Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
OnceSane

S08.E06: Episode 6

Mother Mildred returns to Nonnatus while Nurse Crane is in hospital receiving treatment for her back. With help from Trixie, she provides care for a retired dock worker whose former job has taken its toll on his health, only to discover his son may be suffering from a more severe condition. However, her insensitive manner angers the family and they refuse to let her help them.

Airs February 17, 2019.

It's been a while since the show tackled an issue of social history (not related to obstetrics). It's easy to forget that the Nonnatus ladies also work as district nurses. And although we're entering the 60's with a booming economy this was a good reminder that things like safety and health regulations in workplaces were still not a given.

When the young girl arrived my first thought was 'not another botched abortion'. Her story was heart-breaking but I wondered about her legal situation. Could her parents still force her to give up the child like they obviously did when she was 15? IIRC she was 17 and I think that meant still a minor. Too bad the show can't give serialized plots to non-regular characters. Her story would have been interesting to follow. At least Miss Higgins got another opportunity to shine. Her advice to Lucille was very good. However I wish they had given that story to Nurse Crane, who grew up with a single mother and all the stigma of being born out of wedlock.

Mother Mildred is not letting me down and enjoyed her presence even if it came at the price of Nurse Crane's lumbago (sorry Phyllis). But I'm glad she ran into some stumbling blocks - I find it tedious when those salt-of-the-earth types can just waltz in and since they're about to do good works steamroll others feelings and concerns and obligations. Glad she got called out and was willing to learn a lesson.

And we finally got some more background on Valerie - though I'm not sure we really needed so much medical detail on her grandmother's backside. I wonder grandma and her problems will become relevant later on.

I wish I could feel more enthusiasm for Lucille's romance. And Sister Monica Joan got off way too easily for creating so much trouble.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Like 1

I understand that the young pregnant girl was traumatised by having her first baby forcibly taken and was desperate for a new baby but couldn't she have waited until she was eighteen so there would be no chance of it happening again? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowwhyte said:

I understand that the young pregnant girl was traumatised by having her first baby forcibly taken and was desperate for a new baby but couldn't she have waited until she was eighteen so there would be no chance of it happening again? 

Or better yet, waited until she’d actually got a husband or at least a boyfriend who’d be willing to stand by her. 

I found it difficult to be as sympathetic towards her as I’m sure the viewers were expected to be. 

Yes, it’s terrible that she was forced to give up her first baby but what on earth did she expect was going to happen the second time round?

my first thoughts though when she mentioned the adoption was to start counting backwards and wondering whether she was going to be Angela’s birth mother. 

She was obviously traumatized by the experience of her first birth - so I give her a pass. Also: teenagers are not exactly known for making rational decisions. Her parents on the other hand can go and rot in their little shop of decency. I can understand why they decided to give her first baby away - single mothers didn't have it easy and the social stigma was real. But from what we've seen of them I doubt their daughter's well-being was really their first concern. Their reputation was and their kid's emotional pain was probably considered a just punishment. She got no help and decided to cope with her loss the only way she could. Get pregnant again. Of course those two paragons of virtue never even paused and listened why she did it but went straight to more or less calling her a slut. They've now lost two grandchildren and their own kid to their righteousness. But at least they got that dingy little shop and each other.

Yeah, I don't think this girl made a terriblly intelligent decision but it was one born out of grief.  The only way she knew to stop the grief was to have another baby.  She wasn't thinking of what happens next she was thinking of easing the pain.   

On 2/18/2019 at 12:48 PM, MissLucas said:

And we finally got some more background on Valerie

I wish they would give us a Valerie-centric episode. I love her and am dying to know more about her background. At the moment she's just the peppy, attractive, East End girl-made-good. Tell me what makes her tick, please!

I liked the young woman's story because it reminded me of the girl in the first Christmas special.  Her "decent" parents let her keep the baby (after first feeling shamed).  So while I felt for this latest woman, I liked they showed the realism that not every family is accepting of an out-of-wedlock baby.

• Like 1