the series ends.  I think the idea above of a black & white theme would be fabulous!  And please, get Johnny a real business to run.  He deserves it.  I'd be happy to see him somehow becoming a motel magnate, along with Stevie, of course.  Maybe the show ends with David & Patrick and Alexis & Ted all moving away, and Johnny & Moira adopt Stevie and stay in Schitt's Creek and they live happily ever after.

• Love 10
On 4/10/2019 at 6:37 PM, weightyghost said:

On 4/11/2019 at 10:40 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

On 4/11/2019 at 7:53 PM, Florinaldo said:

We got three numbers (I am including "Money" from 2 episodes ago). For actors who are not musical theater regulars that was already asking them a lot in the short production time of a TV episode. The show used what are probably the three most recognizable numbers from the musical, which also left time for the rest of the plots (although I agree that the transition from Stevie crying to her being AWOL felt brutal). Perhaps we'll get outtakes from other numbers at some point, but I felt that what we saw was satisfying and enough to prove that the production was a success on all fronts (as an amateur production).

Amongst many enjoyable moments I would single out Stevie saying that Patrick asked for her blessing a few weeks previously and David not even batting an eye, because of course it is the most normal thing that his fiancé-to-be would go to her instead of his parents.

Also the full grinning proud faces of Ted and David in the audience; it's difficult to say if the latter was happier for Patrick or for Stevie.

Alexis's dancing was so good. It shows you how talented the actress really was when she pretended to be so horrible in her audition. Also, her singing and dancing in the audition was still a lot better than Paris Hilton

This show has inherited the heart that Arrested Development lost so long ago, without it turning into a total sap fest.

I hope Alexis did get on the plane, though the hardships will be very difficult for her. Ted is such a great guy and I am glad she is finally appreciated him.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 7

rewatching this episode-- I just want to say that the thing that kills me (besides Stevie's face after Moira's intermission non-pep talk) is Ted-- the theatre newbie-- sitting in the audience with his program book open-- trying to follow along. It's such a small thing, but so perfect for the character.

• Love 8

Just finished Season 5. I was surprised that the Season ended on a down note with Moira devastated after the Crows movie was pulled. Prior seasons always ended happily. 

Loved the Cabaret numbers. I went back and watched both twice. Also loved Moira and Jocelyn gleefully clapping as they watched. Moira always remembered that Jocelyn was her assistant director. 

Loved Moira's pep talk with Stevie and loved Stevie's gift of the towels for David. 

I could see Alexis going to join Ted in the Galapagos but I can't see her staying more than a week. 

I think that Roland is likely the most annoying character on television. 

• Love 3
On 4/10/2019 at 3:50 PM, Pamela said:

And Patrick as the MC...man. He was fabulous. Stevie was terrific, too. She doesn't have the best voice, but she really sold the emotion in "Maybe This Time."

We knew Noah Reid was a singer ("Simply the Best") so his well-received performance wasn't that much of a surprise (but still very enjoyable to watch). The real mystery was "Stevie" and Emily Hampshire's singing prowess. And they didn't disappoint. I thought her performance was perfect. Anything more polished wouldn't have been true to the character. If Emily Hampshire can belt it out even more strongly, like a Broadway veteran, they made the right choice to pull her back a bit. If not, she still did a fine job. 

At one point, Alexis spoke of her vision of life in the Galapagos and it was quite  different from most any reality that I have ever heard about that place. 

Also, Google Maps has informed me that there are, in fact, several bars and restaurants in the Galapagos Islands where one could go for a cocktail.

I've had the good fortune to visit the Galapagos Islands (twice actually). It is a wonderful place, but as Ted correctly hinted, it's not "Club Med" or really any type of resort. It's a giant nature preserve - a national park. Ecuador rightly and tightly manages the number of visitors, where they go, and where they stay. Let's just say even its largest settlement isn't in any sense a "party town."

Edited by ahpny
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 4/9/2019 at 11:57 PM, Fake Jan Brady said:

My favourite relationship in this show always has been/always will be Stevie and David. Her happiness at his engagement news, his pride in her performance - I teared up both times.

I'd pay scalper prices to see Moira Rose presents Cabaret.

I love their friendship so much. David's face during the performance was life.

On 4/10/2019 at 7:21 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I loved that Stevie knew David was hiding something and immediately jumped up to hug him when he told her the big news. I love their friendship so much.

I know that Moira is Moira, but I felt so bad that David and Patrick's attempt at an engagement announcement kept getting interrupted by Moira (first by her phone ringing and then by her screaming because her movie got shelved). I'm not one of those people who thinks it's okay to be a bridezilla who yells at everyone about how "THIS IS MY DAY!" but poor David just wanted to share his news with everyone.

I really want to see the whole Cabaret production! Before watching the season finale, I watched the season premiere of Fosse/Verdon and both episodes had the same title (Life Is a Cabaret) so I feel like I need to go watch Cabaret now.

I mean, basically all of this. Why am I even posting. 😆

I did love how Moira dismissed the news with the idea that they have their entire lives to celebrate. 

On 4/10/2019 at 2:50 PM, Pamela said:

Agreed. Moira's scene with Stevie was so lovely; she really has grown (and so has Stevie, for that matter) and I wanted Crows to be a success for her. It didn't detract from my enjoyment of the episode, but it was an odd note to end the season on.

I really didn't expect Moira/Stevie to be a pairing that destroyed me, but it was so so great.

The excerpts of the show were so freaking good.

Cabaret has particular meaning for me. A mentor who was murdered played the Emcee. The show always makes me think of him, so I was probably already predisposed to be a bit of a mess, but this was just so great. 

• Love 4
On 4/10/2019 at 5:19 AM, PWHCHCH said:

I think this is why they had the Stevie & Patrick dance rehearsal almost in full in the previous episode. Also we needed to see how good they were and how much effort they put into learning the choreography in stages, otherwise the opening dance here would have been too unbelievable.